Author Topic: celebrity trivia  (Read 2152 times)

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
celebrity trivia
« on: March 04, 2009, 02:24:52 AM »
I'm still trying to figure this out...

I would assume that there is some kid of a celebrity out there who was sent to a non-CEDU program, but it seems that for some reason, CEDU was the preferred dumping ground for famous folks' offspring.

I'm wondering why this would be the case, and I think the answer could be contingent on who the first celeb CEDUNK/RMANK was? (I'm talking preexisting celebrity, not joe francis)

Cause if it was Barbara Walters' daughter, that *could* explain some things. What better, more "reliable" referral than a famous telejournalist and tv personality?

Was there anyone before her?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: celebrity trivia
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 09:49:28 AM »
I was there in 78 and there were celebrity kids then. I don't think it's fair to name names, I sure don't want CEDU on my resume so I have to assume they don't either.

Offline mad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 11:59:53 AM »
There were children of celebrities there before and after Barbara Walter's daughter attended.  Like the other poster though, I think it is up to the children of celebrities to name their names -- not ours.
n the road of experience...

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 06:54:40 PM »
well, I wasnt interested in names, really. Im more interested in if anyone has any ideas or theories as to why cedu took a disproportionate amount of celebrity kids.

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 07:06:29 PM »
I have no idea if this holds water, but perhaps Hollywood's relative proximity to Synanon--both West Coast, anyway.

Auntie Em
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 09:40:04 PM »
possibly, but then why send your kid to one of the satellite schools, such as idaho?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 10:38:54 PM »
I think it has a lot more to do with marketing and retention. Hyde School has also had its share of celebrity kids starting back in the late 60s/early 70s, and they are geographically located about as far from Hollywood as you can get.

Every parent would prefer to say their kid is at a place that also has kids of parents who are very famous, very rich, or very smart. It appeals to the latent elitism more or less present in most of us.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 03:43:05 AM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
I think it has a lot more to do with marketing and retention. Hyde School has also had its share of celebrity kids starting back in the late 60s/early 70s, and they are geographically located about as far from Hollywood as you can get.

Every parent would prefer to say their kid is at a place that also has kids of parents who are very famous, very rich, or very smart. It appeals to the latent elitism more or less present in most of us.

Interesting in that hyde also has workshops similar so cedu's. Specifically, the imagine  propheet.

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 12:07:03 PM »
I was just thinking they might be more likely to have heard about CEDU than other options. I agree with Ursus about marketing and retention. As to sending them to Idaho, it's far enough to have the kid really away from your life, but close enough to make it seem accessible. Just speculating.

Em
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offline mad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 12:00:45 PM »
The celebrity and other wealthy parents I talked with (maybe 10 parents in all), about why they sent their kids to Cedu schools, had a more pedestrian explanation.  There were very few options available to them that weren't inpatient psychiatric units.  So, for those parents who wanted their kids to get intensive residential treatment (or were told by educational consultants that their kids needed it), the choice was often either Cedu/RMA or a hospital.  They choose the option with which they had felt more comfortable.  In my case, my parents heard about RMA from a co-worker whose daughter had been one of the original RMA students -- she had come to Idaho from Cedu in California.

Best, M
n the road of experience...

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 06:48:51 AM »
Right, and that might have been the case, but from the 80s on several chains and TBS franchises have sprung up, yet for some reason, celebs still gravitate towards CEDU. That's kind of my question. Why cedu and not aspen, wwasps, hyde, straight, etc.