Author Topic: Long Hair in Texas Elementry School  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Long Hair in Texas Elementry School
« on: January 12, 2010, 03:31:17 PM »
Here we go, never mind were still trying to get lead paint and asbestos out of some these schools, still trying to get enough funding to properly educate our youth and trying to compensate our teachers for a days work. No we have to f@#$ w/ this child concerning his hair ( which by the way is neatly groomed ) and show him what a bunch of hypocritical old chastisers they can be.
Now this has to be some form of abuse, if other then freedom of expression (self will), or at the very least teaching him to be so narrow minded that it's almost criminal. (maybe hurtfull)........ :shamrock:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
Re: Long Hair in Texas Elementry School
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 03:33:35 PM »
The Texas educational system is completely fucked. They're trying to fuck over the textbooks to go after evolution. It's disgusting.
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 04:52:34 PM »
Quote from: "Danny Bennison"
Here we go, never mind were still trying to get lead paint and asbestos out of some these schools, still trying to get enough funding to properly educate our youth and trying to compensate our teachers for a days work. No we have to f@#$ w/ this child concerning his hair ( which by the way is neatly groomed ) and show him what a bunch of hypocritical old chastisers they can be.
Now this has to be some form of abuse, if other then freedom of expression (self will), or at the very least teaching him to be so narrow minded that it's almost criminal. (maybe hurtfull)........ :shamrock:

What is your argument for child abuse Danny?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 05:34:22 PM »
Well being a parent and having my child in a public school that my taxes are paying for, I would argue I have some say.
As is the case of the said parent in this case, she is not backing down and wants her son reinstituted back into the general population.
The abuse is to single out a particular student for his hair being to long, place him in a separate class all by himself, and tell him he is different.
I'll start there.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 05:36:23 PM »
As is the case of the said parent in this case...
Which case would that be?
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 05:54:06 PM »
Seems we have gone full circle.  They tried to pull that crap when I was in school and finally the school realized that there were bigger issues to worry about.  Why don’t they focus on and put more energy into things like bullying, conflict resolution and accepting people for who they are.  Our principle in high school didn’t want the job but was next in line so had to step up and he finally quit after a few years because of the bs all around him…. He got more done and was better liked than any other.

New Rule:

The principle of the school should be selected from those who least want the job (with a promise of support).  Those insecure bastards who seek office and positions of power just want to gain control over others and they feed off of intimidating people into their own narrow way of thinking with the sole motivation of making themselves feel better for a few minutes before relaxing back into their normal state of self loathing.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
As is the case of the said parent in this case...
Which case would that be?
Case being argued by his parents in front of the school board.

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 06:09:43 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
The principle of the school should be selected from those who least want the job (with a promise of support). Those insecure bastards who seek office and positions of power just want to gain control over others and they feed off of intimidating people into their own narrow way of thinking with the sole motivation of making themselves feel better for a few minutes before relaxing back into their normal state of self loathing.

Holy fucking shit, Whooter. I couldn't think of a better description of program owners if I tried!
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 06:22:50 PM »
Quote from: "Pile of Dead Kids"
Quote from: "Whooter"
The principle of the school should be selected from those who least want the job (with a promise of support). Those insecure bastards who seek office and positions of power just want to gain control over others and they feed off of intimidating people into their own narrow way of thinking with the sole motivation of making themselves feel better for a few minutes before relaxing back into their normal state of self loathing.

Holy fucking shit, Whooter. I couldn't think of a better description of program owners if I tried!
He does have a certain way with words.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 08:19:30 PM »
New Rule:

I don't think "The principle of the school should be selected from those who least want the job" would make the parents happy.  They would crucify school administrators during PTA meetings.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 12:14:17 PM »
Well if your reading the papers today, Texas will be fighting the oldest war known to man religion.
What kind do they want in their state and particularly in (my thread) schools.
Here we are again w/ the cusades, do we still have the vestiges of puritanicals moral codes around.
Yep, we do that what this thread is about and it is beginning to be about crusades too.
 Christain crusades......or atheist crusades......possibly agnostic....which I believe the definition
is "w/o knowledge", (very apropos). Texas definitly needs to have the spirit of "a~ga~pe to enter the state,
(choose your definition for "state").
 May the road rise to meet to you, my fiends........ :shamrock:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 12:36:16 PM »
Taylor Pugh - Boy Suspended For Long Hair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCVbuNg1s2M

A Blog for Busy Moms – MOMania
Should hair length be regulated by school dress codes?
7:00 am January 13, 2010, by Theresa Walsh Giarrusso

Four-year-old Taylor Pugh says he's growing his hair out to give to cancer patients. His school says it's not OK and suspended him. (AP)

A 4-year-old boy has been suspended from his pre-K class in Texas since late November because the school says his hair is too long and violates its dress code.

Taylor Pugh has been separated from his class and sent to the library to study with a teacher’s aide since Nov. 24.  Here’s background on the story.

The school board did offer a compromise on Monday where the boy could braid his hair and pin it up. But the parents rejected it because the mother says her son likes his long and the braiding would make his scalp bleed according to the Associated Press.

From The New York Times:

“The boy’s parents, Delton Pugh and Elizabeth Taylor, have argued that it is unfair to punish Taylor for his longish locks; it suggests, they say, that the district cares more about appearances than education.”

“ ‘I don’t think it’s right to hold a child down and force him to do something,’ Mr. Pugh, a tattoo artist, told The Associated Press. ‘It’s not hurting him or affecting his education.’ ”

“ ‘It’s a trade-off,’ said one board member, Gary Bingham, an insurance agent, in an interview. ‘Do the parents value his education more than they value a 4-year-old’s decision to make his own grooming choices?’ ”

The little guy says he misses his friends.

The AP story explains more on the dress code:

“According to the district dress code, boys’ hair must be kept out of the eyes and cannot extend below the bottom of earlobes or over the collar of a dress shirt. Fads in hairstyles ‘designed to attract attention to the individual or to disrupt the orderly conduct of the classroom or campus is not permitted,’ the policy states.”

I personally think the little guy is lot cuter with his hair down. (AP)

“The district is known for standing tough on its dress code. Last year, a seventh-grader was sent home for wearing black skinny pants. His parents chose to home-school him.”

“On its Web site, the district says its code is in place because ’students who dress and groom themselves neatly, and in an acceptable and appropriate manner, are more likely to become constructive members of the society in which we live.’ ”

“Taylor said her fight is not over. She and her husband are considering taking the district to court or appealing to the State Board of Education.”

” ‘I know that there are a whole set of steps we can take,’ she said.”

OK parents and teachers what do you think: Should a school dress code control the appearance of a child’s hair? How do Georgia public schools with dress codes handle hair?

What should the standards for hair length and appearance be based on? Should boy standards differ from girl standards?

Should the parents agree to the braids? Should they pull their child from the school? Should they fight on? What would you do?

What do you think of the school’s Web site statements?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 04:16:25 PM by Anonymous »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 12:48:03 PM »
Thank you,
You are much more computer savey then I am, but I'm getting there. Byte by Byte...... :shamrock:

Offline justonemore

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 04:23:49 PM »
Re: A 4 year old boy as a a pawn in a media circus. So, let me see if I get this straight. A 4 year old boy has decided, on his own, to grow and give his hair to "cancer victims" How unutterably noble of him, at just 4 years old.  I sincerely hope that ( but do not believe that) the parents aren't punking their own child, for the sake of their own ideaology. If this sort of parental behaviour is allowed to continue, what will you say to that kid when he's forty, unable to keep a job, or pursue career because he's so "inner-directed" and "follows a higher truth" that he's unable to take out the trash or feed himself? Will you say " Dude. Thanks for your contribution" ?  In order to be educated, first one must learn the rules, only then may one learn when, how, and, very importantly, WHY to break those rules. I consider this one to be child abuse. If you don't teach your children self-control and self- discipline, then you don't love your children. There's a reason it's called "Fire-Discipline"  There is a medical adage which proves acros the board, (test it and see for yourself) and that adage is: When you see hoofprints, look for horses. Ponder that. It means, in a nutshell, Look For The Obvious!  
J.O.M.
 ::unhappy::  Dang it! Thet Thur Lil' Guy's Evar whar!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 04:57:56 PM »
The child's parents will have a very strong case if the school does not apply the same standard to all students.  I would argue, provided the school is not applying the standard equally, the school is refusing Taylor's right to an education, including gender discrimination.  The parents have two options.  They can cut Taylor's hair or apply this hairstyle [ http://blogs.ajc.com/momania/files/2010 ... ght-up.jpg ].
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 09:31:51 PM by Anonymous »