Author Topic: Re: DSM-V Shadow Team now taking comments  (Read 3405 times)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: DSM-V Shadow Team now taking comments
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 05:37:07 PM »
Your psych professor knows what he is talking about.  He condensed my thoughts exactly into 3 sentences.  I would have worded it just a little differently and said:  “….. those dammed heartless Insurance companies…”

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 06:05:16 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
Your psych professor knows what he is talking about.  He condensed my thoughts exactly into 3 sentences.  I would have worded it just a little differently and said:  “….. those dammed heartless Insurance companies…”

A serious, sober, and somewhat eccentric fellow, he sure as hell knows what he is talking about.  After about two weeks into the semester, he told us in class: "Look, I could take anybody in the room and if you gave me forty-eight hours, I could make you psychotic.  This course should give you a whole new understanding of the word 'pathology' and should make you wary of ever pathologizing mental disorders."  That struck me as a revelation.

Also, the man is from NYC and knew a thing or two about DAYTOP and Synanon, Dederich, Casriel, and the whole bunch.  He called DAYTOP "the East Coast version of Synanon" and agreed with me that it was little more than a personality-driven sobriety cult and that B-mod and attack therapy practices are highly unethical, especially when used on children.  I was surprised that he knew about DAYTOP in such detail.  He knew about Straight and Newton, even, too.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 06:23:34 PM by SEKTO »

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 06:17:39 PM »
This is almost to gross to post, but speaking of wariness against pathologizing mental disorders…

Quote from: "RTP2003"
Quote from: "Eliscu2"
Intermittent Visual Nose Picking Disorder (IVNPD)

IVNPD is primarily characterized by unpredictable episodes or experiences compromised by the imagined perception of lights, patterns or objects in the visual cortex during intense nose picking excavations.

Source: Page 233 of the DSM-IV-FE*

This is hilarious, or would be if the rest of the damn thing weren't so, well, creepy.  I was wondering about the above disorder, though--what if the episodes can be linked to mornings after a night of insufflated drug abuse, such as snorting cocaine, heroin, xanax, or other drugs, particularly those that leave significant mucus encrustation?  Would this factor in, or is a new diagnosis indicated?
There’s always the possibility of a dual diagnosis. The comorbidity of both substance abuse problems as well as IVNPD is difficult to parse out and would of course require a lengthy stay at SIBS to root out the source of the primary symptoms.
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 06:25:33 PM »
Edited above post a little.  Please look it over for his knowledge of DAYTOP.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 06:35:18 PM »
Quote from: "SEKTO"
...A serious, sober, and somewhat eccentric fellow, he sure as hell knows what he is talking about.  After about two weeks into the semester, he told us in class: "Look, I could take anybody in the room and if you gave me forty-eight hours, I could make you psychotic.  This course should give you a whole new understanding of the word 'pathology' and should make you wary of ever pathologizing mental disorders."  That struck me as a revelation.
Also, the man is from NYC and knew a thing or two about DAYTOP and Synanon, Dederich, Casriel, and the whole bunch.  He called DAYTOP "the East Coast version of Synanon" and agreed with me that it was little more than a personality-driven sobriety cult and that B-mod and attack therapy practices are highly unethical, especially when used on children.  I was surprised that he knew about DAYTOP in such detail.  He knew about Straight and Newton, even, too.
The Prof said: "Look, I could take anybody in the room and if you gave me forty-eight hours, I could make you psychotic."
Uh hunh, at Daytop that was called a Marathon group.  :poison:
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis