Author Topic: Father Flanagan's BOYS' TOWN (from "I wonder what farm...")  (Read 19451 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Father Flanagan's BOYS' TOWN (from "I wonder what farm...")
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2010, 08:03:32 PM »
Quote from: "Oz girl"
i guess this is no longer just a discussion on boystown, more about the law in general but to me the argument of oh well the law can be an ass sometimes is not good enough when it comes to prosecuting people. If repressed memory therapy is considered a crock by the mental health establishment it has absolutely no place in a court room. Particularly when the alleged crime took place over 30 years ago. There is little to no evidence that trauma victims remember nothing. If anything the common symptoms of trauma related mental illness like ptsd include regular flash backs. Good therapy can help people come to terms with the bad memories and even piece together what happened but not "uncover" stuff that they simply dont recall
In this case it was likely a legal strategy since, at the time, there was no other way to press charges after an unrealistically short statute of limitations had run out. If I recall correctly, and I may well not, they changed the statute in Nebraska after these sexual abuse cases with Boys Town.

I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of repressed memory though... I think such a phenomenon exists in extreme trauma cases; however, I think it is probably far far more rare than is currently thought. Or, maybe everyone else already thinks that and I just don't know it.

I also think occurrence has a lot to do with a person's cultural or societal context at the time. Namely, the less accepting the culture, the more likely the repression. George Orwell wrote a great book in which the protagonist undergoes an episode of amnesia about her life: The Clergyman's Daughter.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2010, 08:09:52 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
Quote from: "BuzzKill"
This repressed memories thing can be very dangerous. The reality is memories can be created. Some therapist are all to skilled at helping their dramatic and imaginative patients, (who can often-times have trouble telling reality from fiction on a good day), come up with some very destructive memories.  

There may be cases of people who suddenly recall an event they had forgotten - I'm not arguing such a thing can never happen. What I am saying is, unless there is other evidence - others who were aware of the event and can give supportive testimony; or some kind of physical evidence that supports the memory - then it should never be accepted in an of itself as evidence of a crime.

I would like to see it become a crime for a therapist to manipulate fragile and impressionable patients into believing they are victims of abuse and assault that never occurred.
Yeah.  Remembering something on your own is one thing but if a therapist hypnotizes you or otherwise "helps" you remember, false memories can be created.
This is one of the reasons that I (personally) am so anti-hypnosis. I suppose a lot of people have found benefit for certain things like smoking cessation and the like, but I guess I have so little trust in the mental health industry at this point, I dunno if I'd even trust them for something as noninvasive as that...  :D

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2010, 08:30:27 PM »
Oh no way would I consent to hypnosis.

But it doesn't have to be hypnosis to create false memories. The constant suggestion that: " everyone I've ever treated with your symptoms was sexually abused - I am sure you were as well and you can't improve until you remember and talk through it"  is more than enough for many patients to begin to remember awful things that never happened.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2010, 08:56:05 PM »
Quote from: "BuzzKill"
Oh no way would I consent to hypnosis.

But it doesn't have to be hypnosis to create false memories. The constant suggestion that: " everyone I've ever treated with your symptoms was sexually abused - I am sure you were as well and you can't improve until you remember and talk through it"  is more than enough for many patients to begin to remember awful things that never happened.
For that matter, the constant reminder that, "Every kid that I've ever dealt with that wasn't able to admit to misdeeds that I believe him or her to be guilty of ... has a real attitude problem and is morally compromising the community," is enough for some kids to begin to believe that they are inherently flawed. And that is the mindset of a lot of programs. In fact, it is enough for some kids to discount or downplay actual abuses that occur as part of or during their time in the program! At least for a while...

I'd wager that something of this ilk occurred to the young men whilst they were at Boys Town, though that's just my opinion! :D

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2010, 09:29:21 PM »
isnt spamming a legitimate discussion with a clear program advertisement like this against the new forum rules? Psy?

I don't really think that's spam. I think it's rather informative. I wonder if the good Fathers of Boys' Town have any dealings with Larry King of Lincon, NB (now that is an advertisement, but I think it's appropriate in context and therefore not spam)

Aside from that the whole thing sounds just swell, except for a couple of things. It's terrifying to think that a judge can order your child into an adoptive family against your or their will. I wonder how much contact these kids have with their real families or with the community nearest their compounds. Think about what the Jesuits were all about in Austria around the beginning of the rise of Naziism. Fuckin WOW!  :timeout:

I think I'll go see if I can find some Boys Town networking sites laying around and get some answers.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2010, 01:10:32 AM »
I wasnt talking about the posts that ursus put up to illustrate his Point, I was talking about the piece Kristen put up in the middle of the discussion that was selling boystown, by giving a brief glowing history presumably from their website but that had nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

Ursus I guess where I am puzzled is why they would choose to rely on repressed memory testimony when as you have pointed out plenty of men have claimed that they remember pretty clearly. I Dont understand how a court can possibly throw out a legitimate memory for being too old but then accept an even older memory that was "repressed". usually there is a statute of limitations because the older a case is the harder it is to prove. Particularly when witnesses are dead etc. So with this in mind to throw something even more unreliable into the mix like a repressed memory is totally counter to the reasoning behind the original statute of limitations.
In terms of the priest in the middle of the scandal stepping down or retiring while proclaiming his innocence, I think the church has finally done something right here. If someone is accused of a crime against children it is standard practice for them to stop working with children while the case is running. This does not and should not negate their right to plead innocence, it just means that until a legal resolution is reached no child is at risk of being abused. In the event they are found not guilty it is a decision for the organization who hired them. Some companies "suspend" emloyment and give th job beck if you are innocent. Most ask you to resign or retire. Surely you would not advocate that he just be allowed to keep doing the job while on trial for such a serious offence?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2010, 01:53:24 PM »
Surely you would not advocate that he just be allowed to keep doing the job while on trial for such a serious offence?
Lol. I don't know where you get the idea that I "advocate that he just be allowed to keep doing the job," if that's what you're implying... Quite the opposite. What *I* would advocate is probably best not put into print!

Also, James Kelly was not on trial, as was pointed out in the above articles.* James Duffy brought his lawsuit against Boys' Town and the Archdiocese of Omaha. I'm sure that Kelly retired as a means of PR damage control; whether that was his choice or a "recommendation" from the Archdiocese of Reno where he was thence employed, I have no clue.

* At least in three of them. I went back and checked carefully and the shortest article from the TV station got it wrong, so perhaps it's just as well that this point gets clarified. Thanks for bringing it up!

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2010, 07:36:04 AM »
but the lawsuit was specifically pertaining to what kelly is alleged to have done. So it seems perfectly reasonable to "retire" him for without him there would be no problem. Any company or organization would do the same. This still does not prove that children attend boystown without informed consent or that the day to day methods that the school use are abusive or harmful. It just suggests that 1 guy probably molested some boys and the school handled it badly. By those stnadards you would advocate nearly every catholic school and or parish older than about 10 years be shut down. Also many secular orgainizations like the Boy Scouts who have at any point in the past dealt with abuse allegations unprofessionally.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Team Launches Investigation Into Boys Town Charges
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2010, 10:45:11 AM »
but the lawsuit was specifically pertaining to what kelly is alleged to have done.
But not just Father James Kelly, also counselor Michael Wolf. And... James Duffy claimed that other kids were also molested by these two.

So... an independent investigation was launched as to what actually went on there. Gotta wonder just how "independent" it could possibly be, when Boys' Town defense council James Martin Davis is leading the team. Lol. Sometimes I can't believe they actually print this stuff and no one raises their eyebrows.

KETV7abc OMAHA
Team Launches Investigation Into Boys Town Charges
Former Student Says He Was Sexually Abused At School

POSTED: 6:02 p.m. CST February 12, 2003
UPDATED: 10:46 a.m. CST February 13, 2003

OMAHA, Neb. -- An independent investigation is being launched Wednesday into sexual abuse allegations by a former Boys Town student.

The former student said a priest and counselor molested him at the school 25 years ago.

A team of four people plan to look into the allegations.

Defense attorney James Martin Davis is representing the school and said he'll lead the investigation.

Davis said the team is composed of investigators, including former FBI agent John Pankonin, former Omaha police detective Richard Circo and well-known private detective Dennis Whelan of Omaha.

Davis said the investigation would be very thorough.

"It's going to be handled with integrity, independent of Boys Town. That's how they want it done; those are my marching orders," Davis said.

Davis said he expected the results of the investigation to be made public when completed.

Copyright 2003 by TheOmahaChannel.com. All rights reserved.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Alleged Abuser Dead In Case Against Girls And Boys Town
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2010, 05:09:59 PM »
I'm not sure whether this piece of news came out as a result of the investigation, or whether it just came out, but ... it turns out that counselor Michael Wolf, one of the alleged abusers, died a dozen years prior:

KETV7abc OMAHA
Alleged Abuser Dead In Case Against Girls And Boys Town
Former Resident Accused Priest, Counselor of Abuse

POSTED: 2:30 p.m. CST February 19, 2003

OMAHA -- One of two men accused in a lawsuit against Girls and Boys Town of molesting a student 25 years ago is dead.

Attorneys for both sides have been looking for the counselor. It turns out, he died 12 years ago.

A former student says 25 years ago he was sexually abused at Boys Town by two men, Michael Wolf, a counselor, and a priest, the Rev. James Kelley.

"Obviously, Father Kelly denies it; we would have expected Mr. Wolf to deny it," said James Martin Davis, an attorney for Girls and Boys Town.

Davis said the search for Wolf ended in Indianapolis. The former counselor died of a heart attack there in August 1990. He was 48.

People investigating the allegations will now rely on interviews with other students, teachers and parents to determine what's true and what's not.

The attorney representing the former student lives in Arizona. He said the counselor's death will make no difference because his client wasn't suing the counselor; the client is suing Girls and Boys Town along with the Catholic Archdiocese of Omaha.

"By the time it goes to trial, we'll have abundant evidence that Wolf was a child abuser," the attorney said. "It won't matter whether he was alive."

Davis doubts the case will ever make it to trial, though, because of the statute of limitations. But the other attorney disagrees: He says that the statute of limitations doesn't apply because the student had repressed memories.

The investigation under way -- being completed by Davis at the request of Girls and Boys Town -- will take at least several more weeks.

The results will be made public, Davis said, no matter what the outcome.

Copyright 2003 by TheOmahaChannel.com. All rights reserved.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Number Alleging Abuse at Boys Town Rises to 4
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2010, 02:49:52 PM »
A number of other men came forward, claiming childhood sexual abuse by one or both of the alleged abusers, the Rev. James Kelly and counselor Michael Wolf. To date, these have not yet evolved into lawsuits.

The following article is archived on the BishopAccountability.org website. Another edition of this same story which was circulated in Nebraska (with minor text variation) is accessible HERE.

World-Herald [OMAHA]
Number Alleging Abuse at Boys Town Rises to 4

By Stephen Buttry
February 23, 2003

PHOENIX - The number of former Boys Town residents who say they were sexually abused, or fended off sexual advances, in the 1970s and '80s by two staff members of the famed Omaha refuge for children is now at five.

One of the men, Lance Rivers of Phoenix, provided The World-Herald with extensive hospital records that show Boys Town investigated sexual abuse allegations against counselor Michael Wolf, who died in Indiana in 1990.

Rivers, now 35, claims that Wolf initially asked to watch him masturbate, then fondled him and performed oral sex on him, paying him off with baseball cards for nearly nightly abuse in the early 1980s.

Another Arizona man, James Duffy, sued Jan. 30, alleging that Wolf and the Rev. James Kelly sexually abused him while he was at Boys Town in the 1970s. Duffy has declined an interview request through his attorney, William Walker of Tucson.

Wayne Garsky, now living in Oakland, Calif., screamed "Yes!" when told recently that someone else had accused Kelly of sexual abuse. "I'm 35 years old, and I've been waiting for this for so long." Garsky said Kelly fondled his crotch through his clothes during confession.

A fourth man, who lived in Wolf's house at Boys Town and spoke only on condition that his name not be used, said Wolf and Kelly abused him in the 1980s.

Rivers' older brother, John Rivers, now of Neapolis, Ohio, says Wolf made sexual advances but did not abuse him.

Kelly told The World-Herald that he did not sexually abuse boys.

Kelly and Wolf left Boys Town in 1983, a year before Archbishop Daniel Sheehan appointed the Rev. Val Peter to succeed Monsignor Robert Hupp as executive director at Boys Town. Peter assisted Hupp for a year before Hupp retired in 1985. The organization changed its name to Girls and Boys Town in 2000.

Peter declined to be interviewed for this story.

James Martin Davis, an Omaha attorney hired by Boys Town this month to handle allegations of sexual abuse, said if any boys "suffered at the hands of renegade employees," Peter will make "a real effort to make these kids whole again."

Peter and Davis have vowed to protect the legacy of the home's beloved founder, Father Edward Flanagan, whether that means fighting false allegations or atoning for the actions of abusive former staff members.

In announcing an investigation of the lawsuit's allegations, Davis said Kelly and Wolf would have abused other youths if Duffy's allegations were true. He said Friday that investigators have found no evidence of sexual abuse in Boys Town files or in interviews with former residents, including about 10 who lived with Wolf.

Hospital records show that Lance Rivers told Peter in 1991 that Wolf had abused him eight years earlier. Boys Town discounts the abuse claim because Rivers has a long history of mental illness.

"I couldn't help it that I was mentally ill," Rivers said in an interview at his Phoenix apartment. The memory of Wolf's abuse, he said, "drove me insane."

Determining the truth can be difficult in any sexual abuse case, especially one that happened many years ago. Few molesters commit their crimes with witnesses around. Experts in child care and sexual abuse say the very circumstances that bring troubled youths to a place such as Boys Town can make them more vulnerable to abuse and can provide grounds to question their credibility.

"Every one of them was a problem," Hupp said last week.

Davis said he will ask Kelly and any accusers to take a polygraph test.

Many former residents say Boys Town provided the structure and guidance they needed to live happy, productive lives. Former residents, including some who knew Kelly and Wolf, have said in recent interviews that no one molested them and that they doubt others were abused.

Jim Dornacker of Omaha remembers Kelly coming for dinner to the Boys Town house where he lived. "He was very professional," Dornacker said. "When he prayed with you, he'd touch the back of your head. . . . It was almost like God was sitting on your shoulder, saying, 'Hey, I'm here.' "

Garsky remembers Kelly differently: "He was a freak in confession. . . . He would touch you and he would feel you." Garsky said he did not report the abuse because he did not think anyone would believe him. "This was a man of God."

The former resident who asked that his name not be used said Kelly abused him during confession. But the man did not provide details.

Rivers said Kelly did not abuse him but did ask him once in confession to pull down his pants. Rivers said he left and never went to confession with Kelly again.

"Every bit of that's absolutely false," Kelly said Friday from Carson City, Nev., where he was a prison chaplain until Feb. 3, when Bishop Howard Hubbard of Albany, N.Y., suspended him from the ministry. Kelly was ordained in the Albany Diocese and served as a priest there before and after working at Boys Town.

Davis said his investigation has not turned up any allegations about Kelly beyond those raised by Duffy in his lawsuit.

"If Father Kelly is guilty of doing any of these things, particularly in confession, Father Peter would want to hang him by his Roman collar," Davis said. "That is not only a violation of his holy orders, but it's a desecration of the sacrament of confession."

Lance Rivers was a runaway and a victim of physical abuse before coming to Boys Town in December 1979 from Toledo, Ohio, at the age of 12.

He was an avid baseball player and fan. Every two weeks, he would take his $11 paycheck for chores at the high school office and spend it all on baseball cards.

In early 1981, Rivers said, he moved into the Boys Town home at 116 Maher Circle where Wolf lived with several boys.

After Boys Town converted in the 1970s from dormitories to family homes, most boys lived with married couples. Wolf was the last single person who lived with boys in the new role of "family teacher."

Wolf taught for at least four years at Our Lady of Lourdes School in Omaha. The Rev. William L'Heureux, pastor at Our Lady of Lourdes, said church directories show that Wolf taught at the school from 1970 to 1974. Boys Town records show that boys and supervisors gave Wolf high marks on his evaluations.

Rivers gives this account of the abuse he alleges by Wolf:

One night a few months after Rivers moved in, Wolf was making a routine bed check and caught Rivers masturbating. The next day Wolf asked Rivers, "What could I do to get you to do that for me?"

Rivers said he would need some "dirty magazines" and wanted to be allowed to smoke cigarettes. Wolf, expressing concern that Rivers spent all his money on baseball cards, also offered to buy him cards. Their deal was that Wolf would buy a box each of Topps, Fleer and Donruss cards every two weeks.

"I was scared, nervous, but I saw an opportunity," Rivers recalled. "I never had nothing in my life. And here was this guy asking me to do something I thought was fun, and he'd give me baseball cards."

For their first encounter, Wolf drove Rivers in a Boys Town car to a convenience store and bought four pornographic magazines. Then Wolf drove to Walnut Grove Park at 150th and Q Streets, where Rivers masturbated while Wolf watched.

The next time, Wolf told Rivers to come to the dining room at night. "He would already have the magazines down there. He would shut the drapes and close the door and lock it."

At Wolf's instruction, Rivers took off his clothes and paraded around the room, even climbing on the table and prancing about. "I blocked it out," Rivers said. "I didn't think about the consequences at the time. All I thought about was the cards."

In the dining room, Wolf started touching Rivers. In later episodes, Wolf performed oral sex on him, a progression that resulted in doubling the card payment. "Only one time did he want me to touch him," Rivers said. The boy didn't want to, and Wolf didn't ask again.

Rivers says the abuse continued every night some weeks, even on vacations Wolf took with the boys.

The youth who asked that his name not be used said Wolf sexually abused him on a vacation to Colorado Springs.

Rivers said his payoffs from Wolf filled a trunk with cards. A letter to his mother boasts that he displayed 840 cards on his bulletin board. He said Wolf took him to card shows and bought him expensive cards of Johnny Bench, Mickey Mantle and Hank Aaron.

John Rivers remembers that his brother "had a baseball collection that was the envy of the whole state of Nebraska."

A 1983 fire that filled the house with smoke on a Sunday morning led to Wolf's departure. Lance Rivers and the youth who alleged abuse by Kelly and Wolf said no one called the fire department and Wolf, his assistant, Bob Marceau, and the boys put out the fire.

Everyone else in the village was at church, and the fire escaped notice initially. The former residents said Wolf told the boys not to tell anyone and directed Marceau and the boys in cleaning up the smoke damage. Marceau would not comment for this story.

Davis, the Girls and Boys Town attorney, confirmed that Wolf resigned after Boys Town officials learned about the fire two months later. Boys Town records show that he said he started the fire in his bathtub, burning "girlie magazines" confiscated from the boys.

John Rivers, Lance's older brother, moved to Boys Town after the fire. Wolf invited him into his apartment, John said. "You could smell the smoke damage in his bedroom really strong." John also saw "a huge pile of pornography at least knee high."

He said Wolf "asked me to masturbate for him."

John, 18 at the time, declined. "On another occasion, he had offered to take me to a brothel in Council Bluffs. He wanted to watch me have sex with one of the hookers there." The youth also declined that offer, he said.

After word of the fire leaked out, Wolf told Lance Rivers that he was going to be fired and asked Rivers to move with him to Lafayette, Ind. Rivers said he wanted to go home and live with his father. Wolf drove Lance and John to the bus station and bought them tickets home.

An obituary in the Lafayette Journal and Courier said Wolf worked for six years as a counselor at the United Methodist Children's Home in Lebanon, Ind., and died of a heart attack in Indianapolis Aug. 19, 1990.

Gary Davis, director of the Indiana home, said no one there has complained of abuse by Wolf.

Living with his father didn't work out for Lance Rivers. When he asked to return to Boys Town in 1984, he said, he was quizzed by Lou Palma, who supervised Wolf.

"Lance, did you have sexual relations with Mike Wolf?" Palma asked.

"I said 'no' because I had to come back to Boys Town," Rivers said. "It would have ruined everything for me."

Palma, now living in Las Vegas, declined to be interviewed for this story.

Hospital records show Boys Town did investigate sexual abuse allegations against Wolf. Records from Rivers' 1991 hospitalization at the St. Joseph Center for Mental Health say that Mark Graham, who worked with Rivers following graduation in Boys Town's continuing care program, told a St. Joseph social worker that an "investigation of sexual abuse allegation by Lance was done with the male staff involved." The records identify Wolf as the alleged abuser.

Graham, now living in Colorado, confirmed the investigation but did not recall details. Davis, the attorney, said his investigators have seen no evidence of the investigation in Boys Town files.

Until 1991, Rivers says, he told no one other than his brother John about being abused by Wolf. The secret, Lance said, "was destroying me inside." He said he would spend holidays alone in a park, smoking marijuana, listening to music and crying. He had lost his job and was distraught and destitute.

In 1991, Rivers told his former family teachers about the abuse, then met with Peter and Palma at Boys Town April 24, 1991. Rivers said he told them his story. "The first thing that came out of Val Peter's mouth was 'prove it.' "

Rivers says he asked Peter for a loan. St. Joseph records say Rivers "attempted to blackmail Father Peter for $10,000 cash."

Rivers ran from the meeting but continued repeating his allegation to other staff members in the days that followed. Hospital records show and Rivers admits that at one point he threatened to kill Peter. "It was a blind threat. I was never going to carry it out."

He says he stormed into church one Sunday when Peter was preaching. "I was sweating and angry and I just looked at him. I wanted to stop the whole church thing right there. . . . Something snapped inside me that said, 'Wait a minute, Lance.' "

Instead, he took Communion from Peter. "He put his hand on my right shoulder and he said, 'God be with you.' "

Finally, Rivers decided to kill himself. On May 17, 1991, he drove his girlfriend's Trans Am around Boys Town. When he turned onto West Dodge Road and saw Father Flanagan's church, he said, "Father Flanagan, I'm coming to see you."

Police reports show that Rivers drove east down the westbound lanes, causing a five-car crash. No one was seriously injured.

Rivers spent more than a month at St. Joseph, committed by the Douglas County Board of Mental Health on a petition from Boys Town. Over the next 11 years, he was hospitalized nine times, according to records he gave The World-Herald. The records describe him as paranoid, delusional and abusing drugs.

Records show Rivers was diagnosed as bipolar, with post-traumatic stress disorder from being abused. In at least 13 instances, the records cited sexual abuse.

Rivers says he has been off illegal drugs since July 15. He takes two prescription drugs to control the chemical imbalance that causes bipolar disorder. He is hoping to attend vocational school in Phoenix to learn about heating and air-conditioning. "I'm trying to straighten my life out."

He admitted his mental illness, discussing it in great detail and providing 116 pages of records. "Just because I was mentally ill doesn't mean I'm not a victim," Rivers said. "I'm not a psychopath. I was abused."

He remains especially bitter toward Peter. "He pulled a Pontius Pilate on me. He washed his hands of the situation."

Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Abuse Allegations Probed At Boys Town
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2010, 10:26:51 AM »
Despite the additional voices confirming sexual abuse at Boys Town, former priest James Kelly continues to deny any and all wrongdoing:

CBS News.com
Abuse Allegations Probed At Boys Town
Former Priest Denies Molesting Boys; Considers Filing Lawsuit

By Jarrett Murphy
OMAHA, Neb., Feb. 25, 2003

(AP)   A former priest at Boys Town, the fabled home for wayward youths, on Monday denied accusations that he sexually abused boys.

Former Boys Town pupil James Duffy alleged in a lawsuit last month that the Rev. James Kelly and a counselor, the late Michael Wolf, repeatedly molested him in the late 1970s.

The suit named neither Kelly nor Wolf as defendants, instead naming Boys Town and the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Omaha.

On Sunday, the Omaha World-Herald reported that four other men have made sex abuse allegations against Kelly and Wolf. None has sued.

Addressing the lawsuit and the other allegations, Kelly said: "I definitely deny it."

"The stuff that is coming out now, they are coming out of the woodwork," Kelly said in a telephone interview from his home in Carson City, Nev.

He said he's considering a defamation of character lawsuit: "Somebody said I should be proactive, and I'm thinking about it."

James Martin Davis, the attorney hired by Boys Town to lead an investigation into Duffy's allegations, said the home will probe the new allegations as well.

"I'm concerned with the validity of all these allegations," he said.

One of the men who lodged the new complaints, 35-year-old Wayne Garsky of Oakland, Calif., told The Associated Press on Monday night that he was at Boys Town in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

"I was 12 years old, dude, and I was put in a place I thought was safe and it wasn't safe," Garsky said.

Kelly was accused of sexual misconduct in 1983 and 1984 in New York, but two investigations by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany found the allegations not credible.

Both Wolf and Kelly left Boys Town in 1983. The school's name was changed to Girls and Boys Town in 2000.

The home was made famous by the Oscar-winning 1938 Spencer Tracy movie "Boys Town."

©MMIII The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
New Lawsuits Threatened
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2010, 03:17:52 PM »
Here is where the state really should have stepped in (if not earlier) to conduct its own investigation. Didn't Nebraska care about the truth? Maybe not. The team headed by the Boys Town lawyer "can't find anything," which is not too surprising. Why would they want to?

WOWT.com
New Lawsuits Threatened
Local investigation is stalled

Posted: 10:00 PM Mar 11, 2003

An investigation of alleged sexual abuse at Boys Town years ago is now one month old and, so far, the team hired by Girls and Boys Town to investigate, has uncovered no evidence of wrongdoing.

Omaha attorney James Martin Davis and three investigators were asked to conduct a neutral investigation but the key witnesses are not talking to them.

Davis says, "The disconcerting fact is that fact that the people who allegedly made the allegations haven't talked to us."

When Davis began the investigation, one person had made allegations. Now, four people have made allegations against Boys Town.

One of them, James Duffy, filed a lawsuit five weeks ago. Duffy, who now lives in Arizona, claims he was physically and sexually molested by counselor Michael Wolf and Father James Kelly in the late 1970s.

Davis says three others who have made similar allegations are not talking.

He says, "If they came to us, we'll listen with a willingness to be convinced in terms of what these allegations are and do whatever we can to objectively interview those allegations."

To that, Duffy's attorney, William Walker, says he's skeptical that Davis and his investigators are neutral since they're being paid by Girls and Boys Town but he says he's open to answering questions on behalf of his client and other alleged victims who have contacted him.

Walker says, "In the short time I had in Omaha with my investigator we were able to uncover additional evidence that both Wolf and Kelly engaged in molestation activities at Boys Town. I don't know why investigators who have a permanent base in Omaha can't find the same information we found."

Meanwhile, five weeks after filing the lawsuit, Davis questions why the Arizona attorney still has not served the papers to Girls and Boys Town so the civil lawsuit can go forward.

Davis says, "I'm really suspicious that this Walker really doesn't know what he's doing."

Walker says the papers are now on the way. He says that he has talked with a number of alleged victims and adds that he may be filing more lawsuits against Girls and Boys Town in the future.

Davis says he needs to know the specific allegations in these cases so that he can ask specific questions when he interviews Father Kelly. The counselor named in the allegations died several years ago.

Davis also says that he'd like to give the alleged victims polygraph tests but he says James Duffy's attorney won't allow that.

Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2010

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Second Suit Alleges Boys Town Abuse
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2010, 12:53:27 PM »
The second Lawsuit finally gets filed. The plaintiff, known only as "John Doe" at this point, alleges abuse at the hands of the same two perpetrators, but from a different time period than that noted in James Duffy's suit.

The following article is archived on the BishopAccountability.org website.

Omaha World Herald [NEBRASKA]
Second Suit Alleges Boys Town Abuse
An Unidentified Man Says he was Molested by the Rev. James Kelly and Michael Wolf

By Stephen Buttry
March 25, 2003

A second man has filed suit alleging sexual abuse by a priest and a counselor when he was at Boys Town.

The suit was filed Tuesday in Douglas County District Court on behalf of a Nebraska man identified only as "John Doe." The suit says the man will be identified to the court and the defendants.

James Duffy, now living in Arizona, filed suit Jan. 31, alleging that he was abused in the late 1970s at Boys Town by the Rev. James Kelly and Michael Wolf, a counselor who lived in a house with several boys.

The John Doe who filed suit Tuesday alleges abuse by Kelly and Wolf starting in about 1982. The youth lived at Boys Town from 1981 to 1987.

The suit was filed against Father Flanagan's Boys Home, the legal name of the organization that now goes publicly by Girls and Boys Town. Also named as a defendant is Kelly, now living in Carson City, Nev. Wolf died in 1990. Both left Boys Town in 1983.

Kelly has denied sexually abusing boys. James Martin Davis, attorney for Girls and Boys Town, was out of his office and did not return a phone call Tuesday morning.

Like the earlier lawsuit, the suit filed Tuesday does not detail how or where the alleged abuse occurred. It charges that Kelly and Wolf "each engaged in separate, wide-ranging plans to use their influence and positions" at Boys Town to sexually abuse youths who lived there.

The petition says Boys Town knew or should have known about Kelly's and Wolf's behavior. The suit accuses Boys Town of negligence in hiring and supervising the men.

The man filing the suit "will be emotionally and mentally scarred for life," the petition says. The suit says that the man's memory of the sexual abuse was repressed. He started recovering the memories on or after March 27, 2002, the suit says.

The lawsuit was filed by William Walker of Tucson, Ariz., the lawyer who also filed the Duffy suit. Walker is assisted in this case by Dale Romatzke of Kearney, Neb.

In addition to the two men who have sued, two other men alleged in interviews with The World-Herald that Wolf or Kelly abused them while they lived at Boys Town in the 1980s. Lance Rivers of Phoenix said Wolf abused him, and Wayne Garsky of Oakland, Calif., alleged abuse by Kelly.

Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.