Author Topic: parent from ivy ridge  (Read 4574 times)

Offline wesfager

• View Profile
    • http://www.thestraights.com
parent from ivy ridge
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2003, 10:07:00 AM »
I would like to talk to any real survivors (parent or child) of Ivy Ridge.

Thank you,

Wes Fager
Oakton, Va
http://www.thestraights.com
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
es Fager
www.thestraights.com

\"If David Miscaviage can go to his deposition as Admiral Farragut, then Keith Henson can go as Bozo the Clown.\"  Wes Fager

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
parent from ivy ridge
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2003, 10:57:00 AM »
re: let them get their GED?

So if they go to a WWASP school they do better than a GED, right? Well, not exactly....

Go to a WWASP institution and check how the "classes" are actually being taught.  To summarize,  what one faction might describe as "...the leading edge of alternative education" are essentially just correspondence courses stuck into a classroom.  The kids can work at their own pace  because they're just going through canned workbook-based courses.  If they progress,  great.  If they don't progress, well, just a few more $3,000 checks and they'll start working the program.

If the particular material is too difficult for them,  they don't have to worry about some teacher pressuring them to catch up with the class.  WWASP schools provide few if any teachers on site.

WWASP proudly touts that its "schools" are accredited by the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges.   (Gaw-leee, Zeb!  Thet sure mus' be some mighty fine book larnin'...)
Do any amount of research on the subject of home schooling and you'll discover that many state universities offer high school credit extension course for $85 to $135 each (here in the west,  U. of Arizona,  UC-Berkeley and U. of Nevada, Reno, to name a few.)  Guess what?  The credits earned in these study-at-home courses ARE ALSO ACCREDITED BY THE NORTHWEST ASSOCIATION OF SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES!  Same course content, same credit, same degree of dignity.

Consequently,  I am now proud to tout the fact that my kitchen table is now an institution of secondary education,  fully accredited by the the same standard setting organizations as schools costing thousands of dollars more per month.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
parent from ivy ridge
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2003, 12:51:00 PM »
Good try, PURE.  Getting a LOT defensive, are we??

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
parent from ivy ridge
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2003, 04:33:00 AM »
Actually from experience as a homeschooler who got his GED to make things run smoother, it is a very easy test. I went out for sushi in the middle of it and still scored among the highest in the state that year.

I think that starting in 8th grade, students should take the GED and if they pass they get to go on to bigger and better things than highschool which for probably around 1/3 of the people who go is a complete waste of time academically.

I know now that I could have passed the GED around age 9

[ This Message was edited by: FaceKhan on 2003-08-08 01:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: FaceKhan on 2003-08-08 01:34 ]
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
parent from ivy ridge
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2003, 03:39:00 PM »
On 2003-08-05 17:46:00, Deborah wrote:

"This is Fornits isn't it? Yep, there for a minute I thought I must have hit the Struggling Teens link. Was that you, Red Hot Mama, or one of your visionary cohorts?

GINGER !!

I'm sure you see what is going on here. The first post [apologies to the family if this is a true account] sounds like an advertisement for Ivy Ridge built around one of those "pass it on" emails we all get.

Please !! Spare us. Even Lon XXXXXs out the name of the program. I think you should also XXXXX out any comment or reference to "program".

Deborah

Hey there, Deb,
  Yes, this is Fornits. No, I don't read every post and it's a very, very rare thing for me to ever edit or delete any. WWASPies and any other of our brainwashed bretheren are just as welcome to post here as anyone. The primary difference between this open forum and other not-so-open forums is that posters are also equally entitled to whatever responses their words might inspire.

In that spirit, I'd like to respond to this.
" What the hell is DXM and how can Robitussin kill you?"  

DXM is a powerful SchedIV drug, available in various over-the-counter cough suppresant and/or expectorant preperatins. Like Marijuana, DXM can make you feel all goofy and trouble free for a time. Unlike Marijuana, which is a SchedI drug, DXM can kill you.

It makes me very sad when kids pay the ultimate price for our foolishness. But if you've already carried the lie to your kid that marijuana is a highly dangerous, addictive drug and they've found out for themselves that you're full of shit, you are not going to be able to convince them that the stuff Grandma gave them for their cough and sniffly nose when they were kids is really dangerous. They'll either have to do the research on their own, find out from the headlines when some other kid dies from it or the may be the one to sacrifice themselves for the benefit of the other kids who are paying enough attention to get wind of this particular danger.

I hope ya'll have learned from your mistakes and will no proceed to teach your children that Big Brother isn't watching out for their health and safety. Big Brother is essentially just another perverted voyeur.

For the community to have 10% to 25% of its men unable to vote or unable to access credit or other privileges of citizenship for the rest of their lives in some states creates a permanently diminished
group within society.
http://www.urban.org/authors/travis.html' target='_new'>Jeremy Travis, Urban Institute

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline laura1

• View Profile
parent from ivy ridge
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2003, 06:08:00 PM »
DXM is not a scheduled drug-- scheduled drugs cannot be sold over the counter!!!!

Of course, few people know it, but tylenol (acetominophen) is actually one of the most deadly liver-destroying drugs around-- the lethal dose is not far from the effective dose.  This is why it is now labeled to suggest that alcoholics and others with liver damage shouldn't use it.  More people die from Tylenol OD's than from most illicit drug OD's-- it is commonly used in completed suicides for this reason.  Of course, if you do happen to live but have profound liver damage, you'll probably want to die even more than before because it makes you feel poisoned all the time and nauseous.

In fact, the danger from using high doses of some OTC meds that include DXM often comes from the Tylenol, not the DXM itself.

Anyway, few people go around trying to ban the stuff because it's a very useful painkiller but it points out the absurdity of our drug laws that you can buy this OTC and it can easily kill you but will go to prison for marijuana, which cannot kill.

I'd like to see a news account related to this supposed DXM death-- then I might believe this story.  Though I still wouldn't believe the element of WWASP preventing anyone from OD'ing since there is no evidence that kids who go through WWASP do any better than kids left alone to grow out of their problems-- and suggestive evidence that they do worse.

Offline laura1

• View Profile
parent from ivy ridge
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2003, 06:25:00 PM »
Note from admin to all
Just FYI, folks, if you post under a registered username and are able to edit a message, you may also delete it by checking the "delete this message" box next to the post.

Now, that said, I don't know what was in this message of why laura1 decided to wipe it out. So this is not a commentary on that.

[ This Message was edited by: laura1 on 2003-09-15 15:26 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
parent from ivy ridge
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2003, 06:26:00 PM »
A search of the main news database turns up no DXM death that could match this story of an eighteen-year-old kid dying during 2002.  There was a death of a 22 year old Iowa State university student in early 2003; there were two toddlers OD'd by a parent trying to get them to sleep and several near-misses, but those were the only deaths from DXM in that time period.  Of course, the person could have kept it out of the papers-- but this is unlikely and deaths of youth by drugs are usually picked up by media both locally and beyond, usually accompanied by "signs of use" and "what parents can do" stories.

The person is writing fiction -- and they claim the *kids* are manipulative!!!!!!

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
parent from ivy ridge
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2003, 06:38:00 PM »
On 2003-09-15 15:08:00, laura1 wrote:

"DXM is not a scheduled drug-- scheduled drugs cannot be sold over the counter!!!!

Well, I'll be! You're right! This is news to me
(g) Exclusion of non-narcotic substances sold over the counter without a prescription; dextromethorphan; exemption of substances lacking abuse potential

(1) The Attorney General shall by regulation exclude any non-narcotic substance from a schedule if such substance may, under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (21 U.S.C. 301 et seq.), be lawfully sold over the counter without a prescription.

(2) Dextromethorphan shall not be deemed to be included in any schedule by reason of enactment of this subchapter unless controlled after October 27, 1970 pursuant to the foregoing provisions of this section.

http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/pubs/csa/811.htm#g

Just another nail in the coffin, eh? MJ, which never killed anyone exept when a bail of it fell on their head during transport, is still Sched I while this deadly toxin is not even Sched V!

I'd like to see a news account related to this supposed DXM death-- then I might believe this story.  Though I still wouldn't believe the element of WWASP preventing anyone from OD'ing since there is no evidence that kids who go through WWASP do any better than kids left alone to grow out of their problems-- and suggestive evidence that they do worse."

It's actually getting to be sort of common. I think there was a case early last summer right here around Greensburgh. Naturally, the authorities are hot on the trail of whoever they deem should have had the kid locked down to the point where he didn't have access to cough medicine instead of taking responsibility for their implicit assurance that legal drugs can't hurt you.

Just do a google search on "Dextromethorphan death" (without the quotes)

Fresh beauty opens one's eyes wherever it is really seen, but the very abundance and completeness of the common beauty that besets our steps prevents its being absorbed and appreciated. It is a good thing, therefore, to make short excursions now and then to the bottom of the sea among dulse and coral, or up among the clouds on mountain-tops, or in balloons, or even to creep like worms into dark holes and caverns underground, not only to learn something of what is going on in those out-of-the-way places, but to see better what the sun sees on our return to common everyday beauty.
-- John Muir

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
parent from ivy ridge
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2003, 07:41:00 PM »
seems to me that the purpose of this story could be much the same as Straight putting a picture of a teen corpse on a gurney on the fron of their newsletter....

you did the right thing...keep em here....remember without the divine help of these programs your children would be dead.

Only evil uses fear to further their agenda