Author Topic: But I never do terrible things...  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
But I never do terrible things...
« on: January 22, 2009, 08:14:56 AM »
During my morning readings I came across something I thought very interesting, and hauntingly famliar. At first I read this:

"Please don't hurt others...
Please try to work with people and be helpful to them.
A fantastically large number of people need help.
Please try to help them, for goodness sake, for heaven and earth.
Don't just collect Oriental wisdoms one after the other.
Don't just sit on an empty zafu, an empty meditation cushion.
But go out and try to help others, if you can.
That is the main point...
Your help doesn't have to be a big deal.
To begin with, just work with your friends and work with yourself at the same time.
It is about time we became responsible for this world."
Chogyam Trungpa

Then immediately following it gave two psycological/sociaological experiments. It reads as follows:

"1. Please take some time to reflect on a famous scientific experiment done in 1963 by Stanley Milgram:
Test persons came after an advertisement: "Join a memory experiment, one hour for 4 dollars". It was explained that the people were the "Master" of the experiment, and the "real" test person was in another room, connected to electroshock equipment. The research was to verify if people learn better when being punished. Whenever the other gave a wrong answer to a question, the Master should push a button to give a shock. To clarify what the other person was undergoing, the Master was given an very unpleasant shock of 45 volts. Every time when the other person would answer wrongly, shock must be given, 15 Volts higher than the previous one, from 15 to 450 Volts. The other person could be heard, and would be screaming and banging the walls at shocks over 300 volts. At the highest voltages, the other could not be heard anymore.
The crux of the experiment: the "other person" in the room next door was an actor, not receiving any shocks at all, the real test persons were the masters giving the shocks and the experiment was about how far they would be prepared to go.
The truly shocking about this experiment was that two-thirds of the test persons would continue (though often sweating and nervous) after some simple assurances from the test leader that they should continue in order to make the test work, until the maximum shock of 450 Volts was given. This means that as much as two-thirds of people are potential torturers who merely need a little encouragement and 4 dollars per hour! The experiment did not clarify if people are really bad, or just easily convinced by a man in a white coat, but it does make one think....

2. If you think the above is not representative of normal human behaviour; please reflect on the following equally disturbing experiment. (Recently a German movie; 'Experiment' was made inspired by the findings of this experiment.)
About 30 years ago, Professor Philip Zimbardo carried out this experiment in Stanford University.
24 Students were put in a fictional prisonward (set up in the university) and divided into two groups. The 'guards' became a uniform, a batton, handcuffs and dark sunglasses. The 'prisoners', merely dressed in shirts were put into cells. The professor intended to observe them for 2 weeks via videocameras. However, already after 6 days the experiment needed to be stopped, as the guards treated the prisoners awful - the experiment had become dreadfully serious.
To quote from the conclusion: "We had created an overwhelmingly powerful situation -- a situation in which prisoners were withdrawing and behaving in pathological ways, and in which some of the guards were behaving sadistically."

The "experiment" can be followed here http://www.prisonexp.org/

The reading ended with a quote:

"Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard - call it conscience - not just according to society's knowledge and judgment of your deeds."
His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Of course I think I find this intriquing because yesterday 1/21/09 was my 31st anniversary....and it was a sluggish, miserable day. I wonder about the people who I sat in group with, and I recall the staff. I also thought of Rich Mulinax's public LOA. It is still rather early and I have to get things moving...to make up for yesterday. As such I have not throughly formed any opinions, yet I can feel the unrest in a vague but undeniable way.

It's amasing to me how we treat other people, and do so feeling fully justified in our action....Whats your take on this?

Much Healing
In Peace
woof
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
What is right is not always popular...What is popular is not always right

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Re: But I never do terrible things...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 11:28:46 AM »
Quote from: "Woof-a-Doof"
"Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard - call it conscience - not just according to society's knowledge and judgment of your deeds."
His Holiness the Dalai Lama
"It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a sick society."
-Krishnamurti, I think.

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 01:26:03 AM »
"I am for the death penalty. Who commits terrible acts must get a fitting punishment. That way he learns the lesson for the next time."
-Britney Spears
[size=150]When Injustice Becomes Law
...Rebellion Becomes Duty...[/size]

[size=150]WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES
CAN I HAVE YOUR FLAT SCREEN?[/size]

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 07:25:16 AM »
What, How these articles (experiments) struck me as, was a semi-viable reasoning/rationale for behaviours of Staff, Fith phasers and increasing as we went thru our phases. Obviously, these two examples are not all encompassing, and don't completely explain the phenomina of excalating power  and abuse of that power over a group of teenagers already brow beaten, belitteled, fatiqued from 12-14 hours aday (or more). As a group, collectively and individually, we were exposed to sleep dep., food and water restrictions, bathroom restictions. invasion of privacy and the list goes on.

Point is, many people in a position of power continued thier quest...perhaps against thier own concious. Yet continued to do so "after some simple assurances from the test leader that they should continue in order to make the test (program) work". That particular study/experiment showed 2/3 of people are potential torturers who merely needed a little encouragment and $4 an hour. "The experiment did not clarify if people are really bad, or just easily convinced by a man in a white coat (or in our case an embassador, executive staff, BOD, and mildly charismatic sickos), but it does make one think.... "

This does not justify the atorcities that were daily occurrences, yet to me it says if 2/3 of the staff were not only potential torturers, (point blank torturers) but that approximately 1/3 of the power, were not torturers. Which brings me back to Rich Mullinax's LOA. Seen Here ( viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26480 ) I don't know Rich, or how he beaved as a staff member. Perhaps he was in that 2/3 percentile at one time., Yet somehow, over a period of time, he eased over to the 1/3 percetile. That is he grew to be remorseful. Or perhaps he was in th e 1/3 percentile to begin with...this, I really don't know.

Rather than $4 an hour, the motavation (twisted as it was) seemed to be, the more sadistic, confrontive,belitteling, berating, condescending one was, this showed how "Straight" they had become. And of course there were no checks and balances...there was no one in a white coat to call off the experiment...for us it was a reality, day in and day out.

These experiments are not all inclusive to our experiance, yet it doesn't take a huge stretch of the imagination to see how they at least parrelled each other. Perhaps I am the only one who see's this correlation, which is ok. But it does explain alot to me. For instance, some staff, simply sucked ass. Some staff, it was clearly apparent that they struggled with thier position and authority...Differnt responces to an abusive environment. I am not excusing anyone here, but it is an observation  which to me, explains an awful lot. Especially pertaining to why some staff were douche bags and others seemed genuinely good people who didnt have a clue as to what they were doing. It's just that powers that be saw the potential in them to torture, humiliate and make conditions as miserable as possible. All they needed was a "little encouragement" to know they were "doing the right thing". Then, control and dominance was assurred.

Understanding our past, what took place, how it took place, the motivation and the rationale (as irrationale as it is) in regard to the staff is paramount in our efforts to heal. To gloss over it, to trivialize this is a mistake, I think. However to make a big fucking deal of it, it just as non-productive. Perhaps a balance.

Much Healing
In Peace
woof

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 09:46:08 AM »
In terms of choices and actions, that experiment will bear some resemblance and comparison to the Straight experiment/experience. However, it is not logical to make statistical inferences from one to the other. I would say, throw out the whole 1/3 - 2/3 inference.

Some key differences are, that experiment was conducted, for each individual "tested", in an afternoon. (correct?) Straight was day in day out, and for the first weeks or months of everyone who was in there, except some staff who had been hired on "from the outside", a person was in there 24/7. They were "broken down" to participate in their own "program" and other people's "programs". It was a whole encompassing culture, as in, no time for solitude, and, no "feedback" from other humans except those also in the program. That set-up continuing, even when the participants -- in this case, completely involuntary participants held captive, not given $4 an hour but told that even their own parents, their source of survival, didn't want them as they were -- had more time away from the strictest confines of the program and access to interaction with people not in the program, by the "lessons learned" earlier on, that being the point of the level system and the controlled and monitored* progression through it: to achieve control over the elephant such that a piece of string would suffice as well as the heaviest chain, and for the jailer to know when the strength of the actual chain could be decreased.

I would also like to say that while such an experiment might or might not be enlightening, the experiment is in and of itself cruel to the subject. I am saying that it is cruel to get people to choose to be cruel. Even if they are not factually inflicting pain on anyone else the act of cruelty is cruel to them. It hurts people to hurt people. So, the experiment is also therefore... something about the makers and the carry-outers of the experiment itself. It will be interesting to go back to source and see if there is more about what the "scientist-authority" was doing to garner "compliance" with the electrocuters, if they know what they are doing, and if they do know, whether they even reveal this in the published results. It is likely not at all as simple as it appears, or as it is made to appear. I therefore find the conclusions drawn to be pugnacious, and suspect. There is more to the story here, like the demographics of the subjects and anything else influencing them to obey authority rather than natural compassion, because, important to say here, there is plenty of consideration that humans are naturally compassionate. So, when people, as one can easily observe, have plenty of compassion, consideration, socially responsibility, and any such thing that would not allow them to inflict torture on another, what is happening when they are not these things, when they do torture? Again, more about the set-up of the experiment and the experimenters themselves than about the participants, I suspect. I do also suspect, as I am sure many would, that it reflects on improper training and culture theretofore. To be plain, if people in a certain society have been taught to obey the one with the bigger degree, the one in charge of the building, the one who "knows more" or "knows better" since their very early days, by tactics which would also be good to consider, they have that in them and bring it to the experiment. Again, a consideration of demographics advises skepticism as to just how much can conclude broadly about "human" nature rather than the nature of such a society in which the experiment was created and takes place.

* The institution, and the actors of the institution, controlled and monitored the prisoners using knowledge of how to control and monitor the prisoners. Some of this knowledge may have been instinctual, but some of it was known methods of how to break a person down in such a system and known signs of that breakdown. One need only refer to Senator Sam Ervin's 1974 testimony before Congress regarding The Seed, in which he discusses how the new victim is not allowed to participate or talk for three days, and how the perpetrators could read the ensuing breakdown in the expression and action of the victim. !

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 10:35:25 AM »
Further Discussion says: "to achieve control over the elephant such that a piece of string would suffice as well as the heaviest chain"

Excellent description FD. One thought I had after reading that is how does the chain, or pieces thereof, break off, or is it a permanent fixture? It seems like there's a piece of the chain still hanging on, rubbing, chafing, blocking  etc... It keeps getting caught on things, gets cold in the winter, hot in the summer sun, really, it never seems to be completely gone.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 10:40:43 AM »
Quote from: "further discussion"
In terms of choices and actions, that experiment will bear some resemblance and comparison to the Straight experiment/experience. However, it is not logical to make statistical inferences from one to the other. I would say, throw out the whole 1/3 - 2/3 inference.

I am not sure that Milgram's experiment was meant to be construed as identical or in any way entirely analogous to conditions at Straight; but perhaps I misunderstand you. I see it more as a small snapshot of how people can be made to obey, seemingly of their own volition. And that has relevance to conditions at Straight, as well as all other systems and programs of behavior modification.

Stanley Milgrams experiment was recently replicated, btw. Auntie Em posted it not long ago. Same outcome still held.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26461&p=322108#p322108

Here are Milgram's thoughts on his original experiment:
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=21675
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 05:03:41 PM »
Thank you for the links and discussion.

Regarding throwing out the 2/3 - 1/3 statistic, I was responding to the post just prior. I was saying it would not be right to draw statistical inferences, or any inferences, either to by-definition involuntary participants in program of behavior modification and thought reform, or to humans in general because the methods are faulty and the experiment is unethical and conclusions cannot stand on either of these.

You said, "I see it more as a small snapshot of how people can be made to obey, seemingly of their own volition." This is contradictory, of course, so maybe you are already seeing the same thing, regarding consideration of the true nature of the study and what it does and doesn't prove and of concerns which even academics in this field have had about it:

From the follow-up study, Replicating Milgram
Would People Still Obey Today?
Jerry M. Burger
Santa Clara University  http://www.apa.org/journals/releases/amp641-1.pdf  
'...most social psychologists appear to agree on one point. The obedience studies are a dramatic demonstration of how individuals typically underestimate the power of situational forces when explaining another person’s behavior."

The above quote means, put way more emphasis when considering the results on the situational forces than on "human nature" itself. All the study "proves" is that given a certain demographic of participants and all of the other factors of influence including those in charge and the nature of the what is going on, this is what you get.

Burger replicated Milgram's experiment only to a certain degree, and if the same outcomes still held it is because it is the same sort of social psychology pseudo-science, which is in fact exactly what he set out to do. Burger even acknowledges the unethicalities of the original experiment. While he modifies his own and makes nod to what is really happening, that this is not a study of what humans do but a study of what humans will do given such a set up, with some remarks to "situational forces," he still fails to properly talk about the fact that he is really the biggest factor, in that, he would carry out such an experiment. It does not matter that the shocks were not real, the whole pretense was that they were, making him a barbarian who has solicited people to participate in torture. He talks a whole lot -- in contradiction to his knowledge that the experiment is unethical, but now to a degree, he says, less than the original Milgram experiment and to his stated understanding about the situational forces -- about statistical personality and mental and other characteristics of his subjects as though those stats can be applied to drawing inferences from a study which is unethical and not actually studying what he is concluding that it studied. But of course, he is an academic, he was funded to do this study, he carried it out, it has to conclude something like what makes it look respectable.

I say the scientific method in these experiments is dubious because it is not the same as the strict scientific method at all. There is just too much else going on, too many variables not evened out. It is, at best, even if one could stomach the nature of the experiment itself, a very, very tiny foray into theory, data, and conclusion. It is TINY. Milgram was cruel and unethical, had a poor sampling, and made way too much of his results, as have so many others. Burger modified Milgram's experiment because he knows the original was too cruel, but he only modifies it slightly, his sampling is again dubious, and again, the conclusions are rot, especially given what Burger himself says in his own paper!

For specifics, consider a few things. There's all sorts of variables in the experiment, and I talked about the one of the whole big picture of the effect of authority on any given person in this society. "Science" itself is a really big authority figure. There are also variables here not accounted for that call for a very skeptical view of the conclusions, for example, who are they getting to be the torturers? $4 isn't a lot of money, so the demographics of the subjects are really very likely skewed. Then there is the population density of the area in which the study takes place, where the subjects in a big city might accurately presume that the person who (in their mind) is getting the shocks is not likely to be someone they know or would ever know. In Burger's follow-up study, the $50 for two 45-minute sessions is a more significant amount of money, but this is still a determinant of the demographics of the respondents. It is crucial to see these faults of the experiments because they invalidate conclusions anyone might draw like "2/3 of people can be made to torture." 2/3 of what people, under what circumstances. The offer and acceptance of money gives you a demographic and a factor of motivation, not a random sample. They are not obeying on pure volition, they might be obeying because they haven't had anything to eat yet, they are tired.  

In my previous post i was talking about the broad circumstances surrounding the entire experiment, and what i think is really important to get is that the scientists who put on this experiment are behaving cruelly to do so in the first place.

As for Milgram's own thoughts on his own violently sadistical experiment, a note at the end of his article (http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=21675) shows a disturbing sociopathology. He says, "The ethical problems of carrying out an experiment of this sort are too complex to be dealt with here, but they receive extended treatment in the book from which this article is taken." As if giving a nod to right and wrong makes what he did okay.

So if anyone wants to keep on referencing cruel experiments in an effort to admonish people to think and act for themselves, please stop. Please quit referencing them as though the scientists' conclusions say anything real about human nature, at all. Please stop referring to the subjects and start referring to the cruel scientist who knows darn well what he is doing, has had full opportunity for knowledge and consideration beforehand, does it anyway, and reports his findings as though they reflect on other people instead of on himself. But please do consider the value system of a society in which such a study could take place and be continually misunderstood as to what it actually is.

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 07:06:03 PM »
Further Discussion---It was not the intent of my post to give "statistical inferences". I am not trained as a statician, nor do I pretend to be. Apparently I did so when I said: "yet to me it says if 2/3 of the staff were not only potential torturers, (point blank torturers) but that approximately 1/3 of the power, were not torturers."  I really have no buisiness disussing numbers, especially, fractions...Let alone 'statistics'!

I would remiss if I didn't mention my complete lack of "scientific" experiance. Follow up, varification (spell check), are not my strong suits.

I agree, the cruelty to administer the test, alone speaks volumes. The aritcle spoke of men in "white coats", I envisioned specific staff members. When I thought of the administer, or whater the one is called that came up with the idea in the first place, I thought of Helen Peterman, Jim Hartz, Bill Case, and of course Mel & Betty Sembler.

So clearly, yes, I emotted my way thru the entire reading of the article. And I did so at about 5:30am.

People I watched going thru thier phases, people I knew. People that had gentile hearts, the abiity still to laugh, make others laugh would slowly work thier way into roles as staff members. I can not guess thier motives, thier intent or thier justifications...however, I can remember watching the unbrideled cruelty as other staff looked on with admiration, respect. At one point it was clear to me, the more a female could be a bitch, the faster she excellerated up the CoC. As with the males, the more of a unpredictable prick they could be, delevering swift immediate psedu-justice...the faster they climbed up the corpate ladder.

Something turned, some people into uncontrollable balls of seething rage and this was directed at less fortunate members of the group. Experiment, no experiment...I saw it happen. I was also on the recieving end of the same deluge of rage that hit so many like an emotional sunami. Sure the moron who did the experiments was whcked for doing the experiments. More importantly, the ones who did what was done to US, was just as fucked up, if not more so!

Further--- "So if anyone wants to keep on referencing cruel experiments in an effort to admonish people to think and act for themselves, please stop. Please quit referencing them as though the scientists' conclusions say anything real about human nature, at all. Please stop referring to the subjects and start referring to the cruel scientist who knows darn well what he is doing, has had full opportunity for knowledge and consideration beforehand, does it anyway, and reports his findings as though they reflect on other people instead of on himself. But please do consider the value system of a society in which such a study could take place and be continually misunderstood as to what it actually is.further discussion "

Feeling as tho I were the target of this paragraph, I will adress it.

1) My reference to the experiment was in no way to admonish anyone into thinking one way or another. It is an open forum, it is my personal healing that concerns me first and formost...I simply read an article, it piqued something inside, and I took liberty to expound upon it, in an open, unmoderated forum.

2) I rely on my own observations in regard to "human nature". I have no need for "scientfic", quackery, or staticians to act as my quiding light in the realm of human nature.

3) I was a "subject". I was incarceated in Straight Inc on Jan 21 1978. So, forgive me if that is my only point of reference. I can not imagine the evil that motavates such cruelty and to purposfully generate such wholesale suffering. I have but one story, it's the only one I got. I have but one perspective, stemming from one viewpoint...my own.

4) Considering, "the value system of a society in which such a study could take place and be continually misunderstood as to what it actually is" I can not help but to think how oxymoronic, to use the term 'value system' and "society" in the same sentence. While incarcerated in Straight Inc. that was the only society I knew. Because of fear, intimidation, blackmail, sleep dep, food restictions, no medical help, no legal help, no Hapius Corpus (sp). It is of little wonder that what was taking place was "continually misunderstood as to what it actually is", or better said....was.

Further Discussion--- I appreciate your counter point. Perhaps we are saying the same thing, but in different languages. Perhaps we are speaking from two seperate schools of thought and as result, we may be in total disagreement. Either way, I appreciate your candor, time and your patience.

Much Heaing
In Peace
woof

OBTW: Have you read 1984?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 11:37:51 AM »
i wasn't intending to target you at all. Probably you will understand as I think you kind of said it yourself, writing a post can turn in to more of a personal polemic, one gets carried away with one's own thoughts on the matter. And I couldn't target you specifically any more than I could target the religious source of your inspiration as stated in the first paragraph, nor, as I have learned is the case, all the sociology textbooks that contain this study as they would be considered incomplete without it.

One thing that really struck me is how the second study, the copycat study done years later, really purposefully tried to replicate the first study, yet within stricter boundaries because they knew it was a damaging, dangerous thing to do to people to have them even in fake electric shock another person. Without having researched to find out the exact parameters of wording and setting and all used in the first study that the second one replicated, I am simply intrigued by the thought that was is most important here, whether it is the intention of the so-called scientists, is the discovery of what it takes to be the torturer-in-charge. Do you see what I mean? I would like to know if you see what I mean so that if you (and by "you" I mean anyone who wishes to respond) don't see then I can try to explain better.

To further make my point... or to approach making my point... I am thinking recently of what counters the study, the "stats" of the study... One thing is, the image that was a photo or video of the U.S. military with all their might bringing relief to the aftermath of the 2004 Tsunami.

http://www.defenselink.mil/home/features/tsunami/

There is an organization that is "used" for powerfully destructive purposes, that is yet in this circumstance responding with loving, caring, supportive actions.

I am also thinking along the lines of, what it is that makes people "follow" an authority -- in the case of the studies we are discussing, an authority that compels torture -- and, so, what makes them create a counter-authority within themselves or with others. I would guess that not only did those scientist use certain tactics, tactics which I would not be surprised are at least one purpose, although probably a hidden purpose, of the study in the first place, but that "people" are set up, prior to involvement in such a "study" to respond to such tactics...

... and so, if you will think along with me... there was no room for the creation of a counter-authority in a totalitarian environment. I will assert some things I am not certain of, but suspicious of, that even the roles/actions of "misbehaver" or "rebellion" is simply used for the purposes of the totalitarian environment...

I have much more to follow into other territories here but I will leave off for now and look forward to responses.

Offline Mel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 11:44:43 AM »
Quote from: "FemanonFatal2.0"
"I am for the death penalty. Who commits terrible acts must get a fitting punishment. That way he learns the lesson for the next time."
-Britney Spears

LEEEAAVVEEE BRRIIITNNNEEEY ALLLOOOONE!

Am I the only person who got how funny this was?

I'm both a fan of Chogyam Trungpa and Britney. Is that a good example of balance?