Author Topic: help me with something  (Read 8237 times)

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
Re: help me with something
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 07:00:43 PM »
New Leaf sounds like the hell-hole I went to in 1985. The one year thing only made matters worse. Having my mail censored completely destroyed any sense of freedom of speech I had ever known. I came out a very censored automaton, and detached from my parents. It took another 14 years to fully open up to them again. I am finally close to my mother, but would never want to see anyone go through what I went through. I still have nightmares. I was 21 when I went in, and my big offense was being a lesbian. Thank goodness that does not happen too much anymore, I hope. The facility tried to convince me that I was not a lesbian. I came out of there (1986) still knowing I a lesbian, but had to go back in the closet until I finished college (1988). Try to bond with your kid don't ship them away to the experts.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 12:45:15 AM »
New leaf used to be called greenleaf academy and was only in Oregon. It was run by a man called craig Christensen who turned it into new leaf and sold it to Aspen who opened another branch in North Carolina. its girls are predominantly young (it takes 10 to 14 year olds) See the recent post on being the youngest kid at the rtc and imagine a school full of them. The question anyone needs to ask is how anybody can possibly say they are trying everything they can if they send off a 10 year old! Is this what your relative wants her little girl surruonded by? While based loosely on erickson it bastardizes a lot of his ideas and turns them punitive.

Someone I know called and advised they had a child with mildly violent tendencies (throwing an ash try at their head) I called them and was advised they absolutely do not take violent girls of any description.
Take a look at the following link. you will note that there is fairly limited contact with the outside world for a year. This is an exceptionally long time for a girl of this age as much happens from one year to the next between 10 and 14. Also note that in the NC branch it was not licenced as at 2007. it had been open for more than a year.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=16608

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 12:21:19 PM »
Aspen taking 10 year olds????

Aspen not licensed????

Color me shocked.   ::)

Quote from: "dont send a kid to new leaf"
New leaf used to be called greenleaf academy and was only in Oregon. It was run by a man called craig Christensen who turned it into new leaf and sold it to Aspen who opened another branch in North Carolina. its girls are predominantly young (it takes 10 to 14 year olds) See the recent post on being the youngest kid at the rtc and imagine a school full of them. The question anyone needs to ask is how anybody can possibly say they are trying everything they can if they send off a 10 year old! Is this what your relative wants her little girl surruonded by? While based loosely on erickson it bastardizes a lot of his ideas and turns them punitive.

Someone I know called and advised they had a child with mildly violent tendencies (throwing an ash try at their head) I called them and was advised they absolutely do not take violent girls of any description.
Take a look at the following link. you will note that there is fairly limited contact with the outside world for a year. This is an exceptionally long time for a girl of this age as much happens from one year to the next between 10 and 14. Also note that in the NC branch it was not licenced as at 2007. it had been open for more than a year.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=16608

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 03:58:52 PM »
The academic program of New Leaf Academy in Oregon is accredited by the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges.

The academic program of New Leaf Academy in North Carolina is accredited by the North Carolina Non-Public Schools Association and is licensed for special education by the North Carolina Department of Education, Special Needs Division.

New Leaf Academy is also SACS and CITA accredited.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 09:05:25 PM »
These are all private member organizations. Anyone who pays can join. NWASCA in fact has had many wwasp schools on its books. As they licenced by the state yet? if so as what? Why did it take so long for tis to occur?

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 03:54:24 PM »
Quote from: "new leaf is horrible"
These are all private member organizations. Anyone who pays can join. NWASCA in fact has had many wwasp schools on its books. As they licenced by the state yet? if so as what? Why did it take so long for tis to occur?

Licensed as what?  They may not be required to be licensed.  I havent heard that they are in noncompliance in any areas.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 06:58:13 PM »
Quote from: "Balfour"
Quote from: "new leaf is horrible"

Licensed as what?  They may not be required to be licensed.  I havent heard that they are in noncompliance in any areas.

New leaf is one of the better programs.
The Oregon campus is licensed by the state of Oregon.  Also counselors are trained and supervised by master's level and qualified therapists with more than 50 years experience working with youth. Also offer trauma work and EMDR therapy for girls who can benefit from these services as an adjunct to  counseling. New Leaf Academy of Oregon contracts with a licensed psychologist for supplemental testing and a board-certified psychiatrist for medication management.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 07:18:45 PM »
Seriously, you smacktards are WAY WAY late to the party. This guy's already come, gone, and taken the parents with him by now.

"Master's level"? Love those weasel words. HLA uses them too. They don't actually have Master's degrees. They probably don't even have Bachelor's degrees. But they're "Master's Level" according to this assclown.

"Qualified therapists"? Which independent (no, I mean INDEPENDENT) agency has ensured their qualifications? Any at all? I take it they're not licensed.

You don't actually have a real licensed psychologist on staff, but have to contract with one for testing instead of, y'know, psychology? And you have to do the same with a board-certified (which board? And why don't you brag about HIS licensure? Hmmm...) psychiatrist?

Wow. A little reading between the lines and that last post is more damning than anything else.

YOU LOSE! YOU GET NOTHING! GOOD DAY SIR!

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 07:41:20 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Seriously, you smacktards are WAY WAY late to the party. This guy's already come, gone, and taken the parents with him by now.

"Master's level"? Love those weasel words. HLA uses them too. They don't actually have Master's degrees. They probably don't even have Bachelor's degrees. But they're "Master's Level" according to this assclown.

"Qualified therapists"? Which independent (no, I mean INDEPENDENT) agency has ensured their qualifications? Any at all? I take it they're not licensed.

You don't actually have a real licensed psychologist on staff, but have to contract with one for testing instead of, y'know, psychology? And you have to do the same with a board-certified (which board? And why don't you brag about HIS licensure? Hmmm...) psychiatrist?

Wow. A little reading between the lines and that last post is more damning than anything else.

YOU LOSE! YOU GET NOTHING! GOOD DAY SIR!

Whoops, you forgt to mention they are licensed by the state of Oregon.  You are just fishing, oh wait, maybe it is a fishing license LOL.  Their people are board certified and licensed my friend, cant get around that.  You sound like "Ajax".  "How do we know they attended class and what did they do while they were on campus, did they study at all?"  LOL.  Very weak.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 08:38:33 PM »
•   What we do know is the TBS community is moving away from the stigma of being experimental and is getting the visibility it deserves.  Many professionals are seeing past the bad apples (which typically grab the lion’s share of the headlines here on fornits) and looking at the successes many of the better schools are experiencing.  These programs are starting to attract more graduates/ undergraduates pursuing a career in child related professional arenas like psychology and sociology which will result in more studies and dissertations being performed within and on the industry.

•   Many programs struggle to get licensed because their students do not stay for 4 years so they are not your traditional boarding school and therefore do not fit into that category easily and many TBS’s do not limit their student population to those on an IEP (Independent Education Plan) so they don’t fully qualify as a special education school either, so licensure is a challenge in most states and they are viewed as a hybrid of sorts.  So many remain unlicensed with a special certificate or nod to operate outside the normal flow of student activity, but with some oversight.

In parallel to this effort is the GAO investigation which will hopefully help to differentiate between the successful and unsuccessful programs, define a clear path to licensure and regulation which the states can use and adopt, at the local level, to define a TBS.  
Whether we want to believe it or not the industry is expanding and improving by leaps and bounds and mandatory regulation and licensure is just around the corner.  The years of straight in the 1970’s is just a pale memory compared to what the programs of today are capable of accomplishing.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 10:08:35 AM »
Quote from: "TheWho"
•   What we do know is the TBS community is moving away from the stigma of being experimental and is getting the visibility it deserves.

No, YOU may BELIEVE that to be true, but it doesn't make it so.

•   Many programs struggle to get licensed because their students do not stay for 4 years so they are not your traditional boarding school and therefore do not fit into that category easily and many TBS’s do not limit their student population to those on an IEP (Independent Education Plan) so they don’t fully qualify as a special education school either, so licensure is a challenge in most states and they are viewed as a hybrid of sorts.  So many remain unlicensed with a special certificate or nod to operate outside the normal flow of student activity, but with some oversight.

They're claiming to provide 'treatment' and 'therapy'.  They goddamn well better be licensed and staffed with medical professionals that see the kids on a regular basis.  Not some rubber stamp dx from some "doc" on the payroll and not some organization whose really only requirement is to pay the fee in order to become "accredited".

In parallel to this effort is the GAO investigation which will hopefully help to differentiate between the successful and unsuccessful programs, define a clear path to licensure and regulation which the states can use and adopt, at the local level, to define a TBS.  

http://psychobulletin.blogspot.com/2008 ... ssion.html

Because of the behavior problems that often co-exist with adolescent depression, many parents are tempted to send their child to a "boot camp", "wilderness program", or "emotional growth school."
These programs often use non-medical staff, confrontational therapies, and harsh punishments. There is no scientific evidence to support such programs. In fact, there is a growing body of research which suggests that they can actually harm sensitive teens with depression.

Whether we want to believe it or not the industry is expanding and improving by leaps and bounds and mandatory regulation and licensure is just around the corner.  The years of straight in the 1970’s is just a pale memory compared to what the programs of today are capable of accomplishing.

Nah, not really.  They all use the basic form developed at Synanon and perpetuated by Straight/WWASPS/Aspen/HLA/ and the rest.  Relying on isolation, restriction of communication with family, the whole 'peer pressure' form of 'therapy' is the same as it ever was.  Dangerous.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 11:02:06 AM »
They're claiming to provide 'treatment' and 'therapy'. They goddamn well better be licensed and staffed with medical professionals that see the kids on a regular basis. Not some rubber stamp dx from some "doc" on the payroll and not some organization whose really only requirement is to pay the fee in order to become "accredited".

You are confusing the facility license with the individual licenses.  A typical boarding school can have a full time nurse, on staff, dispense medications and bring in medical professionals from the outside without being licensed as a medical facility.  It is still a Boarding school.  Our local school systems are not licensed as medical facilities but many have a full time nurse and counsellors on staff.

I do agree that all the medical professionals should be licensed to perform their duties within each state.

Because of the behavior problems that often co-exist with adolescent depression, many parents are tempted to send their child to a "boot camp", "wilderness program", or "emotional growth school."
These programs often use non-medical staff, confrontational therapies, and harsh punishments. There is no scientific evidence to support such programs. In fact, there is a growing body of research which suggests that they can actually harm sensitive teens with depression.

I was speaking to TBS, but, yes I agree with you boot camps (and the like) will benefit the most, in my opinion, from any and all mandatory regulations that are defined as a result of the GAO investigations.  What I would like to see is a screening process or as a minimum sign-off from the child’s therapist or present school counsellor prior to being placed.  This would go a long way in preventing kids that will not benefit from boot camp, wilderness etc. from attending.

Nah, not really. They all use the basic form developed at Synanon and perpetuated by Straight/WWASPS/Aspen/HLA/ and the rest. Relying on isolation, restriction of communication with family, the whole 'peer pressure' form of 'therapy' is the same as it ever was. Dangerous.

Cant agree there.  Everything can be tied back to whatever a person’s agenda is.  I read where they have recently traced all humans back to 10 people who represent all our descendents.  So if you disliked someone you could pose an argument that he/she is a probable a descendent of Hitler, if you liked them you could potentially see signs in them or resembling the Dali lama.  But in our society if your great Grandfather committed murder that doesn’t mean you need to carry that stigma and even though you are bound to the past you can make your way in this world as an individual and are free to build your own reputation.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 11:58:56 AM »
Previous posters are correct: "RAD" is a 100% BOGUS dx.  Facilities claiming to treat RAD are by extension bogus.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 01:51:09 PM »
Suggesting that there are "good programs" and "bad programs" is misleading at best. My niece is in one of the "good" programs and she has been kept completely isolated from family without a home visit for 2 1/2 years. This "good" program is a private prison, not therapy. I have spoken with experts in children's mental health, child development, pediatrics, and education across the country. The "therapy" these programs provide does not align with any form of therapy practiced or taught at any credible institution in the country.

Auntie Em
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 04:52:31 PM »
Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"
Previous posters are correct: "RAD" is a 100% BOGUS dx.  Facilities claiming to treat RAD are by extension bogus.

This from an actual licensed clinical social worker, if my memory is correct.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes