Author Topic: 12 fun things to do at forcibly attended AA meetings  (Read 6125 times)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
12 fun things to do at forcibly attended AA meetings
« on: March 05, 2010, 02:46:57 PM »
Shamelessly stolen from the Orange Papers site.

12 Ways to have fun at a coercely-attended NA/AA meeting

Date: 2009-10-18, 1:39PM

* 1.) Bring along some rock-salt (or a little tar, or powdered sugar!) wrapped in cellophane. Leave it in a conspicuous place, like next to the coffee pot! (Listen for a scream from the bathroom shortly!)

* 2.) Steal the coffee pot! Hold it hostage until your card is signed. (Trust me, its more important than you are, or anyone else who is there!)

* 3.) When asked to announce yourself, say, "My name is Agent ______, I work for the DEA, and I sure see some familiar faces here!"

* 4.) Volunteer to read the steps, then do it really, REALLY FAST (like you are yakked on coke, or meth! . Offer to read the entire book — right then and there — in 30 seconds!

* 5.) Ask if the connections are inside, outside, and if they have any "12-Step deals" going on!

* 6.) When the time comes for "announcements", announce that since its impossible for coercing authorities to truly verify whether a "court-card attendee" attended, that everyone can just sign their own card, and then leave. And the secretary is hereby fired.

* 7.) Inform the "old timers" that they no longer meet criteria to remain in the group as they no longer have a "desire" to BECOME clean/sober if they are already clean/sober (one is a thought — the other an ACTION!)

* 8.) Ask how many Big Books it takes for a good bonfire (I am guessing, 12?)

* 9.) Ask about the orgies that are rumored to occur at "conventions"!

* 10.) Bring a notepad and camera-phone. Explain its for "research" purposes, and "findings" will be posted on YouTube shortly!

* 11.) Volunteer to do the closing prayer. Pretend to nod off during it. Several times. Become irate if someone offers to finish it for you. Maintain death grips on the people you are holding hands with!

* 12.) Ask which of the 12-Steps actually apply to any individuals, since none of them have personal pronouns like "I", or "me" or "you" in them!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: 12 fun things to do at forcibly attended AA meetings
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 03:12:57 PM »
Anne,
Would you please take it up with the Judge....AA did not force you there so please don't take it out on the room or the people...Thanks...danny

Joel

Edited: Wednesday, October 06, 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 03:29:47 PM »
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:26:27 AM by Joel »

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 04:02:27 PM »
You sound as testy as the devotees that write hate mail to Agent Orange.

I have taken it up with Judges.  Both professionally (I'm a paralegal) and personally.  Most of them totally agree and wish that AA itself would take a stand and say that they will no longer accept court orders.  As do I.  But, they won't.  Now, I do give props to the few individuals at AA that refuse to sign slips for that very reason, but they're few and far between.

Why is it such a problem for you that there are legitimate criticisms of AA?  If it works for you, great.  Not everyone shares that view though.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 04:10:31 PM »
Quote from: "Joel"
I support Danny 100%.  It is easy to blame someone else when you dug yourself a hole and had to comply with a court order.  I commend Danny on the stance he is taking.

Funny how you can make that judgment knowing absolutely NOTHING about the circumstances that led me to be court ordered, huh?  Typical

Joel

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 04:14:01 PM »
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:25:35 AM by Joel »

Joel

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 04:15:13 PM »
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:24:31 AM by Joel »

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 04:15:52 PM »

Anne Bonney,

What treatment do you suggest for alcoholics?

Stop drinking.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 04:17:30 PM »

What circumstances are you referring to?  I am all ears.

Why?  You've already made your judgment.

Joel

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 04:18:20 PM »
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:23:55 AM by Joel »

Joel

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 04:22:08 PM »
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:23:27 AM by Joel »

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 04:29:08 PM »

That is not realistic for everyone and I know you're aware of that.

Actually, it is.  Even those that, ahem, religiously attend AA meetings.  It wouldn't have "worked" if they hadn't simply made the decision to stop.  When people are sick enough of feeling the way they are, they'll quit.  Some don't ever get to that point and they die.  Some don't ever stop smoking or eating junk food.  It happens.  We are all responsible for our own decisions (barring any clinically defined physiological disorder).  That's really it.

But, there is assistance out there without having to join a cult.  Here are some...

http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-addmonst.html

http://www.smartrecovery.org/

http://www.sossobriety.org/

Offline RTP2003

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 04:30:26 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

Anne Bonney,

What treatment do you suggest for alcoholics?

Stop drinking.

That is not realistic for everyone and I know you're aware of that.

How so?  Quit blaming some fictitious "disease" for a conscious decision to ingest liquids of an intoxicating nature.  Sounds a bit too much like "the devil made me do it".  Drink or don't drink, but accept the responsibility for the decision.  

For withdrawal symptoms, medical assistance should be sought.   "Powerlessness" is a myth that is all too often used to justify any behavior that the person wants it to.  There is no medical condition that compels someone, to the point of overriding their voluntary nervous system, to consume beverages against their will.  "I have a disease" is just an excuse to justify engaging in irresponsible and potentially dangerous behavior.  South Park did a wonderful episode illustrating the ridiculous nature of the "disease model".  I suggest you watch it and take notes, Joel.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 02:52:06 PM by RTP2003 »
RTP2003 fought in defense of the Old Republic

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 04:39:36 PM »
Quote from: "RTP2003"

How so?  Quit blaming some fictitious "disease" for a conscious decision to ingest liquids of an intoxicating nature.  Sounds a bit too much like "the devil made me do it".  Drink or don't drink, but accept the responsibility for the decision.  

For withdrawal symptoms, medical assistance should be sought.   "Powerlessness" is a myth that is all too often used to justify any behavior that the person wants it too.  There is no medical condition that compels someone, to the point of overriding their voluntary nervous system, to consume beverages against their will.  "I have a disease" is just an excuse to justify engaging in irresponsible and potentially dangerous behavior.  South Park did a wonderful episode illustrating the ridiculous nature of the "disease model".  I suggest you watch it and take notes, Joel.

BINGO!!!!

Love ya honey!  Miss you!!

Joel

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 04:45:37 PM »
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:22:41 AM by Joel »