Author Topic: Re: AND THEY NEVER LOOKED BACK? THEY LEFT IT OPEN  (Read 5677 times)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: AND THEY NEVER LOOKED BACK? THEY LEFT IT OPEN
« on: January 22, 2010, 03:13:10 PM »
mind if I move this to the Elan forum?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 03:15:07 PM »
Bossy, could you please provide LINKS for the above articles?
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 08:33:33 PM »
Quote from: "Eliscu2"
[Personally I think H.R. 911 is a waste of time, but it does generate media attention....and discussion.
:notworthy:
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 02:56:37 AM »
Quote from: "bossybee39"
Quote from: "psy"
[Personally I think H.R. 911 is a waste of time, but it does generate media attention....and discussion.
I dont really know why media attention has never been focused where it should be, however it amazes me how we even in this forum have some pretty powerful writers and speakers, that there is no reason we cannot start demanding some action. It is like we have for years backed off when the shit gets to hard, Well no more, it is time to make these people answer for this. Not only Elan, but other schools and bootcamps that have the nerve to disregard our youth as they see fit. You cannot tell me with the intelligence roaming these forums no one has any good ideas in them, or spirit to take on the uphill battles.
There are people here that have with the spirit you speak of have undertaken the considerable task of fighting the uphill battles of which you speak.
I see you all fight each other, all with bitter tongues. Now lets put that to work damit.
Excellent idea, you’ll find there’s a lot of like minded drive and productive discussion on that throughout Fornits. There are of course differences of opinion about how best to achieve the goals of promoting awareness and inciting change, but even there determination and passion is shared.  
We are not talking about something of non importance we are talking about kids. Now if we watch the news we get all pissed off when bad things happen to little kids, well what is the problem here? Why are we not taking action to allow these children the same curtousy we all should of been extended but never recieved?
Damn, right. Keep talking about it. Keep reading and keep focused to that end.
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline mark babitz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 09:19:29 AM »
They knew in the 70's that place was so brutal, why the hell was it able to survive and stay open? Wow

I know that whenever I tried to tell someone the truth about Elan I was labeled crazy.
Even after all of the media coverage of the Skaekel trial nobody believed me.
It is pretty sick when you try to wrap your mind around it.
Personally I think H.R. 911 is a waste of time, but it does generate media attention....and discussion.
The average joe citizen has no clue about this stuff.
I was sent there indirectly by Dr. Marvin Schwartz also.
The Mental Health System and Programs are all the same system.
SAMHSA:http://http://www.samhsa.gov/
:rocker: The problem I see is there isn't much current stuff to talk about thats in print. What is needed is present day things blown up and shown. And thats going to take the newer residents to talk about and substantiate. Us old timers look like we never cared until now.I know for myself and many others that Elan was one of those things that was suppressed and not thought about due to the times in society, What I mean is there really weren't any child abuse laws to speack of in the 70s, corporal punishment was widely used and not looked at closely. Allot of you talk about ADH and other disorders Bipolar etc.In the 70s they called that a incorrigible kid, and if you were to far over the edge they doped you with Thorazine and other mind altering drugs.And dealt with you as a zombie, i saw a few of my friends over the years get turned to veggies.Remember back then Shock treatment was popular and Lobotomies. A time were you were glad it wasn't that step, so, a little yelling and fighting was no big deal.Before The Great Dr Swartz sent me for my tour at Elan I saw him send quite a few two advanced treatment as they called it and it was not pretty, I ran away from Rivers Edge and they sent me to Tinley Park because it was more secure, I was not in the round house eather thank God. That's were all the hi performance nuts  were and the ones they turned into nuts.I saw one of my best friends turned into a nut, He was a bit violent and liked to fight and was hard headed, we spent allot of years growing up together and he wasn't crazy. just a violent house hold like I grew up in so he would lash out sometimes one others,But they were fights and he was not a bully at all, quite the opposite . Well he never new when to stop and they zapped and drugged him.They should have just killed him,Nothing was the same and he wasn't even there anymore, A very scary sad thing to see happen to someone.  :(

Offline mark babitz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 09:23:29 AM »
Lobotomy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaThe Freeman-Watts prefrontal lobotomy still required drilling holes in the scalp, ... Prefrontal lobotomy has also been used successfully to control pain ...

Context - Pioneers - Prevalence - Indications for lobotomy ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobotomy - Cached - Similar
Lobotomy and SchizophreniaJan 7, 2002 ... Lobotomy was used to bypass the abnormalities in the frontal lobe by taking it out of the equation altogether. ...
serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/f00/.../gallagher2.html - Cached - Similar
What is a Lobotomy?Dec 17, 2009 ... Lobotomies are still used by sadistic psychiatrists. They just use other terms now instead of lobotomy because of the stigma attached to ...
www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-lobotomy.htm - Cached - Similar

Offline mark babitz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 09:34:01 AM »
Elan School - Colbath Rd, Poland, ME - TruliaElan School. See parent ratings and reviews, state test scores, student-teacher ratios, ... Bad bad bad place,stay away if you know whats good for you! ...
http://www.trulia.com/schools/ME-Poland/Elan_School/ - Cached   :fuckoff: How do people rave like this???? :beat:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:36:38 AM by mark babitz »

Offline mark babitz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 09:41:55 AM »
:jawdrop: parentalcation: A Brief History of the Frontal LobotomyIn February 1967, Walter Freeman performed his last lobotomy on Helen Mortenson .... A few preliminary passes are done over the area, and the MRI is used to ...
parentalcation.blogspot.com/.../brief-history-of-frontal-lobotomy.html - Cached :jawdrop: About Lobotomy | PsychosurgeryLobotomy Information; The three common versions of psychosurgery were prefrontal ... telling Freeman that he must “stop doing brain surgery as an office ...
www.psychosurgery.org/about-lobotomy/ - Cached - Similar :jawdrop: Some bad stuff,Elan just tried it without tools,or drillling.

Offline mark babitz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 09:54:01 AM »
I find myself very Lucky not be zapped or drugged, I know I performed like I was out of control and not much worse than some of my friends that did get the treatments.And I guess thats why it hit home with me , because they seemed to be the unlucky ones that got caught up in the system to far.I was as crazy as them but just never got put into that loop thank God.I will never understand the thinking behind the wide spread use of advanced treatment outside of a truly insane violent person.Perhaps my parents had compassion and didn't let the Drs take it to the next level. I dont know, I would rather see more talking and yelling than the alternatives.The only ones that win are the Drs and insurance co., and the drug companies.

Offline mark babitz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 10:03:29 AM »
:soapbox: YouTube - Elan School | Elan School Videos | Elan School Student LifeNov 3, 2009 ... Elan School has been abusing teens for over 30 years. ... This video will appear on your blog shortly. Loading... Loading... Loading. ...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2qjFT9Pimg - Cached ::OMG::

Offline mark babitz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 10:18:21 AM »
:cheers: Elan Hate | Facebook26 posts - 12 authors - Last post: Feb 11, 2009
Elan Hate. Back to I went to Elan School .... i dont know if i hate elan as much as i hated my parents for sending me there . ...
www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2234330403&topic=2141 - Cached :cheers:

Offline mark babitz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 10:20:49 AM »
:jawdrop: SCREECHING HALTThe Elan School was actually a therapeutic community based on the model of ... became the underground's most infamous grump—the punk everyone loved to hate. ...
www.jimdero.com/OtherWritings/Other%20Weasel.htm - Cached - Similar :jawdrop:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 01:36:55 PM »
Personally I think H.R. 911 is a waste of time, but it does generate media attention....and discussion.

Dig it!

The average joe citizen has no clue about this stuff.
I was sent there indirectly by Dr. Marvin Schwartz also.
The Mental Health System and Programs are all the same system.
SAMHSA:http://http://www.samhsa.gov/

Dig, dig! http://www.samhsa.gov/samhsa_news/Volum ... ticle3.htm
Bobby DuPont was Nixon's head of the newly created National Institute on Drug Abuse [NIDA] who first granted The Seed some millions a year for expansion after touring and being very impressed with Synanon. And he's stiiiiiillll at it! Joe Ricci and Seed founder Art Barker have so much in common I've seriously wondered if they went to "school" together. And I wonder if Joe got some of the same kind of funding.

BTW, do you know if Marvin is any close kin to Richard Schwartz?
http://www.thestraights.com/people/medi ... search.htm
(`bout halfway down that page you'll find a letter from Jim Hartz and Donald Ian MacDonald (early drug czar and Straight, Inc. Parent Group member) on Straight, Inc. letterhead defining the new position of medical research director.

We've only just begun to peak down dis wabbit hole.
[flash=]http://michaelcrawfordportfolio.com/docs/video/rabbit-hole/chasing-rabbit-h264hq.mov[/flash]

Now, here's a plan to actually get something done!

Quote from: "psy"
I dont really know why media attention has never been focused where it should be, however it amazes me how we even in this forum have some pretty powerful writers and speakers, that there is no reason we cannot start demanding some action. It is like we have for years backed off when the shit gets to hard, Well no more, it is time to make these people answer for this. Not only Elan, but other schools and bootcamps that have the nerve to disregard our youth as they see fit. You cannot tell me with the intelligence roaming these forums no one has any good ideas in them, or spirit to take on the uphill battles. I see you all fight each other, all with bitter tongues. Now lets put that to work damit. We are not talking about something of non importance we are talking about kids. Now if we watch the news we get all pissed off when bad things happen to little kids, well what is the problem here? Why are we not taking action to allow these children the same curtousy we all should of been extended but never recieved?

The mainstream media is supported by advertisers at the pleasure of the FCC--a Federal agency funded at the pleasure of Congress, who are funded at the pleasure of lobbyists in the employ of, among other giants, the Partnership for a Drug Free America. Among those partners are, and I shit you not!, "major pharmaceutical, tobacco and alcohol corporations including American Brands (Jim Beam whiskey), Philip Morris (Marlboro and Virginia Slims cigarettes, Miller beer), Anheuser Busch (Budweiser, Michelob, Busch beer), R.J. Reynolds (Camel, Salem, Winston cigarettes), as well as pharmaceutical firms Bristol Meyers-Squibb, Merck & Company and Proctor & Gamble;" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partnershi ... ee_America

Now here's where the rubber usually slips clean off the road. I first got into this program specific interest  when I discovered that the most unbelievably insane drug warriors who's names I was familiar with were all directly or closely affiliated with Drug Free America Foundation (formerly known as Straight, Inc.) When I tried to bring this linchpin/bombshell to the attention of the movers and shakers within drug policy reform I found that they wouldn't touch it with somebody else's keyboard cause they were well on their way to jumping on the Treatment not Incarceration bandwagon funded in large part by ASAMS
http://www.asam.org/Board_Directors.html

Yenz might find a familiar name or three on that list.

So I took my ball and went home, so to speak. Not that I ever lost interest in drug policy reform. I'm still convinced that scapegoating users of certain unpatentable substances is just as key to the subjugation of the American people as antisemitism was to the subjugation of the German people away back just the day before yesterday. I felt, however, that they had matters pretty well in hand and this niche issue desperately needed the attention of all who knew about it. Us program vets, in other words.

The model I like best is this one:
http://mapinc.org/

I'd like to call it The Cassandra Project. Basically, anyone who wants to can scan their favorite media for stories relating to the troubled parent industry, snag the article, contact info and editorial policy on letters to share w. like minded friends. We then write letters to editors, producers, etc., compare notes on those, celebrate successful printings, debate points and tactics and, eventually, show the other side of the story that the mainstream won't pick up till the blogosphere forces them to it.

For example, this article mentions a place called Abraxas
http://www.herald-mail.com/?cmd=display ... ormat=html

I know a graduate. He's very proud to have been an expediter for 21 months before he finally called their bluff and left, finding out that there never had been any valid court order keeping him there. He's a friend of mine so we just don't talk about Program, but I do get a little tid-bit out of him once in awhile. Looks like a state funded, mostly state mandated Elan spin-off to me. Maybe you guys could scare up some recent program vets and get the skinny? It's current information informed by your age and experience. We all gotta come together that way, ya know?

If this sounds interesting to you, please look over the mapinc.org site and see how it works. I'm no Matt Elrod, but I think that we have enough talent, tech and tenacity to come close enough for government work.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 02:01:58 PM »
Quote from: "Antigen"
For example, this article mentions a place called Abraxas
http://www.herald-mail.com/?cmd=display ... ormat=html

I know a graduate. He's very proud to have been an expediter for 21 months before he finally called their bluff and left, finding out that there never had been any valid court order keeping him there. He's a friend of mine so we just don't talk about Program, but I do get a little tid-bit out of him once in awhile. Looks like a state funded, mostly state mandated Elan spin-off to me. Maybe you guys could scare up some recent program vets and get the skinny? It's current information informed by your age and experience. We all gotta come together that way, ya know?
No, not an Elan spin-off. Abraxas evolved from Gateway (Chicago, one of the early addiction rehab TCs). Technically, they were a non-profit alternative to juvie (i.e., a TC for teens).

When some welfare reform legislation took effect in the mid-late 1990s, they got themselves bought up by a private prison contractor. Since then it's been more or less binnis as usual, just with the buffer of the private sector to back them up.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 02:22:33 PM »
I want to get my friend and any Elan vet together for an evening. He uses all the same terminology as you guys. So where did Gateway come from? I know this guy is a little older than I am so we're talking about his stay having been late 70's to very early `80's. Which came first?
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes