Author Topic: Victims list update  (Read 5575 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Victims list update
« on: January 11, 2009, 03:12:23 AM »
For a while we have been working on an extended death list consisting of victims, who lost their lives during a program and victims who died shortly after leaving the program when the PTSD became too much.

Here is our work so far:

Victims in the 1980's
Victims in the 1990's
Victims after year 2000

If you have comments please state them.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Victims list update
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 03:31:09 AM »
Can you not use "necktie party" to describe hanging.  I understand the language difference, but it sounds very whimsical describing something so serious.  Some respect for the dead please.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 03:49:50 AM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Can you not use "necktie party" to describe hanging.  I understand the language difference, but it sounds very whimsical describing something so serious.  Some respect for the dead please.
OMG..necktie party. Tell me that was unintentional

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 04:35:52 AM »
Here we never use the S-word. What would the the best compromise if Europeans should read it?

"Hanging", but that sounds like an execution.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 05:01:21 AM »
Quote from: "Oscar"
Here we never use the S-word. What would the the best compromise if Europeans should read it?

"Hanging" is the english term for death either by hanging yourself or someone forcibly hanging you.

I don't know the s-word?

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 06:57:00 AM »
While I do appreciate a bit of gallows humor (ha, ha), the use in this context of "necktie party" is grossly inappropriate.  Perhaps "sucide by hanging" would be more appropriate.  I have no idea what the "s-word" is.  Can we not use euphemisms and call a spade a spade here.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 07:33:50 AM »

Death by hanging, or self-inflicted hanging, or suicide by hanging

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 07:35:43 AM »
Might mean s-word might mean suicide.

I about busted a nut laughing when I read the word necktie-party. Though psy makes a good suggestion with suicide by hanging for a suitable replacement.

You crazy Danes!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 11:05:24 AM »
"Necktie party" refers to a group of people hanging someone and is therefore incorrect.

Alternative terms that would be appropriate are "did the air tap-dance", "held himself up by his windpipe", "didn't inhale" or the onomatopoeic "gack gack gack".

If the victim is black you can use the words "Strange fruit" or "Autoklanned"

i hope this has been instructive.

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 11:22:23 AM »
I guess that we have to end up with "Death by hanging" because any indication about self-inflicted would not be fair when we dont know what did happen. All we know is how they were found.

Lets take a typical case at a Three springs detention center. A boy is found with a leather belt around his neck. How did he get the leather belt? Did he squeeze himself through the bars, took the belt and squeezed himself back so he could hang himself? I have not heard of any prison allowing inmates to wear a belt.

The night staff saw nothing, because they were as all night staff or dorm parents. If they are not sleeping they are watching TV all night or playing video games, if they are not having sex (Genders means nothing here). A lot of the cases are soon forgotten when it comes to an investigation. The lawyers come in an start talking settlement stressing all, so they write it up as suicide.

I remember a story my now late uncle told me. He was in the law-enforcement in Sweden, but visited colluages in Missouri. While he was down there he was called out to a water-mill where they had emptied a lake in order to do a repair. They found a black dude with chains wrapped around him and a pieces of a rope around his neck and a gunshoot wound in his leg. As the sheriff said: "It was the most perfect suicide, he had seen".

Would it be fair to just accept what is the official result of the investigation?

I also spoke with Wiki Researcher. I can reveal that while he is living in Denmark, he has been around selling goat cheese in some exotic countries (huge business - believe it or not). As he has some experience in suspension hangings he tells: "When the person is hoisted, they experience a sharp pain in their neck. They hear their own heart pounding and their lungs crumple like a paper bag everytime they breath out. The feel their body become heavy and even with untied hands they are not able to loosen the noose. The pain becomes unbearable, but while they feel it like an eternity, the person looses consciousness in about a minute. There is a little kicking. That's where the party term comes from. Normally the crowd is exited." Apparently it is possible to interview survivors because their laws enable people to stop the execution while it is ongoing by paying compensation to the family of the victim. He has been around with the checkbook to save local employees out in the villages. Money talks everywhere.

But as stated above, we will change the sentence on the pages.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 07:04:15 PM »
I'm wondering, do you get  permission from the families to use their dead kids to promote an agenda?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 07:20:19 PM »
I'm wondering, do you get  permission from the families to use their dead kids to promote an agenda?

Some of the families post here.  Our "agenda" is the same as theirs.  Cynthia Harvey once said she wanted to see teen programs go the way of child sweat shops.  The only way to do that is to get people's attention.

The shared "agenda" is no more abused and dead kids.  I haven't spoken with the parent of a child killed in a program who wanted to see more kids die.  Look over those kids names again, a lot of their parents are very active in fighting the TTI, some spoke during the GAO hearings.  You're the only person to take issue with the victims' pictures being used.  No one from the victims' families has taken offense.  Quite the opposite.

Would you prefer that these "dead kids" and the horrible ways they died be swept under a rug and forgotten?

You probably do, unfortunately.  Do the kids' faces trouble your conscience?   Hope so.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 07:46:07 PM »
]
Lets take a typical case at a Three springs detention center. A boy is found with a leather belt around his neck. How did he get the leather belt? Did he squeeze himself through the bars, took the belt and squeezed himself back so he could hang himself? I have not heard of any prison allowing inmates to wear a belt.

I'd wage to guess that the boy was issued the belt upon arrival.

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 12:48:53 AM »

No, we didn't. However all the dead kids are on several lists already. Teen advocates list is properly the most well-known but there are 3-4 more as you can see in the lists references. Second of all the media has written about them and we are only quoting articles already online.

There are some, who is listed as unknown. I guess that a part of the settlement the parents have made is that they are so ashamed of their own flesh and blood that they just want to forget they ever had him or her. If I lost a kid, I would shout out in the world until it is known how it did happen. Even if it did happen in traffic where we accept that mobility has a price of death.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 02:40:27 AM by Oscar »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 12:56:38 AM »

Perhaps the REAL question is: do YOU have an agenda which entails stifling that sort of information?