Author Topic: AC/DC Quote about Heavy Metal Genre  (Read 2567 times)

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
AC/DC Quote about Heavy Metal Genre
« on: July 03, 2008, 06:08:12 PM »
AC/DC didn't particularly like the "Heavy Metal" tag they were given in the early 80s.

Malcolm Young: "Bon [Scott] used to call it 'tin foil.' Heavy metal was always to us studded belts and leather and makeup and streaks in their hair and spandex. Heavy metal was always trash! It was Uriah Heep and stuff like that. They got the wrong end of the stick on their influences. They'd been influenced by the wrong players or whatever, but real feel never entered their vocabulary!"

Angus Young: "I always looked at the metal thing more as music by numbers. It's been devoid actually of a lot of feeling. It's more concentrating on technique. Like now you see a lot of them going at it fast and furious."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
Re: AC/DC Quote about Heavy Metal Genre
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 06:55:40 PM »
I like AC/DC.  Have since I was a lad. Saw 'em in 89.  I never thought of them as metal though, more like hard rock, or perhaps more accurately hard blues.  Despite being over-played these days, they are among the best.   
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline The Fornits

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 07:50:31 PM »
I just found a most delicious blues hole. Check out the Eagle's if you're ever bummin' around in Irwin on a Thursday night. Gil Snyder and the Mystic Knights host an open mic night w/ fucking phenomenal special guests. It's only a $3 cover and $2 drafts and really good BBQ. Last week it was Guitar Zack and this week Kenny Blake and this kid Guitar Shorty out of Boston. Check em out at http://www.myspace.com/Gypsycabrock

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 11:28:11 PM »
Quote from: "starry-eyed pirate"
I like AC/DC.  Have since I was a lad. Saw 'em in 89.  I never thought of them as metal though, more like hard rock, or perhaps more accurately hard blues.  Despite being over-played these days, they are among the best.

Me, too! Since I was 14. They (along with Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith) were my next favorite band after I got tired of Kiss. Highway to Hell first, then Back In Black. Both were great albums, but I had never heard Powerage, Live from The Atlantic Studios, High Voltage, or even Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (the album). The two albums I had heard I liked a lot, and would have liked the others had someone turned me onto them back then.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 11:48:36 PM by Froderik »