Author Topic: CAFETY.org now live!  (Read 3369 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
CAFETY.org now live!
« on: June 19, 2009, 05:03:37 PM »
We are pleased to announce that the CAFETY website is live!

Features include information on CAFETY's efforts and how you can get
involved, press coverage on the issue of residential care, legislation
information and upcoming CAFETY events.

When our site initially went down, we were devastated to find out
that, as a result of the hacking, we lost all information on our 600+
registered members, including profiles, pictures, forums, blogs and
other registration information. The good news is that, with your
help, we can build that resource back up with the goal of surpassing
our previous number.

In the phase 2 portion of our website upgrade we will be working to
develop this popular feature, with improvements being made in the
areas of ease of use, community organizing, communication between
members and publicizing your (the user/members) experiences by
providing the public with access to information you decide you would
like the public to see (specifically parents seeking information and
the press) which may include any number of options including blogging,
facility attended, dates, and contact information. Special attention
will be given to enhancing security to ensure we do not incur the same
problem. Our Community feature will resemble our previous set-up, but
better! Please be patient, we expect to have this feature fully
functioning within the next few months, around the time we anticipate
completion of CAFETY's comprehensive survey for individuals with
residential program experience. (Pending Internal Review Board-IRB-
approval). We will inform you when we have completed both projects.

Please visit us at (and forward our link along to you friends, family
and colleagues):

http://www.cafety.org

In solidarity,

Kathryn Whitehead, executive director
Brian Lombrowski, President
Eric Beasley, Treasurer
Christy Dibble, Secretary
Charley Huffine, M.D.
Alex Koroknay-Palicz
Amy Christel

Board of Advisors
Lenore Behar, PhD.
Phil Elberg, Esq
Michelle Callner, Esq
Mor Keshet, L-CAT
Jon Martin-Crawford

CAFETY CA
April Peters - Ally Member
Becky Meister - Tranquilty Bay, Casa by the Sea
Bev Coluzzi - Ally Member
Chelsea Filer - Casa by the Sea, High Impact
Dustin Manuel - Music Director "Flight to Sinai"
Heather Harding - Chapter Leader - CEDU Running Springs 1
Melissa Maisa - Mount Bachelor Academy 92-94
Rebecca Ulrich - Monarch School, Second Nature
Travis Brown - Ally Member
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Re: CAFETY.org now live!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 05:33:47 PM »
Congratulation. Remember! Backup-backup-backup

Send a message to Youthrights.org that they should think about this also. I cannot access their webpage right now and Paulu had messages for their message board.

KD will be happy to kickstart your message board. She was very active before the webpage went down.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 04:32:03 AM »
Looks great.

Only serious deficit is there is no easily clickable "testimony area," that I see. What needs to be presented, most importantly, are the experiences of captives in these "treatment" facilities. Only with a large selection of accessible testimony the true horror of abduction, imprisonment and brainwashing enter the public sphere.

And that’s the only way for the voiceless (the dead, those too injured to speak) to be given voice.
thanks

Offline beasinthearmy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 07:27:29 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Looks great.

Only serious deficit is there is no easily clickable "testimony area," that I see. What needs to be presented, most importantly, are the experiences of captives in these "treatment" facilities. Only with a large selection of accessible testimony the true horror of abduction, imprisonment and brainwashing enter the public sphere.

And that’s the only way for the voiceless (the dead, those too injured to speak) to be given voice.
thanks

http://cafety.youthrights.org/wiki/inde ... _Testimony

That's where we are collecting testimony for now.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 07:32:40 PM »
Quote from: "beasinthearmy"
Looks great.

thanks

http://cafety.youthrights.org/wiki/inde ... _Testimony

That's where we are collecting testimony for now.

Thank you. i cant find it through the cafety site. Further, and this is not to ungratefully critisize your efforts, should the testimony not be of the "sworn" variety, as that carries weight in a way simple messages on the internet does not?

thank you

Offline beasinthearmy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 07:38:07 PM »
Thank you. i cant find it through the cafety site. Further, and this is not to ungratefully critisize your efforts, should the testimony not be of the "sworn" variety, as that carries weight in a way simple messages on the internet does not?

thank you

You are correct.  However as nobody in CAFETY is a lawyer, judge, or a certified Notary we cannot certify "sworn" statements.  Right now, this is a temporary fix in light of the original website not being functional.  We will be adding this feature to our new site as the site designer programs it.

If you have a story, please feel free to post it on this wiki page or just type/write it.  Or you can hold off until we have the website back at 100% and post it then.  Whatever works for you.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 02:20:35 AM »

thank you[/quote]

Submit your testimony link has been posted here:

http://cafety.org/involvement

With regards to sworn statement: Nah, not necessary.  Once its submitted to the Senate, it will become public record though.  This is the main purpose of the wiki site.  Just like one would normally submit testimony to a public official, no sworn statement required.  Not testifying under oath.

Once CAFETY has the community feature up, people will be able to blog and such.  There will be a public profile and program list/dates, relevant information available for public consumption - at the users discretion.

And, fyi, CAFETY does have lawyers involved in the organizations:

Phil Elberg and Michelle Callner

http://cafety.org/board-of-advisors

Also CAFETY has worked with attorneys at Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law and Policy and MDRI. That's niether here nor there, though.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 05:54:44 AM »
http://www.isaccorp.org/kidshelpingkids.asp

Down at the bottom you'll see a sample of a federal declaration form. It needs no notary and is considered a legal document to the best of my knowledge.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 08:54:50 AM »
Top shelf job. Very well done indeed
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 07:18:48 PM »
Cafety always seemed more on the ball than this site as far as getting regulation going in the right direction. Kudos to cafety and welcome back!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 09:39:12 AM »
Cafety always seemed more on the ball than this site as far as getting regulation going in the right direction.
Horseshit.... Screw you for claiming something like that on here.  :on phone:

Fornits rules!!!   :fuckoff:

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 10:56:08 AM »
Cafety always seemed more on the ball than this site as far as getting regulation going in the right direction. Kudos to cafety and welcome back!

Well, of course. That would appear to be part of their focus. They are a different type of organization than fornits (which isn't really an organization anyway).

More importantly, what was your point in posting that statement? Re-opening some sensitive areas for some fornits posters? Seeding dissension and mistrust between fornits and Cafety? What better way to obfuscate the real issue and hinder progress, eh?

I would suggest incorporating some prune juice into your diet.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 06:08:57 PM »
Cafety always seemed more on the ball than this site as far as getting regulation going in the right direction.

I don't see CAFETY making any claims about Ken Huey's good intentions, or doing his bidding regarding moderation of their forums, or going to speak at Natsap, no less. Where's the vomit emoticon?

Ah, well, nothing can be perfect, I supose.

Offline katfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.cafety.org
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 06:24:57 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"

Well, of course. That would appear to be part of their focus. They are a different type of organization than fornits (which isn't really an organization anyway).

More importantly, what was your point in posting that statement? Re-opening some sensitive areas for some fornits posters? Seeding dissension and mistrust between fornits and Cafety? What better way to obfuscate the real issue and hinder progress, eh?

I would suggest incorporating some prune juice into your diet.

Agreed, divisive and inaccurate analogy.  Fornits is the main forum, made up of a series of posts, related to the teen industry. It is what it is because of the people who come here to share their experience and debate.  It is not an organization b/c, well, there is no consensus and no organizing done here.  As a forum, it has helped inform the public and helped people connect.  Without Fornits there would be no CAFETY. I'm grateful that Fornits existed, particularly at a time when I was trying to make sense of my own experiences.  It was the impetus to me trying to take organizing and advocacy to the next level.

CAFETY does not compete with fornits, nor any other organization for that matter.  Fornits is quite complimentary to advocacy work at large, and CAFETY's specifically.  Many posters here and other forums have volunteered significant time and energy to CAFETY, while others have disagreed, or otherwise not found their home in CAFETY - for numerous reasons related to CAFETY's approach and/or advocacy positions and seek to pave their own way in a more decentralized manner or along side other orgs.  There's no right way... there's just difference.  Hopefully, where one strategy fails, another will pick up where the other falters - in action, we all work basically to plug in the holes... Or sadly, in some cases, to create more.  

Obviously, I found an approach in CAFETY that best suits me and others seem to have found the same (which is great and what grassroots organizing is all about). At the end of the day, finding what best suits us is all each of us can do.

my 2 cents.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline katfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.cafety.org
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 06:39:18 PM »

I don't see CAFETY making any claims about Ken Huey's good intentions, or doing his bidding regarding moderation of their forums, or going to speak at Natsap, no less. Where's the vomit emoticon?

Ah, well, nothing can be perfect, I supose.

Curious, why do you think speaking at NATSAP is a bad idea?

I know why I do and have more of less noted it, but wondering what is of concern to others.

Beyond that, I feel compelled to say that there's a way to express disagreement w/o being disrespectful/sarcastic.  I get that this is not the standard set by most on fornit, we all know this... which it the primary reason I stay away from the toxicity... but doesn't that it get old?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead