Author Topic: How widespread is support for medical marijuana?  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
How widespread is support for medical marijuana?
« on: July 23, 2003, 06:17:00 PM »
S t a t e   L a w s   o n  M a r i j u a n a

As your attorney, it is my duty to inform you that it is not important that you understand what I'm doing or why you're paying me so much money.  What's important is that you continue to do so.
--Hunter S. Thompson's Samoan Attorney

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 12:30:00 PM »
All of the sudden West Virginia seems a little more appealing to me as a place to re-locate to...  :cool:

Offline demitria

• View Profile
    • http://involution.org
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2003, 02:41:00 AM »
Medical marijuana actually has a great deal of support - and I was surprised to realize just how far that support has spread (i.e. it has gone beyond just California, my home state, and gone beyond the community of marijuana users and sympathizers and become accepted by people I once thought would autoreject anything and everything drug-positive.

I also realized something recently: the main lobby against medical pot, and ALL DRUG POLICY REFORM ESPECIALLY that which is related to marijuana, is made up of people connected to the pharmaceutical industry.  Yes, folks! These guys REALLY get in a dither over the idea that there's a *relatively* safe and extraordinarily effective tonic for a whole spectrum of medical woes that LITERALLY "grows like a weed" and CANNOT be PATENTED.  What's more, the liquor companies also seem to be huge supporters of SOS and DFAF, too.  Golly, I couldn't imagine what THEIR reason would be...why don't they quit getting freaked out over the competition and instead look into doing some farming...

These people - at least the ones in charge of things, at the very top level - do not fight drug policy reform out of fear for "the health of our young people, our nation's most precious resource" (An actual quote from a prohibitionist web site: gee, that's nice, thinking of kids as "resources" always makes them feel so loved!) No, if that were the case, they'd be a little more concerned about things like air pollution getting so bad in urban areas that people literally have trouble breathing on some days...but you never hear a word from them about these toxic substances entering our bodies that we have NO CHOICE in the matter of imbibing.  Nor do they seem concerned about the devastating cuts to educational and health services for youth - all just so war budgets can be maintained and increased, and the invading US forces in other nations can be kept supplied.  

Those who aren't in the inner circles might really believe their own BS, since "drugs" are such an easy scapegoat. In their stilted, twisted mindsets, the word "drugs" represents a singular monstrous entity - much like "terrorism" - which one can do battle with and overcome.  They believe the BS churned out by people whose livelihoods would be knocked asunder were drugs legalized or decriminalized.  

A person will, after all, nearly always take up whatever crusade there is that aligns with their position in life, i.e. their careers. Indeed, just after the repeal of the Volstead Act, Harry Anslinger first thought to rile up the public with bombastic propaganda about the "demon weed".  Of course he did! He was a Treasury cop, which in those days meant "Prohibition enforcer", and with the end of prohibition was to come the end of his usefulness.  Therefore, he created a need for his particular talent; enforcing substance prohibition.  Things have not changed a bit since the 1930s on this count.

Locate the blind spot in the culture--the place where the culture isn't looking, because it dare not--because if it were to look there, its previous values would dissolve.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1561769118/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>Terence McKenna

dmt

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2003, 09:16:00 AM »
I support the use of marijuana oopps I mean medical marijuana.

No I am serious here I am very upset that the federal government is over riding the states individual rights to deem what they think is right ie: Washington I believe and set about charging them for using mecdicinal weed.

I hate fucking repblicans.

As your attorney, it is my duty to inform you that it is not important that you understand what I'm doing or why you're paying me so much money.  What's important is that you continue to do so.
--Hunter S. Thompson's Samoan Attorney

or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 09:37:00 AM »
I don't mind fucking republicans, as long as they're hot...  :grin: Sorry, couldn't resist..

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2003, 11:19:00 PM »
And speaking of Republicans, it looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger has been elected governor of California.  :eek: How about Alice Cooper for governor of Arizona? (he lives there) He even already has a song called "Elected" that could be used...it's on Billion Dollar Babies:

http://www.norbry.net/alice-cooper/song/e1

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2003, 03:48:00 PM »
Click here  :cool:

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2003, 08:15:00 PM »
To quote someone near and dear to us all

and they will know who they are....

The only urine sample they are going to get from me is a TASTE TEST!

::bigsmilebounce::  :grin:

The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are constitutional rights secure.
-- Albert Einstein

or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2003, 08:23:00 PM »
Oh and Alex do not even get me going again I have been ranting and raving since it happened and posted a treastie on the teen help section

I'd say what is this world coming to but look at it already.

I'd take Alice Cooper anytime.

Arnold pro-nazi steroid poppin sexist uh oh put the soapbox back in the car its Friday

peace on earth and may all the stupid people stop trying to get positions of power amen

Wherever the standard of freedom and Independence has been or shall be unfurled, there will [America's] heart, her benedictions and her prayers be. But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own.

--John Quincy Adams, Speech to the U.S. House of Representatives [July 4, 1821]