Author Topic: Joyce's bills would curb shock treatments at Canton school  (Read 6377 times)

Offline Eliscu2

• New World Order
    • View Profile
Joyce's bills would curb shock treatments at Canton school
http://http://www.wickedlocal.com/stoughton/news/x43863018/Joyces-bills-would-curb-shock-treatments-at-Canton-school

By Candace Hall
Canton Journal
Posted Apr 20, 2010 @ 02:40 PM
Canton — State Sen. Brian Joyce hopes that two ongoing investigations will bring more scrutiny to the practice of aversive therapy at the Judge Rotenberg Center (JRC) in Canton, spurring legislators to pass his bills that will more strictly regulate the practice.

The JRC is a private, public-funded school for special education children with severe challenges, including those who are developmentally delayed, autistic and emotionally disturbed.

Both the state’s attorney general and the U. S. Department of Justice have been investigating the center after complaints about a 2007 incident at the center, as well as complaints from more than 30 disability groups.

“We’ve seen horrible abuses, and family members have been interviewed, and I’m hopeful,” Joyce said.

The senator has been trying to ban the practice, which gives electric shocks and other pain-inducing treatments to students who have severe behavior problems, for about 10 years. He said the JRC is the only school in the country that uses this type of therapy.

The practice that Joyce most strongly objects to is shock therapy using a remotely controlled shock devise that is attached to the student through a fanny or backpack. According to a report of the New York State Educational Department, the students wear the devises for the majority of their sleeping and walking hours, and some are required to wear them during shower/bath time.  

hough JRC lawyers argue that aversive shock therapy is already heavily regulated, Joyce said it’s not enough. He said he has heard of children being shocked “hundreds, sometimes thousands for times,” with some children being burned through the shock treatment.

One of the most alarming cases, he said, was in 2007, when a person made a prank call to the school pretending to be a JRC staff member. Joyce said the caller ordered the staff to awaken two students who were shocked repeatedly while their arms and legs were bound. One of the students was burned 77 times over a period of three hours.

The incident led the state attorney’s office to investigative the incident, which is still ongoing.    Since then, the JRC has cooperated with law and state officials in every way, and a number of changes have been made to prevent a similar occurrence, said Michael Flammia, a lawyer for the JRC.

Flammia also said students who undergo the process have to have parent permission, and approvals by a judge in a probate court, as well as a peer review committee and doctor before getting the treatment.

“It’s the most regulated form of therapy that exists,” he said.

But Joyce is not satisfied with current regulations, and he is pressing for more. His two bills aim to better control the aversive therapy, rather than ban it, which he thinks is a compromise that could sway house members to vote yes.

One bill would set up unified standards that specify the scope of techniques permissible under laws. The other bill would establish a commission to investigate electric shock therapy, as well as a peer review group, which would work with the states’ Department of Developmental Services to set up new standards.   Joyce said even though a peer group is currently involved with the approval process, it consists mostly of people who are affiliated with the JRC and he does not feel they provide adequate oversight.

“I want a true objective look at this - not a review by interested parties,” Joyce said.

Even though he is still in favor of banning shock therapy, Joyce said that he moderated his stance because he’s faced strong opposition in previous bills, including Rep. Jeffrey Sanchez, D-Boston, who has a nephew who is a JRC student and receives shock therapy. He said that Sanchez has been an effective spokesperson for the aversive therapy, saying it’s the only method that can keep his nephew from harming, and even killing himself.

Joyce feels that legislators have voted repeatedly against the ban, through the urging of Sanchez, and JRC supporters. Now, he thinks these two bills could be the compromise that spurs both the house and senate to pass his bills.

“It’s a harder thing to argue against than the outright ban,” he said.

The new legislation has the support of many educators, including Alan Dewey, who oversees special education for the Canton School Department. He thinks there’s a need for the treatment because of severe cases that he’s seen, including a child who tried to take his own eyeball out with his thumb. But he also feels that there has to be stricter regulations enforced.

“It needs stronger oversight, so I think it’s a good bill,” he said.

The school has about 220 students from seven states, including Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Ohio, New Hampshire and Florida. About half those students receive aversive therapy.

Sen. Brian Joyce said that his legislation aims to limit aversive therapy to “just a few of the most extreme cases” performed with licensed clinicians, used only on self-abusive or dangerous kids.

But Flammia argued that there are some students who may not be dangerous to themselves or others, but are capable of disrupting classrooms, and are in need of the treatment.

“If students were smashing computer on the ground, or disrobing, or screaming at the top of their lungs, they could not be treated,” he said.

Adding that the JRC treats the most serious behavior problems imaginable, Flammia said students on aversive therapy have been exposed to every other treatment possible. He said the only other alternatives have been to place the children on powerful psychotropic drugs, which had led to them being barely conscious during the day and in some cases becoming obese. JRC parents prefer aversive therapy to their children being heavily drugged, he said.

Whether or not the legislation is passed, the JRC is bound to be under intensive scrutiny as long as it continues aversive shock therapy. The U. S. Department of Justice’s investigation, launched this February, was spurred by letters from 31 different disability groups. The September 30 letter states that “almost every national disability organization agrees that the use of painful procedures to change a person’s behavior is unnecessary, inhumane, and should be banned.”

The center has also been the target of complaints and investigations by a number of state and out-of state agencies. Since the school was founded in 1971, the states of California and Rhode Island have withdrawn their students and passed forms of legislation banning aversive therapy in their own states. New Jersey has suspended any new referrals to the school.

“My hope is that these investigations will shed light on what is happening behind the walls of the JRC,” Joyce said.

Candace Hall can be reached at [email protected]
Copyright 2010 Stoughton Journal. Some rights reserved
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
WELCOME TO HELL!

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Joyce's bills would curb shock treatments at Canton school
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 09:46:08 PM »
Whilst I find it heartening that Mr. Joyce is at least attempting to do something, I find it incredibly dismaying that his efforts are directed at further entrenching the use of this sort of thing within the heart of the system. Passing new legislation that regulates it only validates it further.

Can't blame the guy for trying though, he is trying to do something for the kids, and from the sounds of it he's down to the wire.

I'd rather see him roll an M-1A2 onto the place and flatten it.

Offline Eliscu2

• New World Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 09:50:49 PM »
Che said:"I'd rather see him roll an M-1A2 onto the place and flatten it."

:notworthy:
WELCOME TO HELL!

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 08:13:24 AM »
If the shock therapy was found to be ineffective or cruel then I am sure Brian Joyce would be pushing to outlaw it altogether.  The problems that I have read so far stem from the therapy not being controlled enough.  So I think the pursuit of regulation is a good path to take at this point.  I haven’t seen a convincing argument which shows shock therapy to be less humane than the restraints and heavy medication these children were being subjected to prior to reaching this point.

The information has pointed towards many of these children getting off the drugs and restraints altogether and having a chance at a decent life.  To me, quality of life needs to also be considered in the equation.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 11:02:52 AM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
If the shock therapy was found to be ineffective or cruel then I am sure Brian Joyce would be pushing to outlaw it altogether.
He was pushing to outlaw it altogether. For years and years and years. From the above article:

The senator has been trying to ban the practice, which gives electric shocks and other pain-inducing treatments to students who have severe behavior problems, for about 10 years. He said the JRC is the only school in the country that uses this type of therapy.[/list]

Unfortunately, JRC has some strong local political support. It may only be a few folks, but they are in key positions. These latest bills are an attempt, a compromise, to at least get some better oversight in place. However, they are certainly not the be-all end-all goal for anti-JRC activists.

I haven't seen a convincing argument which shows shock therapy to be less humane than the restraints and heavy medication these children were being subjected to prior to reaching this point.

The information has pointed towards many of these children getting off the drugs and restraints altogether and having a chance at a decent life.  To me, quality of life needs to also be considered in the equation.
    Then you should read a little more about James Velez. He felt his stay at JRC was unlivable torture.

Matthew Israel himself has commented that JRC's more intelligent clients appeared to have more difficulty tolerating the regimen of aversive shock. That alone is pretty telling.
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Eliscu2

• New World Order
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 12:26:03 PM »
    I doubt whooty gets paid to read or comprehend anything....just sayin :feedtrolls:
    WELCOME TO HELL!

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 03:06:09 PM »
    Quote from: "Ursus"
    He was pushing to outlaw it altogether. For years and years and years. From the above article:
    The senator has been trying to ban the practice, which gives electric shocks and other pain-inducing treatments to students who have severe behavior problems, for about 10 years. He said the JRC is the only school in the country that uses this type of therapy.

Unfortunately, JRC has some strong local political support. It may only be a few folks, but they are in key positions. These latest bills are an attempt, a compromise, to at least get some better oversight in place. However, they are certainly not the be-all end-all goal for anti-JRC activists.

Or maybe as he got his head more into it he saw the results of the therapy and kids lives that were changed for the better.  If you read through the complaints the majority of the issues can be resolved thru stricter regulation and controls.

Then you should read a little more about James Velez. He felt his stay at JRC was unlivable torture.

Matthew Israel himself has commented that JRC's more intelligent clients appeared to have more difficulty tolerating the regimen of aversive shock. That alone is pretty telling.

Sure we can read about the kid who was damaged.  If you read a story about a child who was helped would you change your mind and embrace the therapy?  One or two stories should not be enough to form an opinion.  One needs to step back and look at the entire impact this therapy has on childrens lives and those of their families.  Look at the kids quality of life before they enter and then look at their lives after… how many are helped… how many are not… and then decide if this treatment is effective or worth saving.

We cant just look at a picture of a dead kid in an automobile and conclude the auto industry needs to be shut down.  Do you see what I’m saying?  

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 03:08:16 PM »
    Quote from: "Eliscu2"
    I doubt whooty gets paid to read or comprehend anything....just sayin :feedtrolls:

Thanks, Eliscu2, I think many disagree with you here, though.  It would be nice if I were getting paid for this.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 08:40:24 AM »
    though i am not opposed to regulation as a harm minimization tool, I cant see how you can regulate shock treatment. it is either OK to sting disabled kids like a bee or it is not. I would hope that in a civillized society it is not! So he should be moving to outlaw the practice all together.
    n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 09:23:15 AM »
    Oz Girl, I completely agree and I think he does as well. It is more a matter of compromise as every attempt of his to outlaw it has failed, sadly its a devil's compromise. Very unfortunate...

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 10:53:37 AM »
    Regulation isn’t one of my favorites either.  But there has been no indication that the therapy is cruel or inhumane.  To take an average person off the street and subject him/her to shock treatments would be considered cruel.  The same would be true if you took someone off the street and removed their appendix for no reason.

But if you play out the same scenario with a person who had a very low quality of life and shock treatments allowed them to live a higher quality of life and if the other person was suffering from appendicitis then the appendectomy would not be so inhumane.

So what needs to be evaluated is what improvements are being made, what the alternatives are and examine the results of the treatment before we can judge the specific procedures.

Offline RavingMad

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 11:10:42 AM »
    SHOCK TREATMENT HAS BEEN FOUND VERY EFFECTIVE IN MANY CASES. I SERIOUSLY DOUBT THE USAGE WAS DEVELOPED FOR THE BAD AS YOU ALL SEEM TO TRY TO CLAIM. WHERE IS THE PROOF THAT SHOCK TREATMENT IS BAD OR UNHEALTHY? ONE PERSON SCREAMS ITS BAD AND EVERYONE HAS TO FOLLOW? NO OTHERS HAVE BEEN HELPED THREW YEARS. LIKE EVERYWHERE IN THIS SICK ASS WORLD I AM SURE SOME DOCTORS MISDIGNOSTED THE TREATMENT TO BEGIN WITH. CORRUPT DOCTORS ARE EVERYWHERE. THAT IS THE PROBLEM NOT THE TREATMENT. OH AND FELICE YOU NEEDED THE TREATMENT BUT ONE CAN AGRUE IT WAS A BUST. THEY CONDUCTED IT WRONG ON YOU. CHE I DOUBT BRINGING A M 12 WHATEVER THE FUCK WILL MAKE A CHANGE EITHER. IT IS NOT ALWAYS FUN AND GAMES CHE. LIFE IS NOT BUILT ON SMART ASS COMMENTS. PEOPLE NEVER TAKE IT SERIOUSLY THEN.
    ALSO JUST A LITTLE NOTE HERE IF YOU WANT THE WORLD TO HEAR YOU STOP CONDENSENDING ON THE READERS MOST DO NOT HAVE A CLUE IN THE TERMS YOU USE. DONT TALK DOCTOR SHITTY TALK..TALK HUMNA BEING. YOU WANT ATO MAKE DIFFERENCE THAN ACT LIKE IT. AND NO SMART ASS REMARKS ARE NEEDED IN REPLY. TALK AND EXPLAIN IS THAT SO FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE AROUND HERE.
    RETARDS GET A LIFE...DO NOT POST ON FORNITS, IT WILL DAMAGE YOUR BRAIN AND ACCOMPLISHES NOTHING OF VALUE.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 11:14:56 AM »
    They're putting shock packs on the kids, 24 hours a day, and using them to keep the kids quiet.  It's sick, no matter how you fucking slice it.
    traight, St. Pete, early 80s
    AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 11:28:37 AM »
    Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
    They're putting shock packs on the kids, 24 hours a day, and using them to keep the kids quiet.  It's sick, no matter how you fucking slice it.

No offense, Anne, but you should reading the full article.  The shock packs are not used on everyone and are not used to keep the kids quiet.  If you think backpacks are sick you should try sitting through an operation in a hospital where they cut people open.  I would go with the backpacks any day over being cut open.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 11:36:15 AM »

No offense, Anne, but you should reading the full article.  The shock packs are not used on everyone and are not used to keep the kids quiet.  If you think backpacks are sick you should try sitting through an operation in a hospital where they cut people open.  I would go with the backpacks any day over being cut open.

As I've said before....you'll defend the indefensible.  This is a disgusting practice.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/us-school-f ... hocks.html

US school for disabled forces students to wear packs that deliver massive electric shocks

Diana Sweet
    Raw Story
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mental Disability Rights International (MDRI) has filed a report and urgent appeal with the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Torture alleging that the Judge Rotenberg Center for the disabled, located in Massachusetts, violates the UN Convention against Torture.

The rights group submitted their report this week, titled “Torture not Treatment: Electric Shock and Long-Term Restraint in the United States on Children and Adults with Disabilities at the Judge Rotenberg Center,” after an in-depth investigation revealed use of restraint boards, isolation, food deprivation and electric shocks in efforts to control the behaviors of its disabled and emotionally troubled students.

Findings in the MDRI report include the center’s practice of subjecting children to electric shocks on the legs, arms, soles of feet and torso — in many cases for years — as well as some for more than a decade. Electronic shocks are administered by remote-controlled packs attached to a child’s back called a Graduated Electronic Decelerators (GEI).

The disabilities group notes that stun guns typically deliver three to four milliamps per shock. GEI packs, meanwhile, shock students with 45 milliamps — more than ten times the amperage of a typical stun gun.

A former employee of the center told an investigator, “When you start working there, they show you this video which says the shock is ‘like a bee sting’ and that it does not really hurt the kids. One kid, you could smell the flesh burning, he had so many shocks. These kids are under constant fear, 24/7. They sleep with them on, eat with them on. It made me sick and I could not sleep. I prayed to God someone would help these kids.”

Noting that it believes United States law fails to provide needed protections to children and adults with disabilities, MDRI calls for the immediate end to the use of electric shock and long-term restraints as a form of behavior modification or treatment and a ban on the infliction of severe pain for so-called therapeutic purposes.

“Torture as treatment should be banned and prosecuted under criminal law,” the report states.

The U.S. Department of Justice opened a “routine investigation” of the center in February of this year in response to a September 2009 letter signed by 31 disability organizations claiming that the center violated the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Judge Rotenberg CEO and founder Dr. Matthew L. Israel began his first program in California back in 1977. In 1981, a 14-year old boy died face down, tied to his bed, while living in the California center. Dr. Israel was not held responsible for the death. After an investigation by the State of California, Israel relocated to Rhode Island, and then to Massachusetts, where his facility still operates today.

Mother Jones magazine published an extensive investigative report on the Rotenberg Center in 2007 titled “School of Shock.” Reporter Jennifer Gonnerman asked, “How many times do you have to zap a child before it’s torture?”
    Children at the Judge Rotenberg Center are often shackled, restrained and secluded for months at a time, the report says. Social isolation, and food deprivation as forms of punishment are common. Mock and threatened stabbings — to forcibly elicit unacceptable behaviors resulting in electric shock punishments (Labeled as Behavioral Research Lessons or BRLs, by the center) were reported to MDRI as well as state regulatory bodies.

A former student of the center reportedly tells MDRI, “The worst thing ever was the BRLs. They try and make you do a bad behavior and then they punish you. The first time I had a BRL, two guys came in the room and grabbed me – I had no idea what was going on. They held a knife to my throat and I started to scream and I got shocked. I had BRLs three times a week for stuff I didn’t even do. It went on for about six months or more. I was in a constant state of paranoia and fear. I never knew if a door opened if I would get one. It was more stress than I could ever imagine. Horror.”

Behaviors that the center deemed “aggressive,” as well as those considered “minor,” or “non-compliant” — such as raising one’s hand without permission — are all considered punishable by electric shocks, restraints, and other punishments to students.

“One girl who was blind, deaf and non-verbal was moaning and rocking,” a former teacher says in the report. “Her moaning was like a cry. The staff shocked her for moaning. Turned out she had broken a tooth. Another child had an accident in the bathroom and was shocked.”

The rights group investigation found that the Rotenberg center is the only known facility in the United States, “Or perhaps the world,” that employs the use of electricity, long-term restraints and other punishments to deliberately inflict pain upon its children and then refer to it as “treatment.” The electric shocks alone are cited as having possible long-term effects such as muscle stiffness, impotence, damage to teeth, scarring of the skin, hair loss, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), severe depression, chronic anxiety, memory loss and sleep disturbances.

The MDRI report states that more than any other source for its information, they relied upon information readily obtained from the Judge Rotenberg Center’s own website.

In response to MDRI’s report, the Judge Rotenberg Center said, “There is no credible evidence that for these most severe forms of behavior disorders, there is any pharmacological or psychological treatment that can effectively treat these students or even keep them safe. JRC is the only program willing to address the reality of these children’s disorders and endure the political firestorm in order to save these children and give them an education and a future.”

The complete rebuttal from the center can be read in full at JRC’s website.
    traight, St. Pete, early 80s
    AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa