Author Topic: so wrong!!  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
so wrong!!
« on: December 13, 2008, 03:10:12 PM »
im a student and i just got tested for an IEP. the school psychologist said they are probably gonna recommend "therapeutic residential placement". i had nooo idea what that meant at first but i looked it up and WOW im scared. these places are prisons... i told my mom that kids died in them and she said well your not gonna so dont worry. wtf!! damn i mean i thought they were just gonna put me on some meds or something..... but to get 2 the point i wanted to know if any of you who were in a therpeutic shithole program school whatever u call it had to because of your IEP?? is there any way out? and which is the worst one??
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: so wrong!!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 03:37:04 PM »
::)

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 04:36:52 PM »
Yes, your mother needs to tell the district that they need to supply the services you need. The school basically does not want to accommodate  your needs. Your parents need to argue this point. There is no reason to ship you off. I have seen this pulled before. The kid is now doing fine at a charter school and is and A student. The parents had to aggressively advocate for services and also pay for more extensive PT and OT. They are now doing the same for their daughter. The school  and the IEP team has never again brought up this subject.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 06:26:38 PM »
IEP's are fucked up. they should be stopped. There is no such thing as a disability. just strengths and weaknesses. instead of trying to "FIX" your weaknesses, they should just challenge you to make your weaknesses strengths. there are no ADD kids, no dyslexic kids. just stupid and smart, or obedient and oppositional, but always in different ways. This sort of attitude is what brought about addiction as a "disease" not a problem of weak will. It's self defeating and submissive, and turns people into the waterboy (like the adam sandler movie)

they have no right to tell you that you have to go to a TBS. especially if it's a public school. and shame on your mother for being so weak. she should call the school and yell at them, "you have no right to tell me that my kid is fucked up and needs a TBS".....etc.....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 06:35:26 PM »
Oh, please... IEPs are necessary to ensure that the school system does its job in educating your kid. Kids with disabilities NEED IEPs to protect their rights. What good does a mother calling the school up and yelling at them do? Are you deliberately putting out misinformation to derail the issue?

Offline CCM girl 1989

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 06:36:50 PM »
I have no clue what IEP's are? Anyway, where are you living currently? Like which state? I'm just curious. It wouldn't surprise me if this school counselor was on somebody elses payroll besides the schools. I mean, to come out and recommend something as life changing as a TBS???? To not only you, but to you, and your family?!!! I find that very concerning. I'd do whatever you can to stay out of these TBS's if I were you. They will paint a really nice picture for you (even more so because your Mom seems to be acting like it's no big deal, she is such an easy target to sell any program to, just another clueless parent), but once you are transported to this TBS, you won't have the ability to leave when you feel you are ready to. You could end up being there until you are 18. Be careful. Very careful.
f you were never in a program, or a parent of a child in a program, then you have no business posting here.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 06:43:04 PM »
Individualized Education Plan - most every special needs kid has one, by law.

99% of school psychologists are flunkies ensuring that systems of control in the school system work well. they are stooges for the principal. VERY RARE to find one that actually thinks of the kid first. sounds like this school psych is just trying to farm out "the problem". TBS costs will most likely come out of the parents pocket, not the school system's.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 08:45:46 PM »
It costs the school and the district money to accommodate a disability. They often do not want pay the money. It is easier to say the kid needs to go to a TBS.

I did not say the parents should go yell at the school. I said they need to advocate for services for their child. It is a hard fight that can be won.

Oftentimes parents have to get an outside Educational Psychologist to retest their child, and then take the results back to the school with a proper needs assessment that was done by the testing psychologist. Not all of these guys are evil, but a good many are. A few are legit.  Usually once you find a legit outside counselor they will communicate with the school regarding needs. I have seen it done quite successfully. Try this resource for your mother: http://http://www.ed.gov/parents/needs/speced/edpicks.jhtml?src=ln Stay in touch.

If you are in NYC I can give you the name of a decent, qualified person that is a psychologist who does this kind of stuff. If you are in the South it gets much harder. I get the feeling that you are.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 08:50:01 PM »

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 05:08:36 PM »
Quote from: "Angry at Misinterpretations"
It costs the school and the district money to accommodate a disability. They often do not want pay the money. It is easier to say the kid needs to go to a TBS.

I did not say the parents should go yell at the school. I said they need to advocate for services for their child. It is a hard fight that can be won.

Oftentimes parents have to get an outside Educational Psychologist to retest their child, and then take the results back to the school with a proper needs assessment that was done by the testing psychologist. Not all of these guys are evil, but a good many are. A few are legit.  Usually once you find a legit outside counselor they will communicate with the school regarding needs. I have seen it done quite successfully. Try this resource for your mother: http://http://www.ed.gov/parents/needs/speced/edpicks.jhtml?src=ln Stay in touch.

If you are in NYC I can give you the name of a decent, qualified person that is a psychologist who does this kind of stuff. If you are in the South it gets much harder. I get the feeling that you are.
This^

Sometimes parents have to fight for the rights of their kids.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)