Author Topic: Kathy S  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Kathy S
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:26:20 AM »
Just a troll, or what?

An actual parent, someone here to defend programs (like TheWho), or both?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Kathy S
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 02:34:19 PM »
She's an ed-con (she freely admits this).  She doesnt' argue like the who (doesn't go around in circles). so I'm inclined to believe it's not him.  She's the real deal.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Miss Antsy Pam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 10:26:07 AM »
Hi Kathy,

I was kind of waiting until this discussion made it on to its own thread and out of the Obama thread!  I am a parent of a former detainee at Casa by the Sea - my son was there for 60 days until I pulled him from the program. I have been following the discussion on the other thread and I would love to have a discussion with you about the pro/con of these programs.  Psy says that you are not the typical Ed-Con so I will offer you an open mind that can accept an opposing view point.  

BTW...did you ever give us the name of a "good program" other than the BFA?  If there are any good ones out there, I would love to know about them.  What was done to my son in such a short time is/was a travesty from which we will both never fully recover!  Our past experiences have made us both very wary of people who promise things that cannot be reasonably delivered.

Something changed along the way with residential treatment facilities and specialty boarding schools when it became commission driven and actively marketed to desperate parents looking for help.  This is not a problem that is unique to only the whole BM industry, but has now crossed over into respectable dual diagnosis facilities here in the U.S.

When did substance abuse problems and mental disorders become a marketable source of income...commission driven???  To me, this is beyond appalling!  Parents seeking to help their teen manipulated into signing contracts and shelling out $35,000 for 30 days of "treatment" and then a step down process of extended care at $5k per month.  Then another $15k for sober living for 6 months.  Something is terribly wrong with this business model...after all we are dealing with HUMAN BEINGS not pieces of paper with someone's name on it...these are our children!
United we stand....divided....we fail!

Offline Miss Antsy Pam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 10:53:56 AM »
I am not sure if this is relevant to the discussion, but I wanted to let you know that I am a Corporate Consultant for many different clients - some of my work involves executive interventions where substance abuse has been a documented problem in the workplace.  Needless to say that these interventions are NOT forcing someone into rehab, it merely states a problem and offers solutions to the problem at hand.  Help from the company is ALWAYS offered and the company usually foots the entire bill for the rehab and for my services.

Each situation is unique and requires a MEDICAL assessment and there is no "one size fits all" program.  I work with many facilities and make recommendations to executive staff when I find a facility that matches well with the need of the particular individual.  I have been doing about 2-3 placement per year for the past 5 years.  My record is 10/12 met with success.  The other 2 relapsed within the first 2 months and were fired after 1 year post rehab.  I do not deal with adolescents unless it is my own kid or someone close to me.

Up until the last few years, I found that the people who man the hotlines are NOT certified addiction counselors or any other ADEQUATELY trained person in the field of substance abuse or addiction.  They are telemarketers - just like any others we encounter in our day to day lives.  This change in the tides of offering help has been severely diluted by these marketing schemes and it saddens me greatly!

I look forward to hearing from you. :peace:
~pam
United we stand....divided....we fail!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 11:22:26 AM »
Quote from: "Miss Antsy Pam"
BTW...did you ever give us the name of a "good program" other than the BFA? If there are any good ones out there, I would love to know about them. What was done to my son in such a short time is/was a travesty from which we will both never fully recover! Our past experiences have made us both very wary of people who promise things that cannot be reasonably delivered.
Hi miss antsy Pam, I recall I mentioned 3 or 4 originally, I dont know which area I posted it in but I could put them out again if you like.  I can imagine that you would be very wary after having a bad experience.  I am sorry your son was sent there.  Did you get the assistance of an educational consultant prior to placement?  How is your son doing now, is he thru his crisis.

Something changed along the way with residential treatment facilities and specialty boarding schools when it became commission driven and actively marketed to desperate parents looking for help. This is not a problem that is unique to only the whole BM industry, but has now crossed over into respectable dual diagnosis facilities here in the U.S.
From my experience they have expanded greatly over the past couple of decades but they have been around for at least a century or more.

When did substance abuse problems and mental disorders become a marketable source of income...commission driven???
I don’t really know the early beginnings of the industry but there have been commissions paid back into the early 1980’s based on people I have spoken to in the industry.

To me, this is beyond appalling! Parents seeking to help their teen manipulated into signing contracts and shelling out $35,000 for 30 days of "treatment" and then a step down process of extended care at $5k per month.
I saw a educational consultant myself when I was in high school.  I spent all day taking this test and then the woman discussed possible careers that I would be interested in or a good fit based on my interests and academics.  With so many specialty schools out there there is a greater need to have a consultant who can match the student up with the right school or program.  It has evolved out of need not just greed.  If you come across a person who is manipulative you should report them.  There are basic ethics which should be followed in this business.

Then another $15k for sober living for 6 months. Something is terribly wrong with this business model...after all we are dealing with HUMAN BEINGS not pieces of paper with someone's name on it...these are our children!
I do agree that the prices are high.  There are local services which work very well with the public school system and 30 day programs which are a good match for some people.  I wouldn’t suggest jumping into a boarding school situation without looking at other options first.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 02:23:14 PM »
Quote from: "Miss Antsy Pam"
I am not sure if this is relevant to the discussion, but I wanted to let you know that I am a Corporate Consultant for many different clients - some of my work involves executive interventions where substance abuse has been a documented problem in the workplace.  Needless to say that these interventions are NOT forcing someone into rehab, it merely states a problem and offers solutions to the problem at hand.  Help from the company is ALWAYS offered and the company usually foots the entire bill for the rehab and for my services.

Each situation is unique and requires a MEDICAL assessment and there is no "one size fits all" program.  I work with many facilities and make recommendations to executive staff when I find a facility that matches well with the need of the particular individual.  I have been doing about 2-3 placement per year for the past 5 years.  My record is 10/12 met with success.  The other 2 relapsed within the first 2 months and were fired after 1 year post rehab.  I do not deal with adolescents unless it is my own kid or someone close to me.

Up until the last few years, I found that the people who man the hotlines are NOT certified addiction counselors or any other ADEQUATELY trained person in the field of substance abuse or addiction.  They are telemarketers - just like any others we encounter in our day to day lives.  This change in the tides of offering help has been severely diluted by these marketing schemes and it saddens me greatly!

I look forward to hearing from you. :peace:
~pam

Thanks for the background info.  Our businesses are very similar.  I work mostly with adolescents and their parents which cover the entire spectrum of problems from substance problems to minor academic problems and I agree with you that there are no one size fits all solution.  Each child has a unique need.  I am sorry to hear about the 2 that were not successful, but it probably wasnt their time to heal, there is only so much that you can do.  The important thing is that you presented them with the opportunity to face the issue and that will come back to them in time and benefit them later on.  So they were still successes.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 07:40:06 PM »
“Kathy” is by the Good Folks who brought Us "thewho." New-Who has a better excuse for coming here now: it's a "edcon," not an inexplicably obsessed with fornits program-parent. It shares thewho's feelings that any of Aspen Programs are great! And it has the same bewilderment over terms like "gulag"  "abduction" and "imprisonment". Oh...they're so confusing! What could they possibly mean? Maybe we could stop using those words?
 It also understand why victims of abduction, and imprisonment torture “don’t like” “schools” that hold their “students” prisoner. How generous! But don't we understand, the leaders of the gulags that organized our torture and brainwashing from inception to as long as 5 whole years ago, have reorganized and now provide wonderful services? Well, They said so!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 07:52:42 PM »
Couldn't agree with you more on this one. Methinks it's "All in the Family." Is it one younger sister or two?

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 08:15:37 PM »
Actually everything Kathy says I have heard out of the mouths of my mother's friends and often my mother as well. I don't think shes a troll, and I wasnt around to experience "TheWho" myself but I'm not surprised that they would share similar views because these views seem to be unanimous within the "pro-program" cult. I can't say I haven't at some point fed into the "conspiracy theories" that run rampant around Fornits, but some of these are a tid bit laughable ya know?
[size=150]When Injustice Becomes Law
...Rebellion Becomes Duty...[/size]

[size=150]WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES
CAN I HAVE YOUR FLAT SCREEN?[/size]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 08:22:50 PM »
Quote from: "FemanonFatal2.0"
Actually everything Kathy says I have heard out of the mouths of my mother's friends and often my mother as well. I don't think shes a troll, and I wasnt around to experience "TheWho" myself but I'm not surprised that they would share similar views because these views seem to be unanimous within the "pro-program" cult. I can't say I haven't at some point fed into the "conspiracy theories" that run rampant around Fornits, but some of these are a tid bit laughable ya know?

Not being familiar with the level of who crazy, i can understand how you would feel that way. Thewho was a poster who posted night and day for many years, doing nothing but trolling for the industry, by drawing people into circular coversations, repeating the same thing, not talking, just provoking, distracting, derailing, ignoring, repeating..its hard to explain if you didn't see it. Anyway, He said the exact same stuff as this poster, and had a similar delivery, so that's where we get this theory.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 08:32:14 PM »
She is NOT the Who.  The Who would never have brought up FFS as an example.  He was there at the time of the second GAO hearing and knew that would be stepping in it.  IN addition, The Who was far better at running around in circles and not answering questions.  Kathy answers the questions, for the most part, which is something that TheWho never did.  Not every industry apologist is TheWho.  There are a lot of them, you know.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 09:00:33 PM »
We are not saying she is = TheWho, at least I'm not. But TheWho has "his team", ya know? Prolly has one or two family members involved, hmmm? Anyway, I wouldn't put it past him to stick an obvious clunker in the mix to throw the wolves off the scent. Kinda like saying his kid was a "daughter", get the drift...?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 12:03:10 PM »
KathyS is TheWho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!