Author Topic: Perception Vs. Reality  (Read 6122 times)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Perception Vs. Reality
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 11:05:26 PM »
Quote from: "my 2 cents"
What I meant is that if an adult chooses to join AA or scientology or whatever, then the "mind fuck" is to some extent consensual.

Consent is only consent if it's fully informed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informed_consent

Brainwashing requires a person to be ignorant of precisely how he is being influenced.  Margaret Singer's first condition of thought reform is:

"Keep the person unaware of what is going on and how attempts to psychologically condition him or her are directed in a step-by-step manner."

There is "bait and switch" with both Scientology and Alcoholics Anonymous (though arguably to different extents).

http://orange-papers.org/orange-bait-switch.html

Think about it.  People don't' consciously choose to join cults.  They're conned into it, manipulated, and outright lied to.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 11:18:53 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
uhh, in my programs there was nothing even somewhat comprable to AA. I had to attend those sort of meethings in addition to being in the program, and they were a HEAVENLY respite from program.

Bet that made you want to go.

I am not saying the A programs work, but it's false to say program's "methodology" is similar to an A program. It owes no more debt to them then to a public libraries.

Need I remind you, Synanon was a direct outgrowth from AA.  Sure most programs borrow from other sources, but AA is a big part of it.  Where do you think the phrase "dead insane in jail" came from?
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 11:20:31 PM »
uhh, in my programs there was nothing even somewhat comprable to AA. I had to attend those sort of meethings in addition to being in the program, and they were a HEAVENLY respite from program. I am not saying the A programs work, but it's false to say program's "methodology" is similar to an A program. It owes no more debt to them then to a public libraries.

what were your programs?

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 11:32:46 PM »
Quote from: "Miss Antsy Pam"
I understand that you don't agree Psy, but the DMSIV classifies "alcoholism and addiction" as a disease.

Well.  Two things to that. FIrst off, the DSM's concept of addiction/alcohol dependence is very, very, different from that of AA. Secondly, just because something is in a big book made by doctors doesn't mean that it's true.  The fact that things are added and removed proves that they haven't all gotten it figured out yet.  I don't pretend to have it all figured out either.  I can, however, tell you that there are certain cases where the one line is longer than the other, when certain things are objectively, demonstratively, false.

Personally,I like to view it from my doc's perspective; he just says that I am not wired the same way as most people. Most drug affect me differently that others, I wake up in the middle of surgery even though they have given me 3 times the amount of anesthesia for someone my size...my chemistry is an anomaly. Maybe it isn't a matter of classification as anyone can get carried away with anything.  The "ism" I speak of is a lack of moderation in most things I do.  I know how to be a "1" or a "10"...my quest is to find that elusive "5" on a somewhat consistent basis. Not to say that 5 is mediocre.  Maybe I would call it "balance" instead.

Ok.  But is wired differently a disease?  Is being obsessive a disease (ok... well maybe it can be, but it's certainly neither always lifelong or untreatable).  Maybe there is an "ism" for that...  I don't know.  on wait, there is LOL!!!!

http://obsessivecompulsiveanonymous.org/

How much do you want to bet their members compulsively go to meetings... LOL.  In any case, for the sake of argument, the problem with what you describe would seem to be OCD, and not alcoholism.  For that reason, it's probably best for you to avoid alcohol, but it would be absurd to label alcohol as the root of the problem like AA does with it's "devil drink" mumbo jumbo.

I DO think that most of the AA doctrine, as it has evolved over the last 50 years, IS very much like a cult.  Hence, my split from the group a number of years ago.  In my case, I felt that is was an "all or nothing" type of proposition and that the teachings were contradictory and judgmental once I started to stray from the consensus of my "group."  Once I started voicing a differing opinion, cracks became more frequent and the judgments more harsh...so I left.  End of story.  My relationship with AA ended bitterly with my home group and I moved away.  Did I go and get drunk because I stopped going to meetings 10 years ago....NO.

There is a "however" coming....right now I need to go raise some hell at an AA meeting to prove a point to Psy.

LOLs

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 11:41:29 PM »
It owes no more debt to them then to a public libraries.

That's one hell of a vacant library in your town.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 12:02:01 AM »
Quote from: "psy"
Consent is only consent if it's fully informed.
And in many cases when people discover that they are conned they leave. But trying to save adults from themselves is problematic. Sometimes the anti cult movement does this in a way that come being close to as forceful as those they are supposed to oppose. A fight over AA is also something of a red herring. Honestly who cares? An adult decides they are addicted to something. They go to the church hall. People are pretty black and white in their thinking & claim to be a member of the club you have to claim you will die. So according to this guy http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-secrets.html
81% of people run for the hills after 1 meeting
90% stick around for 90 days and say thanks but no thanks
then 95 % go by the end of the year.
If the other 5% want to stay then really who gives a shit? Everyone else decided AA was not for them & a few people like it or believe its bullshit. Who cares what those people do? Unlike kids in the industry they are making a decision to drink the koolaide. They are either happy with the smug knowledge that they have all the answers while the rest of us apparently drink ourselves into an early grave or eventually they will leave. This is consensual. So why waste any energy on it?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 01:06:53 AM »
uhh, in my programs there was nothing even somewhat comprable to AA. I had to attend those sort of meethings in addition to being in the program, and they were a HEAVENLY respite from program.

I am not saying the A programs work, but it's false to say program's "methodology" is similar to an A program. It owes no more debt to them then to a public libraries.

Need I remind you, Synanon was a direct outgrowth from AA.  Sure most programs borrow from other sources, but AA is a big part of it.  Where do you think the phrase "dead insane in jail" came from?

Broccoli and human beings are almost identical genetically, but they are in no realistic sense "similar" except in the broad way that all things have some similarity. In terms of being cult-like or abusive, there is no comparison between A.A. and programs. That really trivializes and misrepresents programs. And, yes, the humane, non-evil, non-insane way I was treated at A made me want to go their instead of my programs, but the niceness of a doctor would have made me want to go for unnecessary surgery to escape my programs, so that doesn’t mean much.

I know C.D’s connection to A.A. but he was kicked out of A.A because he wanted to make A.A cult like, evil and abusive…which he did with Synanon. His methodology became more evil with the Punks program, an evil taken to a higher level with Cedu/ Straight. Equating these A and programs isn’t reasonable. That doesn’t mean I’m saying A.is helpful, or that it can’t be abusive in the way any “group therapy” style group can be abusive or coercive, (hell, any social group can be abusive) but A.A in itself is not a cult, or even cult-like, and certainly not program-like.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 01:36:08 AM »

The forum will be open to the public shortly (probably on new years, if not earlier).

The hidden, secret forum members here are more cult like than any AA meeting I've seen.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 01:43:55 AM »
Broccoli and human beings are almost identical genetically,
Idiot. NO. they are NOT. did you think that was a good opener?

In terms of being cult-like or abusive, there is no comparison between A.A. and programs.
bullshit. kidds start out with the all or nothing mentality in program from AA in program. they continue into adult and slip up. bang. bad consequences. worse than with no AA. read AARC posts.

the brain wash starts in program. and which bprograms were YOU in?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 01:48:31 AM »
Quote from: "black kettle"

The forum will be open to the public shortly (probably on new years, if not earlier).

The hidden, secret forum members here are more cult like than any AA meeting I've seen.

moron. its in his sig if you ever bothered to visit fornits lately. where have YOU been?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 02:15:43 AM »
Quote from: "dis intrested observer"

In terms of being cult-like or abusive, there is no comparison between A.A. and programs.
bullshit. kidds start out with the all or nothing mentality in program from AA in program. they continue into adult and slip up. bang. bad consequences. worse than with no AA. read AARC posts.

Hi. The rage that burns in your heart and deal with by using the internet to channel it onto strangers from your hiding place is aimed towards the guest that dared criticize the secret forum and thereby challenging your sense of self in some way, not me. Or perhaps you just call everyone an idiot? Speaking of idiots,  none of what you said is accurate or literately written.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 02:17:38 AM »
Quote from: "black kettle"

moron. its in his sig if you ever bothered to visit fornits lately. where have YOU been?

I'm guessing the guest was inquiring about the secret forum, not the website. Why are you so rude?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 02:23:36 AM »
Quote from: "dis intrested observer"

Hi. The rage that burns in your heart and you deal with by using the internet to channel it onto strangers from your hiding place is aimed towards the guest that dared criticize the secret forum and thereby challenged your sense of self in some way, not me. Or perhaps you just call everyone an idiot? Speaking of idiots, none of what you said is accurate or literately written.

Oops. Had to fix some typos. Lest they be fixed for me and the thread be derailed with the various additional corrections that the corrector needs. Cause that’s how it rolls here on fornits.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 09:45:59 AM »

Broccoli and human beings are almost identical genetically, but they are in no realistic sense "similar" except in the broad way that all things have some similarity. In terms of being cult-like or abusive, there is no comparison between A.A. and programs. That really trivializes and misrepresents programs.

Um.  Programs and AA are closer than brocolli to humans.  "fake it til you make it"... etc.  I see many Programs as simply a fundamentalist outcropping of AA.

And, yes, the humane, non-evil, non-insane way I was treated at A made me want to go their instead of my programs, but the niceness of a doctor would have made me want to go for unnecessary surgery to escape my programs, so that doesn’t mean much.

Sure they treat you nice as long as you're either a newcomer or agree with them.  Things change, however, if you're around for a while and start to deviate from the official Big book, which AA members believe is inspired by god.  AA members behave differently around newcomers.

I know C.D’s connection to A.A. but he was kicked out of A.A because he wanted to make A.A cult like, evil and abusive…which he did with Synanon.

No.  he was booted out of AA because he wanted AA to cater to narcotics as well. This was before the days of NA and AA, at the time, was very exclusive towards acoholics only.

His methodology became more evil with the Punks program, an evil taken to a higher level with Cedu/ Straight. Equating these A and programs isn’t reasonable. That doesn’t mean I’m saying A.is helpful, or that it can’t be abusive in the way any “group therapy” style group can be abusive or coercive, (hell, any social group can be abusive) but A.A in itself is not a cult, or even cult-like, and certainly not program-like.

Well.  AA is cult like.  That conclusion is pretty well detailed in Charles Bufe's book "AA - Cult or Cure".  And institutional AA can be a cult, as we all know.

He writes

Is Alcoholics Anonymous a cult? That's almost as difficult to answer as the question, "What is a cult?" The difficulty is compounded by the fact that AA has very close ties—indeed, incestuous relationships—with a large number of "related facilit[ies]" and "outside enterprise." These include the NCADD, ASAM, and the 93% of all inpatient alcoholism treatment facilities that utilize AA indoctrination as part—usually the centerpiece—of their programs, and that are for the most part staffed and controlled by 12-stepping "professionals." I believe that these front groups should be considered part of, or at least extensions of, AA, just as I believe that groups that are staffed and controlled by Communist Party members, and that advance Communist Party ideology, should be considered part of, or at least ex-tensions of, the Communist Party.

Both AA and the Communists learned long ago that the setting up of front groups is a convenient means of attracting or influencing the unwary, advancing their own agendas, and avoiding both criticism and responsibility (for the actions of their front groups). Here, I intend to hold AA responsible for the actions of its front groups. I will, however, at times maintain a distinction between what Vince Fox refers to as "communal AA" (free meetings and fellowship of the type described in Chapter 1) and what he refers to as "institutional AA" (the 12-step treatment industry). Where I make no distinction between the two, my remarks apply equally to both.

http://www.morerevealed.com/library/coc/chaptr10.htm

Ultimately AA does do more harm than good.  At best it's success rate is identical to no treatment at all and at worst, it makes binge behavior far more likely.

http://www.morerevealed.com/library/coc/chapter7.htm

It's a religion (supreme court has refused to challenge lower court decisions on this, making it the law of the land), and yet they take steps to influence government, judges, and police to gain court ordered members (see Hazelden's Little Red Book).

That is not the behavior of a legitimate religion.

Do I believe AA should be outlawed?  Of course not. Anybody should be able to join any crazy quack cult or cult-like organization.  What I do have a problem with, however, is both influencing the govermnent to gain forced treatment and the tendency of AA to decieve newcomers to get them to stay longer.  To that end, I believe people should be educated.  I believe if society did not see alcohol/drug use as a progressive disease inevitably resulting in death insanity or jail (AA's terms), program placement would be less likely, as parents would accurately see drug use as a stage, more caused by environmental and other factors than anything else.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 01:39:46 PM »
AA has nothing to do with programs. Lumping AA/NA, Scientology and programs all into the same group does a disservice to those who wish to learn more about programs. It makes this site seem like a conspiracy theory website, run by kooks.