Author Topic: Straight  (Read 2894 times)

Offline anon

• View Profile
Straight
« on: August 23, 2003, 12:32:00 PM »
[ This Message was edited by: KarenZ on 2003-10-17 17:37 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Straight
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 01:44:00 PM »
Karen, you ask a lot of questions and I could probably go on for hours and hours trying to answer some of them. But I'll do my best to hit the big points and leave it at that.

On 2003-08-23 09:32:00, KarenZ wrote:

"I'd like to talk about Straight.

I had never herd of it until I got involved with looking into WASP.

As bad as I think WASP is, this Straight bunch sounds many many times worse.

I'm not sure that's the case. It's only been around for a couple of years, after all, and Straight (under that corporate name) was in operation from `76 - `93. I think there's a lot yet to come out about WWASP.

I have tried to look into what is going on now -and have been confused.

Are they still operating anywhere under any name as a teen program?

Yes! SAFE, Orlando; Pathway Family Centers in Detroit and Salt Lake City; Kids Helping Kids in Lake Worth, Florida.

Were are the people who owned and operated this program now?
Melvin Sembler is currently Ambasador to Italy. Under Bush I, he was Ambasador to Australia. During all three Bush campaigns, Melvin was Finance Chairman for the Republican Party. His wife, Betty, was on the finance board for Brother Jeb in Florida. Much more on all that at http://fornits.com/anonanon/

Early on, around the early `80's, they split off their treatment programs from their fund-raising/recruiting arm. This they named Straight Foundation and then renamed it Drug Free America Foundation. They are still in operation, offering zero tolerance drug free ____ programs, drug testing kits and referal services back to their Synanon based treatment programs. At one point, they tried to pass federal legislation limiting funding for juvenile treatment to only Synaonon based programs.

http://fornits.com/anonanon/drug-free-a ... l-2001.htm

Additionally, Bill Oliver, former Straight exec director, wrote the Peer Counceling program used in many public schools today. Essentially, it amounts to training a group of students to supervise other students in very much the same way fifth phasers do in group.

DFAF members are active in trade organizations like Drug and Alcohol Testing Industries Association, Institute for Global Drug Policy, Drug Prevention Network of the Americas ( http://www.gdpn.org/dpna/events/events.htm ), Multijurisdictional Counterdrug Taskforce Training (militarization of civil police agencies) and D.A.R.E.

In essence, they're everywhere your kids are, just as they said they'd be 30 years ago.

Why can't straight survivors have them charged with assault and battery?

Same reason it's so hard for former WWASP students to take legal action against them. The program people have judges, educators, law enforcement people and others in their pockets. Those TOUGHLOVE therapy groups pull double duty as a powerful lobbying and fundraising arm. But for most, by the time you regain your balance, get back on your feet and start to fathom what's happened to you, the statute of limitations has expired. Even if you realize it right away, it's just your word against everyone else still in group, on staff and the parents' group. (that's one reason why every single program has such stiff prohibitions against association with former clients not in good standing)

It turns my stomach to read this stuff. Its really horrible beyond belief - thats why you arent' believed by people who weren't there - its just so unbelievable this could go on!

It seems to me there ought to be some way to prosecute these sadist who operate these programs. I can't get over how hard it is to bring them to justice. This has GOT to change.

I gather Straight also used thought control on the parents - apparently at least as effective as what WWASP uses - but how did they manage it in Straight?
Essentially the same way they do in WWASP. They get you convinced that, unless you follow without question every directive, no matter how strange, your child will die.

How did they manage visits and phone calls and letters?

That's just a little different from WWASP. Under the host homes model (as opposed to boarding school, wilderness or whatever) the kids are housed by the families further along in the program. Newcomer parents attend weekly or twice weekly open meetings where parents and kids sit in chairs accross from eachother, but are not allowed to make eye contact with their kid or communicate with them till they earn talk priviledges, and then it's a supervised talk in the same room with other kids/parents who've earned talk. Newcomer parents are not allowed to know which oldcomer home their kid is living in at any given time and, as with all of these programs, absolutely no contact with the outside world is permitted by phone, tv, newspaper, written letters or otherwise.

I wonder why the mental health agencies; Public health agencies, aren't all over this - weren't all over this, demanding it stop!!
In some places, they were. The mental health agencies in Miami gave The Seed the bum's rush. In Broward, they already had a few in their pocket. In St. Pete, the game was over before it had begun with Mel Sembler and Mark Vines (chiefe of police) already being Program parents.

I still can't get over the fact this kind of thing can take place, and the perps not end up in prison.

That's the nature of religious fanaticism that is the War On (people who use certain unpatentable) drugs.

However, Miller Newton is probably pretty close to finally ending up in jail. He's still got a core cult following, but he just got hit for another $4.5 mil, I think the figure was, in civil court. See http://thestraights.com/

I mean, just think - Say I took in a foster kid, and she turned out to be a little hellion; and I delt with it by stringing her up from the ceiling and encouraged the other kids to hit her with a broom - They'd lock me up and trow away the key - and rightly so.
Only if they believed her. If the chief of police, Republican finance chair, 150 kids, all their parents and all the rest showed up for hearings and called her a liar and you a saint, you'd get away with it just like a Catholic priest.

What ever exist in law, that allows programs like WWASP and Straight to exist, must be changed.

NOTHING!!!! Not in official statute and certainly nothing in the Constitution authorizes anyone to do these things to kids or anyone else. If there's one thing that offers cover for these sadistic lunatics, it's the myth that "kids taday" are evil, dangerous monsters out to destroy the world. It's bullshit, of course. Kids today want just what they've always wanted down through the ages; to become competent, capable and successful adults. There are only differences of opinion in what that means and how to go about it. WWASP and programs like it feed on delusional parents who turn a blind eye to what kids today have to deal with and who insist on holding them to a standard of behavior that might work for Beaver Cleaver.

Has anyone ever staged a march on Washington? That might be worth considering.

"

I don't know. We did protest the DATIA conference along with half a dozen other groups. It was fun, but I don't think we really accomplished very much. What we need is for consumers to inform themselves about these racketeers and to demand of our representatives that they and their dollars be banned from DC. People need to understand that all of these programs are modeled after Synanon, which became a dangerous cult; that they're very similar in operation to Scientology and that they are BAD medicine!

Freedom has a thousand charms to show, That slaves, howe'er contented, never know.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1840300051/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> William Cowper, a British Christian poet & hymn writer (18th century)

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Straight
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2003, 04:25:00 PM »
No, he left on 3rd or 4th phase.  I never heard from or saw him again, but I will never forget how he looked.

Offline METALGOD8

• View Profile
Straight
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2003, 09:26:00 PM »
Well Karen, there are alot of filthy rich people out there that have lots more clout with the "higher ups" than most of the former clients that were abused, so much more that it is difficult and frustrating to dismount these perpetrators. I am an eternal optimist though, so I believe that soon, BIG Government will have to make some serious changes. The treatment folks seem to have a fairly strong hold on policies and all that jazz. There are some of the programs Antigen mentioned that are in deep hot water right now and there will be more to come later on that... Check out isaccorp.com and thestraights.com for more info about what is happening to these programs, etc...

You going to that big protest in Orlando? That would be the ticket!

MG8 :smokin:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Straight
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2003, 11:58:00 AM »
Here's Wes' write up on the Orlando protest. It answers some of your questions.
http://thestraights.com/editorials/orlando-protest.htm

In my opinion, that's not even the worst of it. Just look at what your federal tax dollars will be footing the bill for in Texas on that same day:
http://www.scienceplace.org/museum/dea.shtml

And just yesterday, I was arguing drug testing and zero tolerance policies with a Navy friend. In the course of searching for research on the efficacy of drug testing, who do I come accross but Bobby fuckin' DuPont--the government psychologist who George Orwell warned us about. Curiouser and curiouser... just how deep do this rabit hole go??

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul alike.
-- John Muir

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline anon

• View Profile
Straight
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2003, 12:19:00 PM »
[ This Message was edited by: KarenZ on 2003-10-17 17:39 ]

Offline Jeff_Berryman

• View Profile
Straight
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2003, 12:24:00 PM »
There is a very simple reason why Straight, WWASP, and other such entities can get away with their abuses.  Nobody really cares about what happens to somebody else's kids.  We have a thousands-of-years old tradition that children are their parents' property and their parent's responsibility and their parent's problem.  The idea that children are people whose rights should and must be protected gets lip service, but it has not seeped down into our collective psyche as of yet.  

You know what's ironic?  If WWASP and Straight were in the business of mistreating dogs, cats or horses, thousands of animal lovers would storm their gates.  But human children?  Not their problem.  A blob of fetal tissue an inch long will goad people to murder, but after it's born they don't care any more.  

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff_Berryman on 2003-08-24 09:24 ]
hen I mount my horse, ALL THE WINDMILLS IN SPAIN TREMBLE!

Offline anon

• View Profile
Straight
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2003, 12:07:00 PM »
[ This Message was edited by: KarenZ on 2003-10-17 17:41 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Straight
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2003, 01:56:00 PM »
Karen -

Aren't you in a legion of the faithful with the program(s) that you refer parents to?

Offline anon

• View Profile
Straight
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2003, 04:13:00 PM »
[ This Message was edited by: KarenZ on 2003-10-17 17:43 ]

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
Straight
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2003, 04:57:00 PM »
I don't refer parents to programs. Plain and simple, when asked I refer them to look at checklists on how to determine whether a program is safe, professional, and as non-invasive as possible. I occasionally when pressed give a few names of programs that have been around for a long time without incident, but mostly just outpatient stuff and respected licensed therapists and psychologists. I also tell them about some books they might want to pick up, like the teenage liberation handbook and some John Holt books so they can better understand what it is like to be a teen. Teenagers, especially older ones are caught in an endless legal limbo. The law says they have virtually the same rights as an infant or a dog, but the same laws also hold them to a higher standard of behavior than their own parents. Its legal in most states for an adult to have sex with a 16 year old but that same 16 year old can't even see an R movie without a parent.
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Straight
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2003, 05:03:00 PM »
Antigen - Is Safe Orlando the only 'SAFE' that is assocated with Straight?

Reason I ask:
SAFE Alternatives - 45N (for those who self injure) * c/o MacNeal Hospital * 3249 W. Oak Park Ave. * Berwyn, Illinois 60402 * 800-DONT CUT * 800-366-8288 * Website: http://www.safe-alternatives.com/
SAFE Mailing Address: SAFE Alternatives * 7115 W. North Ave. PMB 319 * Oak Park, Illinois 60302

The above is on a web site I frequent, and I'm wondering if they need to be filled in on SAFE, if this Safe Alternitives is assocated.