Author Topic: are you afraid to die?  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
are you afraid to die?
« on: September 16, 2009, 02:30:20 AM »
I'm not. When I was little my mom told me she saw Jesus one night when she drank too much and was dying, but then told Jesus she had to come back to raise us. She said don't ever be scared of dying because its the most wonderful feeling she ever felt, and since I was little I believed her and never developed a fear of death. In a way I almost welcome it. Not in a I'm depressed I want to die sort of way. More like I'm really excited to be a part of the light and experience the wonderfulness she told me about.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: are you afraid to die?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 02:47:21 AM »
Yeah, she might be right, but then again she might be wrong you're throwing away what could turn out to be a really good time.  Do you really want to take that chance?  Don't get me wrong.  It's your life and if you want to...

:suicide:

Plus.  If those Jesus folks are right, suicide is a sin that'll earn you an eternity in hell.  Either way you're fucked.  Best to just live life.  Stuff gets better as time goes by anyway.  Ride it out and you'll be fine.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 02:54:24 AM »
I'm not considering killing myself or anything like that. I'm just saying I'm excitedly looking forward to death when it does happen, hopefully when I am at a ripe age. I think it helps me enjoy my life even more not having a fear about what happens after death. When I got older I researched more about this and her story is just like thousands of other people's stories and even I had an experience I thought might have been a dream but now to believe to be some form of spiritual encounter. It comforts me to know that God is real and that "WE" continue to exist as a spiritual beings after physical death. I take comfort in this and feel very pleased to be alive. But I also know that death, is really our rebirth into our real spiritual home. It's exciting in the same way a child looks forward to becoming an adult. You can enjoy being a child while looking forward to maturing.

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 07:09:38 PM »
An interesting and seemingly worthwhile question...

My friend says Death smiles at everyone, why not smile back ??

I wasn't afraid of death until I had enough experience to really begin to value my life.

Life is Death and Death is Life, says I...

...So livin and dyin are one thing.

When you have children your spirit sees itself, and recognizes genetic conditions, etc. and you grow in understanding.

There is much insight to be gained through parenthood.

Not that I'm encouraging more breeding.  Life is too heavy, anyway...eventually we're crushed under it.

I understand what you're sayin, bein comfortable with reality makes everything nice.  Of course not all that glitters is gold...and you have to ask yourself, have I left behind the subject-object scheme which preys on the ego ??    Well I guess you don't really have to ask yourself that, but if you were sincere and earnest about life and death it seems like you would.

When I think of dyin I think of darkness not light.  physical darkness. nothingness...that motivates me to live now, while I can.  

Death will separate us from all the things we know and love and the thought of that is not comforting.  To know oneself is to know the conditions which are attached to life.  

Death is my advisor.

I'm a pretty fucked up hypocrite, which is an argument I don't recognize... ;D

:karma:  :cheers:   :poison:  :peace:
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 07:51:37 PM »
Take what you will from this but I think this topic is a good example of how beliefs produce a certain behavioral outcome. I read about a study that was done that seems relevant, take what you will from it.

Basically it goes:

A number of rats are placed in water to drown. After awhile once the rats are convinced there is no escape they will submit and drown without fully exerting themselves. HOWEVER the study progresses so that one group of rats is saved just as they submit to death. The rats are revived and put through the same experiment. This time the rats swim until the are completely exhausted before dying and don't submit to death.

I think this is comparable to believing in god. The threat of actually disappearing doesn't exist anymore, so there is less fear of death. And that is a pretty comforting belief to just about anybody I think.

However, if I compare myself to the rats in their final moments I would be saying:
As the unrescued rat- "Well this is it . I'm a goner. There were good times and bad, but now its my time to go. Goodbye world."
As the rescued rat- "Where is that fucking hand! That hand was sposed to pick me up! fuck you you bastard!-barble-glub-glub *sinks*"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 11:06:34 PM »
... and, how do you convince someone to sacrifice themselves for a cause? You convince them they don't really die. Ever hear about those suicide bombers who get 40 virgins once they blow themselves up? Doubt they'd do that if they thought it would really be their last moment.

Yep, im afraid to die, but i dont think about it all the time. I think life is scarier anyways.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 11:16:02 PM »
I'm not afraid of dying as much as I am of dying badly. For the most part, I think of death as a fact of "life". But there are a lot of ways to go, and some of them are really really lousy.

drowning, acetameniphen overdose, emphysema, fire ants, being dragged by a truck, swine flu, teh AIDS, being tortured in a POW camp... all of those are pretty sucky.

I think that there would be some instances where I would actually welcome death, and prefer it to the alternative... such as the planet being hit by something otherworldly, like an asteroid or comet of civilization-destroying capacity.. a gamma ray burst.. falling into a black hole... the apocalypse.. those would be pretty sweet ways to die, even if it's painful. My wife and I both agree that if anything like that is expected to happen, we're driving out to ground zero with some lawn chairs and all of the drugs and booze we can find, and just get vaporized when the thing hits.

Actually, she and I are both kind of hoping that some disaster like that happens in our lifetime. What a show. And definitely not something I would want to survive.

A number of rats are placed in water to drown. After awhile once the rats are convinced there is no escape they will submit and drown without fully exerting themselves. HOWEVER the study progresses so that one group of rats is saved just as they submit to death. The rats are revived and put through the same experiment. This time the rats swim until the are completely exhausted before dying and don't submit to death.

There is a reason why sailors of old didn't  know how to swim. They didn't want it to be drawn out, especially since that would involve being dehydrated, sunburned, picked off by sharks and accosted by albatross.

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 01:50:55 PM »
Fuck no, I aint skeered.Ive seen a bunch o' corpses over the years, and I just want it to be quick,and hopfully unexpected.None of that lingering,nursing home bullshit for me .Gimme a big massive coronary or a big bullet in the head,get it fucking over with,just not today.
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 03:53:44 AM »
Drowning is a really nice way to go, I heard.  It’s the struggle people put up before they take in their first inhale of water that really sucks.  After that the lungs just breath in and out like they always did only its water instead of air.  Water doesn’t have enough oxygen in it so you eventually just pass out.  But it is very euphoric and calming to breath the water in and out of your lungs.  Your eyes are open you float around and then it goes dark.

Much better than being impaled on a fence post for 3 days where no one can hear you screaming as the post moves thru your body at about an inch an hour.  That has to be one of the worst ways to go.  But all in all I am not afraid of death at all.

But like Semus said, just not today.

Offline Wh??ter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 01:54:45 PM »
My son died from an IV drug overdose.  It is suppose to be a very nice way to go.  

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 05:12:18 PM »
The above post was not posted today.

This was yet another old thread "bumped by anonymous":

viewtopic.php?f=1&p=408398#p408398