Author Topic: HELP for my high school dropout  (Read 4305 times)

Offline wonderwoman2112

• View Profile
HELP for my high school dropout
« on: April 05, 2009, 12:31:07 PM »
Hi to all---I am tying to help my daughter find the right path and we are just so stuck.  She is 18 and did not finish high school, although the plan is for her to get her GED in the next month.  She has certainly had a non-traditional teenage experience---wilderness (which she loved, by the way), TBS (which she hated and didn't finish), living on her own at age 17 and working to support herself.  She moved back home with us 6 months ago, but she has not been able to move forward in any positive direction.  She is very "artsy" and has always wanted to go to art school. She had begun a portfolio 2 yrs ago, and although small, it is good.  She really does want to go to college, but the whole "h.s dropout" thing is a huge regret of hers and I think she is really scared to even try for fear of rejection.  I am hoping that some of you have had similar experiences and found community colleges, art schools, or even traditional colleges that embraced your non-traditional path.  She will need a fairly nurturing and supportive environment as she needs a lot of positive reinforcement.  I would be so thankful for any thoughts  any of you might share.  THANK YOU!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: HELP for my high school dropout
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 12:49:09 PM »
Quote from: "wonderwoman2112"
Hi to all---I am tying to help my daughter find the right path and we are just so stuck.  She is 18 and did not finish high school, although the plan is for her to get her GED in the next month.  She has certainly had a non-traditional teenage experience---wilderness (which she loved, by the way), TBS (which she hated and didn't finish), living on her own at age 17 and working to support herself.  She moved back home with us 6 months ago, but she has not been able to move forward in any positive direction.  She is very "artsy" and has always wanted to go to art school. She had begun a portfolio 2 yrs ago, and although small, it is good.  She really does want to go to college, but the whole "h.s dropout" thing is a huge regret of hers and I think she is really scared to even try for fear of rejection.  I am hoping that some of you have had similar experiences and found community colleges, art schools, or even traditional colleges that embraced your non-traditional path.  She will need a fairly nurturing and supportive environment as she needs a lot of positive reinforcement.  I would be so thankful for any thoughts  any of you might share.  THANK YOU!!!

Acutally, what happened is you forced her to "drop out" of hs by forcing her on a "forced march" than locking her in a private prison. Congrats. You contrubuted to ruining your kids life! Thank god your a troll and none of what you say is real!

Offline wonderwoman2112

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 02:02:06 PM »
Thanks for such a helpful reply.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 02:54:01 PM »
Thanks for such a helpful reply.

You’re welcome, you psychotic child abusing bitch, or more likely, a staff-program-parent-troll who gets off impersonating one.

Why don't you go to a rape survivor forum, announce you paid a gaggle of goons to gang-rape a 17 year old for 4 years straight, and would like some advice about getting that 17 year old into a college after that “untraditional” past?

Why don't you pull your head out of your self-absorbed ass and look around and see what it's like to be abducted and held captive, force marched, brainwashed and tortured and have other such "untraditional" experiences, and get back to me.

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 03:06:24 PM »
I have looked at your previous posts and she has been through quiet a bit. As I could have predicted if I had been on this board, she is now suffering from various degrees of PTSD, which is normal considering that she has been sometime at a TBS.

If she is interested in art, she can only excel if she gets more inputs from various cultures. I would recommend that she should travel to Denmark and attend one of our Folk High school. They are drug/alcohol free environments on campus but the students attend life outside in weekends.

Having been placed in a stressful lockdown and a wilderness what she needs is a positive environment where she can get some postive feedback on her art. She need successes in her own pace rather than being forced to be productive.

May I suggest Thorstedlund. Remember she would be several thousand miles from negative peers. The only setback is that Denmark and the States don't transfer credits. Here is a study guide to Denmark in English.

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 03:10:17 PM »
she needs to get the GED and apply at the Art Institute. They don't care about your high school past as long as you have talent. Its also an AWESOME program and is a non traditional program, cuts most of the general ed classes in half.
[size=150]When Injustice Becomes Law
...Rebellion Becomes Duty...[/size]

[size=150]WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES
CAN I HAVE YOUR FLAT SCREEN?[/size]

Offline wonderwoman2112

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 03:12:42 PM »
Which art institute---there are lots of them?????

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 03:16:06 PM »
Which art institute---there are lots of them?????

whichever one is closest to you... they all operate the same program.

this is exactly where I was at her age, unsure of myself and scared, however I was not allowed to go to my dream school because my mother was not willing to take out the student loans after the program, and to this day my biggest regret is that I didn't go when I had the chance.

Encourage her to go, it really will make the biggest difference in her life.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 03:23:26 PM »
Take the money you would spend on college or obtaining GED, food and living costs, add it all up. Now, write a check to your daughter for this full amount. Then tell her she is released from your presence for the sake of your long term well being. Then don't contact her for 10 years, or ever. You will think this is an insult or joke, but I'm dead serious- this is the only option that will work for her benefit. If you want to be that fix-it helicopter parent who saves the day, and you got to get your fix, or definition for existing through actions taken on your daughter's behalf, then whatever. If you were dumb enough to send a kid to "wilderness" then we already know the answer to what kind of direction you are headed.

Daughter. If you read this, get out now. Just do it. leave. get out now! right now! Or if you stay, be sure to bring up the akward situations from wilderness  during dinner for laughs. "Hey mom this meal kind of reminds me of the beans and rice I ate when forced to hike 10 miles in the desert, THANKS AGAIN FOR THAT".

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 03:24:34 PM »
BTW. Real artists , you know people who can actually make a living for it, dont need school. School studies them and regurgitates imitators, why do that to yourself? seriously, cut the girl a check and call it a day.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 03:48:16 PM »

Anne, is that you?

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 03:49:13 PM »
I don't agree. college ESPECIALLY for artist is important. I was a self taught graphic designer for 5 years until I realized I wasn't as good as I could be with some education. These days it is REALLY hard to make a living off art. your best bet is to get into web design or find a way to sell a marketable product. Marketing as well is a very important part of art and if sales doesn't come natural to you an education can go a long way. Art school isnt like college... its not a "oh ill just take some classes while i find myself" kind of program. It's diligent, current and very necessary learning that assists you in creating a magnificent portfolio.

Despite the fact that this woman sent her child to a program, I still think that art college is the best possible step for a young artist, being one myself that is what I would do if I could go back in time. Today's economy doesn't reward those who dreamed their life away, it rewards those who do and I cant help but think that if I had gone to art school I would be much more financially stable and had a much more enjoyable young adulthood.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 03:51:49 PM »
I disagree. a lot of study and skill development goes into it. its like playing a musical instrument. You don’t just wake up one day and paint like Monet. The greatest artist of all time, who was unable to fulfill his/her potential because s/he was murdered by CEDU running springs, studied art with a tutor and painted and drew independently every day of his/her life until thier abduction and environmentally induced lobotomy.Eventually her/his murderers will be in prison. Wish me luck.

You can be self taught, but school helps a lot. It gets you into good habits connects you to other artists and people your age with similar interests and intellect.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 03:58:08 PM »
its easy to focus on projecting our own missed opportunities on this girl, but come on, there is only one sentence of importance in her entire paragraph.

She moved back home with us 6 months ago, but she has not been able to move forward in any positive direction.  

only solution is to get the heck away from her family. if not, she might end up in a strange dysfunctional relationship like pam and her kid. you know birds, nests.. making them fly and all that.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 04:02:56 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/wonderwoman2112

I wonder if that is her kid in the videos? I just googled her fornits username and found that.