Author Topic: Two girls missing from SUWS  (Read 11894 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Two girls missing from SUWS
« on: May 07, 2010, 03:30:27 AM »
Hunt is on for two runaway teens, by Richelle Bailey, The Mcdowell News, May 6 2010

Missing and wanted page on Fornits Wiki is updated.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Hunt is on for two runaway teens
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 10:14:45 AM »
The McDowell News Covering Marion and McDowell County, NC
Hunt is on for two runaway teens
By Richelle Bailey
Published: May 06, 2010

A search is on for two teenage girls who walked away from a wilderness camp in Old Fort Thursday morning.

As of deadline Thursday evening, McDowell County sheriff's deputies and staff members of SUWS of the Carolinas were still hunting for 16-year-olds Katelynn Hall and Kayla Sunray.

Chief Deputy Sam Arrowood of the Sheriff's Office said the girls were last seen at the base camp on Graphite Road around 6 a.m. Someone noticed their disappearance at 7 a.m., and authorities were notified at 8 a.m.

"They left their group and ran away," he stated, adding that deputies respond to calls concerning SUWS runaways several times a year.

SUWS is a therapeutic wilderness program for struggling youth.

Hall, who is originally from Dyer, Ind., stands 5 feet, 7 inches tall and weighs 110 pounds. She has blond hair and blue eyes. Sunray, who is from Clinton, Va., stands 5 feet, 7 inches tall and weighs 160 pounds. She has brown hair and brown eyes.

Anyone with information concerning the girls' whereabouts is asked to call the McDowell County Sheriff’s Office at 652-4000 or McDowell County Crimestoppers at 65-CRIME. With Crimestoppers, your identity remains anonymous, and you could receive a cash reward.

©2010 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Hunt is on for two runaway teens
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 10:17:23 AM »
Some interesting Comments on the above article:

Posted by ErgoProxy on May 7, 2010 - 5:25 a.m.
    What the article did not mention is that the wilderness camp in question has killed two children, Gregory Owen Jones at age 13 in 1985, and Rocco Magliozi, age 12, in 2006. Aspen Education Group, the owner of SUWS, is responsible for many more deaths, including those of Sergey Blaschischen and Brendan Blum.They have absolutely no consideration for the lives or well-being of the children in their "care". The parents are either ill-informed, sadistic, or both.Do not, repeat DO NOT contact the Sheriff's Department or anyone else if you see these girls. If you want to help, give them money, a place to stay, and do not tell ANYONE anything about them until they are 18 and safely out of this program's clutches.
    Comment above subsequently replaced with: This comment violates our posting policies and has been removed.[/list]
    Posted by The_Sea_Captain on May 7, 2010 - 5:39 a.m.
      ErgoProxy, I know nothing about SUWS but it sounds as though you do. I hope the girls find a safe haven and do not fall prey to a predator. It's a wild and unforgiving world these days. They need allot of prayer and a little luck. I guess life has been less than kind to them or they wouldn’t have been there in the first place. Navigate Prudently!
    Posted by mountainman10 on May 7, 2010 - 7:18 a.m.
      I pray that these young ladies are safe and find the help they need to live as close a normal life as they can in this crazy mixed up world. i also pray that the perverts that read this article dont get any stupid ideas.
    Posted by Zerozx on May 7, 2010 - 4:59 p.m.
      I don't see why Ergo's post was removed...
    Posted by ErgoProxy on May 7, 2010 - 5:48 p.m.
      What the article did not mention is that the wilderness camp in question has killed two children, Gregory Owen Jones at age 13 in 1985, and Rocco Magliozi, age 12, in 2006. Aspen Education Group, the owner of SUWS, is responsible for many more deaths, including those of Sergey Blaschischen and Brendan Blum. They have absolutely no consideration for the lives or well-being of the children in their "care". The parents are either ill-informed, sadistic, or both. Do not, repeat DO NOT contact the Sheriff's Department or anyone else if you see these girls. If you want to help, give them money, a place to stay, and do not tell ANYONE anything about them until they are 18 and safely out of this program's clutches. Additionally, McDowell News doesn't like me posting this because it doesn't fit their narrative and/or their relationship with the owners of this "school".
    Posted by ChuckF on May 8, 2010 - 8:24 a.m.
      To ErgoProxy and Everybody Reading It's easy to pick a few times when the program didn't work, since only troubled teens who are a danger to themselves and others are there, it would be a surprise if over the years there weren't a few unfortunate cases where the teen did harm themselves. I am not trying to minimize those tragedies and I feel for their families.With that said, SUWS is truly a wonderful program. They have helped thousands of teens, including my daughter, to become happier and more successful. The wilderness experience is designed to teach them to become responsible for themselves in a healthy outdoor environment, away from the distractions and bad influences that were part of the initial problem. Probably, more of the the teens would have hurt or killed themselves if they had not been sent to the camp.The two girls were found Thursday evening, thanks to someone who read the news and did not do anything as irresponsible as ErgoProxy suggested but rather alerted the police. Thanks!
    Posted by PolterGuest on May 10, 2010 - 3:43 a.m.
      I'm not sure I understand how ChuckF came to the conclusion that the mortality count in Aspen's wilderness programs is due to circumstances where "the teen did harm themselves." Or that "probably, more of the the teens would have hurt or killed themselves if they had not been sent to the camp."I in no way wish to undermine ChuckF's good fortune and experience with this program, but his generalizations seem highly inflammatory in light of the FACTS.

©2010 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    Re: Two girls missing from SUWS
    « Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 10:39:47 AM »
    I hope these kids had a little wilderness training prior to them taking off.  Lets all hope for the best.

Here is an interesting stat that surprised me:

One in seven kids between the ages of 10 and 18 will run away at some point. And there are 1 million to 3 million runaway and homeless kids living on the streets in the United States.

In 1999, an estimated 1,682,900 youth had a runaway/thrownaway episode.

Offline RavingMad

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 10:46:46 AM »
    THIS IS ACTUALLY REALLY SAD. IS THERE A LOT OF PEOPLE OUT LOOKING FOR THEM? HOW DOES A KID GET THE COURAGE TO RUNAWAY IN A COMPLETLY BAD AREA LIKE THAT. THERE IS THREE OF THEM SO MAYBE THEY CAN RELY ON EACH OTHER TO.
    RETARDS GET A LIFE...DO NOT POST ON FORNITS, IT WILL DAMAGE YOUR BRAIN AND ACCOMPLISHES NOTHING OF VALUE.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 11:05:38 AM »
    Quote from: "RavingMad"
    HOW DOES A KID GET THE COURAGE TO RUNAWAY IN A COMPLETLY BAD AREA LIKE THAT.

Desperation.
    traight, St. Pete, early 80s
    AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 11:19:39 AM »
    THIS IS ACTUALLY REALLY SAD. IS THERE A LOT OF PEOPLE OUT LOOKING FOR THEM? HOW DOES A KID GET THE COURAGE TO RUNAWAY IN A COMPLETLY BAD AREA LIKE THAT. THERE IS THREE OF THEM SO MAYBE THEY CAN RELY ON EACH OTHER TO.

Its actually a really nice area.  It use to be a boy scout camp so there are tons of trails and lakes to camp near and the weather is good this time of year.  There are also existing railroad tracks they can follow which will take them into town.  If they have learned any survival skills they should be fine for awhile.  although if they were my kids I would be worried out of my mind.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Teens Missing from Girls Camp
    « Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 11:25:41 AM »
    THERE IS THREE OF THEM SO MAYBE THEY CAN RELY ON EACH OTHER TO.
    Unless you know something I don't, I believe there are only two of them. But yes, hopefully they will be able to rely on one another.

Below follows a short piece from a local news station...

Another piece on the same website notes that North Carolina ranks as the eighth most likely state in the U.S. where human trafficking occurs, particularly in this more rural part of the state.

WLOS ABC 13 News
    Teens Missing from Girls Camp
    Thursday, May 6 2010, 12:39 PM EDT

Deputies in McDowell County are searching for two teenagers who ran off from a camp for troubled girls.

Authorities say Kayla Sunray and Katelynn Hall ran away sometime this morning from the SUWS camp on Graphite Rd. in Old Fort.

Anyone with information on their whereabouts should call the McDowell County Sheriff's Office at 828-652-4000.

Copyright ©2010, WLOS-TV

Offline RavingMad

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 11:34:57 AM »
    I THOUGHT IT WAS THREE MY BAD.
    RETARDS GET A LIFE...DO NOT POST ON FORNITS, IT WILL DAMAGE YOUR BRAIN AND ACCOMPLISHES NOTHING OF VALUE.

Offline RavingMad

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 11:36:32 AM »
    Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

Desperation.
    OK SO WHY DID THEY RUN TO BEGIN WITH. WHAT DOES THAT PLACE DO. WERE THE GIRLS HURT BY SOMEONE. OR ARE THEY SNOTS THAT LIKE BRAKEN RULES.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 11:37:23 AM »

Desperation.
    OK SO WHY DID THEY RUN TO BEGIN WITH. WHAT DOES THAT PLACE DO. WERE THE GIRLS HURT BY SOMEONE. OR ARE THEY SNOTS THAT LIKE BRAKEN RULES.

What's braken?

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline RavingMad

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 11:52:13 AM »
    BREAKING GRRR YOU KNEW THAT TOO

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 01:43:32 PM »

Desperation.

There could be many reasons why they are running.  Maybe they were told they were moving onto another program or they were told they were going home and didn’t want to go back home to the same old problems.  Maybe it was early on in their stay and they were avoiding issues that they didn’t want to face and decided running was the best option.

But most kids run because they feel they are not wanted where they are.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 04:07:14 PM »
    Quote from: "Whooter"

Desperation.

There could be many reasons why they are running.  Maybe they were told they were moving onto another program or they were told they were going home and didn’t want to go back home to the same old problems.  Maybe it was early on in their stay and they were avoiding issues that they didn’t want to face and decided running was the best option.

But most kids run because they feel they are not wanted where they are.

Or....they're just scared they'll end up like some other Aspen Ed kids did while under their, ahem,  "care".  Dead.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 04:20:44 PM »

Or....they're just scared they'll end up like some other Aspen Ed kids did while under their, ahem,  "care".  Dead.

or maybe they were taken by aliens.  lol