Author Topic: Depression and Smoking  (Read 1054 times)

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
Depression and Smoking
« on: April 18, 2010, 06:03:54 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20100415/hl ... inhandinus

Depression and Smoking Go Hand in Hand in U.S. - Yahoo! News
news.yahoo.com
WEDNESDAY, April 14 (HealthDay News) -- The link between depression and smoking, long observed by health-care experts, is real and strong, a new government report shows.

YAHOO! NEWS EXCLUSIVE:High court goes high tech: Justices to hear texting case
Depression and Smoking Go Hand in Hand in U.S.
HealthDay

By Kathleen Doheny
HealthDay Reporter by Kathleen Doheny
healthday Reporter – Wed Apr 14, 11:48 pm ET

WEDNESDAY, April 14 (HealthDay News) -- The link between depression and smoking, long observed by health-care experts, is real and strong, a new government report shows.

People aged 20 and older with depression are twice as likely as others to be cigarette smokers, the researchers from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found. And as the severity of depression increased, so did the number of smokers.

The magnitude of the link was surprising, said researcher Laura Pratt, an epidemiologist at the CDC's National Center for Health Statistics, which published the findings April 14.

"The relationship between depression and smoking has been getting stronger over time," she said. Studies found only a small, insignificant link among Americans in 1952 and 1970, she said. But when Pratt and her co-researcher Debra Brody analyzed information from 2005 to 2008 culled from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, they found that:

* About 43 percent of adults 20 and older who had depression smoked, compared with 22 percent of that age without depression.
    * Women with depression had similar smoking rates as men, although women without depression smoked less than men.
    * As depression worsened, the percentage of adults who were smokers increased.
    * Depressed smokers smoke more than smokers without depression.
    * Adults who are depressed and smoke are less likely to quit than are smokers who are not depressed.

About 7 percent of U.S. adults aged 20 and older had depression in 2005 to 2008, the survey found. About half of those younger than 55 who had depression at the time of the survey were smokers, but less than a fourth of that age group without depression were smokers.

Since the U.S. Surgeon General's report on the ill effects of smoking was issued in 1964, cigarette smoking among adults nationwide has been cut in half, but about 21 percent of adults overall still smoke, the report noted.

"Everyone knows people with depression are more likely to smoke," Pratt said, but what surprised her, she said, was the extent to which that was found true in the study.

For instance, among women aged 20 to 39 they found that 50 percent of those with depression smoke, whereas just 21 percent of those without depression do.

Even adults with mild depressive symptoms -- those who wouldn't qualify for a diagnosis of clinical depression -- were more likely to smoke than were people with no symptoms of depression, the researchers found.

Exactly why depressed people tend to smoke more was beyond the scope of the study, Pratt said, but some research has suggested they might be self-medicating, with the cigarettes somehow acting as a calming or relaxing mechanism.

Stanton A. Glantz, director of the Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education at the University of California, San Francisco, said the findings were not surprising.

And he agrees that depressed people who smoke may be self-medicating. Part of the problem, he said, is that mental health professionals have been slow to deal with the tobacco issue.

"There's a myth that somehow if you deal with it, [by encouraging them to quit smoking,] it makes it harder to deal with underlying mental illness," Glantz said. "Just the opposite is true."

More information

The U.S. National Institute of Mental Health has more on depression.

:shamrock:  :shamrock:
Self medication nicotin, caffeine, alcohol, drugs, sex and on and on....depression (or the conditioning this country puts us through) is affecting a lot of folks.
I wish parents would understand that the answer does not lye in a program but in their hearts, the above is nothing more then the symptoms.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline kirstin

• View Profile
How to Select, Cut, Copy, Paste, & Save anything you find
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 06:49:26 PM »
How to Select, Cut, Copy, Paste, &  Save anything you find on the Internet

This information is absolutely essential to web design. This page will guide you on how to ‘grab’ anything you find, hear, or see on the internet! It will take about five minutes to learn and it will save you untold hours of work just in the coming year alone. I consider it the most important thing I learned about the internet. I had been building this site by hand for six months before I even knew cutting and pasting were possible. Good grief! The following instructions were sent to me by a friend. They were so well written, I couldn't improve upon them.

The Value of the Right Mouse Button

One fear many new users to the internet have is actually clicking on something. Your never quite sure what’s going to happen! But there is one button that’s OK to click on anything, and that’s the right mouse button. Using the right mouse button will not initiate any action other than to open a drop-down or pop-up menu with your options in it (Cut, Copy, Paste, Save As.., Bookmark, etc.). Go on, give it a try! Right-click one of the graphics on this web page. Notice the pop-up menu? The right mouse button is the fastest way to cut, copy, paste, and save anything you find on the web. If you want the right-click to work with text, you need to select it first.

Selecting Text

Its easy to select text. Using the scissors icons below, left click just below the top pair of scissors. Keeping the left mouse button pressed, drag the mouse down to the bottom pair of scissors. Notice the text was ‘selected’. You can release the left mouse button and the text will remain selected.

This text is here for you to practice selecting.

You will know if its selected if the background turns dark and the text turns white.

Now repeat the above steps, but click in the middle of one of the sentences and drag the mouse left or right. Notice how only half the sentence is selected? You can select as little or as much text as you want to cut, copy, or paste. You can select text from the top-down, bottom-up, left to right, or right to left.

Using Hot Keys to Cut, Copy, Paste, and Undo

Once you have ‘selected’ your text, you can use the Hot Keys to cut, copy, or paste the selected text. Why use Hot Keys when I just explained the value of the right mouse button? Simple, sometimes its just more convenient not having to take your hands off the keyboard to perform these simple functions. Whether you use the Hot Keys or the right mouse button makes no difference other than your own personal preference.

The Windows Hot Keys are defined by the 'Control' (CTRL) button. On a MAC, the Hot Keys are defined by the ‘Command’ button. Holding down the Control or Command button and pressing the appropriate key will perform the corresponding action from the list below.

Windows Hot Keys
CTRL-X    Cut
CTRL-C    Copy
CTRL-V    Paste
CTRL-Z    Undo

Macintosh Hot Keys
Command-X    Cut
Command-C    Copy
Command-V    Paste
Command-Z    Undo

The ‘Undo’ function is very useful when you’ve just pasted some text where it wasn’t supposed to go. However, this undo function is limited and can only undo the last action performed (not a series of actions). Want to learn some more Hot Keys?

NOTE: You cannot ‘cut’ anything from a web page. Web pages can only be viewed, not edited. Instead, use the ‘copy’ command to place any selected text on your computer’s clipboard to be pasted later.

Saving Sounds and Graphics

Sounds and graphics are treated a little bit differently if you want to put a copy on your hard drive or disk. Instead of selecting and using hot keys like you would for text, you can use the right mouse button to get a drop-down menu with the ‘Save As...’ option in it. Just right click on any graphic on this site and try it!

Sounds are pretty much the same as graphics. If your not prompted to save the sound file when you click on it, then a small sound console should open up. Right click on the sound console for the drop-down menu to appear. Choose the ‘Save As..’ option and choose a location to save the file to.

Switching Between Applications

There is one last set of Hot Keys you will want to use to help make your cut, copy, and paste Hot Keys more useful. That is the ALT-TAB Hot Keys. By holding down the ALT button and hitting the TAB key, you can scroll through all the programs currently running on your computer. Whichever program you release the ALT key on will open for you to use. Go ahead and try it now! This is an especially useful trick if you want to cut and paste text from your web browser (like Netscape or Internet Explorer) to a text editor (like Notepad or SimpleText). Just select the text in your web browser, Copy it, ALT-TAB to switch to your text editor, Paste the copied text into the editor. Simple!

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: Depression and Smoking
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 08:53:17 PM »
Its not Depression and smoking go hand in hand.  Its depression and addiction that go hand in hand (IMO).  I have family members who have smoked for years and then decide to give it up and just did it after a few tries.  I have had family members who drank every day of their lives and at age 65 came down with a disease that required them to take medication that was not compatible with alcohol so that they needed to quit for a few years and they succeeded on their own.  We were all able to lay it down when needed.  My inlaws on the other hand were plagued with addiction and could not give up any vice no matter how hard they tried or how far into the gutter they traveled. They lost wealth, health and family rather than give up the booze, pills or cigarettes.

I am convinced it is a genetic problem and some people just struggle for life while others are able to move on or party in moderation.

Offline Free Will

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 10:46:58 PM »
Whooter.  Could it be possible that your family suffers from depression, which is a disease?  Could it be possible that their substance use is merely a symptom?  See i'll never see addiction as a disease.  Maybe I can see that certain people like certain things more than others (maybe because they alleviate symptoms or pain of a disease) but liking something enough or wanting something enough does not excuse a person from personal responsibility.  If it were, we'd be letting off murderers simply because they had a really great motive.  Choosing to use a substance and choosing to continue to use it are choices.  A person cannot choose not to have cancer anymore.  The depression may never end but teaching people tools of self control and self discipline can alleviate the symptoms.  And yes, the right drugs can help too.

Problem is AA, which teaches the disease concept, preaches a deterministic philosophy where the disease is and always will be in control.  It teaches a person to be powerless and gives them an excuse and self of entitlement rather than teaching them they are responsible for their actions.  If you have no free will how can you be held morally responsible for your actions?!??!  I really wish people like you would stop for a minute and think about exactly what you are encouraging.  It's simply a wrong philosophy that denies the very free will that makes us human.  I hate it.  And compelling others into an indoctrination process so they'll agree with you on illicit substances is wrong.  Free will can be taken away in such a process but without that free will a person is a shell, a slave, and the worst is they don't even know it.

:peace:
To be ‘cured’ against one’s will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level with those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals. But to be punished, however severely, because we have deserved it, because we ‘ought to have known better’, is to be treated as a human person made in God’s image.
[size=85]C.S. Lewis - The Humanitarian Theory of Punishment[/size]

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 11:10:53 PM »
Quote from: "Free Will"
Whooter.  Could it be possible that your family suffers from depression, which is a disease?  Could it be possible that their substance use is merely a symptom?  See i'll never see addiction as a disease.  Maybe I can see that certain people like certain things more than others (maybe because they alleviate symptoms or pain of a disease) but liking something enough or wanting something enough does not excuse a person from personal responsibility.  If it were, we'd be letting off murderers simply because they had a really great motive.  Choosing to use a substance and choosing to continue to use it are choices.  A person cannot choose not to have cancer anymore.  The depression may never end but teaching people tools of self control and self discipline can alleviate the symptoms.  And yes, the right drugs can help too.

Problem is AA, which teaches the disease concept, preaches a deterministic philosophy where the disease is and always will be in control.  It teaches a person to be powerless and gives them an excuse and self of entitlement rather than teaching them they are responsible for their actions.  If you have no free will how can you be held morally responsible for your actions?!??!  I really wish people like you would stop for a minute and think about exactly what you are encouraging.  It's simply a wrong philosophy that denies the very free will that makes us human.  I hate it.  And compelling others into an indoctrination process so they'll agree with you on illicit substances is wrong.  Free will can be taken away in such a process but without it a person is a shell, a slave, and the worst is they don't even know it.

:peace:

:shamrock:  :shamrock:

Freewill,
I think we have had this conversation before. AA does not teach folks to be powerless (in and of themselves), it teaches that you are powerless over alcohol and or drugs, if this be the case. We could argue this point for ever and never get anywhere, I just have always tried to set the record straight on this thought process that AA is trying to make me powerless, they are not teaching this. I have never felt that way in 22 yrs.
Free you are taking these teaching way to literal my friend, ease up. AA is focusing on what the drug alcohol is doing to a alcoholic.
Freewill people do choose to shoot heroin but I can't say in 5 years they are still choosing, a Meth head is choosing at first and so isn't a chronic alcoholic until years later.  I don't know if your looking from a point of experience.

Danny
Stand and fight, till there is no more.