Author Topic: "Call in gay" Wednesday  (Read 1286 times)

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
"Call in gay" Wednesday
« on: December 09, 2008, 08:21:15 PM »
This is awesome on several different levels.

Some same-sex marriage supporters are urging people to "call in gay" Wednesday to show how much the country relies on gays and lesbians.

I'd do it if I worked for a corporation. My boss knows my sense of humor so he'll tell me to fuck off, kick me in the nether reigons and tell me to work double time.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... AD94UT9CG0
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
Re: "Call in gay" Wednesday
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 09:07:43 AM »
Ok, so I just came on here to post about this as I read the article on CNN....so Im glad someones already started a thread.

Here goes...

I have no problem with homosexuality whatsoever....just as I have no issues with racism or gender, in fact I am completely open to fooling around with the occasional pretty girl or two......BUT

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the attitudes of people regarding their homosexuality.  I strongly believe we should all have the same human/civil rights of course.....but I have to wonder if demanding that others acknowledge ones sexuality is ultimately appropriate.  I dont burst into a room and announce my sexual preference and insist that others take extra care to treat me fairly.  I dont burst into a room and announce my race or gender or religion and expect others to modify their existence around my personal choices or beliefs.  We are all required to deal with the poor behavior of others and their ignorance at times, its part of our co-existence.

Why dont we have a  "Call in Pregnant Day" for expectant moms who cant even get a decent parking space or an appropriate facility to breastfeed their children? I mean...people are always posturing about equality and fairness, while at the very same time demanding that they have their own gay stores, black proms and mexican community centers.  If we all want equality why do we use differentiation to achieve it? I DO NOT understand that!  It makes me insane!

Its like they say "I want my equal rights, but Im not going to behave equally towards anyone else".  To me its totally counter productive to long term change.  If you create an elite group and then shun others from it, you are only fostering resentment and ignorance.  Isnt that what we learned from slavery and countless other discrimination?

I was working as a hostess in a restaurant once upon a time and this guy walked in to get a table.  He was very obviously gay, and very flamboyant....but mostly he was just rude and hateful.  He treated me like a dog, and then walked up with a cigarette in his mouth and huffed at me to light it for him, without even asking...just rolling his eyes and smirking at me.  Now, I dont care where he likes to stick his cock at night, but you shouldnt treat anyone like that, period.  But I see that alot in especially flamboyant gay guys and if I werent a more intelligent person I would be prejudiced too.  The old idea of treating others as you would be treated is alot more widesweeping and necessary than i think most people realize.  This guy was just insecure and was overcompensating for it, something anyone of any persuasion is capable of....but HE is the one who should be taking extra care if he wants others to break through their misconceptions about homosexuality....its HIS responsibility to be educated and open and fair....not just petulant and bitter. Calling in Gay does not address this issue, to me it only exacerbates it.

Just my thoughts.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Re: "Call in gay" Wednesday
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 09:55:08 AM »
I like that you say "just my thoughts" instead of "just my opinion."

Thoughts are thoughts; whereas the word 'opinion' implies social acceptance on some level...

Fuck social acceptance! It's over-rated!!!  :twofinger: