Author Topic: The gangsta movement  (Read 2313 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The gangsta movement
« on: March 04, 2009, 09:59:09 AM »
I was in the gulag long before this gangsta fad began, I'm from a much different era. Snoop Dogg was probably in diapers when I was 15. But this gangsta thing is a monster for those of us trying to fight the existence of these places like Provo Canyon. People just say "well these kids are out there killing people in the streets and joining gangs so why shouldn't these places be allowed to operate?". They should be more vicious because these kids are vicious. How do we fight this kind of argument?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: The gangsta movement
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 10:13:06 AM »
Quote from: "ftw"
I was in the gulag long before this gangsta fad began, I'm from a much different era. Snoop Dogg was probably in diapers when I was 15. But this gangsta thing is a monster for those of us trying to fight the existence of these places like Provo Canyon. People just say "well these kids are out there killing people in the streets and joining gangs so why shouldn't these places be allowed to operate?". They should be more vicious because these kids are vicious. How do we fight this kind of argument?

How ling ago were you in cedu then? You must have been their way back.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 10:33:46 AM »
Late 70's.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 02:53:50 PM »
Argument 1: "Gangsta movement" is exaggerated and doesn't exist to any real degree outside of media reports and the ghettos.  Not every kid who listens to gangsta rap and talks about "busting caps" would run screaming to his momma at the first gunshot.

Argument 2: Ends do not justify the means.  Just because kids treat each other better does not mean that adults can treat the kids badly.  Try leading with an open palm by setting an example rather than trying to control with a closed fist*.

*yeah... been playin jade empire recently...  so sue me if it has catchy analogies.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 03:38:55 PM »
The problem has nothing to do with what you or I think about rap music or anything else. The problem is the stereotype that is in the minds of those who might otherwise help close the gulags and enact reforms. You should be able to see that.

Quote from: "psy"
Argument 1: "Gangsta movement" is exaggerated and doesn't exist to any real degree outside of media reports and the ghettos.  Not every kid who listens to gangsta rap and talks about "busting caps" would run screaming to his momma at the first gunshot.

Argument 2: Ends do not justify the means.  Just because kids treat each other better does not mean that adults can treat the kids badly.  Try leading with an open palm by setting an example rather than trying to control with a closed fist*.

*yeah... been playin jade empire recently...  so sue me if it has catchy analogies.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 03:47:33 PM »
The problem has nothing to do with what you or I think about rap music or anything else. The problem is the stereotype that is in the minds of those who might otherwise help close the gulags and enact reforms. You should be able to see that.

It is a cultural battle, I agree.  But I think our approach differs in that you are thinking of talking to politicians and so on and so forth when I am thinking of talking directly to parents, often on a one on one basis or from an informational website.  I believe that education and media does a hell of a lot more than government.

Different approaches require different strategies.  If you're trying to convince government officials, I would start with a paper bag full of money or a hefty campaign contribution.  It's not my cup of tea.  I'm sick to death of the government and have seen enough incompetence for several lifetimes over to know better than to ask them for help.  Far be it for me to get in your way, though...  go right ahead.
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 04:25:17 PM »
I think I'd take any approach to get rid of the gulags, government, websites, media, whatever. Maybe examine the pressure that has currently been put on the gulags and figure out what factors are keeping them running. They are obviously in an information war with sites such as this throwing out all kinds of disinformation. I think if I had that bag of cash, I'd spend it on more support from other forms of media, TV ads along with publicizing and promoting sites such as this. I doubt many people know this site exists especially those who haven't already gone through the gulags. Possibly use demographics, hit states where the Mormons aren't so popular with the stories about Provo and the like - stuff like that. Hit portions of the population who are more educated with these theories that the gulags profess and solicit counterarguments and the like. But you're right, without the money the options are very limited.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 10:19:30 PM »
This thread is racist!

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 04:00:18 AM »
How long have been gangs been around, really? Longer than this so-called "gangsta movement" as dictated by the media. One of the reasons why my parents were so concerned for me was because I was, as my mom puts it, "talking like a black chick." There is inherent racism in placing kids in programs, whether they were involved with gangs or not. Oh shit, my kid's talking like a nigger, and they're white! holy fuck. oh n0z. Latin Kings, Norteno, Sureno, Bloods and Crips, oh my.

In my opinion, you are sure shot pissing up a thread if you think you are going to get rid of gangs. Programs sure aren't going to stop it. I feel that the most effective way to lower gang membership is through early intervention through community efforts, especially by work via reformed gang members. Their words have more weight than anything else, cause they've been there.

But the "gangsta movement" isn't about gangs. That's just a pop-culture thing. It really has nothing to do with gangbanging at all. Gangs run way deeper than what you see on television. In my neighborhood, a lot of gangbangers are second or third generation.. way before all of this bullshit came about.

Real gangbangers are kids of previous gangbangers, and if they're not, their parents don't have money to send a kid to a program. If they get busted, they end up in juvvie.

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 11:11:03 AM »
I think its all perception....20 year ago parents were putting their kids away for wearing black and listening to Ozzy Osbourne.   Now they use "Crazy Train" to put an edge on the 4 door Toyota Corolla commercial.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 11:14:57 AM »
Quote from: "try another castle"
Real gangbangers are kids of previous gangbangers

Can't wait for somebody to claim that behavior is a "disease" since it's obviously genetic.  lols.

Gang Bangers Anonymous

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 08:49:13 PM »
Herein lies the main problem in our society, the media induced social hysteria. Todays (and yesterday's) parents get so worked up and worried that their child is going to fuck up their picture perfect vision of a "family" that they literally go crazy. NUTS. Hence the desperation we hear so often from their excuses. The problem is not the risky, experimental nature of the teenager, its the parents who react so harshly to a normal phase in a young human's life. I really don't think a suburban teenager could really have mastered a full blown drug addiction let alone real gang banging, that whole concept that these kids are "headed down that path" is just preposterous!

My mother recently told me, as she usually does when we speak about the program, that her reason for sending me to the program was that I was "worrisome" to her....lol. True story, there was a time that one of my friends from school, (who honest to god I can't even remember) knocked on my front door and my mom answered, and apparently he or I think the other person that was with him (someone I had never met before in my life) was wearing a brown bandanna. This was about the time that my mother assumed that I was "running with the gangs". How would my mom have even came to this conclusion if it weren't for the news cast on about gangs and their affiliation with bandannas? Honestly the whole thing is LAUGHABLE!!  

You can assume this kind of thing is common, especially with those kinds of parents who are religious and take any sign of mischief as the curse of the devil. My point is the problem isn't the gangs or the drugs or the teens that misbehave, its the media and the hysteria they are spreading with the scare tactics they use to pump up their ratings. Gullible idiotic people like the generations that birthed us are susceptible to the hype and often over-react when they notice what they perceive to be signs of "the hood" creeping into their teenagers lives. Rap music is enough to send a parent into "gang watch" believe me, as much as it seems just like music to you and me, to them its as if "niggas" literally busted into their home and stole their teenager.

Here's a solution, boycott FOX News.
[size=150]When Injustice Becomes Law
...Rebellion Becomes Duty...[/size]

[size=150]WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES
CAN I HAVE YOUR FLAT SCREEN?[/size]

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 08:59:26 PM »

Can't wait for somebody to claim that behavior is a "disease" since it's obviously genetic.  lols.

They have.

its called Borderline Personality Disorder

or Oppositional Defiant Disorder.

Gang Bangers Anonymous

Honestly I'd rather join a gang than a cult.
[size=150]When Injustice Becomes Law
...Rebellion Becomes Duty...[/size]

[size=150]WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES
CAN I HAVE YOUR FLAT SCREEN?[/size]

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 01:01:03 PM »
Quote from: "FemanonFatal2.0"

They have.

Gang Bangers Anonymous

Yeah, that whole Oppositional Defiant Disorder crap makes me want to shit my pants and feed it to the nearest Psychologist.

Its almost funny....like I am hoping that someone will stand up and say, "Oh yeah! It was all a bad joke that stuf about calling teen defiance a disorder!" oops!  Like I just cant believe that someone could use that term with a straight face.

::fullofshit::
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 01:01:51 PM »
Quote from: "FemanonFatal2.0"

They have.

Gang Bangers Anonymous

Yeah, that whole Oppositional Defiant Disorder crap makes me want to shit my pants and feed it to the nearest Psychologist.

Its almost funny....like I am hoping that someone will stand up and say, "Oh yeah! It was all a bad joke that stuf about calling teen defiance a disorder!" oops!  Like I just cant believe that someone could use that term with a straight face.

::fullofshit::