Author Topic: My son at Aspen Ranch  (Read 69384 times)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: My son at Aspen Ranch
« Reply #195 on: September 15, 2009, 10:57:50 AM »
Anyone can find an article related to just about any subject.  You mentioned ....there’s plethora of evidence that Aspen Ranch hurts and kills victims, yet you post nothing.  Where are the lawsuits against Aspen Ranch?

Here I can find a plethora of articles regarding brainwashing, torture and kidnapping at McDonalds.  But you cant find any cases of that occurring at Aspen Ranch, can you?  Has there ever been a single successful case against Aspen Ranch?  Forget your plethora try to find one where Aspen Ranch was found guilty of this stuff.  You site articles from your own support sites.  Try to site a court case involving Aspen Ranch.

McDonalds and brainwashing
Supporting Link A

McDonalds and torture
Supporting Link B

McDonalds and kidnapping
Supporting Link C

I haven’t been able to find where Aspen Ranch has been found guilty of any of these things.  Help me out here.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline NIGEL

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 15, 2009, 12:53:01 PM »
There are obviously a lot of people on this forum that believe The Aspen Ranch (and programs like them) are terrible for kids.  I am still continuing to evaluate the whole thing.  My question to all of you is:  What should I have done instead?  To let you know what we did do: we had our son see pyschologists (he liked the one he was seeing, but not taking his advice).  We went to a psychiatrist.  My son agreed that he was depressed and wanted to try medication.  He stopped taking them in January and refused to see another psychiatrist.  We had teachers that my son liked try to talk to him, to no avail.  We had other family members step in----he listened to them and was polite, but he never took their advice.  He had basically failed out of school (he claims he saw no value in it), was running away and relying on pot and lsd and alcohol to get him through the day (this is what my son has said).  He claimed he was going to kill himself.  As I said before, he was not going to accept my advice or help (he claims I have no idea how he feels and that my advice sucks----our talks have been much more open the last couple of months, but he is still hurting big time and he hates the ranch).  Sending him to a relative is probably not realistic as I don't think any of my family is ready to take this on.  What would you have done if this was your son.  I am open to advice, as he will eventually be coming home and I have to have a game plan that my son will go along with.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 15, 2009, 01:06:17 PM »
Well, first thing I noticed, Nigel, is that you never tried local outpatient or inpatient or drug treatment.  You missed several steps there.  Plus most parents like to say their kid would have killed himself, but then you send him to a place where he's completely unmonitored for long periods of time instead of an inpatient psychiatric facility.  If he is a danger to himself as you say, you have paved the way for his suicide.

Second, don't listen to the poster demanding proof of a negative ('prove aspen DOESN'T WORK").  This is a basic logical fallacy, as negative can never be proven, only positives.  Demand that he show you a peer reviewed clinical study that Aspen IS effective.  There is none and he knows that.  this is why he tried to shift the focus and wiggle out of the question.  Nigel, can you at least admit you see shameless marketing and disinformation from an Aspen agent here?  I mean the guy has absolutely no facts to back up his claim.  If Aspen can't even provide a study to show that they're effective, it means they are NOT effective.  If they could prove their program worked (like every legitimate program or any drug release MUST do) do you think any obstacle would stop them from plastering this proof all over the 'net?

Nigel, you're getting snookered by sophisticated hucksters here and you are going hook, line and sinker.  Nigel, if you asked your kid's therapist to provide proof of efficacy of the treatment he's giving your son and he replied "YOU prove to ME that it's INEFFECTIVE!" and follows it up with "MCDonalds kidnaps and tortures!" can you honestly tell me that you wouldn't take your kid and run as fast as your feet can carry you?

Think about it.  And think about the evasiveness of the Aspen agent (known here as TheWho, but is actually John Reuben, an Aspen feeder).  What does that examination tell you?
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #198 on: September 15, 2009, 01:41:15 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Well, first thing I noticed, Nigel, is that you never tried local outpatient or inpatient or drug treatment.

You're assuming there that drug use was his problem.  Doesn't sound like it to me.  Sounds like he was in pain and using those substances to cope.  Self medicating if you wish to label it as that.  Such a course of action you're suggesting above would have treated a symptom as a disease, never getting to whatever was causing him the pain.  Furthermore, forced treatment never works.  It never has and it never will.

@Nigel:  You're asking what you could do?  Well.  It depends.  Do you have any clue why he was so depressed?  If you don't know that and he was unwilling to tell you, maybe he doesn't trust you, is ashamed, or thinks that in some way you'll reject you if he tells you what he's upset about.  That's a big problem.  Whatever the cause there is something only you or he might have some insight into.  Finding somebody he trusts is the key.  How was his social life?  Did he have friends?  Was he rejected at school?  You *must* have some insight into why he was so miserable.

If the depression was biochemical there's no question he should be medicated.  Did he give a reason why he didn't want to be on the medication?  Side effects?  Perhaps he could have been convinced to try another form of medication.  Perhaps he could help you select a psychologist he could trust.  There are plenty out there and I'm sure they could give lots more advice than myself on at-home solutions.  There are several psychologists/psychiatrists at CAFETY who could probably offer advice in that regard:
http://www.cafety.org/qaa-with-dr-charles-huffine <- he has some advice on that page
http://www.cafety.org/board-of-advisors

(full disclosure: I am not a member of CAFETY and do not agree with all their policies)

Please don't hesitate to email me for more contacts.

Honestly, I don't know what the solution is for you.  That's not the point some people are trying to make here.  The point is that we do know what does not work, and programs by and large not only do not work but can make things worse.  If these programs were effective, don't you think there would have been studies done to prove this to be true?
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline blombrowski

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 15, 2009, 06:52:27 PM »
nigel,  i'm going to frame this advice based on the very real question "what do you do when your son comes home".  frankly, and unfortunately this responsibility falls to you, since aspen is only going to sell you what they know, aftercare in the community isn't their specialty.  there are community-based services available depending on the community that you live in.  you also might consider having your son evaluated for any learning disabilities if you haven't done so already.  if you want to pm either me or psy, with at least some basic information about your whereabouts, we can at least point you in the right direction for the community-based supports that will successfully keep your son at home.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 15, 2009, 07:40:46 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
 You're assuming there that drug use was his problem. Doesn't sound like it to me. Sounds like he was in pain and using those substances to cope. Self medicating if you wish to label it as that. Such a course of action you're suggesting above would have treated a symptom as a disease, never getting to whatever was causing him the pain. Furthermore, forced treatment never works. It never has and it never will.

No, I'm not missing any of that.  I agree with everythiing you said.  When I respond to parents in that way, it's more of an exercise in reasoning than advice.  I'd like Nigel to think about what he has said about his son (depressed, addicted to drugs, going to kill himself, etc) and then think about how he responded to what he believes is the reality of the situation.  

If all he said is indeed true, then he skipped many proven treatment modalities that are valid, sound, clinically studied modalities that would likely have helped his son.  My hope in explaining it in this fashion is to allow Nigel to make the connection that those things should have been done before he ever even entertained non-evidence based, coerced, harmful pseudo-treatment like Aspen.

Nigel, it's not too late to go back and do it right.  Get your kid back into your community where he has a support system and get him some evidence-based treatment.  It's the right thing to do for your son and your family.  

Think about your knee-jerk reaction as well.  You sent your kid into a provably abusive situation and only stopped to ask questions later.  Kinda upside-down and backwards thinking, don't you agree?

I waited all day for TheWho to put his money where his mouth is and post a clinical study of Aspen's efficacy, but it looks like he punked out when asked the important question.  Nigel, take a lesson from this.  Asking for evidence makes the salespeople go away post haste...
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 15, 2009, 09:00:06 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Anyone can find an article related to just about any subject.  You mentioned ....there’s plethora of evidence that Aspen Ranch hurts and kills victims, yet you post nothing.  Where are the lawsuits against Aspen Ranch?

Here I can find a plethora of articles regarding brainwashing, torture and kidnapping at McDonalds.  But you cant find any cases of that occurring at Aspen Ranch, can you?  Has there ever been a single successful case against Aspen Ranch?  Forget your plethora try to find one where Aspen Ranch was found guilty of this stuff.  You site articles from your own support sites.  Try to site a court case involving Aspen Ranch.

McDonalds and brainwashing
Supporting Link A

McDonalds and torture
Supporting Link B

McDonalds and kidnapping
Supporting Link C

I haven’t been able to find where Aspen Ranch has been found guilty of any of these things.  Help me out here.

Johnny Reuben, ya lil pisser,ya link to forum discussions of animals abuse, the effect of advertising on kids, and an attempted kidnap of a Mcdonald’s employee.

So “nothing” comes up about  McDonalds kidnapping, torturing or brainwashing human beings.

The links guest offered connect to lawsuits, sworn testimonies, media articles, and numerous personal accounts of imprisonment, kidnap, brainwashing, and abuse induced homicides BY Aspen Education, bain capital , crc health.

They disprove your absurd statement that “nothing” can be found about Aspen Education’s policy of abduction, torture, and imprisonment.

Another absurdity? You, John david Reuben, paid Academy at Swift River and SUWS SUWS Wilderness Programs to kidnap, abduct, and torture your kid who later killed himself. Pretty fucking absurd!

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 15, 2009, 09:03:54 PM »
Quote from: "NIGEL"
There are obviously a lot of people on this forum that believe The Aspen Ranch (and programs like them) are terrible for kids.  I am still continuing to evaluate the whole thing.  My question to all of you is:  What should I have done instead?  To let you know what we did do: we had our son see pyschologists (he liked the one he was seeing, but not taking his advice).  We went to a psychiatrist.  My son agreed that he was depressed and wanted to try medication.  He stopped taking them in January and refused to see another psychiatrist.  We had teachers that my son liked try to talk to him, to no avail.  We had other family members step in----he listened to them and was polite, but he never took their advice.  He had basically failed out of school (he claims he saw no value in it), was running away and relying on pot and lsd and alcohol to get him through the day (this is what my son has said).  He claimed he was going to kill himself.  As I said before, he was not going to accept my advice or help (he claims I have no idea how he feels and that my advice sucks----our talks have been much more open the last couple of months, but he is still hurting big time and he hates the ranch).  Sending him to a relative is probably not realistic as I don't think any of my family is ready to take this on.  What would you have done if this was your son.  I am open to advice, as he will eventually be coming home and I have to have a game plan that my son will go along with.

Being in the program gave my daughter the time she needed to heal in a safe environment.  There were no options at home left that we had not tried.  Once she became accustomed to what was expected of her and that she could not break the rules without consequences she began to work on what was important which was herself.  She learned to speak openly about what was going on which opened up a whole new type of communication that I was not prepared for.  She became an incredible listener and engaged her mother and myself in conversations we never had before.......  Open conversations about her drug use, why she dropped out of school, the events leading up to being placed etc. which made laying the ground work for her transition home that much easier and apparent.

Nigel, the struggle you are seeing your son go through is normal as I compare it to what my daughter went thru (it is painful for both of you).  I think it is important that you listen to all the stories and advice here on fornits because programs are not effective for all kids.  Many of the kids posting here were not helped by the program and like any other treatment there is fallout.  This fallout is important to be aware of.  There were about 14 kids that where in my daughters group (some outside her peer group) that she kept in contact with and they are all doing fine.. some better than others.  So from my experience I can tell you that treatment failure is not the norm, but there are varying degrees of success.

I would caution that when you decide to bring your son home that you have a well defined plan that yourself and your son agree to and that you design a seamless transition to that plan (including a therapist) which does not allow for any “down time” or opportunity to slide backwards.  A plan which is structured and understood by both of you... not “your plan” or “his plan” it needs to be mutual.  

Questioning your decision is healthy.  Stay involved in your son’s treatment like you are now and it will work out eventually no matter what path the two of you choose.

I wish you well

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 15, 2009, 11:12:40 PM »
Quote from: "John Reuben writes fiction poorly"

Being in the program gave my daughter the time she needed to heal in a safe environment.  There were no options at home left that we had not tried.  Once she became accustomed to what was expected of her and that she could not break the rules without consequences she began to work on what was important which was herself.  She learned to speak openly about what was going on which opened up a whole new type of communication that I was not prepared for.  She became an incredible listener and engaged her mother and myself in conversations we never had before.......  Open conversations about her drug use, why she dropped out of school, the events leading up to being placed etc. which made laying the ground work for her transition home that much easier and apparent.

Nigel, the struggle you are seeing your son go through is normal as I compare it to what my daughter went thru (it is painful for both of you).  I think it is important that you listen to all the stories and advice here on fornits because programs are not effective for all kids.  Many of the kids posting here were not helped by the program and like any other treatment there is fallout.  This fallout is important to be aware of.  There were about 14 kids that where in my daughters group (some outside her peer group) that she kept in contact with and they are all doing fine.. some better than others.  So from my experience I can tell you that treatment failure is not the norm, but there are varying degrees of success.

I would caution that when you decide to bring your son home that you have a well defined plan that yourself and your son agree to and that you design a seamless transition to that plan (including a therapist) which does not allow for any “down time” or opportunity to slide backwards.  A plan which is structured and understood by both of you... not “your plan” or “his plan” it needs to be mutual.  

Questioning your decision is healthy.  Stay involved in your son’s treatment like you are now and it will work out eventually no matter what path the two of you choose.

I wish you well

Any "therapy"  said to take place at the Aspen Education Group gulags is  " of a clandestine, undefined and unconfirmed nature." No Aspen Education Group gulag has EVER presented ANY authentication of the "therapy" they claim to offer, unlike even the most backwater and resource strained psychiatric hospital.

What HAS been authenticated is abduction, imprisonment, torture , brainwashing, and deliberate torment induced death of detainees. Most of its gulags were formed by, and designed by cultic disciples of CEDU, CEDU itself made of the tactics of Synanon, by Synanite Mel Wasserman. These FACTS have been ascertained through media report, lawsuit, criminal investigation, and are accessible through google and research .

Aspen Education Group has adopted a strategy of google bombing to attempt to keep its crimes from ranking high in earches
It is reasonable to assume that the endless trolling of fornits by John Reuben and co are more attempts by Aspen Education Group to hide their crimes. Their  subterfuge fails to make any Aspen program less deadly

http://www.caica.org/SAGEWALK_DEATH_SER ... _CAICA.htm

Teen's lockdown called 'outrage'
Deseret News (Salt Lake City), Oct 11, 2004 by Amy Joi Bryson Deseret Morning News
1 2 Next »
A California teenager who says she was abducted from her home and forcibly placed in a 14-bed lockdown facility in Draper is asking a federal judge to release her, arguing it violates her constitutional rights to liberty, speech and privacy.

Sarah Utterman, who turns 17 today, petitioned U.S. District Judge Paul Cassell for immediate release from Youth Care of Utah Inc., where she has been since August of this year.

The document, filed Wednesday, says Sarah's mother, Anne, paid a "large sum of money" to have the teenager taken from her home and put in the Draper facility after she was expelled from high school.

"The whole thing, as far as I am concerned, is an outrage," said the girl's attorney, Thomas Burton. "Basically, we feel it is unconstitutional to hire someone from out of state to spirit a teenager away to lockdown simply because they do not like what they are doing."

Burton claims the teenager's mother consented to place her daughter in the program on the recommendation of an independent educational consultant "connected" with Youth Care.

Sarah Utterman, the petition says, suffers from Lyme disease and depression and is in need of highly skilled assessment and treatment.

Instead of treatment, however, Burton says Utterman has been cut off from the world and put in a place where teenagers are "incarcerated against their will and without their consent for dubious treatment of a clandestine, undefined and unconfirmed nature."

While he has not seen the petition, a spokesman defended the residential treatment program.

"We feel very strongly it is a well-run, well-operated pro-

gram employing highly qualified, trained staff," said David Terbest, director of consumer affairs for Aspen Education Group, the parent company.

But in his investigation, Burton said he has tried to visit with the teenager and was turned away. In addition, a licensed marriage and family therapist from California who knows Utterman has had her letters returned.

The therapist, Elisabeth Feldman, is the one who brought the petition on the teenager's behalf, saying she is prepared to accept her in her home upon her release.

Terbest said such restrictions are not unusual and it is the parent's enrollment agreement that specifies the nature of the contact the child has, and with whom.

"This litigation sounds frivolous," he said.

Burton, who has gone up against the teen help industry before in civil actions, said he believes the secretive nature of such facilities should raise serious concerns for everyone.

"I can walk into San Quentin, and I have several times, and represent clients who have been involved in serious felonies, and no one can keep me from talking to someone," he said.

Burton added that Utterman, who has no criminal history, would enjoy more rights if she were in juvenile detention.

"If she had been charged with a crime, she'd be a lot better off because at least there would still be some access."

Burton also doubts the credentials of the facility and says for the same amount of money, Utterman could get treatment at the Kennedy- Kreiger Institute connected to John Hopkins University, a pediatric neuropsychiatric hospital in Baltimore, or at the Menninger Medical Center in Topeka, Kan.

"In those cases, you would know exactly the credentials of the people involved in the treatment and what that treatment is. None of that is possible here."

As a teenager nearing 17, Burton said Utterman should be involved in decisions affecting her care and not be under the complete "subjection" of someone else.

"It is a constitutional issue of major proportions."

Burton previously filed suit against the World Wide Association of Speciality Programs, headquartered in Utah.

Although he lost that case brought on behalf of a teenage boy who was held at WWASP's Samoa facility, Burton is appealing.

He was successful in his efforts against a now-defunct Utah Wilderness program in which a 15-year-old California teenager died of dehydration during a "forced march" in an Arizona desert.

Burton was able to obtain a settlement on behalf of the parents.

E-mail: [email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 15, 2009, 11:40:31 PM »
Quote from: "John Reuben"

I wish you well

John Reuben never had a daughter. Remember your sons,John?  Max and Mike? Michael was the one you killed through Academy at Swift river and SUWS wilderness programs.   Ah, memories...of the son you killed.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 16, 2009, 07:10:36 AM »
Any "therapy" said to take place at the Aspen Education Group gulags is " of a clandestine, undefined and unconfirmed nature." No Aspen Education Group gulag has EVER presented ANY authentication of the "therapy" they claim to offer, unlike even the most backwater and resource strained psychiatric hospital.
Nigel, Could you confirm this for us?  Is you sons therapist qualified and treating your son the same as his therapists prior to Aspen Ranch? or are they unlicensed like we hear on fornits.

Offline NIGEL

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 21, 2009, 04:54:10 PM »
Just a quick note to say the phone call today went well.  My son claimed he was going to start "working with the system" and seeing if he felt it was beneficial.  I asked him if he was going to do it because he thought it was a good idea, or if it was only to please me, and he replied that it was "a little of both" (I can live with that).  He also wrote me a couple of letters this week and both were pretty positive (I asked my son if the people at Aspen Ranch read the letters and he told me that he writes and seals the letters himself).  He told me that while he feels a little restricted during our phone calls, that he feels he can write whatever he wants.  Reports from the school are that he is putting in a solid effort into his academics and he contributes a lot to class and group discussions.  I have another phone call next week and then I visit him in early October.  I will contiue to post his progress and let you know my thoughts on The Aspen Ranch.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 21, 2009, 05:09:39 PM »
That's good to hear he's doing well. Most kids in program do well, despite what you might hear from the few people posting on fornits. If you notice only a couple of people who went to program post here, and most of them were in programs over a decade ago. They have an agenda to discredit any program and even call AA brainwashing. These people are the extreme of the extreme when it come to prohibiting parents from being allowed to get help for their children. You did the right thing Nigel.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 21, 2009, 05:53:05 PM »
Why do you think posting obvious troll bullshit on page what-the-hell of a topic where you've already been outed as fake is going to accomplish anything?

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 21, 2009, 06:58:43 PM »
FYI, the truth about mail at Aspen ranch -all mail, incoming and outgoing is screened by staff.  This Nigel troll is just carefully making his point by not lying directly, but leaving out the obvious.  That is, he's intentionally vague as a trolling tactic.  

Example: he says his son "seals the envelopes" himself, BUT, what he leaves out is that his son's counselor reads the letter before it goes into the envelope.  If it contains any message that Aspen Ranch does not want converyed to the parent, the kid is simply forced to rewrite it as the counselor says or lose the whole letter home.  Nigel knows this, but tells the small nugget of truth, that his son physically seals the envelope, albeit with the contents censored.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control