Author Topic: "Sober House" on VH1  (Read 3333 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
"Sober House" on VH1
« on: January 17, 2009, 03:35:24 PM »
This show is on right now, looks like some kind of rehab show or something. but what's really funny is it's sponsored by the "drug free america foundation" and during commercials they run the laughable anti marijuana commercials. its run by a guy named drew , the guy from that radio show from way back when. should we go protest it and try go get on camera?
not sure if they use AA yet.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: "Sober House" on VH1
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 04:28:16 PM »
DFAF?  You mean Straight Inc, right.  Call a spade a spade.  Should we protest?  Absolutely!  Is it still filming?  Got a contact for VH1?  Maybe we should call em up and give em some information about DFAF.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Miss Antsy Pam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 07:18:20 AM »
Dr. Drew Pinsky is the owner and operator of Pasadena Recovery Center.  Pasadena of Rose Parade fame! Yes, they follow the AA model of indoctrination at his center.  Yes, there are actively filming with scenes from a Venice "outing" just last week.  He is a proponent of "disease concept" that Psy so detests.  They are pretty mum on the shooting schedule so a protest would be hard to organize for the filming part, but his center in Pasadena is still fair game.  I did hear that security there has been increased 10 fold since the first season of "celebrity rehab"
United we stand....divided....we fail!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 11:57:13 AM »
Well, according to Peele, our lord and savior... blah, blah, blah.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 01:15:12 PM »
Instead of "Sober house" they should be in Peele's Residential Program:

THE LIFE PROCESS PROGRAM ©!
http://www.stgregoryctr.com/
"Residential care is an important part of recovery" Is "it right for you or your loved ones"?
Prepare to be indoctrinated that you have a "dependancy" and a "disregard for consequences" and that you are unable to "recognize negetive consequences." You will be taught "life skills" and "behavior modification"

Use Stanton's  7 tools.
Values
Motivation
Rewards
Resources
Support
Maturity

Cause, Drugies don't have values.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 01:23:34 PM »
Quote from: "Miss Antsy Pam"
They are pretty mum on the shooting schedule so a protest would be hard to organize for the filming part, but his center in Pasadena is still fair game.  I did hear that security there has been increased 10 fold since the first season of "celebrity rehab"

What exactly will you protesting, Pam?

That d-list celebtrities and people who want to be on T.V. sign up for a reality show?

Or that a doctor favors a scientific model of addiction that Psy doesn't like, however incoveniently supported by pathologists' research on the brain.

Anyone else feel people are kinda going off on a tangent, here, inspired by some good-ole-emotional bond derived indocrtination, themslves?

If you wanted to protest the DEAF people, wouldn't a good idea be to go outside of MTV's televised space in TImes Square?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 01:48:50 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
If you wanted to protest the DEAF people, wouldn't a good idea be to go outside of MTV's televised space in TImes Square?

It's DFAF. (Drug Free America Foundation).  Which is the name Straight Inc. switched to.  There is good reason to protest them.  Among other things, they endorse programs such as Teen Challenge.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 02:14:23 PM »
Instead of "Sober house" they should be in Peele's Residential Program:

THE LIFE PROCESS PROGRAM ©!
http://www.stgregoryctr.com/
"Residential care is an important part of recovery" Is "it right for you or your loved ones"?
Prepare to be indoctrinated that you have a "dependancy" and a "disregard for consequences" and that you are unable to "recognize negetive consequences." You will be taught "life skills" and "behavior modification"

Use Stanton's  7 tools.
Values
Motivation
Rewards
Resources
Support
Maturity

Cause, Drugies don't have values.

If you're trying to imply I've endorsed Peele's treatment center for adults, you're way off the mark.  I don't endorse ANY treament center for adults or kids (not even Wellspring cult recovery center).  I consider it a conflict of interest.  Maybe Peele feels differently because his approach is "harm reduction", but then again, I doubt he's familiar with the story of Sue Scheff.  The only thing I do is muckrake and encourage people to do research.  I also could care less what Peele's views are on treatment that works (though he is also against forced treatment, even for kids).  I'm only interested in his research into what doesn't work (12 step treament or any sort of forced treatment), which is hardly unique.  I have cited other sources but the resident steppers seem to have problems with ANYBODY I cite, attacking them rather than their sound arguments or research.  This is known as ad hominem.

Quote from: "wiki"
An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument to the man", "argument against the man") consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the source making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim. The process of proving or disproving the claim is thereby subverted, and the argumentum ad hominem works to change the subject.

Just because I cite somebody's work hardly means I agree with him on all subjects.  I've cited Vaillant's research too (among others), and I hardly agree with him on much of anything at all.  If you want to discuss alcoholism and aa's disease concept, discuss it here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26586&start=90
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Miss Antsy Pam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 03:20:13 PM »
They are pretty mum on the shooting schedule so a protest would be hard to organize for the filming part, but his center in Pasadena is still fair game.  I did hear that security there has been increased 10 fold since the first season of "celebrity rehab"

What exactly will you protesting, Pam?

That d-list celebtrities and people who want to be on T.V. sign up for a reality show?

Or that a doctor favors a scientific model of addiction that Psy doesn't like, however incoveniently supported by pathologists' research on the brain.

Anyone else feel people are kinda going off on a tangent, here, inspired by some good-ole-emotional bond derived indocrtination, themslves?

I was not suggesting anyone should protest.  I was answering a question someone else raised.  I have nothing to protest about at his center...I agree with you.  They are there voluntarily.  I oppose "forced treatment" ON adolescents.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 05:09:35 PM by Miss Antsy Pam »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 04:41:17 PM »
 I oppose "forced treatment" and adolescents.

:roflmao:

Offline Miss Antsy Pam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 05:10:39 PM »

I have CORRECTED my post..thank you

Offline Miss Antsy Pam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 05:13:12 PM »

Hmmm...now that I think about it, I DO oppose SOME adolescents it depends on the person.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 07:51:37 PM »
If you guys are thinking about protesting a voluntary adult rehab, you need to start taking some medication or something because you are crazy.  :clown: When has a program protest actually accomplished anything, other than give fornits bragging rights to the protestees?  :soapbox:  :twofinger:  :roflmao:

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 09:57:05 PM »
I agree if we are going to spend the time money and effort it takes to protest we need to protest the programs themselves not some ties of endorsement of a TV show.
[size=150]When Injustice Becomes Law
...Rebellion Becomes Duty...[/size]

[size=150]WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES
CAN I HAVE YOUR FLAT SCREEN?[/size]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 10:11:25 PM »
If you guys are thinking about protesting a voluntary adult rehab, you need to start taking some medication or something because you are crazy.  :clown: When has a program protest actually accomplished anything, other than give fornits bragging rights to the protestees?  :soapbox:  :twofinger:  :roflmao:
Well.  It wouldn't be protesting the rehab at all. It would be protesting the show's sponsor (DFAF).  If there was a protest, I imagine the signs would be quite clear to that effect (such as "DFAF = Straight Inc."... "Straight Inc. abused children") and so on and so forth.  Maybe it wouldn't be the best place to do it, but if it caused the DFAF trouble, it might be worth it.  If the show's producers or the participants themselves knew who was sponsoring the show (and what that entailed), maybe they would reconsider.  Although that's unlikely, it's possible it might cost the DFAF some time, and thus, some money.

It is, however, probably more productive to protest programs directly, though.