Author Topic: $1,000 says I'm still the oldest person ever admitted in PV  (Read 3488 times)

Offline MiMatt

• View Profile
$1,000 says I'm still the oldest person ever admitted in PV
« on: October 19, 2008, 07:53:41 AM »
HI, I'm new here. Stumbled on this forum by accident. My experiences of PV emulate most of everyone else's here. I was a "patient" from December 18, 1993 to April 5, 1994 (I remember the date vividly, because I remember hearing about Kurt Cobain's suicide on the radio, on the trip home). I'll go by my initials - MM, just in case anyone here might remember me - being so much older made me stand out so much more.

Fortunately, I had one distinct advantage that most of the others didn't - I was 18 when admitted and turned 19 a few days in, and was given the choice of here, or jail. As an adult, I could literally get up and sign out whenever I wanted to. Only if I did, I'd go back to immediately jail, or was TOLD I would, by staff (total lie, I later found out). Fortunately, I had an impatient judge, and I was forced to leave after completing close to 5 months. I was only PCI'd once, but I didn't go down easy, because I was equal in size to about 60% of the staff, at the time. Took 7 of the bigger males to pin me down.

My first day was a nightmare. I was taken up to STU-2 ("STU 2. Sucks to be you..", as I used to joke to myself to hold on to some reminence of sanity..) in that old gray van, by Mr. Moon (A pale, scrawny, stubbly, dweeb who looked like he should be climbing a mountain in Seattle, somewhere - always wearing that blue and black Northern Face jacket, and those nerdy, narrow, thick glasses that are commonplace nowadays.) and Mr. Craig (The man was a 6ft 3, ex-football player with a chest the size of a cars hood, who obviously served as the intimidation factor). I wasn't even in the van 5 seconds before the hell began. As I tried to strike up a nice conversation with my new "counselors", seeing as how I was informed I'd be here 6-12 months, I thought I'd try and be pleasant about my situation. I was informed that since I was a "legal adult", they were gonna have all kinds of fun with me. I was called a "goth", even though I didn't wear black, or even look or act like one. I was told I had tried drugs I'd never touched before. I wasn't even an hour in, and I was being assaulted on all fronts. Then came the strip search and shower.... They knew my situation (about facing jail) and took full advantage. The anal rape or shanking jokes came at a steady barrage.

To this day, I still have nightmares of that place. I can't watch "Santa Claus: The Movie" or "The Hunt For Red October" because those were two of the rare movies we got to watch while during my stay. I still can't sleep with any light in my room, what so ever, because of my experience in STU. I used to be able to tolerate Enya (one example of the music we were forced to listen to at lights out.) now I cringe whenever I hear any song from "Sheperd Moons". I'm still in therapy, to this very day, for all the abuse I received at group "therapies". I was severely bullied at school, until I moved in 1987. Regular school, back then, was a day at the races, compared with PV.

I think the only good day I had there was Christmas day, not to long after I was admitted. We spent the day watching the aforementioned movie, and a few select football games. And my final day when I told Dr. Vance Sherwood he was an "demented, sadistic, egomaniacal, fucktard with a fucking hilarious haircut, and questionable a doctorate credential". I was told that since I was leaving AMA (Against Medical Advice) I was to be given a quarter for a pay phone, and told to walk into town several miles away - driving in a car down Jones Bend is a long enough drive... Imagine having to walk it with 2 hefty bags full of clothes, supplies, etc... Even worse, imagine being in an unfamiliar city, out in the middle of nowhere, with no money, no transportation, or communication with civilization - your real home being some 250 miles away.

Fortunately, they called my parents and lawyer to let them know I had been released. So I had managed to walk for about 2-and-a-half hours before my dad pulled up. He angrily did a u-turn on the middle of Jones Bend (not because of anything I did). I never looked back. It took another 5 years for him to finally believe all the abuse that I told him went on there. My mom suspected something was amiss about 2 months in.

If I knew then, what I know now, I would've stayed in jail. I would've served 2 weeks, tops. But I still probably hold the record as the oldest patient ever admitted there.... The only two people still there that I recognize from my stay there, still employed there are Bob Pegler and Todd Roberts. BTW - I'm 34 years old now, and live a fairly average life. But my experiences there will haunt me until the day I die.

BTW - I hope using proper former staff names is okay. Feel free to edit the names if necessary.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
Re: $1,000 says I'm still the oldest person ever admitted in PV
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 02:01:40 AM »
Wow.  Thanks for sharing your story.  Nothing's changed since you were there except the faces, and Sherwood's work goes on without him.

Quote from: "MiMatt"
I told Dr. Vance Sherwood he was an "demented, sadistic, egomaniacal, fucktard with a fucking hilarious haircut, and questionable a doctorate credential"

LOL.  Yeah, I read his book and I'm familiar with his "credentials".  The book is heavy on Freud, light on logic.  Sherwood got some criticism last year for calling a teenage murder defendant a psychopath with no hope of rehabilitation.  The teen's attorney rightly pointed out that a minor cannot be diagnosed as a "psychopath" and the other expert witnesses berated Sherwood.  His response to the outrage and criticism was...well, "demented, sadistic, egomaniacal".  He gave a speech for a NATSAP event entitled "Teenage Psychopaths:  Do They Exist and Can They Be Treated"?  

Sherwood works with the public school system around Knoxville now.

Quote from: "MiMatt"
I used to be able to tolerate Enya (one example of the music we were forced to listen to at lights out.) now I cringe whenever I hear any song from "Sheperd Moons"

Sonic torture.

Thanks again for posting about your time at PV.  Patients are still at PV past 18 - The parents get extended guardianship of a kid through the Court with PV's assistance.  All the parents of a patient reaching the age of majority have to do is ask about extended guardianship and PV will provide the legal help and a "professional opinion".  The diagnosis of mental illness requiring inpatient care in the petition for extended guardianship is provided by PV, of course.  No one ever questions whether PV has a vested interest in keeping a paying customer. The patient's input is never heard, and would be dismissed as lies and manipulation anyway.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 03:42:08 AM »
man.. thanks for posting. Stories like yours remind me why it is important to stay focused and have an objective in this quagmire. Have you seen the Q/A thread up in the Facility Questions and Answers forum? I'm curious to know how much PV has changed since 1994.

coughs.. Zen... pvexposed.com.... coughs...

Offline MiMatt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 05:12:49 PM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
man.. thanks for posting. Stories like yours remind me why it is important to stay focused and have an objective in this quagmire. Have you seen the Q/A thread up in the Facility Questions and Answers forum? I'm curious to know how much PV has changed since 1994.

coughs.. Zen... pvexposed.com.... coughs...

Yes, I saw it.

Most of what was said was true. I witnessed one kid, in a STU get PCI'd twice in one day. They constantly antagonize you and expect a reaction - just waiting to pounce. I met a former counselor about a year later, at an NA meeting, and he was still just as patronizing, even after I'd escaped that hell.

I'd really like to know who that ex-counselor who posted here, was. Seeing as how I was there around the same time, and can back up most of his stories. He my have even been one of MY former counselors. He described building a new cabin around 1994, I was part of that. The STU cabin was planning on building a new cabin, before I left. I don't know if it ever got off the ground. We were chopping down trees, and adding new pee-tubes, before I was sent home.

And that pool they had, I don't think I ever saw anyone in it.

And one funny side note - I STILL have the thick tube socks I received as a 'Christmas gift', from the Village. I have to admit, those things were comfy, on cold days. Especially during the big ice storm we had, in winter '94. Those things turned out to be a godsend. Now, my cat eats on them.

Oh, and Zen - It was the court who gave me the option of PV or jail. I was no longer in my parents custody, and wasn't placed in state custody. I was already living by myself, before I was admitted. I was arrested because my parents and family counselor called the police on me when they found weed in my apartment. I turned 19 about a week after I was admitted.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 01:32:14 AM by MiMatt »

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 12:04:36 AM »
There was never any doubt in my mind that the replies were false in anyway. I am more curious as to how much the place has changed over the years. Doesn't sound like it has changed at all other than a few superficial name changes and staff turn over.

Same shit different wrapper.

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
    • http://www.pathwayfamilycenter.fornits.com
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 05:29:56 PM »
Hey peeps...
I was just wondering when the PV  physical protest is going to take place because I would like to attend in support of the survivors.
-DP
"So, you can make me cum ...that doesn\'t make you, Jesus"....Tori Amos copyright
Read about Pathway Family Centers here.

Offline act.da

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 07:14:38 PM »
Quote from: "Deprogrammed"
Hey peeps...
I was just wondering when the PV  physical protest is going to take place because I would like to attend in support of the survivors.
-DP
Sent you a PM..
<&/PV>
[size=85]"that protester guy is still coming"[/size]