Author Topic: Rape, Sodomy, Witness Tampering at Alpine Academy  (Read 2907 times)

Offline FreeOfCC

• View Profile
Rape, Sodomy, Witness Tampering at Alpine Academy
« on: May 16, 2009, 11:57:34 PM »
'House parent' held for sex with student
Crime » Man, 29, accused of rape because of his position of authority over girl.
By Lindsay Whitehurst
The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 05/16/2009 07:50:01 PM MDT
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_12386997

Jonathan Carver An employee at a live-in treatment school for troubled girls has been charged with rape for having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old female student.

According to charging documents filed in 3rd District Court, 29-year-old Jonathan R. Carver of Kaysville had sex with the girl at least 20 times between October and December of 2008.

Carver and his wife were "house parents," responsible for taking care of eight girls every day as they underwent treatment for emotional and behavioral problems at Alpine Academy in Erda, said program director Janet Mulitalo.

Both Carver and his wife were fired when the school was informed of the investigation in mid-March, she said. They had worked there eight months.

Students are typically struggling at home with emotional or behavioral problems, including depression, she said. Under the program's rules, male staff members are not supposed to be left alone with students, Mulitalo said.

But charging documents allege that the sexual contact between the two took place mainly in the house where the girls lived, once in the attached quarters where he and his wife lived after the wife left to take a student to California. Another incident happened in a school van before Carver dropped the girl off at the Salt Lake City airport for a flight to visit her home out of state, according to charging documents.

The investigation began after the girl returned home in December, when her
father became concerned that Carver and the girl were still in contact, Mulitalo said.

After telling police what happened, the girl called Carver and talked about their sexual relationship as officers listened. He did not deny the contact and asked her not to go to police, charging documents state.

Mulitalo said the school will review its safety protocols and rules about adult contact with students, for possible changes.

"Obviously we're just sickened and concerned," Mulitalo said. Carver passed a state and federal background check before he started working there, she said, and had previously worked with children at orphanages in Haiti.

"Up until this week, we assumed the inappropriate contact was by phone and e-mail," she said.

Carver was charged May 11 with four counts of rape, two counts of forcible sodomy and tampering with a witness. He was charged with rape because of the girl's age and his position of authority over her. He remains in the Tooele County jail on a $100,000 cash bail.

When reached by phone, Carver's wife said he was friends with the girl.

She declined to give her first name, but described her husband as a "good person," despite "making some mistakes," and said the charges were exaggerated.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Rape, Sodomy, Witness Tampering at Alpine Academy
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 01:07:23 AM »
Mulitalo said the school will review its safety protocols and rules about adult contact with students, for possible changes.

I find it unacceptable that Alpine Academy would allow a male driver alone with a female student during a van ride.  I wonder if other students were raped, sodomized or tampered with at Alpine Academy?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 12:29:17 PM »
I find it unacceptable that someone said they might make "possible changes" after a fucking rape. "Possible changes"? THAT is your response, really? A girl got raped and "well, maybe we might change things, we'll see"? Fuck you. Had I never even heard of programs before, and someone said that to my face, the only thing to do would have been to take the nearest suitable object and kill the son of a bitch with it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 01:28:33 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Had I never even heard of programs before, and someone said that to my face, the only thing to do would have been to take the nearest suitable object and kill the son of a bitch with it.

Yeah, right.  ::)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 01:45:52 PM »
I find it unacceptable that someone said they might make "possible changes" after a fucking rape. "Possible changes"? THAT is your response, really? A girl got raped and "well, maybe we might change things, we'll see"? Fuck you. Had I never even heard of programs before, and someone said that to my face, the only thing to do would have been to take the nearest suitable object and kill the son of a bitch with it.
That would at least be a call to action that produced immediate and effective results.  :nods:

Offline blombrowski

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 01:50:25 PM »
Ditto the last two posters.  But...

At the very least the school fired the staff and cooperated with the investigators.  And at least the investigators took the charges seriously.  Still a long way to go, but at least this is a sign of progress.  This is Utah after all.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 09:16:53 PM »
Quote from: "blombrowski"
Ditto the last two posters.  But...

At the very least the school fired the staff and cooperated with the investigators.  And at least the investigators took the charges seriously.  Still a long way to go, but at least this is a sign of progress.  This is Utah after all.

Sex they take seriously. Death? Torture? Imprionment without due process and medical fraud? No

Its utah, afterall. No one can violate teen females vaginas without her father's permission.

And they are only interested in this issue as it applies to the low level employee, not the institution. Also, note the issue is statuary rape, not rape.  Big difference. Sorry, once you are imprisoned in one of these instutions having consesual sex with its employees of it is the least of your probelms

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 10:33:19 PM »
Sorry, once you are imprisoned in one of these instutions having consesual sex with its employees of it is the least of your probelms
With all due respect that statement is fucked.  A child’s compliance with the sexual abuse of an adult is not consent. A prisoner submitting to the influence (intrusive overtures) of a captor is not engaging in a consensual relationship.
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 11:40:34 PM »
Quote from: "Inculcated"
Sorry, once you are imprisoned in one of these instutions having consesual sex with its employees of it is the least of your probelms
With all due respect that statement is fucked.  A child’s compliance with the sexual abuse of an adult is not consent. A prisoner submitting to the influence (intrusive overtures) of a captor is not engaging in a consensual relationship.

My point is that if a guard has sex with one the captives at Auschwitz, the problem with Auschwitz isn't that the guards are fucking the prisoners, and the authorities focusing on this is irrelevat to stopping the most important assualts. Do you see what I am saying?
Also, if having sex with your captor gets you tortured less and freedom quicker, it’s a deal worth making, sadly.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 12:11:53 AM »
My point is that if a guard has sex with one the captives at Auschwitz, the problem with Auschwitz isn't that the guards are fucking the prisoners, and the authorities focusing on this is irrelevat to stopping the most important assualts. Do you see what I am saying?
The most important assaults?  I can’t fathom what considerations are examined in the mind of someone who would make such calculations.

Also, if having sex with your captor gets you tortured less and freedom quicker, it’s a deal worth making, sadly.
I disagree, such abuse is just more of the torture and freedom is as subjective as suffering. Anyone put in the position of having to make such a “deal” (as you put it), is bound to carry some of that harm within them ...even beyond their physical confinement.
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 01:05:57 AM »
The most important assaults?  I can’t fathom what considerations are examined in the mind of someone who would make such calculations.
The

I disagree, such abuse is just more of the torture and freedom is as subjective as suffering. Anyone put in the position of having to make such a “deal” (as you put it), is bound to carry some of that harm within them ...even beyond their physical confinement.

You are missing my point :  compared to the level of personal destruction involved in brutal, socially condoned thought reform, consensual sex with, or even rape, by a captor is a lesser and comparatively irrelevant assault. Yet the authorities are NOT paying attention to those high-level, institutional, socio-political, high volume assaults. Why?

Well, they are paying attention only to a certain kind of individual-actioned sexual assault because, one must assume, of their bigoted notions of minors as property-- a guard having sex with a minor is a breach of those property rights. If not, why are the authorities not paying attention to the fact that minors are kidnapped by, held against their will in these institutions, subjected to forms of "parent condoned" sexual abuse (strip searches, being watched while bathing, etc), slaved, and psychologically tortured(according to statutes in the Geneva Conventions)?

The "sort of considerations examined in the mind of someone who would make such calculations” are comparing the “level of evil” involved in violations of an individual by a govt and society to the violations of an individual by a marginalized member of that society,(I,e, which is worse? The holocaust or OJ Simpson), and the extent of damages to the individual.(which is worse, having a lobotomy or being raped)? These sorts of considerations are taken into account anytime you create a judicial and legal structure and there is no reason why I shouldn’t raise them on an internet message board.
Having dealt with both the issues raised here I know what I am talking about, so no self-righteous indignation, please that these concerns could even be uttered. We are a little beyond that.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 01:56:13 AM »
You are missing my point :  compared to the level of personal destruction involved in brutal, socially condoned thought reform, consensual sex with, or even rape, by a captor is a lesser and comparatively irrelevant assault. Yet the authorities are NOT paying attention to those high-level, institutional, socio-political, high volume assaults. Why?
Your point has been asserted. I happen to be disagreeing with it. I do not even consider that consensual sex with a captor is possible.
Well, they are paying attention only to a certain kind of individual-actioned sexual assault because, one must assume, of their bigoted notions of minors as property-- a guard having sex with a minor is a breach of those property rights. If not, why are the authorities not paying attention to the fact that minors are kidnapped by, held against their will in these institutions, subjected to forms of "parent condoned" sexual abuse (strip searches, being watched while bathing, etc), slaved, and psychologically tortured(according to statutes in the Geneva Conventions)?
That's quite an assumption.
The "sort of considerations examined in the mind of someone who would make such calculations” are comparing the “level of evil” involved in violations of an individual by a govt and society to the violations of an individual by a marginalized member of that society,(I,e, which is worse? The holocaust or OJ Simpson), and the extent of damages to the individual.(which is worse, having a lobotomy or being raped)? These sorts of considerations are taken into account anytime you create a judicial and legal structure and there is no reason why I shouldn’t raise them on an internet message board.
To the person being bludgeoned and nearly decapitated, their experience of being victimized is as valid as that of anyone rounded in to interment camps and tortured. Your rhetorical questions have not really expanded upon/illuminated your point IMO.There are far many more that two issues raised here.  It might be easier for me to get where you’re coming from without the speculative scenarios and hypotheticals.
Having dealt with both the issues raised here I know what I am talking about, so no self-righteous indignation, please that these concerns could even be uttered. We are a little beyond that.
‘Love that my consternation as to your line of reasoning gets mistranslated into self-righteous indignation then followed by an imperious “we”.

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 03:22:49 AM »
sexual abuse is really only a small part of the abuse that takes place in these programs, the abuse had nothing to do with the actual act of sex consensual or not, its about the psychological abuse that takes place that makes a girl willing to have sex with someone responsible for her captivity.

This is the reason why the authorities should be blaming the school and their practices not just letting them off the hook as long as they fired the guy.

Rape, even statutory rape is never excusable however you have to look beyond the surface and find out why and how this could have happened. getting all up and arms about this man doing this to the girl you lose sight of the root cause of the problem, the program. Furthermore, why is it that people are quick to get into a frenzy about consensual sex when too often they are willing to overlook and even justify physical and psychological abuse.
[size=150]When Injustice Becomes Law
...Rebellion Becomes Duty...[/size]

[size=150]WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES
CAN I HAVE YOUR FLAT SCREEN?[/size]

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 05:00:37 AM »
If the poster’s point was that the responses to the systemic abuses incurred by the victims of the troubled teen industry are all too often myopic and ineffectual, I concur. That is not what came across here:
Guest wrote: "Sorry, once you are imprisoned in one of these institutions having consensual sex with its employees of it is the least of your problems"

My objection to this statement stands. Consent is not possible within the victim abuser dynamic. Understanding that is taking into account the root cause, the programming  “it’s the psychological abuse that takes place that makes a girl willing to have sex with someone responsible for her captivity.” Qualifying the sexual aspect of ones victimization as being the least of problems is as dismissive as it is divisive.
  “Carver was charged May 11 with four counts of rape, two counts of forcible sodomy and tampering with a witness. He was charged with rape because of the girl's age and his position of authority over her. “(Emphasis added) Is this enough? Hell no. It is at least in that case a start.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 07:28:32 AM »
Good for you, Inculcated, for hitting the nail on the head! Consent is not possible in a coercive thought reform dynamic.

Qualifying the sexual aspect of ones victimization as being the least of problems is as dismissive as it is divisive.