Author Topic: Addiction interesting slant......lol  (Read 1786 times)

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
Addiction interesting slant......lol
« on: March 11, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 07:05:21 PM by DannyB II »
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
Re: Addiction interesting slant......lol
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 05:35:56 PM »
Hello, my name is fem

and I'm a chapstickaholic.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
[size=150]When Injustice Becomes Law
...Rebellion Becomes Duty...[/size]

[size=150]WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES
CAN I HAVE YOUR FLAT SCREEN?[/size]

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 06:31:10 PM »
Out of habit I have always placed a large bowl of chap stick and lip balm in the center of the room whenever we entertained.  Most of it was gone by the end of the night so my wife and I felt it was successful. Well it’s a little odd but I received a visit from a woman, with severely chapped lips,  several years ago who stopped by to apologize for taking too many of my lip balm during her visits and admitted that she only came to my parties for the lip balm.  She had an older person with her whom she didn’t introduce who carried a list and I could see she crossed my name off as this woman was speaking.    I didn’t even know her that well but felt compelled to accept her apology. I remember that her hands and face were well hydrated and she used hand creme throughout her visit.   I never knew there was a lip balm or moisturizing condition until now.  It places that experience in perspective, thank you.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 11:07:13 PM »
Quote from: "DannyB II"
Moisturizers Anonymous
March 11, 2010

By Sarah B.

There is often that person who, every few minutes, takes out their Carmex, or ChapStick to moisturize their lips. It seems unlikely that the lips of these people dry out faster than they can put their lip balm away. Some have gone as far as to call this dependence an addiction. The overuse of moisturizer has made the lips rely on the constant application of relief.

It is also a mental addiction. Watching someone else put on lip balm easily prompts the person nearby to do the same (kind of like yawning). While writing this article, I applied my own Burts Bees.

On http://www.essortment.com it says that, “…camphor and alcohol are effective ingredients, but they also tend to dry out the skin over time” referring to two of the many ingredients found in different lip balm brands. As the skin dries more and more, the lips hurt and crack. The only immediate way to solve this is by applying more lip balm. This vicious cycle is not easy to break.

Why am I lecturing you on the agonies of lip balm? Because the addictions of the world are not limited to drugs, sex, and alcohol. Some addictions are just more acceptable in society, and do not make someone’s life a living hell.

Is temporarily relieving pain, no matter how small, really worth a lifetime of dependence? Sure, buying a stick of lip balm every few weeks isn’t a huge deal, but wouldn’t it be better if you could live your life without relying on anything but yourself and God?

In the American culture, living without any kind of dependence can be a hard thing to do. Coffee breaks are part of many job descriptions. A time to leave work for a few moments to forget about the boss you resent, and just relax as the caffeine hits your system and you start to feel like you can get some work done again.

Coffee is also a huge part of social activities. A common line used to ask someone on a first date, “Do you want to get some coffee with me?” Caffeine is a social lubricant, not nearly as strong as alcohol, but enough for people to use as a crutch in daily living.
Just a little break.....................
Danny....
Link for this "article," please? Or would that be the Family Foundation School newsletter?

Jes' askin' ...  :D

From the Wall of fb page Family Foundation School Truth Campaign, color emphasis added:

The Family Foundation School Truth Campaign
    Well bullies or not, FFS' history shows abuse and cult mentality. Hell, they have an article in the school newspaper that talks about chapstick addiction. THAT is ridiculous
    March 11 at 8:18pm[/list]
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 11:18:51 PM »
    Lol. Here we go... indeed, it does come from the Family Foundation School Newsletter. Here's the full article; apparently, all the references to God, FFS, and AA were edited out in the OP:

-------------- • -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Moisturizers Anonymous?
    by Intern on March 11, 2010

By Sarah B.

There is often that person who, every few minutes, takes out their Carmex, or ChapStick to moisturize their lips. It seems unlikely that the lips of these people dry out faster than they can put their lip balm away. Some have gone as far as to call this dependence an addiction. The overuse of moisturizer has made the lips rely on the constant application of relief.

It is also a mental addiction. Watching someone else put on lip balm easily prompts the person nearby to do the same (kind of like yawning). While writing this article, I applied my own Burts Bees.

On http://www.essortment.com it says that, "...camphor and alcohol are effective ingredients, but they also tend to dry out the skin over time" referring to two of the many ingredients found in different lip balm brands. As the skin dries more and more, the lips hurt and crack. The only immediate way to solve this is by applying more lip balm. This vicious cycle is not easy to break.

Why am I lecturing you on the agonies of lip balm? Because the addictions of the world are not limited to drugs, sex, and alcohol. Some addictions are just more acceptable in society, and do not make someone's life a living hell.

Is temporarily relieving pain, no matter how small, really worth a lifetime of dependence? Sure, buying a stick of lip balm every few weeks isn't a huge deal, but wouldn't it be better if you could live your life without relying on anything but yourself and God?

In the American culture, living without any kind of dependence can be a hard thing to do. Coffee breaks are part of many job descriptions. A time to leave work for a few moments to forget about the boss you resent, and just relax as the caffeine hits your system and you start to feel like you can get some work done again.

Coffee is also a huge part of social activities. A common line used to ask someone on a first date, "Do you want to get some coffee with me?" Caffeine is a social lubricant, not nearly as strong as alcohol, but enough for people to use as a crutch in daily living.

Am I arguing against the use of lip balm and caffeine? Not exactly. I have used plenty of both in my lifetime. I am simply questioning the true benefits of living with an addiction. Some addictions are manageable…to an extent, but what if you could be without any?

Many teenagers, like myself, have this idea of freedom. At home, I felt the only way to be free was by sneaking around my parents to do anything and everything I wanted to. I soon discovered that the more I did what I thought I wanted to do, the more entangled I became in lies and relationships. I lost the ability to be honest, I felt rejected by the world, and I hated myself. The only route to freedom I could see after that was killing myself.

It turns out that absolute honesty and unselfishness is a true way to find happiness. I am more free than I have ever been in my life, even though I am living at The Family School. I do not rely on drugs to get me through the day, or even lies and caffeine. I am alive and it's a wonderful thing.

# #

Offline psy

• Administrator
      • View Profile
      • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
    « Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 07:13:37 AM »
    Quote from: "Ursus"
    apparently, all the references to God, FFS, and AA were edited out in the OP

Gee. That seems a bit dishonest.
    Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
    Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
    "Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 10:33:56 AM »
    Poe's law.  I can't tell if it's satire.  With Stepcrafters, it's entirely possible that this isn't in jest.

Nice catch again Urs!
    traight, St. Pete, early 80s
    AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 04:24:57 PM »
    « Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 07:05:54 PM by DannyB II »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 04:36:16 PM »
    Quote from: "Liza filling in for DannyB II"
    OH yes Ursus, "I do scale back Danny's comments some of them are unnecessary." BTW my name is Liza. I for one do enjoy your posting, thank you.
    Well, Hellooo Liza! Won't you take on a registered username? That way some of us may have an easier time deciphering what comes out of Danny's mind, from what comes out of yours! Besides, Danny really needs another voice on here backing him up. He's getting creamed! ·  :D

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 04:43:52 PM »
    Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
    Poe's law.  I can't tell if it's satire.  With Stepcrafters, it's entirely possible that this isn't in jest.
    I am sure it is essentially not in jest. At least not the pertinent ending (entirely edited out in the OP). It's written in the same rhapsodizing tone as the rest of the material the Family Foundation School puts out. Here it is again:

Am I arguing against the use of lip balm and caffeine? Not exactly. I have used plenty of both in my lifetime. I am simply questioning the true benefits of living with an addiction. Some addictions are manageable…to an extent, but what if you could be without any?

Many teenagers, like myself, have this idea of freedom. At home, I felt the only way to be free was by sneaking around my parents to do anything and everything I wanted to. I soon discovered that the more I did what I thought I wanted to do, the more entangled I became in lies and relationships. I lost the ability to be honest, I felt rejected by the world, and I hated myself. The only route to freedom I could see after that was killing myself.

It turns out that absolute honesty and unselfishness is a true way to find happiness. I am more free than I have ever been in my life, even though I am living at The Family School. I do not rely on drugs to get me through the day, or even lies and caffeine. I am alive and it's a wonderful thing.
      [/list]

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
      « Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 05:45:51 PM »
      « Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 07:06:28 PM by DannyB II »

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile