Author Topic: Carolina Springs fire?  (Read 4949 times)

Offline Bunnie

• View Profile
Carolina Springs fire?
« on: July 02, 2008, 10:18:03 PM »
http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:Ys ... d=13&gl=us

I found this on Heal, just in case no one saw it.
TEEN LIBERTY/TEEN TORTURE INDUSTRY NEWS

Fire destroys dorm at school for troubled teens--June 26th, 2008--

ABBEVILLE, S.C. --Authorities say fire destroyed a dorm at a boarding school for troubled teens in Abbeville County, but no one was injured in the blaze. Carolina Springs Academy Director Elaine Davis says several students returning to the dorm after lunch Wednesday smelled smoke.  Fire officials say the blaze burned for more than two hours and destroyed the dorm at the school which specializes in helping students that aren't reaching their potential because of their behavior.  The school has moved the boys to another dorm on campus. The Red Cross plans to give them bedding, clothes and school supplies.  (Webmaster Note: Carolina Springs Academy is a WWASPS program and confirmedly abusive.  It should be closed, permanently.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Carolina Springs fire?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 02:45:50 PM »
Yup, heard of it. Shame it didn't burn the whole place, though.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 03:11:36 PM »
Quote from: "Maria"

We don't need no water....

I dedicate this to Carolina Springs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdF6M2FBKG4
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 04:18:12 PM »
what...
no smoke detectors?
no sprinkler system?

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 05:12:04 PM »
Quote from: "UYBVA"
what...
no smoke detectors?
no sprinkler system?
Guess they didn't need no water.
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 05:27:27 PM »

Offline Bunnie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 09:27:56 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
Quote from: "Maria"

We don't need no water....

I dedicate this to Carolina Springs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdF6M2FBKG4

Great video .  Can't CS afford to buy the kids clothes and blankets, geeze.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 09:47:37 PM »
Quote from: "Bunnie"
http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:Ys ... d=13&gl=us

I found this on Heal, just in case no one saw it.
TEEN LIBERTY/TEEN TORTURE INDUSTRY NEWS

Fire destroys dorm at school for troubled teens--June 26th, 2008--

ABBEVILLE, S.C. --Authorities say fire destroyed a dorm at a boarding school for troubled teens in Abbeville County, but no one was injured in the blaze. Carolina Springs Academy Director Elaine Davis says several students returning to the dorm after lunch Wednesday smelled smoke.  Fire officials say the blaze burned for more than two hours and destroyed the dorm at the school which specializes in helping students that aren't reaching their potential because of their behavior.  The school has moved the boys to another dorm on campus. The Red Cross plans to give them bedding, clothes and school supplies.

Ah yes.  The Red Cross  And what a fantastic track record they have.

The Red Cross was allowed to visit Terezin once. The village of Terezin was spruced up for the occasion. Certain inmates were dressed up and told to stand at strategic places along the specially designated route through Terezin. Shop windows along that carefully guarded path were filled with goods for the day. One young mother remembers seeing the bakery window and shelves suddenly filled with baked goods the inmates had never seen during their time at Terezin. Even the candy shop window overflowed with bon bons creating a fantastic illusion she would never forget.

When the Red Cross representative appeared before this young mother, she remembers being asked how it was to live in Terezin during those days. Her reply implored the questioner to look around. Be sure and look around, as she herself rolled her own widely opened eyes around in an exaggerated manner. The Red Cross reported dryly that while war time conditions made all life difficult, life at Terezin was acceptable given all of the pressures. The Red Cross concluded that the Jews were being treated all right.

Moral of the story: if you can spruce up a concentration camp for outsiders, the same can be done with a program (and has been done).

Offline Bunnie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 12:37:03 AM »
Someday the stories of surviors of Program's will be compared with what happened to the Jewish people in Germany.
There will still be programmies saying " we have lost few, but saved many". Many people will be disgusted with them and they will know they were WRONG!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 12:47:29 AM »
Did program staff climb on the barn in which you students were burned and douse its roof with gasoline?

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 02:15:49 AM »
Quote from: "Survivor"
Did program staff climb on the barn in which you students were burned and douse its roof with gasoline?
I figured such comments were inevitable when I brought up that example.  In no way was I comparing the severity of what went on in concentration camps with that which goes on in programs.  What I was doing was pointing out that if it's possible to fool inspectors when you're committing genocide, it's definitely possible to cover up a smaller crime.  I'm not interested in the severity of what happens.  I know if it can happen, it will happen.  What interests me is how it can happen.  Hitler was a political cult leader who got a little too popular and a little too much power... natural consequences of that social situation ensue.  When there are similar patterns of totalist control, regardless of scale, abuse will occur to the maximum possible extent power allows...  and where there is absolute power and no consequences (which can only happen in a dictatorship, really...  you get genocide... each and every time.)  Think about that.

There are more than a few similarities between dictatorships, and programs.  Cults go from little to big but share similar patterns along the way.  When it's a one on one situation, such as an abusive relationship, one partner attempts to control the other's communciation, who he/she can associate with, etc.  The same exactly things happen in cults, and the same in dictatorships.  I grew up in Romania where I heard stories all the time of how people (on a regular basis... this stuff happened to everybody) were forced to regularly confess their crimes to the group, even things they did not do.  People became informers on each other and were rewarded (but nobody knew who the informers were, so nobody trusted anybody).  You can't deny that the same exact things don't happen in programs.  It's the same exact pattern.  Those who spoke out, otherwise presented a problem to the regieme, were sent off to prison camps...  sometimes it was just because some neighbor who didn't like you had denounced you.  This could be seen as analogous to the "stepmom" syndrome, where a re-married father bends to the will of the new wife to send the little bastard off to programs for no reason other than to be rid of the responsibilities of parenting.  I could go on, but I think you see my point.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 02:50:09 AM »
I'm not interested in the severity of what happens.  I know if it can happen, it will happen.  What interests me is how it can happen.  Hitler was a political cult leader who got a little too popular and a little too much power... natural consequences of that social situation ensue.  When there are similar patterns of totalist control, regardless of scale, abuse will occur to the maximum possible extent power allows...  and where there is absolute power and no consequences (which can only happen in a dictatorship, really...  you get genocide... each and every time.)  Think about that.

There is no inevitable slide from one-on-one discipline to the total extermination of human life, which only regulation can prevent.

There were many factors working toward the Holocaust in Europe. I don't see those factors as applying here. I don't see program staff and administration turning genocidal, given the freedom. Or you. Or me. Holocausts are possible. They're not inevitable.

What you're saying is what every kid resents hearing: if you start smoking cigarettes, you will end up dead of an overdose. That's rarely the case. The same holds good for a person's capacity to injure another.

I share your interest in what leads to human pathology. I disagree with your belief in the inevitability of that outcome.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 03:38:00 AM »
I grew up in Romania where I heard stories all the time of how people (on a regular basis... this stuff happened to everybody) were forced to regularly confess their crimes to the group, even things they did not do.  People became informers on each other and were rewarded (but nobody knew who the informers were, so nobody trusted anybody).  You can't deny that the same exact things don't happen in programs.  It's the same exact pattern.  Those who spoke out, otherwise presented a problem to the regieme, were sent off to prison camps...  sometimes it was just because some neighbor who didn't like you had denounced you.  This could be seen as analogous to the "stepmom" syndrome, where a re-married father bends to the will of the new wife to send the little bastard off to programs for no reason other than to be rid of the responsibilities of parenting.  I could go on, but I think you see my point.

On the other hand, I viewed the attempt by my program to break our spirits, to make us complicitous in our own oppression, as the key program imperative, and I resisted as doggedly as I could.  I attribute my rejection of the program in large part to my Jewishness.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 03:46:42 AM »
On the other hand, I viewed the attempt by my program to break our spirits, to make us complicitous in our own oppression, as the key program imperative, and I resisted as doggedly as I could.  I attribute my rejection of the program in large part to my Jewishness.

Botched the previous post. The part quoted above is a reply to Psy.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 03:58:07 AM »
I'm not interested in the severity of what happens.  I know if it can happen, it will happen.  What interests me is how it can happen.  Hitler was a political cult leader who got a little too popular and a little too much power... natural consequences of that social situation ensue.  When there are similar patterns of totalist control, regardless of scale, abuse will occur to the maximum possible extent power allows...  and where there is absolute power and no consequences (which can only happen in a dictatorship, really...  you get genocide... each and every time.)  Think about that.

There is no inevitable slide from one-on-one discipline to the total extermination of human life, which only regulation can prevent.

Well. First off.  I didn't say one on one discipline.  I said a totalist enviornment.

Now ask youself two questions:

1. Why such an enviornment exists in the first place?  Because somebody desires power over others.  Whether it is to help them where then cannot help themselves, or out of some malicious motive, it doesn't matter (and many would argue power tends to corrupt anyway).  In order to maintain the enviornment... that particular system, it necessitates certain practices:

2. What conditions must be met to maintain that environment?  For example,  In any totalist system, there will be dissidents.  Since it is necessary to control communication to maintain the thought reform milieu / totalist environment, those dissidents must be dealt with.  In a program, kids can be coerced to comply, isolated, or if all else fails, thrown out and sent to a worse program.  A program has an "out point" that does not necessitate murder, as well as consequences to such things (such as bad press for a dead kid).  Even if nothign is accomplished...  why should the program care, since a longer "treatment" means more money, ultimately?  In communist Russia, in the beginning, people were exiled...  When it became clear that nobody particularly minded being exiled, and they would later speak out in public about the internal workings of the broken system, it became necessary for the survival of the system and the "greater good" to exterminate dissidents/suspected dissidents or imprison them for life.  Since there was no authority higher than the state, and the country's communication with the outside was controlled, nobody batted an eye until many years later when books such as the Gulag Archipelago were published.  Think what kind of things are necessary for a program to survive and profit in a competitive market (where abusive programs can inherantly have an edge in marketing due to their, for example, glowing "sucess stories"... where fradulent program have an edge in admissions since they had out kickbacks to ed-cons) and come to your own conclusions.  Perception is everything in this business.

There were many factors working toward the Holocaust in Europe. I don't see those factors as applying here.

You don't think teenagers are the new "nigger"?  For chrissakes, you can drag em behind a Truck in texas and get away with it as long as you call it "therapeutic" and claim that the ends justify such extreme means.  It's not just teenagers, either.  It's any group demonized by the state or the press.  Fear is used to control.

I don't see program staff and administration turning genocidal, given the freedom. Or you. Or me.

They you are blind.  Look into the Stanford Prison Experiments, or some of Milgram's experiments.  Anything is possible if you rationalize the ends as justifying any means, including the deprivation others' liberties.

Holocausts are possible. They're not inevitable.

What you're saying is what every kid resents hearing: if you start smoking cigarettes, you will end up dead of an overdose. That's rarely the case. The same holds good for a person's capacity to injure another.

I share your interest in what leads to human pathology. I disagree with your belief in the inevitability of that outcome.

I'll concede that it is theoretically possible that a benevolent dictator could exist, but look at history.  In what totalist dictatorship/enviornment has abuse not occurred, usually progressing in severity until a snapping point?  As i've pointed out: dissidents must be dealt with, lest the dissent spread and threaten the "greater good".
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 04:14:56 AM by psy »