Author Topic: Brace yerselves, folks. . .  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Brace yerselves, folks. . .
« on: July 14, 2008, 12:03:59 PM »
I'm about to start mucking around. There are too many forums on this server. It's damned near impossible to follow a conversation anymore and people are not meeting each other. So I'm going to start merging forums together again. I'm starting with these ones because these are the ones I'm paying attention to lately.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
Re: Brace yerselves, folks. . .
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 12:42:09 PM »
Do it.

Seriously - do it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 01:37:06 PM »
I also think it's a good idea. The old forum that bumped active forums to the top seemed to work pretty well, if that's possible to do again. It looks to me like the moderated forums are a lot slower so I would leave the combined forums unmoderated, but that's just my opinion.

Offline 3xsaSeedling

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 02:26:38 PM »
personally?...
anything that can't be retrieved has a purpose
(what's that I hear? ((((beepbeepbeep))) a
back-up alarm?!)
and NOTHING is irreplaceable-not even us :*(

:hug:CAUTION:  lane merges ahead.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 12:25:28 PM by 3xsaSeedling »
Of all the things I\'ve ever lost, I miss my mind the most.
Wait...I found \'IT\'!!    
oh joy

"Fresh baked daily!"

Offline Botched Programming

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 04:31:37 PM »
If the Straight Inc. forum was active as it once was when I first started coming here, I may have objected. But with the ebb and flow of the traffic here lately I would say go ahead and merge them.

But just in case the Straight forum does pick momentum back up can it be reversed???

Thanks,
Botched

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 02:00:28 AM »
Here's my two cents worth.  Those who attended Straight in the 70's are now in their mid-forties and have pretty much reached closure.  We cannot share it with others or discuss it without losing people's focus.  Closure is a personal thing that has to be accomplished on an individual basis.  The victims of the godforsaken MILLER NEWTOWN REGIME are now in their early to late 30's and are still caught in the turmoil of repressed rage and hostility, and their past experiences  most likely surface in their day to day lives.  Ditto for those who attended Sarasota Straight, or any of the POST REAGAN YEARS Straight Spinoff programs.

We might as well lump it all into one ball of wax, because the candle it eventually will make will burn far longer than 5 or 6 individual candles all vying for the same attention, respect, and eventual closure.

On a personal level, I still would like to see how Straight affected the youth population of Pinellas County turned into a weekly Television Series, but I lost heart in it.  I did'nt care enough about it to make others sit up and take notice.  I was too terrified of rejection to reach out and contact potential supporters.  I did'nt think what I had to say would be good enough, or interesting enough.  What was I crazy?  I can start the opening episode with Gail Stevenson splitting from her oldcomer wearing nothing but underclothes and a bathrobe frantically beating on a stranger's door at 2 in the morning, being let in by kindhearted but thoroughly confused people, and when she is barely connected to a cry for help on their phone, three or four goons burst into the strangers living room and drag Gail out kicking and screaming.  That kind of drama beats the living shit out of "America's Got Talent"  or "Last Comic Standing."  I just need to find the right combination of stimulants and support.
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 02:28:43 PM »
Quote from: "Bag Head"
I also think it's a good idea. The old forum that bumped active forums to the top seemed to work pretty well, if that's possible to do again. It looks to me like the moderated forums are a lot slower so I would leave the combined forums unmoderated, but that's just my opinion.

Well, there's not a way right now to order the forums by activity. But I think that if I can merge a lot of them back together then the default ordering of threads in those forums will serve the purpose well enough. A lot of people have made this same mistake jumping to SMF and then finding out that you can't go back. So some geeks are working out the technical isses involved in doing that. We're waiting for them to get the process down well enough so that it's worth the time and trouble to do it. Patience and please excuse yet another bone headed move on my part.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 02:29:45 PM »
Quote from: "Botched Programming"
If the Straight Inc. forum was active as it once was when I first started coming here, I may have objected. But with the ebb and flow of the traffic here lately I would say go ahead and merge them.

But just in case the Straight forum does pick momentum back up can it be reversed???

Thanks,
Botched

Yes. We can always split off new forums or child forums whenever a particular issue merrits special attention.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 02:40:05 PM »
Hey Jerk,
   How's it goin? Honestly, I don't think you've got the makings of a weekly show there. I do think it's worth doing one documentary for youtube or something. Maybe an occasional thing whenever a good idea occures.

But these forums are not really all about personal healing. That wasn't even part of my intention when I set this up. It's your personal business how you want to engage w/ other folk who share an interest in these topics.

I'm more interested in public disclosure. Right now, there's a little boy sitting in group who has tried at least a couple of times to plead for help from the back seat of the host parents car. I don't think the cops understand the kind of danger he's in, they think he just doesn't like being in a drug rehab. I would love to find someone who remembers the details of that incident when a newcomer boy was bleeding through his jeans in group. They started the oldcomer over, but three months later the magical 7 steps and group had cured him of his tendency to rape little boys so they started sending him little boys again.

If we had fewer forums, maybe you guys would come across such info. in other sectors and be able to help one another out with things like this.

Anyway, no objections so I'm just going to do it. Look for similar mergings all over the server.