Author Topic: Perception Vs. Reality  (Read 6120 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Perception Vs. Reality
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2009, 01:46:44 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
run by kooks.
:rofl:  :rofl:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2009, 01:50:57 PM »
AA has nothing to do with programs. Lumping AA/NA, Scientology and programs all into the same group does a disservice to those who wish to learn more about programs. It makes this site seem like a conspiracy theory website, run by kooks.

You made more sense when you were discussing broccoli, Stalker.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2009, 03:05:44 PM »
G
Quote from: "JG"
AA has nothing to do with programs. Lumping AA/NA, Scientology and programs all into the same group does a disservice to those who wish to learn more about programs. It makes this site seem like a conspiracy theory website, run by kooks.

You made more sense when you were discussing broccoli, Stalker.
lol. I'm not the guest who posted that. How does stalking come into this? Please elaborate!

It seems pointless to talk about anything here, seeing how it degenerates, but broccoli and humans are genetically very similar. In fact, all life is. http://biocyc.org/comp-genomics?

My point was that in a broad sense everything has similarities, but that doesn't make them "the same."  In the meaningful sense of brainwashing, captivity, abuse, cultic relations the A* progams are NOT "the same" or "similar" to programs*. I agree with the poster that this comparison coming from the person who runs fornits does not reflect well on our credibility as a whole, and misleads people who have not been in programs about the nature of programs.

For anyone visiting: programs and AA/NA/OA have NO meaningful equitability in terms of brainwashing, torture, cultic methodology and relation.

When AA starts abducting people, holding them captive, charging huge amounts of $ for their “services” thereby making anyone who organizes a AA program a millionaire, brainwashing people in a cordinated effort from the top down, etc, etc then we can start making comparisons.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2009, 03:15:59 PM »
Problem is, AA is in virtually all programs' historical lineage, so your argument does not hold.

And they DO brainwash people from the top down.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AA hates dogs
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2009, 03:18:11 PM »
I thoroughly resent the entire AA organization, they are all a bunch of low-lifes. I'll tell you why -- my dog developed a serious addiction to alcohol thanks to the jerk I let take care of him while I was away for a while. Turns out this idiot thought it would be a good idea to slip my pooch a mickey every night in his water bowl; makes me wonder what other sorts of shenanigans were going on with this guy and my poor dog. But that is beside the point! I took my dog down to the local AA meeting to try and get him some help, but they wouldn't hear it! These lousy morons kicked us both out of their stupid meeting without a word! Shit on AA and anyone involved with that dog-hating organization!

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2009, 03:47:34 PM »
point was that in a broad sense everything has similarities, but that doesn't make them "the same."

I realize full well what you are trying to say.  If you had read margaret singer you could have just said "fallacy of one similarity" in which she uses a similar argument.

In the meaningful sense of brainwashing, captivity, abuse, cultic relations the A* progams are NOT "the same" or "similar" to programs*.

And what if I were to consider Institutional AA and communal AA two parts of the same group?  Ever researched how most current members got into the organization.

If they're not so similar, why is it that programs often utilize AA teachings, beliefs, language, and literature, making it clear to the program members that they will die if they don't go to meetings when they leave (many programs make sure to emphasize this to parents as well).

I agree with the poster that this comparison coming from the person who runs fornits does not reflect well on our credibility as a whole, and misleads people who have not been in programs about the nature of programs.

My views are my own and bear no reflection on the opinions of others on this forum.  The fact you're talking to me at all about this is proof of that.  If this was a place that had a central viewpoint, you would quickly be booted off.

For anyone visiting: programs and AA/NA/OA have NO meaningful equitability in terms of brainwashing, torture, cultic methodology and relation.

They are similar, but let me make it clear that programs add to AA. In other words, it's a lot more than just your standard 12 stepping fare.

When AA starts abducting people, holding them captive, charging huge amounts of $ for their “services” thereby making anyone who organizes a AA program a millionaire, brainwashing people in a cordinated effort from the top down, etc, etc then we can start making comparisons.

Also. Let me make it clear that I never said AA was a cult.  It's a cult like organization.  If you're not familiar with that term it means an organizatino with one or more cultic traits that does not fulfill enough of the requirements to gain the "cult" label (such as lack of a central leader that is still alive).  That being said, there are clearly AA based cults, which make up the vast majority of programs.

Also, whether or not AA is a cult is besides the point.  Even by their own studies it's useless at best and harmful at worst.  That is beyond dispute.

In a sophisticated controlled study of A.A.'s effectiveness (Brandsma et. al.), court-mandated offenders who had been sent to Alcoholics Anonymous for several months were engaging in FIVE TIMES as much binge drinking as another group of alcoholics who got no treatment at all, and the A.A. group was doing NINE TIMES as much binge drinking as another group of alcoholics who got rational behavior therapy.
Outpatient Treatment of Alcoholism, by Jeffrey Brandsma, Maxie Maultsby, and Richard J. Welsh. University Park Press, Baltimore, MD., page 105.

Also:
http://www.morerevealed.com/library/coc/chapter7.htm
also
http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-effectiveness.html

AA does deceive newcomers to get them to stay with theater of it's effectiveness (though this is justified with faking it to make it, among other reasons).
AA does bait and switch
AA does try to influence government, judges, members of the media, and police to get court ordered members (see Hazelden's Red Book).
AA does control communication of it's members.. a sponsor says whether a person is healthy or not
AA does make excessive demands for confession and reparation...  confessions which are often trumped up for acceptance in the organization.
AA IS a religion.  Courts have ruled this and the supreme court will not challenge those decisions, making it the law of the land.
AA does have it's set of loaded language.  In addition to redefining terms such as "sobriety" (which comes to mean lifelong membership in AA), they use thought stopping cliches such as "stop your thinking thinking" and so on and so forth.
AA does make people deployable members of teh group for recruitment purposes (12th step).
AA does consider their scripture to be inspired by god (yes, they really do!).
AA purports to tell people they can take what they want and leave the rest while gradually "educating" people (creating learned powerlessness) that they will die if they stop going to meetings.  You hear *A members say all the time "I stopped going to meetings...  and I relapsed".
AA not have secret teachings per-se, but it is said that "more will be revealed" and it certainly is as time and the bait and switch progresses.

I could go on and on and on, but my point is that AA, as a whole, is toxic.  It's not a legitimate treatment option of any sort.  "cult" or not, it IS legally a religion that masquerades a treatment solution (only later to tell those who come that they can never be cured!)

Yes, not all AA meetings are the same and yes, there are some that are "more liberal" but by and large, the whole idea is based on the hallucinogenic-induced bullshit visions of a narcissistic quack (Bill Wilson) who saw himself as the messiah and claimed god inspired his writings.  It's no surprise it doesn't work at all.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2009, 03:57:45 PM »
wasn't it "quit your stinking thinking"? and yeah, Bill was really into "altered states" of any kind, didn't matter if it was alcohol. could be atropine, could be religious fever.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: AA hates dogs
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2009, 04:00:09 PM »
I thoroughly resent the entire AA organization, they are all a bunch of low-lifes. I'll tell you why -- my dog developed a serious addiction to alcohol thanks to the jerk I let take care of him while I was away for a while. Turns out this idiot thought it would be a good idea to slip my pooch a mickey every night in his water bowl; makes me wonder what other sorts of shenanigans were going on with this guy and my poor dog. But that is beside the point! I took my dog down to the local AA meeting to try and get him some help, but they wouldn't hear it! These lousy morons kicked us both out of their stupid meeting without a word! Shit on AA and anyone involved with that dog-hating organization!
:rofl:  :roflmao:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2009, 04:14:05 PM »
Quote from: "58nauso"
Problem is, AA is in virtually all programs' historical lineage, so your argument does not hold.

And they DO brainwash people from the top down.

Well, your historical biological lineage is (probably) helium and hydrogen. Are you, therefore, helium and hydrogen or (alternatively) pure energy?

How about Joenstown? Its historical lineage is Christianity. The historical lineage of Christianity is Judaism; the historical lineage of Judaism is Goddess oriented pantheism, and the historical lineage of that and all religions is an unknown worship-sort. So, are Christianity, Judaism and all religions, therefore, brainwashing, Jonestown-style suicide cults? They are according to your rationale.

You see where I am going with this. (In fact, the historical lineage of programs is not AA based. Their lineage is much more ancient.) The point is that all things have elements of the other and yet can be very different. To say AA brainwashes trivializes and misrepresents genuine brainwashing.

Advocating a viewpoint, even an incorrect one, isn’t brainwashing. Each week in church, en masse, people pledge that they love God, put no Gods before God, obey God’s word, chant, alter their breathing patterns and thereby their conscious state, and that isn’t brainwashing either. G.W.B and assorted thuggery stated, with much sturm und drang, that if “we” didn’t invade Iraq many of “us” would die. That isn’t brainwashing either.

This is a chart delineating the different forms of influence.  
http://www.cultrecover.com/pdfs/CONTINUUM_INFLUENCE.pdf

I’d say that A.A. doesn’t even rank, though that’s debatable. It certainly doesn’t rise to cult level. Programs aren’t signified on this chart because this chart represents study of cults, not Gulag-Cults. Gulag-Cults’ brainwashing techniques go far beyond cults in their concentration and cruelty.
So, equating program and A.A. is baseless and misleading.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2009, 04:32:01 PM »
So, equating program and A.A. is baseless and misleading.
I didn't equate it at all.

Look.  There was a time when I held your viewpoint that AA was not cult like.  There was a time when I thought it was harmless, even beneficial.  That changed after I researched more into AA's origins, it's effectiveness, and cults.  I suggest you do the same.  I don't have time to go around and around with you today on this.

If you read this book by Charles Bufe:
http://www.morerevealed.com/library/coc/
This book by Ken Ragge
http://www.morerevealed.com/library/mr/newmr_0.jsp
This book by Stanton Peele and Charles Bufe:
http://www.morerevealed.com/library/resist/

Or Schaler's "Addiction is a choice" and still think AA is not a cult or cult like...  well that's your informed decision, but I don't have time to educate you.  Stanton Peele, Ph.D considers AA cult Like.  So does Charles Bufe and Jeffery Schaler.  I know ex-AA members who think AA is a cult or at least cult-like.  It's my opinion, based on what you've said, that you're either a current AA follower, or had minimal contact with AA (it's a LOT different once you get into it).  In either case, your opinion might change on further research.
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2009, 04:34:11 PM »
Can AA treat an addiction to jerking off?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2009, 04:50:21 PM »
:twofinger:  :twofinger:  :twofinger:

Whiskey, gin and brandy
With a glass I'm pretty handy
I'm trying to walk a straight line
On sour mash and cheap wine
So join me for a drink boys
We're gonna make a big noise
So don't worry about tomorrow
Take it today
Forget about the tip
We'll get hell to pay
Have a drink on me
Have a drink on me
Yeah
Have a drink on me
Have a drink on me
On me
Come on
Dizzy, drunk and fightin'
On tequila white lightnin'
My glass is getting shorter
On whiskey, ice and water
So come on and have a good time
And get blinded out of your mind
So don't worry about tomorrow
Take it today
Forget about the cheque
We'll get hell to pay
Have a drink on me
Have a drink on me
Have a drink on me
Have a drink on me
On me
Get stoned
Have a drink on me
Have a drink on me
Yeah
Have a drink on me
Come on
Oooh
Gonna roll around
Gonna hit the ground
Take another swing
Have another drink
Gonna drink it dry
Gonna get me high
Come on all the boys
Make a noise

Have a drink on me
Have a drink on me
Have a drink on me
Have a drink on me
Have a drink on me
Have a drink on me
Have a drink on me
Have a drink on me
Have a drink oooooooon me

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2009, 04:51:20 PM »
Quote from: "Rod Stiffington"
Can AA treat an addiction to jerking off?
According to this pastor, Sexaholics Anonymous takes that issue quite seriuosly.  He suggests sending such teenagers to Sexaholics anonymous (to get "cured" of course.. LOLOOLOLOLOL):
http://couragerc.net/PIPMasturbation.ht ... dolescents

Sexaholics anonymous apparantly does definately list it as a behaviour to abstain from... LOL.  This site lists Masturbation Anonymous as a group of it's own.

LOL.  and the mormons have their say, too: http://www.jwoodphd.com/Addictions/masturbation.htm
(distrobuted by Bringham Young Univ.!)

Warning, Kids:  Fapping is a progressive and incurable disease.  Without our program of recovery, you will end up dead, insane, in jail, or on 4chan.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2009, 05:06:49 PM »
This sort of talk sounds a lot like program speak.

Quote from: "psy"

Look.  There was a time when I held your viewpoint that AA was not cult like.  There was a time when I thought it was harmless, even beneficial.  

"I was just like you when I first arrived at the program".

That changed after I researched more into AA's origins, it's effectiveness, and cults.  I suggest you do the same.

"I became enlightened when I adopted the views of my program, and you should do the same so we can all agree".

I don't have time to go around and around with you today on this.

"I'm annoyed by you since your views do not mirror the program's or my own".

We know psy has plenty of time to go around and around on this, since he starts so many topics on AA, making black and white claims and broad generalizations, essentially baiting anyone with a rational mind to speak up in defense of common sense.

If you read this book by Charles Bufe:
http://www.morerevealed.com/library/coc/
This book by Ken Ragge
http://www.morerevealed.com/library/mr/newmr_0.jsp
This book by Stanton Peele and Charles Bufe:
http://www.morerevealed.com/library/resist/

"When you are in the program longer, you will understand. But don't question my knowledge and beliefs, because I know more than you."

Or Schaler's "Addiction is a choice" and still think AA is not a cult or cult like...  well that's your informed decision, but I don't have time to educate you.  Stanton Peele, Ph.D considers AA cult Like.  So does Charles Bufe and Jeffery Schaler.  I know ex-AA members who think AA is a cult or at least cult-like.  It's my opinion, based on what you've said, that you're either a current AA follower, or had minimal contact with AA (it's a LOT different once you get into it).  In either case, your opinion might change on further research.

"You must be a troubled kid. Only they would reject the teachings of the program."

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2009, 05:28:20 PM »
You call me insensitive/absurd/insulting and you compare fornits to a program?

LOLOLOL

Right...  And just for your information, I rarely discuss AA at all.  This thread, and the other one giving AA book links are the only two I can recall at all.  If you disagree, you're more than welcome to.  All I was suggesting is you might want to read some books i've read and maybe you'll come to a similar conclusion.  In program I that would be a demand, not a suggestion, with no "or you will DIE" conditions attached".

And just so you know...

"I was just like you when I first arrived at the program". = "I was just like you when I arrived at AA"
"I became enlightened when I adopted the views of my program, and you should do the same so we can all agree". also applies, almost word for word too.
"I'm annoyed by you since your views do not mirror the program's or my own". also applies.  In AA they have special terms for those who do not apply the steps fully (such as "only abstaining" or "dry").  Newcomers are often warned to stay away from these people.
   Unless each A.A. member follows to the best of his ability our suggested Twelve Steps to recovery, he almost certainly signs his own death warrant.
    Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, William G. Wilson, page 174.

"When you are in the program longer, you will understand. But don't question my knowledge and beliefs, because I know more than you." - you hear this in AA too.  Its' usually "trust those who have more time.  what have you got?" and so on and so forth.  Social pressure shuts up dissenters.
"You must be a troubled kid. Only they would reject the teachings of the program." - also applies to AA.
   Unless each A.A. member follows to the best of his ability our suggested Twelve Steps to recovery, he almost certainly signs his own death warrant.
    Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, William G. Wilson, page 174.

At least i'm being honest about my controversial views.   AA's advice on that to newcomers would be:

"There is no use arousing any prejudice he may have against certain theological terms and conceptions about which he may already be confused. Don't raise such issues, no matter what your own convictions are.
    The Big Book, 3rd Edition, William G. Wilson, Working With Others, page 93. "

In other words: lie about what the program is about and don't mention that your concept of sobrity is:

"A special state of Grace gained by working the Steps and maintaining absolute abstinence. It is characterized by feelings of Serenity and Gratitude. It is a state of living according to God's will, not one's own." - "god inspired" spripture penned by Bill Wilson

Bait and switch... In other words, "sobriety" ain't about getting sober in AA.  It's about conversion.  If you're just sober, you get labeled as an apostate.  A "dry drunk" or "merely abstaining".