Author Topic: Cafety under attack for, "A False Rhetoric"  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Cafety under attack for, "A False Rhetoric"
« on: March 04, 2010, 09:21:45 AM »
A False Rhetoric
oldbeforewise.com
by Sid Parham on March 3, 2010 · 296Commentshttp://oldbeforewise.com/?p=296A+False+Rhetoric2010-03-03+21%3A07%3A49Sid+Parham
http://oldbeforewise.com/?p=296
#
Recent Comments

* Lon Woodbury on An Old Turk
    * Randy Nichols on Birthday Reflections
    * Randy Pena on Birthday Reflections
    * Ripples — Stepping Stone Partners on Image and Memory
    * Ripples — Stepping Stone Partners on A Failure of Scholarshi

Old Before Wise

Thou shouldst not have been old till thou hadst been wise–King Lear

A False Rhetoric

by Sid Parham on March 3, 2010  

In my last post “An Old Turk” I talked about mt involvement in the politics of the 1960’s and early 70’s. I also spoke about my school’s struggle with a children’s liberation group CAFETY. In this post, I want to examine the rhetoric and ideas behind “child rights”. This rhetoric seems a natural extension of the rhetoric of the civil rights movement and later of the women’s movement. This way of talking has become so pervasive and so natural that we are led to accept premises that we should stop and examine.

Racism and sexism depend on establishing a group based on some external characteristic–gender, skin color, or nose shape, etc. This group is then either demonized or infantilized. The fact that the group is composed of fully functioning human beings is disguised and many laws and social strictures are created “for their own good.” Since the 19th century pseudo-science has been created to justify racism and sexism. The work of the French scientist Arthur de Gobineau is the beginning of a long European and American pseudo-science of race. It is important to note that the rhetoric of racial or gender difference applied equally to adults and children.

The movements of the last half of the 20th Century deconstructed this rhetoric, Both the demonizing and infantilizing of the groups was labeled and deplored. Race and to a lessor extent gender (as opposed to sex) is a social construction and therefore can be changed.  Throughout all of this struggle the new sciences of genetics and brain research showed the lack of natural basis for these social divisions.

I  first heard of the children’s rights movement in the 1980’s.  A colleague at St Cloud State  University was active in this area and presented these ideas as a natural extension of the line of thought I presented above–Children are an arbitrarily created social class, we have “infantilized” them and therefore they should have “rights.”  He would have given the vote to eight year-olds.  I suspect this was just rhetorical exaggeration.  It seemed to me at the time that this argument  flew in the face of all we knew about human development.

Thirty years later, this objection seems stronger because of the last ten years of brain research.  We know that the frontal cortex does not fully develop until a persons early twenties.  To argue, as CAFETY does, that 13 year-olds have the right to decide not to live at home, to refuse treatment parents believe necessary, or to refuse to attend private schools the parents choose flies in the face of our best and most humane science. These arguments also strike at the roots of parental responsibility and the state’s obligation to support parents and children

Anyone who has had teen aged children knows the struggle to set limits and boundaries that are appropriate and allow the teen to move toward independence is difficult and personal. Teens can reason well, but cannot fully see consequences, resist peer presasure, or control impulsivity.  The state’s interest should be to keep the child safe. None of this is to say that children don’t have rights.  That will be the topic of a later post.

:shamrock:  :shamrock:
Danny.....
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline katfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.cafety.org
Re: Cafety under attack for, "A False Rhetoric"
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 02:32:22 PM »
Dr Huffine of CAFETY responds:

I disagree with you Mr. Parham but not on the premise you posits above. I am a child and adolescent psychiarist and a student of the history of adolescence. What is tragic for me is when otherwise wise teachers like you Mr. Parham totally misunderstand the position of the group you hold up as ridiculous. Indeed CAFETY and its supporters do know that youth need guidance and support through their adolescent years and should not and cannot capriciously choose to leave home, party for nights on end and create whoopy on the streets. Most youth would NOT chose to do that in any case and actually respect, even if grudgingly, their parents authority. Parents should and do have power over their kids. Parents tend to have the money and resources that youth need. Parents also have a responsibiity to handle their power over their kids wisely and lovingly. Parents have a responsibility to support growing independence. When parents fail and become over protective, or even abusive, their kids need protections from the state. Austensibly they have assurances of protection from abuse and neglect by the state but tragically the reality is that the state fails and kids are left bereft on the streets unable to find housing and are readily victimized. For these kids the streets are no party, they are a place of further abuse and exploitation. Kids go there as throw aways much more then as runaways on a lark.

For these and other reasons youth need rights. As a board member of CAFETY I can assure you Mr. Parham we do NOT view youth rights in the same way as rights that forbid capricious discrimination against a subgroup of equivalent humans. We mean rights such as articulated by the United Nations committee on children. This declares all children and youth deserve to have the love and care they deserve, freedom from abuse and maltreatment and some legal assurance that they will get such necessary good treatment even if they don't have parents that can assure it.

It is for these principles, and their absence for many youth who have suffered terribly, that CAFETY promotes looking at the narrow issue of abuse in residential treatment. The acronym CAFETY stands for the Community Alliance For the Ethical Treatment of Youth. We believe youth have a right to such ethical treatment. Do you want to argue against that Mr. Parham? If you do I would be glad to tangle with you. Be flexible in your understanding of a concept of youth rights and don't set up straw men. Don't be on the wrong side of history and supporting those who are ignorant of adolescent development. You will be in league with a group of exploitive adults who con parents and abuse kids. Do understand that youth have needs for a balance of "protective factors" and taking "reasonable risks" for optimal development. Youth can exercise very mature judgment when their lives are well ordered and they are not in a tense emotional situation. They can make as reasonable choices at 13 or 14 as 18 year olds if in a calm and supportive setting. There is data for that and as a scholar you should learn about and respect that data. These are findings from testing and observing youth - much more reliable for such data then making inferences from amazing and colorful lit up brains showing incomplete myelination of neurons in the prefrontal cortex. Neuroscientest have only one thing over social scientists = more colorful slides of brains lit up.

Charley
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 04:55:39 PM »
Your response gives the indication that you are dismissing the article and the science because they don’t agree with your position.

You are not arguing against neuroscience from an intellectual stand point which is obvious by your dismissing  the science based on the colors they use without understanding their meaning. It is not unlike dismissing the Rorschach test because the inkblots lack color other than black.
I think you would give your cause a big boast by trying to understand emerging technologies a little better instead of dismissing them because their findings don’t agree with your science of choice.

In my opinion, here in 2010, MRI-DTI is much more exact than basing a diagnosis for a little boys struggles on a Greek tragedy like Oedipus.  I believe this technology will yield many discoveries to come and we should consider the results very seriously.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 12:07:05 AM »
Community Alliance for the Ethical Treatment of Youth (CAFETY) http://oldbeforewise.com/?p=296

Dr. Huffine of CAFETY responds to Sid Parham's (Family Foundation School) - See comments section.
A False Rhetoric
oldbeforewise.com
by Sid Parham on March 3, 2010 · 296Commentshttp://oldbeforewise.com/?p=296A+False+Rhetoric2010-03-03+21%3A07%3A49Sid+Parhamshttp://oldbeforewise.com/?p=296A+False+Rhetoric2010-03-03+21%3A07%3A49Sid+Parham
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Jeffery

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 05:31:55 PM »
:fuckoff:  :fuckoff:  :fuckoff: