Author Topic: Diamond Ranch did not learn from the Youth Care tragedy  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Diamond Ranch did not learn from the Youth Care tragedy
« on: April 23, 2009, 07:02:12 PM »
Again a boy was put in the sick unit and left for observation. It could be manipulation. Again a boy died.

This time at DRA:

One of my friends died in a program, a thread on the Ultimate Guitar message board
Memorial page
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Diamond Ranch did not learn from the Youth Care tragedy
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 07:20:21 PM »
Quote from: "Oscar"
Again a boy was put in the sick unit and left for observation. It could be manipulation. Again a boy died.

This time at DRA:

One of my friends died in a program, a thread on the Ultimate Guitar message board
Memorial page

Are there any articles about this yet?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 01:51:33 AM »
Full Name: James Richard "Jim" Shirey
Date of Birth: June 07, 1994
Date of Death: January 10, 2009
Country of Birth: United States
Place of Birth: San Diego, CA
Place of Death: Hurricane, Utah
Biography: James Richard Shirey, Jr. was born on June 7, 1994.  His parents Jim and Sue Shirey were thrilled to welcome him into this world.  James was a huge spirit.  He cried harder and laughed louder than anyone.  When his brother Matt was born 3 years later James loved hugging him and making him laugh.  Jim's short 14 years of life were filled with adventures and challenges. He traveled with his parents and family and loved spending time on their boat in the summer.   He was preparing to graduate from Diamond Ranch Academy in March and died of a sudden illness on January 10, 2009.   We will write more later and encourage you to sign our guest book and tell us stories of your memories of James.  Thanks for visiting.  

a sudden illness? Can an someone? Isac? Psy? Femanon?(whomever?) contact these people, please?

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 05:43:31 AM »
According to our sources the first autopsy did not show how he died. A second one has been ordered.

Apperently he had a illness before he was detained at the ranch and his health was weakened by the medication. I guess - taking the location of the ranch into consideration - that he was done for because the waiting time every program has today before the staff recognize that it was a real illness would have killed him no matter what.

I don't know it is common if parents know this risk and they have made their mind up regarding taking it. I am certainly not going to ask any member of the family. They have plenty to deal with.

But the authorities should make up new guidelines. Kids in programs should go the local hospital with no time to loose.

He is far from the first kid dying in this situation. How many are going to die before they do something?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 06:47:47 AM »
According to our sources the first autopsy did not show how he died. A second one has been ordered.

Apperently he had a illness before he was detained at the ranch and his health was weakened by the medication. I guess - taking the location of the ranch into consideration - that he was done for because the waiting time every program has today before the staff recognize that it was a real illness would have killed him no matter what.

I don't know it is common if parents know this risk and they have made their mind up regarding taking it. I am certainly not going to ask any member of the family. They have plenty to deal with.

But the authorities should make up new guidelines. Kids in programs should go the local hospital with no time to loose.

He is far from the first kid dying in this situation. How many are going to die before they do something?

I think if my kid died in a program I'd like to know it was abusive. OK. I'll contact them inthe morning. Thanks for this find. How'd you find it?

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 10:05:44 AM »
Paulu has a search robot seeking for obituaries of teenagers and young adults. Whenever the term "boarding school" is mentioned in the comments or text, he looks into it.

I still think that the family should be left alone with their grief. Loosing a child is always the worst that can happen for a child. Having others telling you that you  placed your child in a position where others have died before and by that indirect telling them that they sentenced their child to death, is not something they need to deal with right now.

Maybe later when they have come to terms with the situation. Now there is just too much drama in their lives.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 03:41:27 PM »

I still think that the family should be left alone with their grief. Loosing a child is always the worst that can happen for a child. Having others telling you that you  placed your child in a position where others have died before and by that indirect telling them that they sentenced their child to death, is not something they need to deal with right now.

Maybe later when they have come to terms with the situation. Now there is just too much drama in their lives.

What's with your concern about the family trumping this kid's ? What about the kid? Don't he deserve consideration, or should he just get tossed through the trash compactor for their convenience? Family does not =owner. And yo should edit that bit about Paula out, god knows the programs are not above asking parents to not mention certain words in their kids obits. Thanks though for that info

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 05:01:54 PM »
Well, I respect your view on the matter and I hope that your respect ours.

As for our search engines. We do not make any secret out how we operate outside the States.

All we ask is that when you any other survivor see a obituary of one survivor you enter the guestbook and tell how you met the individual at XXX program and how good a person he or she was. Then we are able to locate person and list the individual on our victim list. It doesn't matter how much you disliked this person. Just be respectful and it slips through.

The basis of our victim list is the three other victim lists on the net. They all suffer from lack of info. As I told befoe, the programs manipulate the search engines by publishing "Good news" around every "bad news". Our job is to find all the "bad new" and publish them as manu places as possible.

It is cyber warfare 2009 and it is our only hope of reaching the parents. No matter what this boy died of, he died in the program. A death should scare the parents. So let digg after the info, we know exist.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 06:54:30 PM »
Well, I respect your view on the matter and I hope that your respect ours.

As for our search engines. We do not make any secret out how we operate outside the States.

All we ask is that when you any other survivor see a obituary of one survivor you enter the guestbook and tell how you met the individual at XXX program and how good a person he or she was. Then we are able to locate person and list the individual on our victim list. It doesn't matter how much you disliked this person. Just be respectful and it slips through.

The basis of our victim list is the three other victim lists on the net. They all suffer from lack of info. As I told befoe, the programs manipulate the search engines by publishing "Good news" around every "bad news". Our job is to find all the "bad new" and publish them as manu places as possible.

It is cyber warfare 2009 and it is our only hope of reaching the parents. No matter what this boy died of, he died in the program. A death should scare the parents. So let digg after the info, we know exist.

Fornits SUCKS at cyber warfare. fornits is a laissez faire market of "truth".

As you can see, deregulation means whooters run free.

Just throwing that out there. If you want to e-battle the programs spamdex google like they do.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 02:16:57 AM »
hmm. Well, they did not post the message I sent to their guest book. I hope they got that email. Who knows? Maybe they are already aware about everything that goes on at DRA and are preparing to fight for their son, maybe they have a lot of loyalty to the institution and will make no move to even find out what happened to him. I hope for the best.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 02:23:53 AM »
posting.php?mode=reply&f=9&t=27403

James passed away from a sudden illness on January 10th, of this year. He was 14 years old. James short life was filled with challenges and joy, love and adventure. James struggled with finding peace in his own life. As parents, Jim and I struggled to find him the help he needed to succeed. As we reached out to our community we were met with out-stretched hands and open hearts. Teachers, counselors, friends and family offered support, advice and understanding.

After much soul searching and research, we found a therapeutic boarding school in Utah. We visited the school and spoke to Dr.’s and teachers and made the most difficult decision we had ever had to make.

During this last year, through an arduous journey of self-discovery, introspection and plain hard work, James blossomed. He learned to take responsibility for his own actions. He read Benjamin Franklin’s Art of Virtue, he wrote his autobiography, he learned to study independently and how to start a fire with a bow and string. He learned discipline and self control and he learned how to crochet a cap.

He learned not to be a slave to his emotions and to think of others first. He learned to resolve conflicts through mediation and negotiation. These skills allowed him to see beyond his immediate self and recognize that genuine happiness comes from helping others and fulfillment comes from accomplishing things through hard work.

James was preparing to graduate in April and had been home at Christmas for 10 days with all of his extended family. He loved his family and this community and he was so proud to visit everyone and show off his transformation from an insecure, negative boy to a positive, healthy, proud young man. James returned to his boarding school on January 3rd.

That week he was quite prolific in his school work and among his papers we found he had written his Graduation Speech (3 weeks early) and his New Years Goals. His goals included; developing a better relationship with God; finishing algebra; learning pig Latin (he was a 14-year-old boy after all) and most importantly, serving others. James was learning the life lessons that are so evident in this room tonight.B

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 02:48:33 AM »
these people love their diamond ranch. I don't know...Its interesting to jibe the parents take on the place with the survivors take on it,,,

Jim was becoming the MAN I knew he could be. He was a leader to his DRA peers and family and put their successes at the top of his priorities. Over the Holidays he had spoken about becoming a staff member at DRA instead of a video game programmer. He had found his own strength at being able to help others. His DRA family told us stories of how Jim had helped and encouraged each one of them time and again. One boy spoke of being so depressed he was contemplating suicide. He told Jim this and Jim replied with his huge grin "You can't do that, I haven't beaten you at Halo yet." All of the boys spoke of Jim's huge smile and always-positive attitude bringing them strength to continue on.

From Jim's brother Matt

Words cant describe how much I love my brother. Ever since his new school he has been a different person. He even had a new family that loved him a lot. His new school gave him hope and happiness. Ever  since going to DRA he was the happiest person I know. Jim lived his life to the fullest and had no regrets. And I know he is in heaven with his Grandpa Jack. he will be watching over me for the rest of my life.

From all his travels to his transformation at Diamond Ranch, James accomplished more in 14 years than most people do in an average life span.  
The spiritual awakening he received at DRA was one to be envied.  I feel we now have a conduit to heaven and I look forward to seeing him again.  We'll miss him so much but we have a million little memories to draw from that should bring tears of joy.  We know he's safe now and in God's hands.

Love and blessings,

Grandma Jo  

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 03:48:12 AM »
posting.php?mode=reply&f=9&t=27403

Hello, my name is ------ and I am now 19 years old. It is very hard for me to write this email but I find it to be more than an obligation.  I discovered your site today, June 21, 2005 and immediately had to contact you. I was physically, emotionally, and psychologically abused at Diamond Ranch Academy from late July 2001 to late June 2002. I speak not only for myself. 20-60 other kids at any given time went through some of the same sickening and humiliating torture around me every day.  Years have passed, but a lot of the pain has not. In fact, I still keep contact with about five people I went to "DRA" with, and we all feel the same way. Some still have nightmares to this day related to this program. (There's something strange to me about considering the idea of having a child woken up and literally kidnapped by strange men in the middle of the night to face a year of incarceration "theraputical".) It is a very dangerous game these people are playing, indeed, and I speak from experience.

The first two weeks I stayed at Diamond Ranch was the sickest display of an abuse of power I have ever witnessed. I quickly made it out of their gruesome hell of a "first level" they called "wilderness" at the time out of sheer fear and terror. Our sleeping, eating, and working conditions were absolutely filthy and barbaric. We were barked orders from four in the morning until very late into the day, then, when we finally were allowed sleep, we were woken up repeatedly during the night to do "calisthenics". Our days were entirely filled with busy work that mainly included making the facility look better for interested parents touring the ranch. We were not allowed to talk to one another whatsoever. If we were caught doing so, it resulted in group calisthenics for hours on end. We were not allowed cold water, only warm water out of dirty canteens provided by the staff. The staff always seemed ready to remind us they were only 'legally obligated' to provide us with two meals a day. Meals consisted of white rice or lentils for dinner and (sometimes) lunch, and oats for breakfast, and we were occasionally allowed rotten fruit. Spices and seasonings were only allowed twice during these two weeks because we were told we didn't deserve them. We prepared these meals ourselves over a burner. We had to use dirty sticks found on the ground as utensils. If one of us vomited, they were forced to eat another bowl or the result was more group punishment. We were only allowed to bathe/ change clothes every two days if that, (in freezing cold outdoor "showers" of course.) We were more than once told that that we were worth less than dirt, etc. The staff would mockingly eat healthy, delicious looking meals from the "inside" facility and candy bars in our faces to taunt us. When traveling from site to site, we were forced to march and sing marching related songs at the same time. If one was caught not singing, or crying from pain, exhaustion, or hunger; more physical and verbal group punishment. Once, the owner's son Robbie was our staff, just for the day. He set me aside from the group and physically punished me personally by making me do pushups with my hands in sharp rocks until my arms collapsed and then decided it would be a good idea to start yelling in my face; "What's the matter with you ____?! You can't do a push up, you can't do anything! What are we gonna' do with you boy?!" etc. I later discovered what he did there, among other things, was against the law. Another night that stands out, was a night when an abusive, and in my personal opinion mentally unstable wilderness staff member named Brad decided to make us do "calisthenics" until every last one of us was breaking down crying. That in itself wasn't out of the ordinary, but this round, every time one of the poor students in our group who suffered from terrets syndrome uncontrollably uttered an obscenity, Brad would make us keep going and going until we were literally screaming in pain, our muscles locking up. Kids were getting sick, passing out, falling over crying and begging for mercy. Later in my program I heard him utter things to other staff members that personally made me beleive Brad enjoyed making kids suffer. I also remember activities such as lying on the desert floor holding large boulders above my head in the blazing hot Utah sun until I felt like I could barely take it anymore. The individual shocking instaces of abuse of power i was exposed to during those two weeks were endless. Luckily, my stay was short. Some people were in this phase up to six months.  Half way through my stay at 'DRA', 'wilderness' was shut down due to illegal activity and changed to "unemployment", a much tamer and regulation-friendly version of what I had gone through. Needless to say no kind of contact to anyone outside of the facility was allowed during this period.

The rest of my stay at Diamond Ranch Academy was better but we were all still very manipulated and controlled. For example, after a few months I was able to mail my parents, but mail was closely monitored and read, and they ultimately decided if it was sent or not. If you did anything to expose the ranch for what it really was, you were instantly punished and knocked back down on the level system, promising you an even longer and harder stay at the program. Same with phone calls. They were always monitored and you would be instantly cut off if you said anything that could be deemed as "manipulative". Rob Dias and the staff were the real manipulators of Diamond Ranch Academy. You were always part of their scheme. If you sold the place, you went home.  If you fought the place, the harder they'd make it for you. They play a sick game of power with you up until the moment you sign your release paper. You were seen as more of a dollar sign rather than a patient in the eyes of Rob Dias, the owner, who used scare tactics in order to gain respect from students, and his sons and staff are well known for physically abusing kids in ways that go WELL beyond what they would classify as "necessary restraint". What I saw there was not necessary restraint. It was bullying, physical abuse, and torture. The difference between that place on a regular day and a day when an interested parent thinking about sending their kid to Diamond Ranch came to look around was as different as night and day. Bottom line: We were treated as objects and sales tools. It was a living nightmare.

We were always hungry, scared, and filthy. We were always living and cooking in horrible conditions. Always being used as an ad campaign for interested parents. Always being hurt by staff or the conditions of our work situations. I don't know how many times I had to go the hospital for being cut with sharp objects while working in the junk yard. I can only hope someone out there thinking about sending their kid to a program reads this, and does a little more research on these places. Everything in my statement is true. I give HEAL permission to use my statement in any way they please.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 12:00:43 PM »
WHERE ARE THE LINKS FOR THE LAST THREE POSTS???

you keep posting stuff from elsewhere but dont provide your sources

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 03:09:57 PM »
Quote from: "LINKS please"
WHERE ARE THE LINKS FOR THE LAST THREE POSTS???

you keep posting stuff from elsewhere but dont provide your sources

I searched a little:
The thread it came from
Heal-online where the data for the previous thread properly came from.