Author Topic: Did God help you through the program?  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Did God help you through the program?
« on: April 11, 2009, 09:51:51 PM »
First of all..Happy Easter

On Easter Sunday, Christians celebrate the resurrection of the Lord, Jesus Christ. It is typically the most well-attended Sunday service of the year for Christian churches.

Christians believe according to Scripture, that Jesus came back to life, or was raised from the dead, three days after his death on the cross. As part of the Easter season, the death of Jesus Christ by crucifixion, is commemorated on Good Friday, always the Friday just before Easter. Through his death, burial and resurrection, Jesus paid the penalty for sin, thus purchasing for all who believe in him, eternal life in Christ Jesus.

Jesus Christ suffered during his trials and tribulations. Program survivors have also suffered.

This reminds me of a poem:

Footprints in the Sand

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
             Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
                  In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
                       Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
                           other times there were one set of footprints.

This bothered me because I noticed
                                that during the low periods of my life,
                             when I was suffering from
                         anguish, sorrow or defeat,
                     I could see only one set of footprints.

So I said to the Lord,
      "You promised me Lord,
         that if I followed you,
             you would walk with me always.
                   But I have noticed that during
                          the most trying periods of my life
                                 there have only been one
                                       set of footprints in the sand.
                                           Why, when I needed you most,
                                          you have not been there for me?"

The Lord replied,
                          "The times when you have
                  seen only one set of footprints in the sand,
          is when I carried you."

This kind of applies to program survivors. I know some kids found religion in the program and it helped them through the experience. I was wondering if anybody wanted to discuss a spiritual or religious moment during your suffering.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Did God help you through the program?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 10:03:30 PM »
Oh dear.  This thread will end badly... lol.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 10:37:10 PM »
You are either a very well-meaning person, or you're anticipating our replies and are trying to make us all look like assholes. I'd like to believe that you are just trying to help, so thank you for sharing "footprints" with us. However, I wouldn't be able to express my views on the subject matter any better than George Carlin did:

"When it comes to bullshit, big-time, major league bullshit, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told. Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you.

He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bullshit story. Holy Shit!"

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 10:49:09 PM »
What a wonderful site.  Happy Easter weekend to everyone!

Would also like to add that Christ only suffered for those who are willing to suffer themselves and take responsibility for their own actions in life.  Depending on your earthly works you can attain Celestial, Terrestrial or even Telestial heaven.  You need to give back to the program that set you on the right path whether this is by monetary means or passing on the word to others of how the program brought you to where you are today.  You cannot imagine how good it will make you feel.

Offline Fr. Cassian

• View Profile
    • http://goat.cx
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 08:38:17 AM »
Well said, Mr. Romney!

The will of God helps druggies get Straight (with the help of the program).

Straight is the way to salvation!!!
I am a priest of GOD!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 03:22:18 PM »
I've found throughout my life that during my worst experiences is when I hear the voice of God the loudest. When things get easy in my life and I don't have as many worries and concerns, it's easier to ignore God and spiritual matters in general. You can count me as someone who did become closer to God while inside of a program. I'm not claiming I became a Christian or really part of any organized religion, obviously, since I was by myself. I didn't talk about it to anyone else. But I would talk to God privately, I guess this is called praying. Sometimes he would respond through signs or even by leaving me messages, kind of like voicemail, inside of my head. I know that sounds weird, but God works in mysterious ways. I know some of my friends in the program also were spiritual and were working on understanding God and how our lives interact with such a powerful force.

It's harder for programs to break people who know God. Their strategy seems to be isolating kids from their friends and family, and any other source of comfort or contact with people who care about you. If you know for sure that God is in your heart, and also importantly that you will be judged for your actions at some point, it's not as easy to give up your responsibility to resist and refrain from treating others how you wish not to be treated. Many kids in programs think they can 'do what they need to do' to get through it, and then the slate is wiped clean of their actions. I don't believe this is the case. I know some programs are religiously based on twisted interpretations of organized religions. But from what I saw, it seemed more like programs and such are interested in destroying any relationship or connection with God you might have. Some have gone as far to label it a mental illness and try to medicate it away by keeping you on drugs all the time. The secularists are becoming more like a rabid conversion force in of themselves, rather ironic if you think about it. I don't know of any religion that will drug you until you believe in their God, yet people are wiling to drug you until you don't believe in any God. I don't think it's an accident, and those people should be greatly ashamed of their actions.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 11:18:31 PM »
The Lord replied,
"The times when you have
seen only one set of footprints in the sand,
is when I rode you like a horsey.
Wheee! Im a cowboy. Howdy howdy howdy."

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 12:15:08 AM »
This overlord characture

me thinks me crossed paths with this wise guy down by the pond.

All that overflowing egyptian cotton garb.

The unkempt smelly beard.

Yeah, that guy.

He was trying to catch my motherload of a carp early on a classic kootenay fall sunday morning.

Head butt to groin smash with my mental rap request telekinetic powerage.

That'll show him/her/thing.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 12:38:17 AM »
WTF? God, poetry clichés, and f*ing Mitt Romney…! Is somebody doing a bit of reality testing, here? If not, maybe that would help.
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 02:32:57 AM »
I feel like I should now quote Kinky Friedman. I hate "Footprints in the Sand". My PDAP sponsor gave it to me just before I left the cult for college. What shit? "May the God of your choice bless and keep you. I respect Him as long as He does not circumcise me anymore". Kinky Friedman

More about him can be found here:
http://http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Kinky_Friedman

As for footprints in the sand...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 04:06:12 AM »
Quote from: "GC fan"
You are either a very well-meaning person, or you're anticipating our replies and are trying to make us all look like assholes. I'd like to believe that you are just trying to help, so thank you for sharing "footprints" with us. However, I wouldn't be able to express my views on the subject matter any better than George Carlin did:

"When it comes to bullshit, big-time, major league bullshit, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told. Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you.

He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bullshit story. Holy Shit!"

I had forgotten about that part of his routine until i just read this! He was so spot on, on so many topics, this one in particular!
Thanks for the laugh :twofinger:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 12:58:32 PM »
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." ~~Stephen F. Roberts

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 11:11:16 AM »
I tend to see religions as spiritual viruses. Perhaps some viruses are more benign, and confer to their host a resistance to superinfection by other, less benign viruses. Perhaps not. Much can be said about the particular host in question. Some hosts do quite badly with any viral load.

:D
-------------- • -------------- • --------------