Author Topic: Mount Bachelor Academy Shut Down  (Read 36531 times)

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Re: Mount Bachelor Academy Shut Down
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2009, 03:32:28 PM »
"Lifesteps," psychodrama, etc. are basically fads within the mental health community.  Psychology, like other disciplines, is subject to fads that come and go (electroshock therapy, lobotomy, etc.).  

I would recommend reading a book entitled "Fashions in Science" by Dr. Irwin Sperber, my friend and mentor.  This book describes "opinion leaders" (i.e. Malcolm Gauld, et al) and how they shape the collective behavior of an entire discipline.

What the book thoroughly and eloquently covers is how unscientific, unproven methods gain mainstream attention and become "normalized" through the force of personality of opinion leaders.

Lifesteps and simililar approaches have no basis for continuing practice because clinical trials have proven them to be completely ineffective, but here they are, alive and well (maybe not so well anymore but alive nonetheless) forty or fifty years after they have been scientifically discredited.

Anyway, it's a great read and shows how this type of quackery can gain a foothold in mainstream consciousness.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2009, 03:53:42 PM »
An off-the-wall yet interesting aside: Like Jacob Moreno, founder of psychodrama, MBA's Alex Bitz is a Romanian expatriate:

Bitz, Alex - Alumni Services Director
    Educated in Film and theatre arts in Romania, Alex Bitz became a political refugee and came to the USA in 1984. He is a founding staff member of MBA. Since 1988 he has brought his creativity and passion to every aspect of the school (workshops, training, mentoring, arts, etc.). After more than 20 years of successfully working with children and families, Alex is as consumed with the work as he was his first day. Alex is a certified Life Coach and can often times be found traveling with students to Eastern Europe on the LaMancha Workshop.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2009, 07:59:18 PM »
During a discussion about another Aspen facility found to be abusing children through forced labor, sexual humiliation, etc, etc, etc, Whooter dropped this gem:

Quote from: "Whooter"
Programs have a need to continue to operate the same way. Regulation or laws will serve merely as an obstacle and they are something programs need to work around not work with.

Whooter has just admitted that programs that kill and abuse kids should continue to operate the same way and to avoid or break any laws oe regulations that get in the way of their abusive practices.  

This is an absolutely stunning look into the psychology of a program zealot.  He clearly states that the ends justify the means even if that means children die, get raped, get beaten, get sexually humiliated, get neglected, get deprived of shelter, get starved, or otherwise maimed or killed.

This is the twisted thinking of Whooter.
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2009, 08:37:43 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Whooter wrote:
Programs have a need to continue to operate the same way. Regulation or laws will serve merely as an obstacle and they are something programs need to work around not work with.

Duh, that is exactly what they are supposed to do and of course liars, cheats and sneaks "work around" the law and not with it...just ask Bernie Madoff and the guys he ruined financially who comitted suicide.  You have a lot of company in that sentiment what with CEOs flushing their companies (and workers) down the toilet as they pocket obscene bonuses and MIT quants dream up the next obscenely risky "investment" that will suck up billions for the taxpayers to cough up.  Regulation?  Oh dear, you mean someone who is actually goin to  "just say no" to me?  ME??  Oh the gall!

Offline FreeOfCC

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2009, 10:09:03 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
An off-the-wall yet interesting aside: Like Jacob Moreno, founder of psychodrama, MBA co-founder Alex Bitz is a Romanian expatriate:

Educated in Film and theatre arts in Romania, Alex Bitz became a political refugee and came to the USA in 1984. He is a founding staff member of MBA. Since 1988 he has brought his creativity and passion to every aspect of the school (workshops, training, mentoring, arts, etc.). After more than 20 years of successfully working with children and families, Alex is as consumed with the work as he was his first day. Alex is a certified Life Coach and can often times be found traveling with students to Eastern Europe on the LaMancha Workshop.

Whooter has a fondness for Romania as well. Curious.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Who Was J.L. Moreno and Why Do We Care?
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2009, 10:29:36 PM »
Well... then ya might like this little slice of insight into what made Moreno tick. Despite being written by Moreno fans, one can definitely see the origins of excess that psychodrama can sometimes foist upon its participants.

To lend context: it comes from the website of the American Group Psychotherapy Association.

-------------- • -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Who Was J.L. Moreno and Why Do We Care?
Mary Nicholas, LCSW, PhD, CGP , and Gene Eliasoph, LCSW, CGP

Few group therapists know about J.L. Moreno, psychodrama, or sociometry, and not many AGPA members know there is another national group psychotherapy society—the American Society of Group Psychotherapy and Psychodrama (ASGPP). I (Mary) trained in both psychodrama and psychodynamic group therapy. Frankly, I'm not sure how I would have survived as a group therapist without this training. I have found psychodrama to be indispensable in conducting large groups, short-term and one-session groups, organizational groups, and groups with revolving populations, such as inpatient and partial hospital or intensive outpatient programs.

How psychodrama and sociemetry work

Psychodrama and sociometry are group methods that rely on action and enactments, as well as verbalization to depict a particular situation. Each session starts with a warm-up, which will evoke the thoughts and feelings, as well as material about group members' current or past relationships (usually outside of the group). A typical psychodrama warm-up (which, by the way, can be easily adapted for non-psychodramatic group sessions) is "the empty chair." Everyone is asked to look at an empty chair and imagine someone with whom they have unfinished business sitting in the chair. Each person is asked to report on who is in his/her empty chair, and commonalities and subgroups are immediately noticed. For example, a majority of people might choose their children. One of this majority group will be the focus of the psychodrama since the energy around parents and children is clearly present.

In this example, a mother is chosen by the group to enact a scene that will show us her daughter's anger toward her. The mother is called the "protagonist" for this segment of the group meeting. (The choice of the protagonist always comes out of the sociometry of the group.) The director (therapist) will invite the protagonist to pick a group member to be the daughter, and the two of them will, with the director's guidance, set up a scene in which the daughter and the mother confront one another.

The characters will then be asked to reverse roles and the mother playing the daughter will show how the daughter walks into the room, speaks, gestures, etc so that the person in the daughter role will be able to play it more accurately. Then they reverse roles back and begin to play the scene. Other roles (father, sister, etc.) played by other group members might be introduced into the scene through role reversal with the protagonist.

An important role is the "double," who plays an alter ego of the protagonist, perhaps a part that that is not being overtly expressed—for instance, the frightened, angry, or sad part. As the drama unfolds, the protagonist and the group members, including those who are not playing any parts, are exposed to a number of different perspectives, feelings, and insights. Through role reversal, the protagonist gets to hear how she is coming across to her daughter, to experience the problematic situation from a number of other points of view, and to own the parts of her that she has projected out onto her daughter and others. Every psychodrama session ends with "sharing," in which all group members discuss the relevance of the session to their own lives and dilemmas.

My husband, Gene Eliasoph, MSW, CGP, was one of the first psychodrama practitioners and a protégé of psychodrama's founder, J.L. Moreno, MD. Moreno was a colorful, egotistical, and incredibly creative psychiatrist. A younger contemporary of Freud (whom he claimed to not like much) in Vienna in the 1920s, he conducted role-playing groups with prostitutes in the park (talk about bringing groups to the community!). In America he conducted open sessions for people off the street in New York City and founded a residential program in Beacon, New York, that welcomed patients and therapists wishing to learn about and be healed by psychodrama. He also developed a theory of human dynamics based on sociometry and spontaneity that was radical and thoroughly group-based.

Moreno was one of the founders of the AGPA but broke with the organization in the early 1950s because of his intense personal conflict with Samuel Slavson, another founder. Upon Moreno's departure, psychodynamic group therapy became central in AGPA, and the unfortunate split between action and psychodynamic group therapies persists to this day. (Ironically, Slavson's major contribution to group therapy was "activity group therapy!")

Gene shares his impressions of Moreno

During my schooling at the Columbia University School of Social Work, we were not permitted to use the term "group therapy" since it had to be referred to as "group work." While I continued nevertheless to do group therapy upon graduation at a hospital for drug addicts, it wasn't until 1954 that I heard J.L. Moreno tell a group he was leading: "We are all patients in this group, and we are therapists as well for one another. I will learn from you and you will learn from me, and who knows, we may be the first group to fly to the moon!" Having had the privilege of meeting Dr. Moreno at that time and studying with him, I was constantly struck by his defiance of the rules that we were taught, his grandiosity and yet, at the same time his humility. When he announced that "there can be no therapy other than the therapy of mankind as a whole," I was struck by his vision, much as I was some years later by that of Martin Luther King, Jr., when he delivered his "I have a dream" speech.

My struggles with Moreno from the 1950s until his death in 1979 revolved around some of his flagrant rejection of many of Freud's concepts, such as the unconscious and transference. His interminable battles with Samuel Slavson convinced me that Moreno's own transference and countertransference, along with his own unanalyzed unconscious motivation needed to be addressed. It was also apparent through his ingenuous ways that his consciousness and unconscious were often expressed without his awareness. Here was a renowned psychiatrist who, upon being driven home after a movie, insisted that he be returned to see the Mickey Mouse cartoons again! Here was an adult who often inappropriately insulted colleagues who disagreed with him. He was excessively competitive and all too often chauvinistic toward women. He did have, however, a European charm and grace and a deep concern for the plight of others. While powerful, almost mystical, at times as a clinician, he was unpredictable and idiosyncratic.

Moreno's contributions related to spontaneity, sociodrama, role-playing, and action-oriented therapy were vast. His work with sociometry clearly anticipated systems theories of psychotherapy. Shortly before he passed away, he shared with some of us his regret that he did not further develop "group therapy" since he was so involved in promoting and defending psychodrama. In retrospect, we recognized that, although he disavowed it, his work shows some attachment to Freud and the post-Freudian object relations, self psychology, and intersubjective schools. Currently, in fact, there is a psychoanalytic psychodrama division of the ASGPP.

In the 1980's when I was President of the ASGPP, I recommended merger of the ASGPP with AGPA. Unfortunately, while some parties on both sides were receptive, this did not take place. Perhaps the future leadership of AGPA and ASGPP will have the imagination and open-mindedness necessary to heal this ignoble split in our profession, so that all competent group therapists can learn from and grow with one another.

This article was published in the August/September 2002 issue of The Group Circle.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2009, 11:00:15 PM »
Quote from: "FreeOfCC"
So do I.  Face it.  It's unlikely any of us will ever know his identity.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline RMA Survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2009, 11:54:58 PM »
Here's the Oregon news account.

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/inde ... om_sc.html

Makes ya want to dance a jig, don't it?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2009, 09:48:56 AM »
LOL.  Lon and John won't be doing any jigs, pigs can't dance.  Everything CRC was afraid of in their annual report came true:  Other programs covered with shame, criminal investigations into deaths in Aspen programs, Aspen schools shutdown in disgrace, public awareness of what Aspen does causing consumers to shy away.

It can't happen soon enough.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2009, 08:35:26 PM »
Whooter wrote:

Duh, that is exactly what they are supposed to do and of course liars, cheats and sneaks "work around" the law and not with it...just ask Bernie Madoff and the guys he ruined financially who comitted suicide.  You have a lot of company in that sentiment what with CEOs flushing their companies (and workers) down the toilet as they pocket obscene bonuses and MIT quants dream up the next obscenely risky "investment" that will suck up billions for the taxpayers to cough up.  Regulation?  Oh dear, you mean someone who is actually goin to  "just say no" to me?  ME??  Oh the gall!

Nonsense, cafety or one of your other friendly web sites admitted openly here on fornits that they avoid licensing and work their way around the law so they don’t have to file as a charitable organization with the IRS.  Programs are not the only ones to do this.  If people can figure out a way to avoid regulation they will.  No one volunteers to be regulated or overseen by a branch of the government.  How many people do you know that call up DSS to schedule a visit to their house because they are unsure whether or not they are raising their children properly?  If not why don’t they call?  Very few people do......What would they be afraid of?

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2009, 08:56:09 PM »
Quote from: "FreeOfCC"
Quote from: "Ursus"
An off-the-wall yet interesting aside: Like Jacob Moreno, founder of psychodrama, MBA co-founder Alex Bitz is a Romanian expatriate:

FreeofCC, Its not a fondness as much as it is an interest.  I traveled extensively throughout these Soviet States and always found it interesting that you could give money to down and out people in the streets as long as they were not Romanian.  They are all called Gypsies and all the locals seems to hate them... .  This one time I landed in Kazakhstan and there was a woman with 3 children, no shoes and it was snowing and my driver was visibly upset that I gave her money and as my translator finally explained to me that you never give money to gypsies, you should spit on them... they should all just get a job or die.  As I traveled more I found this to be a consensus throughout western and Southeast Asia (at least, as far as my experience goes).  I found the ex-soviet cities are heated throughout by huge underground steam pipes so the down and out Romanians (gypsies) live underground during the winter months and I met a few as my translator was reluctant to translate and they are kind, gentle and beautiful people, mostly woman with kids and mouths to feed.  I could never figure out where the men were or what they did, I never met a gypsy guy.  Maybe Psy knows.  But what I do know is I wouldn’t want to be a Romanian woman in Southeast Asia.

Edit, just wanted to add this:  There was a guy who was passed out on the side walk outside a restaurant we were entering for lunch and the smell was so bad that I thought this guy was dead.  We ate lunch and when we came out an hour later this guy never moved and there were about 30 flies on his face and my wife insisted someone call the police.  So our translator reluctantly called someone.  The police showed up and beat the guy with batons until he moved.  His stomach was covered with coins from passerby’s.  So people would supply this guy with money but not a woman with children to feed.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 09:23:15 PM by Whooter »

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2009, 09:01:34 PM »
Back to the topic:
If all of the allegations stick I believe Aspen will need to try to figure out a legitimate way to prune that branch from their tree as quickly as possible, toss the executive leaders of Mount Bachelor under the bus and at the same time take inventory on their other programs to change or , as a minimum, insure that the same model  isn’t being marketed/used by other programs within their Group.  I am sure this is already underway.  Anyone who has been awake for a short time during the past economic crises knows that the CEOs take the initial hit with the expectation that things will automatically change (for the better) in their absence.  If people (customer, state officials)  don’t buy into this move then further cuts and restructuring are proposed until the banks/investors become uncomfortable enough to shut down Mount Bachelor and finance a new venture under another name (and guessing by the present direction of the investigation….. a new state also). I am hoping this moves along quickly.  I am interested to see if their entire model of “Life steps” will be laid out for the public to see and whether or not this will be tried in the open, by the public, prior to in the court of law.  If Aspen pisses off the state of Oregon or pressures them too much they may release (leak) the gory details to the press to rile up public opinion.  The local cops love to do this, especially in small towns where they have less to lose and fame to gain.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2009, 09:08:58 PM »
During a discussion about another Aspen facility found to be abusing children through forced labor, sexual humiliation, etc, etc, etc, Whooter dropped this gem:

Whooter has just admitted that programs that kill and abuse kids should continue to operate the same way and to avoid or break any laws oe regulations that get in the way of their abusive practices.  

This is an absolutely stunning look into the psychology of a program zealot.  He clearly states that the ends justify the means even if that means children die, get raped, get beaten, get sexually humiliated, get neglected, get deprived of shelter, get starved, or otherwise maimed or killed.

This is the twisted thinking of Whooter.

Yep, he said it and it was QFT.  He really does believe these facilities should operate extralegally and try to thwart or circumvent oversight.  But that environment is conducive to child abuse, as the Oregon DHS recently found out when they basically said Aspen's entire program is illegal because it is child abuse and every child at this Aspen facility was in fact abused.  

Whooter supports hiding systemic, systematic, purposeful abuse of children from authorities.  He has previously said he thinks it's fine for kids to have no way to call 911 or call a child abuse hotline.  His explanation was that the "hotline operator could talk dirty to the kids."  This is what you're dealing with here.  Someone who tries to appear normal outwardly, but exhibits wholly abnormal behavior and thought anyway, even though he's actively trying to control it to appear normal.

Aspen already tried to sell Oregon official a new LifeSteps called "Transitions."  Child psychologists refused to allow its implementation because...wait for it...it was EXACTLY THE SAME AS LIFESTEPS.

Every Aspen facility uses the same program model with LifeSteps.  Every Aspen facility should be immediately closed for child abuse.  Aspen's programs are considered by regulatory authorities to be child abuse.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline joethebadass

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2009, 10:09:59 PM »
Actually that's not exactly true. Not all aspen programs use marathon workshops like lifesteps. In fact, I'm wondering at this point which programs still use the model? I was under the impression that Mount Bachelor was one of the last programs to be using it, but I could be far off on this one. Does anyone have an answer to that question?
Joe - "So what if a kid gets sent here who doesn\'t need or deserve it?"

Staff - "Bans."

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2009, 10:29:51 PM »
Back to the topic:
If all of the allegations stick I believe Aspen will need to try to figure out a legitimate way to prune that branch from their tree as quickly as possible, toss the executive leaders of Mount Bachelor under the bus

Like I said.  In order to survive they're going to have to eat their own.

and at the same time take inventory on their other programs to change or , as a minimum, insure that the same model  isn’t being marketed/used by other programs within their Group.  I am sure this is already underway.

Oh i'm sure the marketing changes are underway as well.  What I'm also pretty sure of is that nothing of substance will change.  They simply do not know how to do without LifeSteps.  There is a reason why every CEDU based program uses these nearly identical workshops.  There is a reason why I remember the very same french maid costumes from Benchmark, the very same that were used at CEDU before that.  The similarities are far too many and far too distinct to be coincidental.  The people who use these workshops see noticeable results and truly believe that what they have is one of the only things that can help to turn kids lives around.  It's holy doctrine, Whooter, and that doesn't change.

So what's so wrong with these workshops if they produce results?  Well.  The results they produce, while extremely dramatic, are for the most part temporary.  There is also a lack of informed consent.  Kids going into these workshops have no idea what they are about to undergo and have no choice to refuse.  For every person who comes out with real or imagined benefit, there is another who is harmed.  Therapy or whatever you want to call it should never produce harm.  Furthermore, even out of those such as myself who perceived a benefit at the time, there are many who, years later in retrospect, found the experience disturbing and traumatic.  Time may not heal all wounds but it sure puts things in perspective.  These are not conclusions I came to after reaching Fornits, these are conclusions I came to before Fornits.  Those independent realizations are what precipitated my journey here and the construction of my website on Benchmark.  The fact that the same realizations are shared by so many others proves this is no fluke.  Many kids are harmed by these practices.

Anyone who has been awake for a short time during the past economic crises knows that the CEOs take the initial hit with the expectation that things will automatically change (for the better) in their absence.  If people (customer, state officials)  don’t buy into this move then further cuts and restructuring are proposed until the banks/investors become uncomfortable enough to shut down Mount Bachelor and finance a new venture under another name (and guessing by the present direction of the investigation….. a new state also). I am hoping this moves along quickly.  I am interested to see if their entire model of “Life steps” will be laid out for the public to see and whether or not this will be tried in the open, by the public, prior to in the court of law.

I, too, would like to see that happen, if not for anything else than to compare the scripts against my own experiences.  I think we both know, though, that Aspen is never going to do that.  It would be too incriminating. It would show for the world to see that while names have changed over time, the core practices remain almost identical to those at the inception of CEDU's propheets.

If Aspen pisses off the state of Oregon or pressures them too much they may release (leak) the gory details to the press to rile up public opinion.  The local cops love to do this, especially in small towns where they have less to lose and fame to gain.

I have no doubt that might happen.  If the investigators get tired of parents being paraded around for PR purposes, endlessly yammering on about how the program "saved my kid's life from deadinsaneinjail", they might very well be moved to show the public solid evidence proving the sorts of practices Aspen engages in.

@Joe:

Quote from: "joethebadass"
Actually that's not exactly true. Not all aspen programs use marathon workshops like lifesteps. In fact, I'm wondering at this point which programs still use the model? I was under the impression that Mount Bachelor was one of the last programs to be using it, but I could be far off on this one. Does anyone have an answer to that question?
It's not just MBA.  Almost all CEDU based programs use some derivation of Propheets.  These marathon workshops are widespread.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)