Author Topic: What is strong alcohol?  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
What is strong alcohol?
« on: April 26, 2010, 06:28:04 AM »
In Denmark we have a agelimit of 16 when we are talking buying alcohol in shops.

But recently our parliament have proposed that stronger alcohol should be for 18 year olds and older only. A couple of beers or glasses of wine don't hurt anyone. In fact the guidelines from our department of health speaks of 21 beers per week for males and 14 beers per weeks for women as healthy. We want healthy teenagers in our high school and also the possibility to spot possible suicide bombers before they mingle among innoccent high school students.

Second we have learned that the goal of having a low number of DUI cases can reached by having the teenagers who have no drivers license yet drinking alcohol so they can learn of the effect of alcohol before they can kill anyone or themselves with a car. There is no excuse for DUI anymore because they could have tested how alcohol affects and find out if they belong to the small group of people who will become addicts and therefore should not waste their money on a drivers license. The punishment for DUI is extremely severe because of this even if you don't hurt anyone.

But what is strong alcohol? The first proposal was 7%, but then our wine- and retail-industry protested. Wine is stronger, so the most resent proposal sets a limit of 22%. Rather interesting the new proposal is from the largest party in our government, so they are voting for a change of their own proposal.

Left goes against the government's alcohol limit

So the official Danish definition of strong alcohol will become 22%.

Do you have such limits of weak and strong alcohol in your country?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: What is strong alcohol?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 11:37:46 AM »
Quote from: "Oscar"
In Denmark we have a agelimit of 16 when we are talking buying alcohol in shops.

But recently our parliament have proposed that stronger alcohol should be for 18 year olds and older only. A couple of beers or glasses of wine don't hurt anyone. In fact the guidelines from our department of health speaks of 21 beers per week for males and 14 beers per weeks for women as healthy. We want healthy teenagers in our high school and also the possibility to spot possible suicide bombers before they mingle among innoccent high school students.

Second we have learned that the goal of having a low number of DUI cases can reached by having the teenagers who have no drivers license yet drinking alcohol so they can learn of the effect of alcohol before they can kill anyone or themselves with a car. There is no excuse for DUI anymore because they could have tested how alcohol affects and find out if they belong to the small group of people who will become addicts and therefore should not waste their money on a drivers license. The punishment for DUI is extremely severe because of this even if you don't hurt anyone.

But what is strong alcohol? The first proposal was 7%, but then our wine- and retail-industry protested. Wine is stronger, so the most resent proposal sets a limit of 22%. Rather interesting the new proposal is from the largest party in our government, so they are voting for a change of their own proposal.

Left goes against the government's alcohol limit

So the official Danish definition of strong alcohol will become 22%.

Do you have such limits of weak and strong alcohol in your country?

Most of the beer consumed in this country runs between 4 and 6%.  A brand called Flying Dog which is out of Maryland produces an ale which has upward of 10% but this is the exception.  A few decades ago in the mid-west they had a law which required young people (college aged) to consume beer at a lower alcohol rate which they called 3.2 beer which contained 3.2 % alcohol.

So based on what we do in this country for Beer:

Low would be 3.2 %
High would be : 6% (with a random data point at 10%)
The mean would reside around 5%

Wines(which are universal):

Low would be: 12% or under
High would be: 14%
The mean would reside around 13%

Hard liquor as we all know can vary tremendously.

So if we looked at the upper and lower limits of Beer and Wine we could determine that:

Low would be: 3.2%
High would be: 14%

With the majority of the people consuming levels between 5% and 13%.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 12:53:09 AM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
A brand called Flying Dog which is out of Maryland produces an ale which has upward of 10% but this is the exception.
Not quite true.  I watched a documentary on Netflix streaming called "beer wars" that taught me of this company:

http://www.dogfish.com/

They have Alehouses all over.  I researched and found this one in dc area that has photos of their current selection:

http://www.dogfishalehouse.com/

Right now the highest is at 15% but when I checked a few weeks ago it was up to something in the mid twenties.  That's a strong beer.  I haven't had a chance to try but when I get a one I might go with a few friends.  They have very creative names for their beer.  Watch "Beer Wars".  It's a fascinating company struggling in the current three-tier distribution system the government is imposing (which results in shit beer that tastes all the same).  Great film.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 04:13:26 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
Quote from: "Whooter"
A brand called Flying Dog which is out of Maryland produces an ale which has upward of 10% but this is the exception.
Not quite true.  I watched a documentary on Netflix streaming called "beer wars" that taught me of this company:

http://www.dogfish.com/

They have Alehouses all over.  I researched and found this one in dc area that has photos of their current selection:

http://www.dogfishalehouse.com/

Right now the highest is at 15% but when I checked a few weeks ago it was up to something in the mid twenties.  That's a strong beer.  I haven't had a chance to try but when I get a one I might go with a few friends.  They have very creative words for their beer.  Watch "Beer Wars".  It's a fascinating company struggling in the current three-tier distribution system the government is imposing (which results in shit beer that tastes all the same).  Great film.

I have tried Dogfish head before!! ... Apriale, I think.  It was excellent.  I didnt realize their levels were that high.  I had a lot of fun that night maybe thats why.