Author Topic: Will Che comment on this truthfully?  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Will Che comment on this truthfully?
« on: September 30, 2009, 03:46:24 AM »
I was a counselor at the long term boys program during the time of the events outlined above and can attest to the truthfulness of most of them. Although not all of the counselors and staff were excessive or abusive, there were many who were or outwardly appeared to be, and speaking out against their actions was often met with stonewalling, disdain, or were completely ignored by supervisors and administrators. The training was woefully sub par even for those of us who went into it with Psychological degrees, and field experience. The focus always seemed to be on the program and with maintaining the integrity of the program and less with the treatment of the residents in the programs care. Often times counselors worked for days on end, alone, with their groups which (outside of Lisicha), consisted of 12-16 boys aged 14-19 years of age (I actually had a resident who turned 20 at the end of his stay). This occurred even though mental health guidelines state that the number of staff to residents is not to exceed a 1 to 8 ratio. As a direct result of this infraction counselors often found themselves trying to maintain the welfare and functionality of their groups under great duress. Fatigue, exhaustion, and an unhealthy amount of stress was an everyday part of a counselors life as we put in our 120 hrs of work a week on average while trying to maintain discipline and safety, as well as aid our charges in learning how to cope with their issues and interact with others in society, it's not a wonder many of us came there sober and left as alcoholics. Often we would work for days on end without showers in the heat and the cold, occasionally getting five to ten minute breaks during meal times when there were three or more other counselors present with their groups in the dining hall. Under these conditions with constant pressure to maintain control of our groups, it is no wonder that counselors would lose it and sometimes respond to situations in ways that they may not have chosen to had they been rested and in full control of their mental faculties. Although every person should be accountable for their actions, it is my firm belief (knowing the writer of this article, and knowing how much he loved his group) that the actions he has mentioned, committed on his part, were not committed out of or in malice or with malicious intent , therefore the vast majority of any fault or blame resides squarely on the shoulders of the program we worked for, and not on ours. Having said all of that, do not beat yourself up too much about your time there. Your group loved you and trusted you, I saw it every time you returned to work and they would mob you telling you everything that went on while you were away.

http://http://www.nunya.com/index.cfm/2008/12/1/My-Time-at-Three-Springs-Paint-Rock-Valley-Boys

What are your thoughts on this post?

Do you know the person who made this comment?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Will Che comment on this truthfully?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 06:51:19 AM »
I was with him right up to the point where he  blamed everything on the program. At some point in the entire scenario each and every single person involved from student, staff, and onto parents need to face their own responsibilities for what went down in a program. Students face the shame of having to live with some of the abuse they heaped on each other, staff has their own set of guilt issues, and likewise so do parents. I don't blame my actions on the program, but I do blame the program for creating an environment where actions like mine were ignored and at times even encouraged.

Do I know him?

Not sure... Well over 25 counselors came and went during my 22 months there.

I'd like to know him and if it is who I think it is he's a good lad for speaking up.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Will Che comment on this truthfully?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 01:30:07 PM »
I was a counselor at the long term boys program during the time of the events outlined above and can attest to the truthfulness of most of them. Although not all of the counselors and staff were excessive or abusive, there were many who were or outwardly appeared to be, and speaking out against their actions was often met with stonewalling, disdain, or were completely ignored by supervisors and administrators. The training was woefully sub par even for those of us who went into it with Psychological degrees, and field experience. The focus always seemed to be on the program and with maintaining the integrity of the program and less with the treatment of the residents in the programs care. Often times counselors worked for days on end, alone, with their groups which (outside of Lisicha), consisted of 12-16 boys aged 14-19 years of age (I actually had a resident who turned 20 at the end of his stay). This occurred even though mental health guidelines state that the number of staff to residents is not to exceed a 1 to 8 ratio. As a direct result of this infraction counselors often found themselves trying to maintain the welfare and functionality of their groups under great duress. Fatigue, exhaustion, and an unhealthy amount of stress was an everyday part of a counselors life as we put in our 120 hrs of work a week on average while trying to maintain discipline and safety, as well as aid our charges in learning how to cope with their issues and interact with others in society, it's not a wonder many of us came there sober and left as alcoholics. Often we would work for days on end without showers in the heat and the cold, occasionally getting five to ten minute breaks during meal times when there were three or more other counselors present with their groups in the dining hall. Under these conditions with constant pressure to maintain control of our groups, it is no wonder that counselors would lose it and sometimes respond to situations in ways that they may not have chosen to had they been rested and in full control of their mental faculties. Although every person should be accountable for their actions, it is my firm belief (knowing the writer of this article, and knowing how much he loved his group) that the actions he has mentioned, committed on his part, were not committed out of or in malice or with malicious intent , therefore the vast majority of any fault or blame resides squarely on the shoulders of the program we worked for, and not on ours. Having said all of that, do not beat yourself up too much about your time there. Your group loved you and trusted you, I saw it every time you returned to work and they would mob you telling you everything that went on while you were away.

I was a counselor at the long term boys program during the time of the events outlined above and can attest to the truthfulness of most of them. Although not all of the counselors and staff were excessive or abusive, there were many who were or outwardly appeared to be, and speaking out against their actions was often met with stonewalling, disdain, or were completely ignored by supervisors and administrators.

The above, from my work experience at Eckerd Youth Alternatives, is accurate.  Mike Strauss was the Regional Director for EYA camps in RI, VT and NH.  Counselors would call him to lodge a verbal complaint against the Program Director or Camp Director.  The culture at Camp E-Hun-Tee did not improve regardless of the verbal complaints.

The training was woefully sub par even for those of us who went into it with Psychological degrees, and field experience. The focus always seemed to be on the program and with maintaining the integrity of the program and less with the treatment of the residents in the programs care.

I will not focus on the training at Cats upon arrival.  There were many restraints at Camp E-Hun-Tee.  Many of them could have been prevented by proactive measures.  One problem was the lack of training for proactive measures to prevent physical restraints.  The focus on maintaining the integrity/image of the program is correct.  Camp E-Hun-Tee, a majority of the times, looked like a bomb blew up a Taliban stronghold.  The Regional Director would announce to the management he would be visiting Camp E-Hun-Tee.  The whole camp was cleaned to give Mike a good impression.  After he left, Camp E-Hun-Tee looked like hell.  

Often times counselors worked for days on end, alone, with their groups which (outside of Lisicha), consisted of 12-16 boys aged 14-19 years of age (I actually had a resident who turned 20 at the end of his stay).

Counselors working alone in groups is commonplace.  New female counselors worked in group alone at Camp E-Hun-Tee.  I would receive calls over the radio on a frequent basis regarding restraints.  

Fatigue, exhaustion, and an unhealthy amount of stress was an everyday part of a counselors life as we put in our 120 hrs of work a week on average while trying to maintain discipline and safety, as well as aid our charges in learning how to cope with their issues and interact with others in society, it's not a wonder many of us came there sober and left as alcoholics.

Counselors at Camp E-Hun-Tee were fatigued, exhausted and stressed out a majority of the time.  This was due in part to lack of help/consistency from upper management and a high level of restraints.  This theme seems to be commonplace in wilderness camps.