Author Topic: Son in Eckerds program  (Read 2523 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Son in Eckerds program
« on: March 01, 2008, 02:46:53 AM »
my son, 13, was sent to an eckerd's camp in florida by a judge for petty theft. it was his second time in front of the same judge.

to make a long story short.. my son sent me a letter about a month ago describbing some events that have left me scared for his safety. he told me that the chief in charge of his group had let someone in the group attack another boy in the middle of their nightly pow wow.

i contacted the camp, but they brushed me off saying everything is fine.

how can i find out more about this and how can i help my son?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Son in Eckerds program
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 03:33:08 AM »
It is a tough program. Use all your ressources stressing the staff and visit as much as you can.

I hope you get him home alive but it is uncertain in programs where they let bullies live out their handywork and the staff is not much better themselves - see:

Mom 'never the same' after child's death, Restraints reduced in Eckerd youth facilities, Ocala.com
Eckerd youth camp counselor arrested on sex charges, Ocala.com

Could you not contact your lawyer and report this incident? Maybe if it is reported you could have him transferred to a more local facility.

International Survivor Action Committee have their own little shameful collection of awful things that has happened at this program. Maybe you should contact them.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 04:11:16 AM »
im not sure what to say after reading those articles. i don't have the money for a lawyer. if i had the money for a good lawyer he wouldn't be down in clewiston in the first place.

is there anyone who went to an eckerds camp here on this website?

i would really like to talk to them.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 03:06:09 PM »
It will go faster if you took a look of the myspace group of survivors and tried to contact them:

http://groups.myspace.com/eckerdcampers

The tormenters have their own group Eckerd Youth Alternatives

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 08:49:47 PM »
I would also recommend that you gather as much information together as you can, and get it to that judge. 
"Motivation is everything. You can do the work of two people, but you can\'t be two people. Instead, you have to inspire the next guy down the line and get him to inspire his people. " - Lee Iacocca

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 12:11:26 AM »
Get ahold of TSW and he can help you. He was a staff member at an eckerd's camp before going to work at another place. Get an account and private message Che Gookin.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 12:57:24 AM »
Psy the admin at fornits has exposed TSW as a turncoat. Under no circumstances contact this person. He will betray you and your child to the Eckerds.

DON'T do it! Psy has exposed this person for being a hacker, liar, fraud, and turncoat!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 12:18:49 PM »
i'm not sure this is the right place for me to be looking. thank you, but i'll go someplace else.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 12:45:10 PM »
Quote from: "Slayer"
Psy the admin at fornits has exposed TSW as a turncoat. Under no circumstances contact this person. He will betray you and your child to the Eckerds.

DON'T do it! Psy has exposed this person for being a hacker, liar, fraud, and turncoat!

I did nothing of the sort.  I speculated on the causes of his (especially recent) erratic behavior. that is all.  For the most part, this forum is completely unmoderated, so anybody can (and probably does) post here.  My advice to this mother is to be distrustful and cynical towards everybody until you get to know them (and even then).

Listen to stories, see if they're consistent with what your son is telling you, etc...  Trust your gut.  NEVER let the program control communication between you and him. Demand to speak to him alone, and do not disclose anything he tells you to the program (he'll likely get in trouble).

All that being said, DO contact isaccorp.org, search for information there, and try and see if you can convince the judge to let him come home.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 04:00:27 PM »
A little boy was restrained to death at this program by a 300 lb. plus counselor.

Google Mikey Wiltsie.

http://www.teenadvocatesusa.org/INMEMORIAM.html

Restraint related deaths are the number one reason kids are killed in private and state run programs.

Has your kid reported being restrained in any way, shape or form?

If so, investigate it immediately.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 04:18:46 PM »
Michael Wiltsie told his mother he was "scared" of being restrained again and it wasn't too long after he told his mothat this that he WAS restrained again - this time for the last time.

Tell the judge you don't want to take a chance of having your child end up being a statistic on the long list of kids killed in the name of treatment or rehabilitation.

Fight for your kid!!!