Author Topic: Does anyone know in St. Pete the Straight Bld was located  (Read 6831 times)

Offline Kenterprises

• View Profile
Does anyone know in St. Pete the Straight Bld was located
« on: April 03, 2002, 07:13:00 PM »
Hi,
Does anyone know in St. Pete the Straight Bld was located, Not the one that was By Tyrone Square mall but before that, I went to all the  sites looking but non mention a address location. I know Mike said it was on Park Blvd. but does anyone remember how to get there? what is a cross street, and I would be comming from Tampa side accross the gandy bridge any directions would be appreciated.Even thought the bld. is not Straight Inc. anymore, but I wanted to drive by. and if these camps were so great to all the news media why were they always hidden away and the only ones that knew where they were were the ones stuck in them ???Hmmmm Thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline kpickle39

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2002, 10:24:00 PM »
Hello again - man, I could easily drive ya there from Clearwater, but to tell you the streets, is not as easy.  I think it is on a major north/south arterial.  For some reason, I can not remember the names.  I will pull up a road map at work tomorrow and figure it out.  It may be Starkey and Tyrone Blvd area.  If that is true, then the building would be directly off Keene in the old industrial area.   Seriously, if you are wanting to look for the building and you are in the area and want a guide, let me know and I'll help ya find it.  Take care -

Mike Straight Survivor, '78 - '80

Offline kpickle39

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2002, 10:26:00 PM »
I mean directly off Starkey in the old industrial area.  Wasn't paying attention in the last post.

Offline Kenterprises

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2002, 01:41:00 PM »
you know what I think your right Mike. Starkey rd sounds realy familiar, that might be it let me know if you would, and guess what John Harmon was my old commer, I wonder how they are doing? I wonder if they view straight today as the rest of us?Hmmmm.
Look forward in hearing from you I would meet you when Wee get down to Tampa.

Offline kpickle39

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2002, 04:42:00 PM »
Are you planning on attending teh conference in St. Pete during June?

Offline Kenterprises

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2002, 07:28:00 PM »
I am going to do every thing I can to make it We going to try and work our schedule in around that time frame,As you will most likely read I just found out that Phill Donahue is returning to Tv, this year! There is no dought in my mind he would want to have a topic of Straight Inc. and where are they now.
I can almost bet on it. He did 3 shows just in the 6 months I was there did they have another filming of it when you were there?
This could be very interesting, Let me know what you think, did you look at the map today for the names of the cross roads?

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2002, 11:01:00 PM »
I never seen a show with Straight Inc. involved, then again I never really knew there was such a place until I was put in there in 1990.
I really think that having past "clients" from that place would really spark some media interest in realization about other facilities with possibly the same background that Straight has incrypted into it's system when it was still around.
I'm all for what you are doing!
usan Minns

Offline Kenterprises

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2002, 02:08:00 PM »
Thanks for your support. I realy excited about maybe getting some air time, i hope it works.I just had a woman respond from Canada telling me that there is a place up there. I thought I would share her story with you guys.we wil not be sued by going on tv and expressing our truth that we experienced! Its freedom of speach.

This is Velvet2000 (Mylitta), I don't know if you are aware of AARC (alberta
adolescent recovery centre) or not. The Dean Vause forum is about AARC, and
I also run;

http://pub97.ezboard.com/bsurvivingaarc

AARC is a current Straight spin off run by a former Kids of North Jersey
clinical. I ight be interested in Donahue, depending on when it happens. Now
is too soon. If you go to my site and read the current posts by "Mike" you
can see there has just been some threats made. The person that they are
directed at may press charges, so there could be a first case against
someone in AARC. Let me know if anything happens with Donahue.

Offline wesfager

• View Profile
    • http://www.thestraights.com
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2002, 01:27:00 AM »
Hello,

Straight was incorporated on April 22, 1976 but did not open for business until September 1, 1976.  It opened in the Morgan Yaught Bldg at 700 43rd St. S. Go to this address to see a picture of the building;  http://thestraights.com/the-straights/s ... t-pete.htm

One thing,  you speak of it being a tin building.  From the picture  it looks wooden.
es Fager
www.thestraights.com

\"If David Miscaviage can go to his deposition as Admiral Farragut, then Keith Henson can go as Bozo the Clown.\"  Wes Fager

Offline Kenterprises

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2002, 07:14:00 AM »
Nope, that was not the same bld I was in. Must of been the next one. The TIN bld I was in sat off the main rd which I think was either starkey rd, or park blvd. Kind of like an industrial area. It was the last bld they were in before they moved by Tyrone Square mall.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2002, 10:14:00 AM »
You're right.  $traight started operation in the Morgan Yacht Building on Sept 1, 1976.  By May of the following year Straight had outgrown that two story wooden structure  and had moved into a giant metal warehouse in a somewhat desolate area off Starkey Road at 4950 ½ Park St. N. This is the tin building that you are referring to.  And then in July 1980 Straight moved into its final home in Pinellas County at 3001 Gandy Blvd.

Offline wesfager

• View Profile
    • http://www.thestraights.com
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2002, 10:19:00 AM »
I'm sorry I forgot to logon.  I made that last post about Park St.
Wes Fager
es Fager
www.thestraights.com

\"If David Miscaviage can go to his deposition as Admiral Farragut, then Keith Henson can go as Bozo the Clown.\"  Wes Fager

Offline Kenterprises

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2002, 04:24:00 PM »

Offline Kenterprises

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2002, 04:25:00 PM »
Thanks so much I knew sooner or later someone would be able to pinpoint it You are very kind.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2002, 05:59:00 PM »
no one mentioned that the Morgan Yacht building was  originally the Seed. Mr. Morgan was  a seed sympathizer and friend of the rich and powerfull people in St Pete.  The original straight board of directors (seed parents) got Mr. Morgan to rededicate the building to straight.  As for the builing being wooden, well, the  very front was a two story office structure, but the vast majority of the building was industrial and metal. The section where group was was actually where they fabricated fiberlass sail boats. Pieces of fiberglass just were laying around everywhere and fiberglass dust permeated the air, in the summer the temp in there rose to over 100 degrees.  A real fucking hell hole.