Author Topic: anybody know......  (Read 2734 times)

Offline SyN

• View Profile
anybody know......
« on: September 03, 2003, 11:34:00 PM »
Where the fuk is Joe burried??? i feel like taking a huge piss n dump on his grave. :lol:  Maybe do a victory dance on it since i beat his programs ass. Fukin pissant i know i wont be the first but i'll join the club. i bet you know nazi you are on the ball w/ elan knowledge. hook me up.
SyN
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
A word to the wise is infuriating.\"

Offline Nazi

• View Profile
    • http://forum.sparklit.com/forum.spark?forumID=3963
anybody know......
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2003, 11:42:00 PM »
I will try my best as to find out the grave site of Joe Ricci.Someone said awhile back that he was cremated.Give me some time, I'll see what I can find out..
lan is slowly being torn apart, thanks to me and all the other former Elanites out there that beleive in the destruction of tearing Elan apart. \"Keep up the great work\"

Offline Nazi

• View Profile
anybody know......
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2003, 11:48:00 PM »
Joe Ricci, controversial owner of Scarborough Downs, 54, succumbs

January 30, 2001
Joe Ricci, the controversial and combative owner of Scarborough Downs, died of lung cancer yesterday morning at the Maine Medical Center in Portland. He was 54.

Ricci first came to prominence as the operator of a rehabilitation program for troubled youth, the Elan School, founded in Poland, Maine in 1971. The school used unorthodox methods to treat both hardened criminals and the drug addicted sons and daughters of wealthy and prominent families.

Ricci failed in two tries at running for governor in Maine, the first coming in 1986 when he finished fifth in a five-way primary battle, and in 1998 he was again soundly defeated in another Democratic primary bid.

Ricci purchased Scarborough Downs in 1979, making it profitable by expanding simulcast and off-track wagering. It is not immediately known how Ricci?s death will affect the racing industry in the state, but press reports say Ricci's family have plans to operate the track. Scarborough's 2001 season is set to begin on March 3.

He was voted Man of the Year by the Maine Jaycees in 1988; was honored by the Maine Legislature for his work with adolescents, and int 1986 was named Man of the Year by the Northeast Harness News.

As a Standardbred owner he campaigned such performers as Spring Fest, 2, 2:03h ($30,293), an entrant in the 1982 Peter Haughton Memorial trot, and Cher?s Bret, p, 5, 1:592f ($64,652) in the 1982 Woodrow Wilson Pace. He was elected to the U.S. Trotting Association Board of Directors as a track director in 1989, serving two years on the Board.

In 1987, Ricci won a $27.5 lawsuit against Key Bank, which had denied him credit based upon an erroneous report in the media that Scarborough Downs and Ricci had ties to organized crime.

There were several incidents which kept Ricci?s name in the headlines over the years. In 1994 he commandeered a racetrack public address microphone to berate a racing official, later blaming the incident on having taken medication with a glass of wine. Two years later he settled a lawsuit brought by a former track employee he had been alleged to have threatened and verbally assaulted. In 1997 he sued the city of Portland, accusing officers of inflicting pain when they handcuffed him following an arrest. Ricci and the city reached an agreement in the matter.

The Portland Press Herald also quoted governor Angus King in its issue today as saying Ricci was, ?one of Maine?s most colorful characters, who will be remembered for his ability to needle government leaders and keep us on our toes.? In the 1998 primary, with typical bombast, Ricci had called King a ?pimp and a pig.?

Ricci once told thePress Herald some years ago that, ?everyone does stupid things from time to time.?

Ricci, who lived in Falmouth, Maine is survived by his wife, Sharon Terry; two sons, Jason Ricci of West Palm Beach, Fla., and Noah Ricci of Portland; his mother, Anna Kent of Port Chester, N.Y.; and three sisters, June Burger of Shelbyville, Ky., Michelle Garcia of Poughkeepsie, N.Y., and Lynn Spavelko of Jacksonville, Fla.

Funeral arrangements were not immediately reported.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lan is slowly being torn apart, thanks to me and all the other former Elanites out there that beleive in the destruction of tearing Elan apart. \"Keep up the great work\"

Offline Nazi

• View Profile
anybody know......
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2003, 12:09:00 AM »
Scarborough Downs owner dead at 54

By David Sharp, Associated Press, 01//01

PORTLAND, Maine -- Joseph Ricci, the millionaire race track owner who founded a drug treatment center and twice ran unsuccessfully for Maine governor, died Monday after a battle with cancer. He was 54.

Ricci was best known as owner of the Scarborough Downs harness-racing track, but he also dabbled in politics, where he was not afraid to knock the establishment. He was quick to go to court when he believed he was wronged and was rewarded with a $15 million judgment against one of the state's biggest banks after it cut off his line of credit.

A former political opponent, Portland lawyer Tom Connolly, described Ricci as a "bull in a china shop" in the political arena.

"Here is a character who's bigger than life, full of energy, full of ideas, and ready to go after anybody," said Connolly, who defeated Ricci in the Democratic primary for governor in 1998.

Last fall, Ricci was involved in an unsuccessful campaign to allow video gambling at race tracks. In addition to running for governor in 1998, he also came in fifth in a five-person primary race in 1986.

More recently, Ricci made national news when he became involved in an investigation into the 1975 death of a Connecticut teen-ager.

"Joe Ricci was certainly one of Maine's more colorful characters in recent years and he will be remembered for his ability to needle government leaders and keep us on our toes," Gov. Angus King said.

Ricci, who lived in Falmouth, died Monday morning at the Maine Medical Center in Portland, a hospital spokeswoman said. He was a former heavy smoker who had been battling lung cancer, friends said.

Ricci made national news when he became involved in an investigation into the 1975 death of Greenwich, Conn., teen-ager Martha Moxley.

Prosecutors believe Ricci overheard or knew about potentially incriminating statements made between 1978 and 1980 by Kennedy nephew Michael Skakel, who attended the Elan School for troubled teen-agers, which Ricci co-founded in Maine.

Ricci insisted that he never overheard or heard about any allegedly incriminating statements made by Skakel.

"The Kennedy family has gone from Camelot in America right to Dante's Inferno," he told The Associated Press last year. "One wonders when are they going to stop persecuting this family which has been fraught with tragedy."

Skakel's attorney, Michael Sherman, of Stamford, Conn., said Ricci's death would not affect the case.

"Joe Ricci said publicly and privately many times ... that Michael Skakel never confessed at Elan, nor did anyone ever report to him that Michael Skakel confessed at Elan," Sherman said.

"If anything, (Ricci) would have been a favorable witness to us, but it's not by any means an important piece of testimony because everyone else has said the same thing."

Ricci grew up in Port Chester, N.Y., where he lived with his grandparents after his parents abandoned him as an infant. He recalled his grandfather having a hard time finding work because he was Italian-American.

He became a heroin addict while recovering from a car accident at age 17. Then, after getting drug treatment, he helped people with substance abuse and other problems in Massachusetts and Connecticut.

In 1970, Ricci and a psychiatrist who had a camp in Maine started the Elan School. Nine years later, he brought Scarborough Downs.

After Ricci's bank cut off his line of credit in 1982 after hearing a false rumor he was involved with organized crime, he sued Key Bank and won $15 million, plus an undisclosed amount from a law firm.

Ricci was known as a man who spoke his mind, but the flamboyant businessman's mouth also got him into trouble sometimes.

He used Scarborough Downs' public address system for an obscenity-laced tirade against a state racing official in 1994. He later apologized, paid a $1,000 fine and settled a lawsuit over the outburst that he blamed in part on the fact he had drunk some wine while taking prescription painkillers.

Ricci also was no stranger to the courts, with Ricci filing suit over alleged police harassment and other matters while also becoming the subject of discrimination lawsuits over his treatment of at least two women who worked for him at the race track in Scarborough.

In 1999, Ricci turned to the courts again, suing the U.S. Postal Service for defamation for remarks a manager allegedly made to postal workers at a meeting about the search for a building site.

Ricci's brash style did not sit well with some Mainers, but Connolly said that Ricci was a complicated man who meant well.

"He took his role as a citizen seriously. That's why he ran as governor twice. No matter what you think of his personality, he was willing to follow up his ideas with action," Connolly said.

Bob Tardy, who got to know Ricci when he was chairman of the legislative committee that oversaw harness racing, said there was another side to Ricci that the public never saw.

Tardy described Ricci as a compassionate man who went out of his way to help people he came into contact with.

"He was modest about all of the good things he did over the years. If you made a list, you wouldn't have enough paper," said Tardy, who worked on Ricci's campaign for video gambling last fall.

Ricci was survived by his mother and two sons from a marriage that ended in divorce. Funeral arrangements were not immediately available.