Author Topic: Many Parents Reluctant to Place Daughters?  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Many Parents Reluctant to Place Daughters?
« on: September 16, 2003, 11:40:00 AM »
http://www.strugglingteens.com/cgi-bin/ ... 1;t=000303

My name is Jacqueline Danforth and I am the Owner and Founder of New Horizons Wilderness Program in Maine. We are an all girls program. I have a question for parents of teenage daughters that are in this forum. I wanted to know what you feel your daughter needs and what type of program you feel you are looking for. The reason I ask this is because I have found that since I was a struggling teen and placed in a program in this industry in the 80's, many parents are reluctant to place their daughters in programs that may be beneficial to their emotional growth.... Is it due to the wilderness program stigma? If so, I would like to know. I would also like to say that I consider our program a "wilderness program" and even though it has that name so many people that have visited have been surprised at what my definition of a wilderness program is... "wilderness program" is not a label anymore, but a small and important piece of a childs space to reflect... There are many types of programs that parents and referring sources need to investigate. Labels are just that...labels. The outdoors helps so many children and if the stigma of "outdooors" or "wilderness" prevents parents and referring sources from leading families to these programs, we need to take a deep look at how we judge a book by its cover.

I know many outdoor programs that are here to dedicate and guide our future leaders with respect and safety.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2003, 03:05:00 AM »
I think parents are right to be reluctant and suspicious since the industry is so unregulated and the consequences for making the wrong choice are so devastating and irreversible.

This is not exactly the place to do market research anyways. Most people here are not going to recieve you well as they have already had aformentioned bad experience with programs.

My advice, hire only college educated, qualified and licensed staff. Post their documented credentials as well as a breakdown of all costs involved in the program and what those monies go towards. Screen and background check all potential hires in all 50 states and give them personality exams designed to weed out potential abusers. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

In addition make clear as to what kinds of problems you can and can't handle. You can't mix serious drug addicts with kids who have trouble in school and girls who have a history of abuse. That is one of the fatal flaws in almost all of these programs. If you claim to treat drug addiction, then you better have certified and licensed drug counselors or your just a fraud like the rest of the industry.

If programs had to follow strict, enforced, regulations, groups like WWASP and CEDU(Brown Schools) would no longer be torturing teens for fun and profit.

The war we fight is not against powers or principalities. It is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender.

[ This Message was edited by: FaceKhan on 2003-09-17 00:10 ]
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2003, 12:17:00 PM »
My daughter is neither teen nor struggling, but I do have a friend of a friend stuck in one of these programs, and one of the problems is that the teen's adult friends all believe the *mother* is a fruit loop---and mistrust her to pick a good program.  The program has been in a squabble with state child protective services without complying.  The program cuts off the child's mail to and from non-family as a matter of routine.  The program has been alleged by a former cook to use adequate nutrition as a "reward" the child has to earn.

If you want a good program, copy Outward Bound and have the girls given good training and good equipment in the outdoor recreations they'll be taking on, do nothing to break the girls down---the confidence and expanded worldview from solving the solvable physical challenges of hiking, camping, etc. was what did the good in that program.  Be careful with your hires and open with where the fees go---another poster has offered good advice.

Do not interfere with the girls' incoming or outgoing mail.  Do not tell the family and friends that all the girls are liars when/if they complain about the program.  Do not assume the girls are lying to you or their parents if they complain about your staff.  Investigate each allegation as if the girl *may* be telling the truth, even though *some* of your participants will probably be manipulative and dishonest, if an employee is telling you *all* of them are----get rid of that employee.

Do not promise miraculous results.  Get a good licensed psychyatrist to teach your staff about Stockholm Syndrome and PTSD and how to *avoid* inducing them.  Get a good licensed psychiatrist to teach your staff about warning signs for serious mental illness and *either* get such girls out of your program *or* see that they get treatment from a qualified, *licensed* professional and make reports of dates and times of regular appointments with that licensed professional to the parents.

Have the MMPI administered to each girl entering your program so that you can identify if she has underlying serious problems.  Have each girl entering your program get a physical from a doctor before the program begins so you are aware of any underlying medical conditions.

Have all of your staff read and pass a test on a good post-mind-control book like _Releasing the Bonds_ (forget the author's name).  It should help them learn and understand what *not* to do.  Do not tolerate use of mind control tactics by your staff members.  Do not force the girls to engage in psychotherapy or any facsimile thereof--group encounter sessions, rap sessions, whatever---do not force them to "open up" their personal feelings to each other or your staff.  Allow them the dignity of the privacy of their own minds if they choose to preserve it, with *no* rewards for opening up or consequences for not.  Not even approval/disapproval from the staffer---and the staffer needs to know to step on approval/disapproval of therapy-like participation by a girl's peers in the program.

You will not achieve apparent miracles in your graduates this way----but you will *also* not have Stockholm Syndrome and its aftereffects showing up in your graduates years down the road, and you will have long-term positive results from the girls' experiences of success overcoming wilderness challenges (climbing a mountain, crossing a stream, putting up a tent)---you want to set them up to succeed and build on each success with a new achievable challenge---and have your staff trained to prompt them when and only when necessary so that they *do* succeed, but are responsible themselves for as much of the success as possible.

Your good results come from the experience of success as part of a team, at real challenges, but if they start to fail, you have to have the staff intervene with *just enough* help to get them over the hump.

You won't get miraculous "too good to be true" results, but you will get modest *permanent* and non-damaging results in most girls.

Julie Cochrane
BS, Psychology, Georgia Tech, 1990

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 12:36:00 PM »
Oh----on noncompliance among the girls.  Do not accept involuntary enrollees.  Present the program to the girls as something they will probably enjoy.  Deal with refusal to participate with a system of demerits, do not give the demerits casually, avoid giving one if you can persuade the girl to participate without giving it.  Allow the girls to choose (or not) to work off demerits with extra camp chores.  If they get too many demerits, send them home and refund their parents unused/unspent sums of their fee.

If the girls know up front that they will be sent home (ultimately) for refusal to participate, and that this is a good, fun, neat experience they will miss out on, then the girls who stay and complete the program are going to be the girls you have buy-in from----which will enhance the working of the program for them, as will *not* having the presence of girls who are being coerced to be there.

If each evening includes stamps, paper, envelopes, pens, and the *opportunity* but not the requirement to write and send letters, and incoming mail call is at least once a week, you will prevent the girls from having the experience of involuntary isolation necessary for Stockholm Syndrome to happen.

You may want to show the girls an introductory video that *honestly* presents to the new girls the good time prior batches of girls have had, and the uplifting feeling from learning they could do more than they thought they could.  There will naturally be skepticism, but most of them will be interested despite themselves and will at least grudgingly (at first) participate.

The incremental experience of personal and team success and competence is the aspect of the program that does the work of making positive changes in the minds and hearts of the girls.

Julie

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2003, 01:18:00 PM »
I agree with what was posted previously.  If you really want to help, make sure that ALL your staff are licensced, certified, and that those licenses and certifications are displayed and that parents/guardians are aware of them.

I'd also suggest not cutting off children from families.  Don't just assume that every child admitted is "guilty" or "evil" or whatever other label others might give them.  Human dignity goes an awful long way to getting through, lots farther than condemnation and cutting what self-esteem a kid might have.

Demerits are a wonderful concept.  I remember them from high school, different activities that I participated in used demerits, and although it didn't prevent us from messing up, we were aware that there was a chance of regrouping after mistakes, that one setback was not going to prevent us from participating.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2003, 02:17:00 PM »
In case you posters aren't aware, the above message was posted at Struggling Teens. If you want to respond to her you'll have to click the link and do it there.
Danforth is Barbara Walters adopted daughter who opened her own program after attending one.
Deborah
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700