Author Topic: SLEEPING PROBLEM  (Read 10222 times)

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Re: SLEEPING PROBLEM
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 05:24:43 AM »
weed is the best. a dense indica would be a better choice than any sativa. (look for rock hard dense buds, not fluffy stuff).

Ive had a really hard time finding a strain that helps with this. I think the closest I got was a salad of lambsbread and northern lights. It just MAKES you want to go to bed. A definite couch-pinner. (Warning, this strain gives you serious munchies. not sure if its the lambsbread or northern lights)

My friend swears by kush, but it didnt do much for me.

blue burmese was nice, but more mellow

And yes, stuff that is dense and crystal is normally what you want.

A lot of weed, even the hybrids, will make my head chatty. (Mr. Nice. Pineapple. AAA Perps, etc.) but that lambsbread/no. lights was the shit man.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 11:14:57 AM »
where do you live castle (no need for specifics, just city/state)

thats very unusual. I started smoking at 14 to help me sleep, and it's mainly why i use it to this day (now 28). It silences all the chatter in my head. It also helps with my ADD. the only strains that dont put me to sleep are the hazes (which make me philosophical and creative) and other pure sativas, and real new york sour diesel (which makes me think about spirituality for some reason).

generally speaking, hybrids and sativas are not good for sleeping. they are a very "up" smoke.

kush, IMHO, is crap. it combines all the crappy trademarks of both sativas and indicas without providing the best of either. I have yet to smoke kush that doesnt give me a headache afterwards.

Afghani is better than indica for sleeping - it's almost like opium in it's effects - but a true afghani is very hard to find. alot of strains have afghani genetics though.

the best for sleep, as i said before, are indicas and afghani. Northern lights is a mostly-indica hybrid that has some afghani genetics - which is why it put you to sleep.

the best strains i've had for sleeping were Afghani, NL, og purps and grandpa. they were all rock hard buds that require a grinder to break up, and broke up into 10x what you would think they actually contained. they were nice and frosty with amber trichromes.

something to note: weed that is picked early has CLEAR trichromes (crystals). clear crystals equal "up" high that will NOT put you to sleep. well-matured weed with LARGE, AMBER trichromes WILL put you to sleep without fail. the chemical composition changes as the plant ages. Sativas dont put pple to sleep because the trichromes rarely turn amber, and are usually on the smaller side (like half the size, in microns). The number of trichromes is also not an indicator of potency. the amount of cannabinoids per trichrome can vary. (remember, a trich is just a little bubble with oil inside). look for plants that are not just frosted up, but have large amber trichrome. this will give you a better chance of getting to sleep. then again, i've smoked weed that barely had any visible triches that was stronger than anything else i've ever smoked - neville's haze from the dampkring in amsterdam.

I'd like to note for our readers that the brown ordinary stuff, the "your mommas weed", the stuff that comes in bricks, the stuff youre neighbor grew in the window or on the porch, the stuff the crips sold 5g of to you for $5, the stuff with leaves and seeds in the bag, is not weed. it's random green material that was once weed. dont expect to smoke that and have the same effects you would get from the stuff me and castle are talking about.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 11:20:26 AM »
Im in the bay area, CA. We get some pretty good shit out here. (amazingly enough, though, I hate mendo.)

brickweed? you can still get that? jeez, I thought that stopped at the end of the 80s.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2009, 12:21:07 PM »
lucky lucky, bay area. i wish i lived there. i'd have my own little indoor garden.

Me in NYC. we have alot of the same stuff you guys have, it's just usually at least $100/oz more expensive (driving the price of five-star weed up to $400-$550/oz). There are some differences. cali weed is fresher, the growers are more experienced and have enough leeway to experiment, and so many more people grow that the strains evolve faster. weed here is the same, but there is generally less variety and less selection as most growers stick to a few tried and true strains rather than experiment. also much of the stuff here is fedexed from cali. you cant just walk into a dispensary too. you have to know alot of dealers if you want to be picky, most people only carry one or two strains.

brickweed. yes. it is available. everything from crappy $10oz brickweed, to decent regs, to jamaican imports, to outdoor greens, low-grade hydro through five-star boutique weed that rivals any from amsterdam or mendo. it's all about the market. good weed is $300+ an ounce, and poor people dont want to pay $20 for a single joint. they want to share a fat blunt with their homies for cheap. so they get brickweed. hispanics, jamaicans, and crips usually sell the crappy shit, and it's generally only available at the "street spots" (dude standing on a corner) in nickel and dime bags that weigh up to 5 grams a piece. Crap weed gets sold to poor people, good weed gets sold to rich people. Same concept between Import beer/sam adams vs. malt liquor and bud light.

Mostly delivery services, independent small-time dealers, the bloods, dominicans, and a few street dealers sell the good stuff.

I must say, there are a few strains you guys dont have in cali, that are only available here that will blow cali stuff away. NYC haze is one. it's not a particular strain, there are hundreds of variants, but NYC haze is very distinct in smell and taste, and can only be found in NYC. anyone from here can attest to that. It's grown mainly by the dominicans and sold wholesale up in washington heights. it's been around since the mid-90s and is THE classic NYC strain. it's not found in amsterdam, canada, cali, or even just outside the city. mainly just manhattan and the bronx. Alot of the NYC haze is crap - it smells like chemicals. but some of it is downright AMAZING. another strain is Sour diesel. I have yet to see the stuff anywhere else in the world. yes, there is "sour diesel" sold everywhere. but it's not the same stuff. there is a trademark sourD that is always identical and can be found in huge quantities all over the city. it goes for upwards of $500/oz and is a yellow-lime-green color thats completely frosted up. when you smoke it, people three blocks away can smell you. it's like one joint of it has the smell of fifteen normal joints packed into it.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2009, 12:53:16 PM »
hm. those prices sound comparable to what I pay out here. 50 bucks an eighth is standard.

unfortunately, the delivery service i use charges 60, but you can buy a little less than an eighth for 50. Its also expensive because I always tip the delivery guy five bucks. My choice I know, but I have this thing about tipping.

I had two neighbors who would sell to me for less, but I had no idea what i was getting, and both of them moved away. It was always good shit, but with my crazy brain chemistry, thats playing with fire. (kind of like going to a pharmacy and saying "gimme whatever antibiotic you think is good")

We get a haze, but I can't remember what its called. Obviously  not NY.

Availability for certain strains comes and goes. (I sure do miss banana.)

My biggest no-no is skunk weed that has a super high THC content. Ugh. I never knew what it was like to get too stoned until I started smoking again and had some of that shit. It is seriously one of the worst feelings ever. (As cathartic and enjoyable as explosive diarrhea and simultaneous projectile vomiting is, the lead up to it sucked. Can't sit in any position thats comfortable, feel like ass.) Thank god for vitamin C, the THC sucker-upper from god. Quitting smoking helped, too. Tobacco would really intensify the effects of weed for me.

I actually have a perfect setup for a grow room. One of my closets has this hidey hole cubicle in the back, underneath the stairs for the neighbors apartment. (I call it my serial killer room.)

Problem is, the closet has my clothes, and the serial killer room has two huge bookshelves of comic books. Neither of these can be moved anywhere else.

I actually finally figured out how to harvest my herb grinder. (found something online) it was caked up pretty good, so I went with the 15 minute alcohol soak.

problem is, I dont have any sort of sieve mesh fine enough to siphon off the powder. I also dont really know the best way to smoke it, or if I need to put it in a pollen press and make it into hash. (theres not enough.)

I might just leave it for now and continue to use it for future cleanings, but man, Im broke, and sober, and would sure love to see how that stuff smokes.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 01:35:29 PM »
thats unfortunate (prices). i thought it was cheaper. my bro was bringing stuff in from cali, paying around 1-2 grand a pound from growers and selling quarter pounds in NYC for the same price, quadrupling his profit. AND, he was paying extra, according to the growers he was buying from, because they knew he was selling it in NY. i heard from people that you can get 8ths of killer bud from dispensaries for $35-$40, and that ounces from brokers and growers of great stuff can be as low as $200.

here in NY, you get .8g for $20 from low-volume dealers (that carry one strain in little baggies) or between 2.5-3g for $80 from the high-class high-volume delivery services (that have strict security protocol and confidentiality, but come within 1hr of calling with 10+ different strains perfectly manicured and preserved in little plastic cubes). New yorkers dont do eights, they do dollar bill denominations until you get to over a half-ounce - that way you always pay the same but get different quantities depending on the strain.

sounds like you dont have a kief grinder/collector. you need to get one. The grinder is on top, and screws onto a bottom piece which is a mesh with a little collector dish under it. the ground weed falls through holes onto the mesh where it is collected. the kief/pollen falls through the mesh onto the dish. after grinding up an ounce or so, you get a nice amount of kief on that dish. just scrape and smoke.

imho, alchohol extraction is not a good idea as it is very difficult to completely evaporate off without heating it and therefore destroying the active ingredients. isopropyl is very bad for your health to consume, and often companies add things to the isopropyl like bittering agents so people wont drink it - which causes anything you extract with it to taste like earwax. if your shit gunks up, you can soak it, but dont use the stuff that comes off. plus, THC degrades with time, especially once it's broken out of the trichrome (that black/brown gunk? thats burst trichrome oils smeared around and oxidized). you're more likely to get dizzy smoking that old stuff than actually get high. it's like smoking two year old brick weed that traveled the country in a car tire.

dont bother with a pollen press. i have a better method, if you have kief:
get a reynolds oven bag (the kind for baking chicken, or using in a vaporizer). cut off a corner, and stuff the kief into that corner, then wrap up the corner of the bag with the kief inside into a tight little package and tape it with masking tape (dont use other tape! it will melt!). you might want to wrap an extra layer of oven bag around that, just to be safe. then, wrap one or two layers of paper towels or newspaper soaked in water around that little package. place the package on a stone or metal flat surface (countertop is perfect). take a clothing iron, and set it to medium-low. once it has heated up, turn the iron off and use it to press down on the package with all of your body weight for a few seconds. do not let the iron sit on the package for more than a few seconds at a time. repeat a few times, while letting the iron cool down. the water prevents the keif from heating up too much and the bag from melting. make sure you use an oven bag or it will melt no matter what. the heat makes the kief sticky and pliable, which then allows you to compress it into a nice package easier. once you've pressed the package a few times, unwrap the paper towel from the baggie and put the baggie in your freezer for a few min. after it's sufficiently cooled, it's not longer sticky and you can unwrap your piece of hash from the oven bag. it should be a very thin wafer. you can fold that wafer and repeat the process if you want to make it thicker.

the above method is very similar to the traditional method of compressing keif into hash. in morocco, they use a pneumatic press that can exert tons of pressure. pressure equals heat. take away some pressure, just compensate with added heat and you get the same result.

another thing, if you decide to grow in your closet, make sure you have ventilation in there. it a common mistake amatuers make. they think if they stick a plant in a closet with a light it will grow. not true. they need fresh air and plenty of Co2. you need to get a vent sucking in air from the outside (or a co2 tank) along with a vent that sucks air out of the closet and expels it outside but not before purifying it with either a carbon filter or ozone, or both (you cant have neighbors smelling your plants, legal or not)

i must agree, banana is the shiznit. a delivery service had some recently, imported from cali. prob in my top 10 of all time.

btw i feel you regarding brain chemistry. I smoked too much too often for too long a while ago (like an 8th or more every day for four years, wake&bake every day) and i started getting major panic attacks. i couldn't handle smoking anything for a few months, and then when i finally was able to smoke again i had to start off smoking low-grade because one hit of anything good would send me into an acid-like trip and panic attack. If you're on tricyclics or trazadone, you may also have some issues. Still, with certain strains i can get that way. Super silver haze does that to me, as does jack herrer and nebula. I had the same problem with opiates too. i was addicted once to oxy, but cleaned up years ago. whenever i take any opiate now, it's the same thing that you describe. I cant sit still, i cant get comfortable, i'm anxious and on edge. i think it's just you're body saying "no more! i've had enough!".

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2009, 02:09:07 PM »
Thanks for the info re: harvesting! cool.

Correct, I don't have a pollinator. I've just got a plain old herb grinder. Also thanks for the heads up regarding the alcohol.

I keep hearing that about low prices out here, and I have yet to see it. Fifty an eighth is about as low as Ive seen.

I used to go to a dispensary years ago, and I think there were eighths of stuff for 45, but cant remember totally.

One thing Ive been itching to do is make a pot version of my sinful awful evil espresso truffles. but I will probably never be able to afford the amount of weed required to make a butter extract. (damn recipe only needs two tablespoons of butter. cant afford to make a whole pound of the shit.)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2009, 03:06:32 PM »
Quote from: "try another castle"

I used to go to a dispensary years ago, and I think there were eighths of stuff for 45, but cant remember totally.

One thing Ive been itching to do is make a pot version of my sinful awful evil espresso truffles. but I will probably never be able to afford the amount of weed required to make a butter extract. (damn recipe only needs two tablespoons of butter. cant afford to make a whole pound of the shit.)

since you have a medical card, find yourself a grower and list him / make him your caretaker. you will get stuff much cheaper that way, and you'll have oversight and greater say in what kind of weed gets grown for you and how. it's so expensive to you because you are a consumer at the very bottom rung of the supply chain. there are like ten people taxing you before it finally gets to you. maybe even just one greedy person pretending there's ten people taxing him. cut out the middle man. you can also save up money and buy a large amount from a grower. you can get huge discounts that way. even in nyc where pounds go for five grand, you can get a pound from a grower for 2-3 grand. learn to preserve it properly. seal it in small air-tight french canning jars and freeze it. it will last years, just once you take a jar out of the freezer and open it, dont put it back in. therefore, small jars are best. also, if you willing to drive a little, i hear that in most isolated towns up in the mountains of the emerald triangle (humboldt) there is copious amounts of weed to be had a dirt cheap prices. all you have to do is just ask around. my freind that would bring stuff to NY....his first time, he went to a notoriously grow-house ridden neighborhood near mt shasta, and stood outside a bank untill he saw a blinged-out hippie walk in with a bag of cash. when the hippe walked out, he lit a joint and said "hey, i'm from new york, do you know where i can find myself a few pounds of ill chronic?" that hippie took him on a tour of the neighborhood, and helped him shop around at different houses for a $300 fee. the kid bought like 30 pounds of weed, all different kinds from different growers, drove it back to new york, and was able to pay for three years of college tuition and a nice car with the money he made.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2009, 03:10:50 PM »
damn, wow.

No, I dont have a card any more. No desire to get a new one. My usage is rather low. (Normally takes me a week to go through an 8th.) and I dont smoke consistently. (try not to, anyways. makes me lazier.)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2009, 03:18:24 PM »
with that level of usage, it is true, you have little need for that advice.

btw, you dont need to make a pound of butter to bake weed.

timothy leary used to make smores with weed by just sandwiching the weed in with a little butter. sometimes when i make pasta, after i drain the pasta, i take a tiny little saucepan with a little olive oil and throw some ground weed in there, and let it heat up and mix it for a few min, maybe throw a little garlic and basil in with it. then i just dump the olive oil on the pasta and enjoy.

get yourself a tiny litte saucepan. put in your two tablespoons of butter, toss in some well-ground weed, and hold it at an angle so the little bit of butter settles in a corner with the weed and has some depth, and is not just frying on a thin layer. mix it around, pour it through a tea-strainer, and you got yourself a tiny batch of weed butter.

another thing that works, that you can get creative with, is whole milk. Heat some whole milk up like you would for cocoa, and then throw in the weed. you may need to add a little heavy cream or unsalted butter to add some fats to it, if your whole milk is not that "whole". strain as you normally would, if you feel like it, then you can use the milk for whatever - cocoa, coffee, tea, ice cream, eggnog etc. try throwing in a few tablespoons of poppy seeds, some chocolate and a tiny pinch of nutmeg, the weed/nutmeg/poppy/chocolate milk taste combination is killer.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2009, 03:24:16 PM »
would it work for coconut milk? thats what the recipe uses.

and as for the weed in butter, what about kief? maybe cause its finer it might work better. also more potent.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2009, 03:41:45 PM »
Looks like someone's been spending too much time on erowid. That's the thing about the internet, you can look like you know shit about shit when you really don't know shit.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2009, 03:42:06 PM »
i dont know about coconut. it has to be fatty/oily, or a solvent. thats the only requirement. if coconut milk is fatty, then yes, it will work.

the active principles in marijuana are entirely contained within the trichomes (the kief). the plant matter itself, without the trichrome, has no effect whatsoever (sometimes trichromes are so small you cant see them, or there buried, but they are there). when you cook weed in an oil or soak it in alcohol, you are dissolving the trichomes and their contents, along with a few other non-psychotropic compounds from the plant matter into the liquid. so using kief would be the same thing, it would just taste a little different - a little less "green".

you have to be careful using kief though. as you probably know, eating is not like smoking and if you eat just a little too much you will be incapacitated the rest of the day, potentially tripping your ass off. Since kief is so concentrated, you have to be careful about how much you put in, and it is difficult to judge the potency without a very accurate scale and lots of testing, and since you probably have a very limited amount of kief and dont have that much of a tolerance, i personally would not suggest you use kief for eating. it would work though.....  
Using kief to cook makes more sense if you have large quantities of standardized low-potency hash (hash is compressed kief), like moroccan hash. in amsterdam, all of the baked goods at the coffeshops utilize blonde low potency moroccan hash.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2009, 03:45:09 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Looks like someone's been spending too much time on erowid. That's the thing about the internet, you can look like you know shit about shit when you really don't know shit.

what's erowid?

is fifteen years of daily smoking, four years of growing, and eight years of selling (two of those in amsterdam, five in new york, one in colorado) enough experience for you to "know shit"? eh?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2009, 03:46:51 PM »

what's erowid?

is fifteen years of daily smoking, four years of growing, and eight years of selling (two of those in amsterdam, five in new york, one in colorado) enough experience for you to "know shit"? eh?

Yeah, sure. You win the intelligence award for declaring your illegal activities to the entire world. Or you could be full of shit, like everyone else who brags to random people on the internet. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!