Author Topic: Law And Order SVU - Program Episode  (Read 1154 times)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Law And Order SVU - Program Episode
« on: November 04, 2009, 09:01:19 PM »
Several weeks ago I was very harsh on SVU for it's portrayal of somebody who opposed the disease concept as a drunk.  This week SVU more than made up for it with an episode involving a crooked quack cult leader / program director who abused his patients, conned parents, and kept kids dependent on him and his group for profit.  It also featured ibogaine as a treatment for heroin addiction.  I'm beginning to suspect somebody who writes for that show either reads Fornits, has been in a program, or knows somebody who has been in one (writer is not updated on wikipedia as of now but should be soon).  I won't give away too much of what happens (spoilers) only to say it's very good, and anybody who has an interest in this issue will probably want to take a look.

Buy the episode (#7) on Itunes here (Season 11, Episode 7).  No links to torrents please (though I cannot prohibit others from doing so).  The makers of this episode deserve to be compensated for it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Law And Order SVU - Program Episode
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 09:21:26 PM »
An attorney I know once confessed to me that she is a complete Law & Order junkie. Doesn't matter if she's seen the particular episode three or four times before; if it's on, she's gotta watch it. The draw is that L&O bases their scripts on actual cases and events, altered slightly, of course, to fit programming constraints and the like.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 05:22:36 AM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
An attorney I know once confessed to me that she is a complete Law & Order junkie. Doesn't matter if she's seen the particular episode three or four times before; if it's on, she's gotta watch it. The draw is that L&O bases their scripts on actual cases and events, altered slightly, of course, to fit programming constraints and the like.
This one seemed like it had elements of Miller Newton / Straight Inc. in there, with open meetings and such.  The dogma of the program director was much more new age, though, and much less AA based (more towards the Human Potential end of the spectrum).  I'd discuss more but I'd probably give away spoilers.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 12:31:05 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
Several weeks ago I was very harsh on SVU for it's portrayal of somebody who opposed the disease concept as a drunk.  This week SVU more than made up for it with an episode involving a crooked quack cult leader / program director who abused his patients, conned parents, and kept kids dependent on him and his group for profit.  It also featured ibogaine as a treatment for heroin addiction.  I'm beginning to suspect somebody who writes for that show either reads Fornits, has been in a program, or knows somebody who has been in one (writer is not updated on wikipedia as of now but should be soon).  I won't give away too much of what happens (spoilers) only to say it's very good, and anybody who has an interest in this issue will probably want to take a look.

Buy the episode (#7) on Itunes here (Season 11, Episode 7).  No links to torrents please (though I cannot prohibit others from doing so).  The makers of this episode deserve to be compensated for it.

One of the Law and Order episodes I saw recently (probably in reruns) featured a story about a corrupt judge who was sending teens away to a program and accepting kickbacks from them.  I think it may have aired before the cases in Pennsylvania, or maybe it was inspired by them.