Author Topic: What do ALCOR and Pennisula Village have in common?  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What do ALCOR and Pennisula Village have in common?
« on: October 11, 2009, 01:18:09 PM »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: What do ALCOR and Pennisula Village have in common?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 04:52:47 AM »
That's a totally weird connection... why would an ALCOR guy have anything to do w/ PV? or, the other way around? those industry morons can't think outside their little boxes, so how the hell does one get involved w/ a transhumanist organization like ALCOR?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 10:17:31 AM »
Quote from: "Yael (Eshet Khever ha'Kinii)"
...how the hell does one get involved w/ a transhumanist organization like ALCOR?
Where do you get the idea that ALCOR is a "transhumanist" organization? Please explain.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 12:43:17 PM »
ALCOR are promoting cryonic preservation of body, head, and brain matter for future re-animation/ressurection. That's in line w/ current transhumanist thought about creating a post-human being using various new/emerging technologies. It can be said that such a resurrected person will be considred a post-human. Movement-wise, ALCOR has connection to the World Transhumanist Association (they often advertise in H+), and if I'm not mistake, Mr. Bostrom himself has given talks in several of their confreneces.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 12:51:02 PM »
The judges notes on Lemler in Seals v. England/Corsair Upholstery Mfg., 984 S.W.2d 912 (Tenn. 1999).
Dr. Lemler is a board certified psychiatrist who has no inpatient
psychiatric practice. He formerly practiced in Alabama, but left that
state under something of a cloud when his Group was charged with
bilking a federal program. He settled the government’s claim against
him and surfaced at Peninsula Hospital in Blount County, Tennessee.
He left the practice there in June 1995 and went into business for
himself by sending 140 marketing letters to lawyers announcing that
his services as an expert psychiatrist were available.
Plaintiff’s counsel soon hired him, and uses his services to an unusual
extent. Dr. Lemler sees and psychiatrically evaluates between 48 and
72 claimants represented by Plaintiff’s counsel per year. He charges
substantial fees for his services as a forensic psychiatrist. He does not
practice psychiatry, and maintains no office, other than as we deduce,
a small office in Harrogate where he ostensibly practices family
medicine. His evaluations are generally conducted in lawyers’
offices.

and from the TN Board of Medical Examiners

Lemler, Jerry, 9048: 3/20/01 – Unprofessional
conduct; Gross malpractice or a pattern of continued or
repeated malpractice, ignorance, negligence or
incompetence; Violation of statutes and rules governing
the prescribing of controlled substances. Agreed Order
– Probation for two years.

Too bad ALCOR called. Lemler and the Village are a perfect fit.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 12:53:47 PM »
(post came out overly formal-- didn't mean for that :/ that's what I get for using English for nothing else but papers and essays all these years...)

But, yeah, this just confirms my opinion of ALCOR as crooks-- when someone has anything real to offer in the field of cryonics and/or enhancement, let me know.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 01:29:08 PM »
ALCOR are promoting cryonic preservation of body, head, and brain matter for future re-animation/ressurection. That's in line w/ current transhumanist thought about creating a post-human being using various new/emerging technologies. It can be said that such a resurrected person will be considred a post-human. Movement-wise, ALCOR has connection to the World Transhumanist Association (they often advertise in H+), and if I'm not mistake, Mr. Bostrom himself has given talks in several of their confreneces.
(post came out overly formal-- didn't mean for that :/ that's what I get for using English for nothing else but papers and essays all these years...)

But, yeah, this just confirms my opinion of ALCOR as crooks-- when someone has anything real to offer in the field of cryonics and/or enhancement, let me know.
ALCOR reminds me a bit of Clonaid and the Raëlian Cult, albeit with more biotech tools and a less focused leadership...  :D

(I'm sure I've insulted someone by saying that!)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 01:48:37 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
ALCOR reminds me a bit of Clonaid and the Raëlian Cult, albeit with more biotech tools and a less focused leadership...  :D

Yup, sounds like it.
Besides, even if cryonics-based ressurection will be possible at some point (which I strongly doubt, for the same reasons I doubt the mind-uploading Singularitarians), I wouldn't trust them with it.

Yeah, well, that's not necessarily a bad thing, there is way too much political correctness and too little reality in today's society.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 05:18:51 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
Yup, sounds like it.
Besides, even if cryonics-based ressurection will be possible at some point (which I strongly doubt, for the same reasons I doubt the mind-uploading Singularitarians), I wouldn't trust them with it.
Yeah, well, that's not necessarily a bad thing, there is way too much political correctness and too little reality in today's society.
yes an the politically correct Antony Spezia and Covenant Health would hate to have even a remote association with Lem and ALCOR

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 06:01:13 PM »
Quote from: "Spraynerd"
The judges notes on Lemler in Seals v. England/Corsair Upholstery Mfg., 984 S.W.2d 912 (Tenn. 1999).

Dr. Lemler is a board certified psychiatrist who has no inpatient psychiatric practice. He formerly practiced in Alabama, but left that state under something of a cloud when his Group was charged with bilking a federal program. He settled the government's claim against him and surfaced at Peninsula Hospital in Blount County, Tennessee. He left the practice there in June 1995 and went into business for himself by sending 140 marketing letters to lawyers announcing that his services as an expert psychiatrist were available. Plaintiff's counsel soon hired him, and uses his services to an unusual extent. Dr. Lemler sees and psychiatrically evaluates between 48 and 72 claimants represented by Plaintiff's counsel per year. He charges substantial fees for his services as a forensic psychiatrist. He does not practice psychiatry, and maintains no office, other than as we deduce, a small office in Harrogate where he ostensibly practices family medicine. His evaluations are generally conducted in lawyers' offices.
Apparently Dr. Jerry Burl Lemler also used to be chief of medical staff at Lakeshore Mental Health Institute in Knoxville, Tennessee, at least for a while...

In a case heard in Tennessee in the early 1990's, namely State of Tennessee v. James Perry Hyde, Lemler managed to come up with the all-encompassing diagnosis of "post-traumatic disorder" for 11-year old SAH, who had been raped with an enema device filled with cough syrup, a baton-like pen, and possibly also a gun by her father on a number of occasions in August and/or September of 1992.

From the Factual Background section of James Perry Hyde's unsuccessful appeal, heard in 1994 and filed in 1996:

...Finally, Dr. Lynn testified that SAH had made false accusations of sexual assault against Dr. Lynn and various staff members at Lakeshore Mental Health Institute. Dr. Jerry Burl Lemler, a psychiatrist and chief of medical staff at Lakeshore Mental Health Institute, testified that SAH was suffering "post-traumatic disorder."[/list]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 01:28:37 PM »
    I'm not sure that Peninsula Village and Peninsula Hospital are the same entity, or share the same MDs.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 01:41:16 PM »
    Quote from: "Puzzled 1"
    I'm not sure that Peninsula Village and Peninsula Hospital are the same entity, or share the same MDs.
    It is my (admittedly inadequate) understanding that while Peninsula Village and Peninsula Hospital are not the same entity, they:

• are both under the umbrella of Covenant Health,
    • share some of the same doctors, and
    • share some of the same patients.

The above should definitely be confirmed by someone more knowledgeable about PV...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Jerry Lemler; 5th ALCOR Conference on ELE (2002)
    « Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 10:18:35 AM »
    A Speaker Biography for Jerry Lemler for the Fifth Alcor Conference on Extreme Life Extension (held in 2002):

-------------- • -------------- • -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Jerry Lemler, MD is a Board Certified psychiatrist who came to Alcor from Tennessee in March of 2001 to become the organization's first full-time Medical Director. In September of the same year, Dr. Lemler was elected President and CEO of Alcor by the Board of Directors. Dr. Lemler is a native of New Rochelle, NY, who earned an undergraduate degree from the University of Tennessee in Knoxville and a medical degree from the University of Tennessee College of Medicine in Memphis. Following his formal psychiatric residency training in Norristown, Pennsylvania, Dr. Lemler was in private psychiatric practice in Mobile, Alabama, after which he served four years as the Chief of Staff of Lakeshore Mental Health Institute in Knoxville, TN. In 1994 Dr. Lemler received The National Exemplary Psychiatrist Award from The National Alliance for the Mentally Ill.