Poll

How many years since you were in a program?

1 year or less
1 (5%)
2 years
3 (15%)
3-5 years
0 (0%)
5-10 years
1 (5%)
10-20 years
4 (20%)
20-30 years
9 (45%)
40-50 years
0 (0%)
50+ years
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: April 22, 2010, 01:11:49 PM

Author Topic: How long ago were you in a program?  (Read 10710 times)

Offline Maximilian

• View Profile
How long ago were you in a program?
« on: April 22, 2010, 01:11:49 PM »
I have found fornits to be a useful resource and was discussing it's legitimacy with a colleague of mine, and they explained that the posters on fornits are people who were in programs years ago, or even decades ago. Is this accurate? I think it's important we tell our readers how relevant our own experiences are compared to the safer, well designed, contemporary programs.

Let's work together to find out how relevant the experiences on this website are to current programs operating.

If you were a child who was sent to a program against your will, then please participate in this study. If you were an adult and chose to enter treatment or chose to go to AA or rehab or another of the off shoots of what you consider programs, please do not participate. Thank you, and remember this will help everyone.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Eliscu2

• New World Order
    • View Profile
Re: How long ago were you in a program?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 01:26:49 PM »
Quote from: "Maximilian"
I have found fornits to be a useful resource and was discussing it's legitimacy with a colleague of mine, and they explained that the posters on fornits are people who were in programs years ago, or even decades ago. Is this accurate? I think it's important we tell our readers how relevant our own experiences are compared to the safer, well designed, contemporary programs.

Let's work together to find out how relevant the experiences on this website are to current programs operating.

If you were a child who was sent to a program against your will, then please participate in this study. If you were an adult and chose to enter treatment or chose to go to AA or rehab or another of the off shoots of what you consider programs, please do not participate. Thank you, and remember this will help everyone.

I think it is important to remember that the program I attended is still opperating a continuing criminal enterprise.
http://http://theelanschool.tumblr.com/
 :beat:
WELCOME TO HELL!

Offline Maximilian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 03:52:55 PM »
Thanks for participating everyone. If  you haven't voted yet, please help this study and choose when you were last in a program. Thanks!

Offline Becky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 09:06:52 PM »
I voted!  :jerry:

Offline SharonMcCarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 03:19:03 PM »
;
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:06:37 PM by SharonMcCarthy »
"A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle."
Kahlil Gibran

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 04:43:57 PM »

Like MBA?  Seems they were doing pretty much exactly the same thing CEDU was doing back in the day.  Tell me how programs have changed so very much.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 06:17:02 PM »
Quote from: "psy"

Like MBA?  Seems they were doing pretty much exactly the same thing CEDU was doing back in the day.  Tell me how programs have changed so very much.

If you don't mind I would like to add my two cents:

Much of the personal experiences here are really dated, psy, I think you can admit that.  Now a days kids get unmonitored phone calls home.  Special diets are accepted.  When was the last time you heard of someone being wrapped in duct tape and tossed into the ocean?  There is a thread going where the kids can hang out on the lawn with pedestrians walking by, no fences, they can just walk away if they like.  All this mind control, locking kids in hobbits, making them lay face on the floor for days at a time or flapping their arms during group meetings is all in the past.  We haven’t seen this in decades.  

Will abuse occur?  Absolutely.  It occurs everywhere, in our public schools, at home, in private schools in residential programs and in Therapeutic boarding schools.  No getting around it.  As long as we continue to hire human beings then the risk is there.  We just need to make smart choices and weigh the risk on an individual basis.

Are programs rooted in the past?  Of course everything is…..Rooted to CEDU?  Rooted to AA? NA? Does IBM have connections to Hitler?  Yes it does!!  They sold them punch card machines in 1937.  Does this make their software evil?  Should our government shut down IBM?  Can we trace your family tree to a murderer or two?  I am sure we can since they have managed to trace all of humanity back to just 9 people.  Should you be viewed or treated differently because of what your ancestors did?  Are we all bound to suffer because of  our ancestors mistakes?  I don’t think so.  Many here may disagree.

We have come a long way and in another decade, hopefully, we will be doing a much better job than we are today.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 06:37:37 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"

Much of the personal experiences here are really dated, psy, I think you can admit that.  Now a days kids get unmonitored phone calls home.  Special diets are accepted.  When was the last time you heard of someone being wrapped in duct tape and tossed into the ocean?  There is a thread going where the kids can hang out on the lawn with pedestrians walking by, no fences, they can just walk away if they like.  All this mind control, locking kids in hobbits, making them lay face on the floor for days at a time or flapping their arms during group meetings is all in the past.  We haven’t seen this in decades.  

Will abuse occur?  Absolutely.  It occurs everywhere, in our public schools, at home, in private schools in residential programs and in Therapeutic boarding schools.  No getting around it.  As long as we continue to hire human beings then the risk is there.  We just need to make smart choices and weigh the risk on an individual basis.

Are programs rooted in the past?  Of course everything is…..Rooted to CEDU?  Rooted to AA? NA? Does IBM have connections to Hitler?  Yes it does!!  They sold them punch card machines in 1937.  Does this make their software evil?  Should our government shut down IBM?  Can we trace your family tree to a murderer or two?  I am sure we can since they have managed to trace all of humanity back to just 9 people.  Should you be viewed or treated differently because of what your ancestors did?  Are we all bound to suffer because of  our ancestors mistakes?  I don’t think so.  Many here may disagree.

We have come a long way and in another decade, hopefully, we will be doing a much better job than we are today.

:shamrock:  :shamrock:  :shamrock:

I totally misread this post, my bad (I am serious) I skimmed through this post very quickly and did not give it the reply it deserved.
Whooter, I am not exactly sure where you received your information on program operations today but the kids are not given anymore liberties then they were 10 yrs ago, this is coming from a staff member I personally know still working as staff.
Now 15, 20, 30, and 40 years ago wholesale violence, degradation, debasing, humiliation has changed to be much more subtle. They would be shut down with out a doubt if they acted as they did years ago.  
Psy went on to explain the rest in his post below.

Danny

Danny
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 06:13:08 PM by DannyB II »
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Joel

Edited: Wednesday, October 06, 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 01:58:18 AM »
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:12:57 AM by Joel »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 10:54:04 AM »
...remember this will help everyone.
Anyone else notice how Pinocchio here left a ten year gap in the voting options? Chances are, most or all of these "votes" are his sock puppets! Come to think of it, Maximilian aka Pinocchio IS a puppet...
 :roflmao:  :roflmao:
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 11:04:48 AM »
Speaking of puppets...  :seg:

Anyone who is still in their right mind, and yet entertains that the above marketing spiel bears any resemblance to reality, needs to read Suzanne Rivecca's incisive piece about this industry and the ultimate effect it has on kids.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 11:53:04 AM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
Speaking of puppets...  :seg:

Anyone who is still in their right mind, and yet entertains that the above marketing spiel bears any resemblance to reality, needs to read Suzanne Rivecca's incisive piece about this industry and the ultimate effect it has on kids.

I think it is important that we not discard or discredit those who disagree with us, Ursus.  There are thousands of people who have opinions on the industry (myself included).  Suzanne Rivecca has her opinion also and bases it on her exposure to the industry as do all of us.  That’s pretty much what any of us can do.  We need to respect each others experiences and allow them/us to express them here on fornits without fear of being attacked.

If we had a friend who did well in a program but was raped by a teacher in the public school system then no one could convince us that sending a child to public school is a safe or sane decision.  We all know this.  In hindsight we would all regret taking that child out of the program where she would have remained safe.

The main thing is that we are not seeing the abuse that was present 30, 20, 10 years ago.  On top of that we went from a handful of programs 30 years ago to about 500 or more now (graduating upwards of 50,000 kids a year) and there are fewer complaints today then there are from the programs several decades ago.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 05:28:03 PM »

Wow.  That was the single biggest pile of bullshit I have ever seen in my life.  You should be a lawyer.  You're like Cochran, you're strategy is to confuse and obfuscate the obvious to confuse the living hell out of the jury.  You're trying to deny bad things happen in programs today at the rate they did in the past.  Well. I got news for you.  A woman I know knows this kid who was living successfully (no drugs or alcohol even) away home until he was abducted by controlling parents and placed in a program in Utah.  I can't begin to tell you the messed up stuff that has happened.  This is going on today right now.  Don't act like this is all in the past.  The parents in this case don't believe what's really going on and even if they did i'm not sure they would do anything; after all they're getting the obedient little pet they always wanted, devoid of free will.  This is not the gentle persuasion of "mother and father have been around longer than you have and know what's best".  This is a concerted effort to strip a kid of his dignity, privacy, and ultimately his identity to present a marketable zombie.  Well that zombie will eventually figure out what happened and when that happens he'll either turn his suffering inwards and self destruct or he'll act like nothing's happened and never really deal with things or he'll end up figuring things out and talking about it and finding some relief, perhaps here.  It might take five years it might take ten, but it'll happen.  Just because the "latest batch" hasn't shown up yet doesn't mean they aren't on the way.

The burden of proof is on you, Whooter, due to the track record of the industry, to show things have changed.  I've heard "we've changed" far too many times and each and every time it turned out to be bullshit without exception.  The only time programs ever change in my experience is to increase the effectiveness of their particular thought reform system, thereby providing a more marketable result with (they hope) a more stable programming (will probably never work).  Sure Aspen brushed over the CEDU Propheets to make them superficially different from their "LifeSteps"... they saw what produced results and kept that while removing or improving on defective designs.  They understood what they were doing and experimented with it on the kids...  ultimately concluding that a lap dance to Kelis's "Milkshake" (a song about hand jobs) had therapeutic value...  And when was MBA shut down for this crap?  Now I don't necessarily agree with how the state went around doing it's business but the fact of the matter remains that this is what happened.  Recently.  Not ten or twenty years ago.  Just last year.  You want me to cite more examples?  I can.

There is a thread going where the kids can hang out on the lawn with pedestrians walking by, no fences, they can just walk away if they like.

That has yet to be confirmed but if it's true and it's voluntary and accurately represented that place sounds more like a boarding school than a program.  I have no problem with voluntary places.  Never have, never will...  So long as you can leave at any time and what they're going to be doing to you is accurately represented before it is done (informed consent).  If it's not accurately marketed i'd object to it on grounds of fraud.
Now a days kids get unmonitored phone calls home.

It's almost always been like that, but only after a period of silence during which the child is convinced by the staff and peers that what's going on around him is completely normal.  After that period of silence comes monitored calls during which the child often tries to say something to his parents and get cut off as a result.  After the child realizes his parents won't every believe the crazy shit going on he gives up and gives in to the practical realization that the only way out is to give himself to the program.  This turns into "without the program I cannot survive" eventually in the child's mind, creating a dependency.  The program becomes a surrogate mother and father, providing conditional acceptance and love for compliance.  It's only at this point where a child is given unmonitored phone calls and even those can be revoked at any point.

Often at this point things are generally quite quiet.  The child works to progress in the program believing that they will let him progress. During this time the child's ethics and core beliefs are stripped and replaced with one of or compatible with the group**, his life story is revised to portray himself as the evildoer in most or all past events, and his past associations are portrayed as "diseased" or "not real friends".  All too often parents do not approve of friends of their "troubled" kids so they express approval and reassure their kids in phone calls that they're coming to the right conclusions.  The implication is that you have never truly lived before the program, that you've never connected with another human being, never felt real emotion, much less love.  It's hard to resist when everybody around you is going "I was like you once.  Now with the help of the program I feel like I found my real self".

So what's wrong with this if it produces results like I describe?  Because there is an objective reality and once the child grows up a little and figures things out... figures out that what went on was neither normal nor therapy, the world they have constructed on those lies falls apart.  It's a feeling of being raped.  Of being violated in one's mind.  I imagine victims of sexual abuse feel similar when they grow up and discover daddy wasn't really supposed to do that.  It's a feeling of trusting in something and then losing that trust.  Trusting in people only to find out they were preaching lies to you...  That they did bad things to you (even if most of the staff had good intentions).  And after that it's hard to trust again...  But in this industry cynicism is not a bad thing.  It's prudent, because these bad programs are hardly the exception.  They're damn near the rule.

And a large part of the reason for that is that yes, a good portion of the industry is based on toxic philosophy and has cultic roots.  It's well documented:
http://motherjones.com/politics/2007/08 ... n-industry

You ask how it extends to today's industry?  In today's "clone" programs (close of past programs, often started by staff of defunct programs).  The proof of that is in LifeSteps, Carlbrook school in VA, and countless others who have adopted marathon "seminars" similar or identitcal to CEDU's Propheets.  Similar patterns apply to most other programs.  There's very little that's original out there.  Most of it is recycled from other programs.  This happens when staff migrate and bring their teachings and practices with them.

** If you want to understand this process in more detail, read Margaret Singer's book, "Cults in Our Midst"
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Joel

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 05:57:15 PM »
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:13:29 AM by Joel »

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 07:28:07 PM »
You're trying to deny bad things happen in programs today at the rate they did in the past.  Well. I got news for you. A woman I know knows this kid who was living successfully (no drugs or alcohol even) away home until he was abducted by controlling parents and placed in a program in Utah. I can't begin to tell you the messed up stuff that has happened. This is going on today right now. Don't act like this is all in the past…..

I did not say bad things do not happen in programs.  What I said is bad things happen whenever humans are involved.  This includes public school private school and programs.  You sited one example of that is occurring to a child in a program.  These events are occurring in the public sector as well.  We have all read about the abuse in the state of Florida by the social workers and state employees.

The part you are missing is that several years ago we were all reading here stories of kids who were duct taped and tossed into the ocean….. taken to a hobbit and placed there for days at a time… denied food… forced to sit on chairs for hours on end and flap their arms, forced to lay faced down on cement etc. etc.  These events are not happening now.  We all see this.  So if you step back and take a look at the level of the water, so to speak, we can all clearly see that programs have improved dramatically.  So anyone reading here on fornits for the past several years has seen this also, whether they chose to admit it or not.

How many people would talk about programs where kids could come and go as they pleased 10 years ago on fornits (confirmed or unconfirmed)?

Your argument for unmonitored phone calls is weak.  I actually know first hand that programs allow unmonitored phone calls from the first call home.  They may restrict “who” you call, but they don’t listen in on your phone calls nor cut you off because they don’t like what you are saying.  I think when a child flips out and starts screaming at their parents calling them Fucking assholes then the phone call would be terminated and the student may get pissed and eventually report it here on fornits as:   “The staff must have listened to my call and interfered with their right to privacy.”  Or some nonsense.