Author Topic: I was abused by AA and think they should be shut down  (Read 943 times)

Offline SUCK IT

• View Profile
I was abused by AA and think they should be shut down
« on: May 16, 2010, 11:52:27 PM »
I voluntarily decided to go to an AA meeting and I was horribly abused and want to tell you about it. First of all I was abused with starvation, they only had coffee and donuts and I expected a full meal because I was hungry! I was subjected to a forced public LGAT session and was humiliated by it and that will have lasting effects on me. The people there were so cruel they purposely blew cigarette smoke in my personal space subjecting me to lung cancer, heart disease and early death. I felt myself being brainwashed and this scared me a lot. I thought about leaving but the meeting was in a bad neighborhood and I was scared I might get beat up while walking to the bus stop. This person offered me a ride home and while on the ride home they tried to brainwash me more and this was a very abusive experience overall and I hope the government will shut down all abusive programs like AA soon.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
one day at a time

Offline Free Will

• View Profile
Re: I was abused by AA and think they should be shut down
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 04:30:10 PM »
AA is voluntary.  It may be a stupid idea but it's a voluntary stupid idea.  Sure informed consent isn't always there, like when the judge or the prison or whatever forces you there.  And it teaches bullshit...  but mostly it's a voluntary stupid idea.  I have no problem with voluntary stupid ideas.  Never have, never will.  Buyers of a product of treatment have the right to choose what they want, even if it's bunk.  At a certain point you just have to trust in people to educate themselves before they leap.  Force them by government?  Hell no.  That violates their rights to choose which treatment methods to use on their sovereign being.  If you want to eradicate AA, educate, and show it to be the bullshit that it is.  Google Penn & Teller on AA / 12 Step and watch the videos.  They did a good job of poking holes in it.

However I do have a problem with forcing people into AA.  That sort of government force has got to stop.  People have a right to refuse treatment (and I use the term "treatment" loosely as I do not see drug use as a disease, rather, a choice).
To be ‘cured’ against one’s will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level with those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals. But to be punished, however severely, because we have deserved it, because we ‘ought to have known better’, is to be treated as a human person made in God’s image.
[size=85]C.S. Lewis - The Humanitarian Theory of Punishment[/size]

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
Re: I was abused by AA and think they should be shut down
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 06:05:42 PM »
Quote from: "Free Will"
AA is voluntary.  It may be a stupid idea but it's a voluntary stupid idea.  Sure informed consent isn't always there, like when the judge or the prison or whatever forces you there.  And it teaches bullshit...  but mostly it's a voluntary stupid idea.  I have no problem with voluntary stupid ideas.  Never have, never will.  Buyers of a product of treatment have the right to choose what they want, even if it's bunk.  At a certain point you just have to trust in people to educate themselves before they leap.  Force them by government?  Hell no.  That violates their rights to choose which treatment methods to use on their sovereign being.  If you want to eradicate AA, educate, and show it to be the bullshit that it is.  Google Penn & Teller on AA / 12 Step and watch the videos.  They did a good job of poking holes in it.

However I do have a problem with forcing people into AA.  That sort of government force has got to stop.  People have a right to refuse treatment (and I use the term "treatment" loosely as I do not see drug use as a disease, rather, a choice).

:shamrock:  :shamrock:  :shamrock:

This commentary by you freewill I could not agree with more, most folks I know having anything to do with AA feel the exact same way, problem AA as a whole can not and will not fix it. Yes I said fix, because I feel it is going against everything AA stands for to force folks to go there. Second I have never thought or felt that alcoholism or drug addiction was a disease noooooooooo.....a physical, mental and emotional addiction yes.

Danny
Stand and fight, till there is no more.