Author Topic: John D. Reuben and SavingTeens.org  (Read 52123 times)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Re: John D. Reuben and SavingTeens.org
« Reply #600 on: September 09, 2010, 01:22:44 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
Quote from: "Guest"
Quote from: "John D. Reuben"
"In 2004, when I found out Michael had drug problems, I founded Saving Teens in Crisis Collaborative to help disadvantaged youths participate in programs too expensive for them."

John, when you discovered Mike had a drug problem, instead of founding STICC to help other kids, you should have supported your son by getting him medically-based treatment for his drug problem.  Why would anyone faced with this situation start a business instead of focusing on their own child's problem?  Don't you see that your refusal to get directly involved in Mike's life is what drove him to drugs in the first place?  Then your solution to this was to have him locked up instead of put into scientifically proven therapy?

John, is this one of the "STICCy results that last a lifetime"?  I guess it is if "lifetime" means "22 years."

This marketing spin makes me nauseous.  We're talking about HUMAN BEINGS here, John.  I know the conscienceless, like yourself, see children as commodities, but this is WAY out of line.  You disgust me, sir.

Of course you are nauseous.  That is because you are weak and lack foresight like most people. See the problem is you miss the bigger picture.  You think small and think problems can be solved by hugging people.  People and kids dont need hugs they need solutions, they need to know someone is in control and can make them feel safe.  Most parents jump in and try to save their child by getting involved in their lives.  But the truth is it is too late at this point to save them by this approach because they have traveled too far down the path.  The parents should have been more involved all along.  So instead of taking the road everyone else was taking another option was to start a business around the problem.  This way you not only get help for your child but you find you are able to raise money for other kids to be placed and after the smoke settles 2 things occur:

1.   It doesn’t cost a dime for treatment and
2.    You can actually reverse the flow and have a few coins end up back in your pocket to boot.

You need to always keep a level head and look for opportunity when others are panicking.  This is key and is the Hallmark of successful people. Whenever something is going terribly bad try to think about how you can profit by it and turn it around into something good.  I have always been a firm believer that there exists a silver lining in every situation.  It is our jobs to find it and utilize it or someone else will.

As far as trying to find something scientifically proven, that is hogwash.  By the time any good set of studies are completed the treatment is outdated and people have moved on to something more "leading edge".  Hell they still cant figure out how bees fly but that doesnt prevent us from enjoying the honey.

Truly disgusting.  I've said before, if Whooter is in fact John Reuben, there isn't a hell torturous enough for him.  Profiting off the back of your dead child who, at the very least, wasn't helped at all by the program(s) he was sent to and more than likely (especially since it was an Aspen program that uses attack therapy to break the kids down) contributed to the feeling of desperation enough that suicide became his 'salvation' is truly sickening.  Literally sickening.

Children are not commodities.  They are not ours to "control".   Our job is not to mold them into what we want them to be, but to help them realize their own hopes and dreams, not ours for them.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #601 on: September 09, 2010, 01:46:43 PM »
I KNEW it and called it!  Marketing.....no wonder he's so good at the spin.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26615#p323338

Quote from: "Ursus"
Dad helps others after son's struggle with addiction
By Kathy Uek/Daily News staff
The MetroWest Daily News
Posted Sep 24, 2008 @ 01:13 AM
Last update Sep 24, 2008 @ 04:26 PM

SUDBURY —

Many people don't talk about the struggle over addiction.

Michael Reuben, 22, a successful sales professional, musician and artist, did. He also talked about his recovery and his day-to-day struggle to fight a drug relapse.

The Sudbury native died from a heroin overdose Sunday. After Reuben's death notice - which told of his addiction - was published, total strangers called to speak about the struggles of their addicted brothers, mothers, sons or themselves.

"I got so many e-mails telling me how courageous we are for even admitting this," said Reuben's father, John, of Sudbury.

People identified with Michael's life. "One man called to say, 'I've been sober for 45 years and I'm still struggling,"' said Michael's aunt Catherine Reuben.

"This isn't a kid who died in some shooting gallery surrounded by addicts," said his father. "That wasn't him. When people think of heroin addiction, they think of someone living this horrible dysfunctional life completely clouded by drugs. For most, like Michael, it's a battle against relapse. When Michael wasn't relapsing, he was living a normal life. He was a kid taking accountability for the disease, managing his life and supporting himself."

Reuben worked as a sales executive in Prescott, Ariz., for Lincoln-based Vendisys, a marketing firm his father owned. "He was one of our top performers dealing with high-level executives and working long hours. He had a lot going for him."

Michael was a good student, maintaining a 3.5 grade point average at Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School until he got into drugs. Reuben's troubles with drugs began in the middle of his senior year with drinking, then marijuana and ultimately progressing to intravenous heroin, his father said. He left school before graduation and received his GED, said his father. His drug addiction progressed to intravenous heroin.

"In 2004, when I found out Michael had drug problems, I founded Saving Teens in Crisis Collaborative to help disadvantaged youths participate in programs too expensive for them.

"My son was in this situation and I knew I could only do so much," said John Reuben. "I used whatever resources and talents I have to help others."

Since losing his son, after the anger, anguish and remorse, John Reuben has poured himself into his nonprofit organization to provide resources to families, who fight a similar battle. He does it "to get something positive out of this tragedy and let people know this happens in fortunate and unfortunate families, in Malden, Somerville, Sudbury and Los Angeles," he said.

And he and his family remember the essence of Michael. "He had very good insight and a way of relating to people so they felt comfortable and could tell him anything," said John Reuben. "When Michael talked to you, he gave you his full attention and listened intently. I'm devastated he's gone. There's a hole in my heart that will never come close to being filled."

When his aunt Cathy thinks of Michael, she thinks of his dry wit and the fantastical places and creatures he painted.

Michael Joshua Reuben leaves his brother, Max, his grandmother and several aunts, uncles and cousins, including the Reuben/Glanzman families of Somerville and the Frias family of Hudson.

Memorial services are incomplete.

Memorial donations may be made to Save Teens in Crisis Collaboration, P.O. Box 441363, West Somerville, MA 02144.

Copyright © 2009 GateHouse Media, Inc.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline grapeape30

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: September 09, 2010, 05:07:45 PM »
::puke::  :jawdrop:

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 09, 2010, 05:42:09 PM »
I know....pretty fucking sick, huh?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: September 09, 2010, 05:44:56 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
I KNEW it and called it! Marketing.....no wonder he's so good at the spin.
John Reuben has a loooong history of sales and marketing experience. From Correlsense's website:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

John David Reuben, VP of Sales and Marketing

Mr. Reuben manages worldwide sales operations for Correlsense. John Reuben has more than 20 years of sales, operations and management experience at global software and technology companies offering enterprise-level solutions. Prior to joining Correlsense, Mr. Reuben was vice president of sales for Prolify, a Netanya, Israel business process management software developer. He also held the position of vice president of sales and marketing at Kintana, a provider of IT Governance software and helped grow that company from $0-24M in less than three years. He was also a worldwide sales director at Oracle Corporation and founded one of their first application regions. John also held sales and sales management positions at Andersen Consulting, iSpheres, and System Software Associates. He holds a B.A. from the University of Massachusetts. In 2004, John founded Saving Teens In Crisis Collaborative (http://www.savingteens.org), a non-profit organization formed to assist troubled teens and their families struggling with substance abuse and other emotional issues. John manages this as a volunteer.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 09, 2010, 05:49:15 PM »
I KNEW it and called it! Marketing.....no wonder he's so good at the spin.
John Reuben has a loooong history of sales and marketing experience. From Correlsense's website:

John David Reuben, VP of Sales and Marketing

Mr. Reuben manages worldwide sales operations for Correlsense. John Reuben has more than 20 years of sales, operations and management experience at global software and technology companies offering enterprise-level solutions. Prior to joining Correlsense, Mr. Reuben was vice president of sales for Prolify, a Netanya, Israel business process management software developer. He also held the position of vice president of sales and marketing at Kintana, a provider of IT Governance software and helped grow that company from $0-24M in less than three years. He was also a worldwide sales director at Oracle Corporation and founded one of their first application regions. John also held sales and sales management positions at Andersen Consulting, iSpheres, and System Software Associates. He holds a B.A. from the University of Massachusetts. In 2004, John founded Saving Teens In Crisis Collaborative (http://www.savingteens.org), a non-profit organization formed to assist troubled teens and their families struggling with substance abuse and other emotional issues. John manages this as a volunteer.

Fucking salesman.  Figures.  ::puke::

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 09, 2010, 06:00:33 PM »
But... he tests his product thoroughly. Gotta give him credit for that. Puts his own blood right on the line.

Two kids. Both were sent to at least two programs each:

• Michael: SUWS, Academy at Swift River
  • Max: Outback, Hidden Lake Academy

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 09, 2010, 06:02:41 PM »
But... he tests his product thoroughly. Gotta give him credit for that. Puts his own blood right on the line.

Ah, I wondered why the interest and inner knowledge about HLA.  Wasn't it shut down?

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 09, 2010, 06:06:33 PM »

Ah, I wondered why the interest and inner knowledge about HLA.  Wasn't it shut down?

If you have read anything about his business he tries to help families come up with the funds to be able to afford TBS's so he would naturally have an interest in many of these places and how they operate.

Joel

Edited: Wednesday, October 06, 2010
« Reply #609 on: September 09, 2010, 06:12:39 PM »
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 01:57:21 AM by Joel »

Offline grapeape30

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 09, 2010, 06:20:51 PM »
pretty twisted.  How many times do we hear someone justifying all manner of self-indulgence because they had to do it "before someone else does".  There is indeed always a way to capitalize off of someone else's misery.  When the Glass-Steagall act was killed Wall Street figured they had to get in there and rope in some suckers with their usurious, crappy mortgages, chop them into bonds, sell the bonds around the world (bonds like the ones that bankrupted Iceland), creating a world financial crisis "before someone else does".  Then they had to sell credit default swaps as insurance against the bonds "before someone else does".  and whaddya know?  The cockroaches crawled out of the woodwork to rip off the
poor suckers in foreclosure "before someone else does".

If I sent my kid to a program and it did not work I would want to burn the place down, not line my pockets by sending other kids to their doom.
 :-[

Joel

« Reply #611 on: September 09, 2010, 06:26:20 PM »
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 01:56:40 AM by Joel »

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 09, 2010, 06:28:41 PM »

If you have read anything about his business he tries to help families come up with the funds to be able to afford TBS's so he would naturally have an interest in many of these places and how they operate.

Yeah, yeah.....we know....you're just a simple program parent trying to help.  No monetary interest in the industry at all.   ::)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: September 09, 2010, 06:42:41 PM »

Yeah, yeah.....we know....you're just a simple program parent trying to help.  No monetary interest in the industry at all.   ::)

Yeah, yeah.....we know....you're just a simple survivor parent claiming to have raised an at-risk teen.   ::)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 09, 2010, 06:49:07 PM »

Yeah, yeah.....we know....you're just a simple survivor parent claiming to have raised an at-risk teen.   ::)

And my monetary motive would be....what?