Author Topic: Infiltrating AA  (Read 3112 times)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Infiltrating AA
« on: May 15, 2010, 12:59:02 AM »
I've decided I have a new life goal, infiltrating an AA meeting and getting all the Boozers and loosers on film so I can make a mockumentary out of it. Any tips and suggestions on how to sound and look like a right proper AA Boozer/Looser?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline alcoholics anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Infiltrating AA
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 01:20:57 AM »

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 01:38:42 AM »
Leave em be.  I might think that what they do is lunacy but their privacy should be respected.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 02:01:10 AM »
Infiltrate away Che I'll do whatever I can to help.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 03:08:39 AM »
Be funny as hell if i could find a Chinese one.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
Re: Recon waaay back East
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 03:43:45 AM »
Maybe Daytop has some networking possibilities thereabouts.
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 10:21:14 AM »
NOW THAT is fascinating.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 12:17:47 PM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
Be funny as hell if i could find a Chinese one.

:shamrock:  :shamrock:  

Well info is usually sketchy but I have a friend that attends AA meeting frequently in Shanghai, Beijing, Shenyang, Chengdu, Zhengzhou, Hong Kong and of course Taiwan. Most of these are at american facilities ie: work, American social clubs ect... He travels extensively throughout as you can see and according to him AA is up and running for Americans and the Chinese.
Hey if anyone is around Texas in July (very hot) San Antonio is holding, The International AA World Conference. You definitely will meet a delegation from China or better yet maybe I will talk with one and send you the info, Che.  
They (AA Meetings) are also very big in the mother country, USSR.

Danny
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 06:51:41 PM »
Hmm.. The possibility of showing up to an AA meeting with a few bottles of Rice Whiskey appeals to me. Epic hilarity to ensue.. caught on camera of course.

I bet I could get some promotional offers out of it. Make it into a franchise of trolls fucking with loons and cultists.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 07:46:08 PM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
I've decided I have a new life goal, infiltrating an AA meeting and getting all the Boozers and loosers on film so I can make a mockumentary out of it. Any tips and suggestions on how to sound and look like a right proper AA Boozer/Looser?

:shamrock:  :shamrock:

Your already there and please do drop by. How Place Inc. Woodstock Ga. We would love to have you come join us. Bring your camera, your bottle of booze and all your wit, we have a chair for ya. I get a feeling at some point in your life you will be visiting us anyways so make it a little early and save everyone in your life the aggravation of watching you slowly melt away.

Danny
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 08:23:23 PM »
alcoholics anonymous

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 09:17:09 PM »
Do me a favor, Che. Please don't video the one my Mom attends. This is another case where ignorance is bliss for me.

Holy Jesus was it hard for me to deal with her when she first went. First, because I didn't know she had a problem. It reminded me of The Will and Grace episode when Grace mistakenly attends an AA meeting but ends up returning regularly because its the only time anyone will listen to her. So what if she has to pretend to be an alcoholic to do it?

Anyway, when Mom first started AA, she set new bounadries, which was uncomfortable for all of us because we don't have a drinking problem. We have a drinking wellness. Anyway, she got boundary happy and some were beneficial and some were ridiculously arbitary. I think she just never set any in her life and she went extemis maximus.

AA gave her the chance to say Fuck You and draw the line in the sand. She was patronizing and platitude happy.  I kind of avoided her during her Honeymoon phase of AA. Fortunately, she eventually reached equilibrium.

The weird thing is that after all her purging in group, she finally and unexpectedly apologized for being a negligent mother and knows she left a void that will never be filled. The conversation was heavier and more complex but it was a very validating moment for me.  I don't know if she ever would have gotten there without telling and listening to all the horror stories in AA.

I think one of the most painful things a person can feel is invalidation. That is why so many of us can't discuss the program with our parents.  But I find myself invalidating religion and programs because I am so distrustful of ideological groupthink.  

I embarked on yet another random tangent again, but to address Che's mockumentary - it would be epically hilarious. The AA version of Borat. But - at the same time, it could never happen for legal reasons. And, I still feel like adults should join whatever group they want whether its Grandmas for Goats or Swinging Singles who Swill Swiss Mocha.

Everyone needs their own Private Idaho.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 01:03:26 AM »
the whole idea seems a little mean. People go to 12 step meetings because they are trying to address some personal issue or flaw. They are not hurting anyone and they are a vulnerable population. It seems a bit harsh to have them pour their hearts out to you only to be publically humiliated. Im with Psy leave them be.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 01:38:04 AM »
It isn't half as mean as us being subjected to Danny's blathering.

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 11:00:45 AM »
Legally, he can't do it, so no worries... unless he got permission from other member which is unlikely. Unless he went to the one in Hollywood. Then, they'd be scrambling for face time.

AA is the only safe place certain people have to unload every ugly thing and admit it all or purge it all. You can do this with a shrink, but that doesn't provide a fellowship of support.

It was really hard for me to deal with my Mom's initial foray in to AA because at first she was very dogmatic. She had to renegotiate her relationships, and it was hard for all of us. People get into entrenched relational patterns, so  if someone changes, it is hard for everyone else to re-adjust. (Even if the changes are beneficial to the initiator.) For me, it was uncomfortable at first, partly becuase I am so conditioned against group think. My Dad is the same way I am, but more generous in spirit.  I had to resist the urge to cite the Orange Papers. My Dad has always been a cold turkey guy, so he doesn't understand the need for a group. He quit smoking cold turkey, he quit vodka cold turkey (after realizing he had lost the ability to distininguish vodka from water), and his mother, a raging mean, gun toting alcoholic quit cold turkey as well. So, he doesn't really understand the support group rationale. (But he was also the one who told my Mother he wasn't sending me back after I split the program. He never totally brought what they sold.)

Her center is a mexican version of AA so, they are a bit more relaxed.

After two years, I'd say the changes she made were  beneficial to her. Once she got over the initial immersion, it was also beneficial to us. She doesn't feel like it is her job to make every fucking person happy when they don't want to be. She stopped overbooking herself and killing herself for people who don't apreciate it, she let go of some resentments, and finally, was able to apologize without defensiveness when the case is warranted. She was raised in an environment where her feelings did not matter and she finally learned what her feelings reallly were and you can be true to yourself without being a shmuck. She started to be able to validate other people's feelings, instead of saying "get over it." The irony is that people tend to get over things more quickly once they are validated.) It also really helped her get perspective over things we can't control. These are all good things, so who am I to invalidate her experience because of mine? She chose it.