Author Topic: Define the Ideal TBS  (Read 12713 times)

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Re: Define the Ideal TBS
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2008, 03:10:51 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
There is no evidence that any of these facilities have therapeutic benefit. They exist solely to make money for their owners. Name a program whose owners are scams and con artists. It can't be done.

There are many advantages to treatment in a residential facility. As Wong (1999, p. 42) reports, “Adolescents with long-standing and intense aggressive, destructive, and disruptive behavior are not good candidates for short-term, outpatient, or in-home treatment. Simply put, youth in this state do not participate in or cooperate with therapy. Some type of extended residential or alternative living situation is probably necessary to provide a secure and controlled environment in which to instigate behavior change.” Inpatient care can provide immediate help in a crisis situation, and can remove the client from dangerous situations (Barker, 1974). More so than the average outpatient program, residential facilities offer more opportunities for therapeutic contact, more monitoring of dangerous and disturbing behaviors, and a more direct evaluation of aftercare options. Assessments that are hard to do as an outpatient can be done at these facilities, and at multiple intervals, and hence the reactions to medication and other interventions can be watched particularly closely.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2008, 03:40:17 PM »
Quote from: "TheWho"
There is no evidence that any of these facilities have therapeutic benefit. They exist solely to make money for their owners. Name a program whose owners are scams and con artists. It can't be done.

There are many advantages to treatment in a residential facility.

Well, we're going to need more than your word on that.  As soon as you can cite your sources for the EVIDENCE BASED, PEER REVIEWED, LONG TERM, CLINICAL STUDIES that Wong used to prove any of that, maybe we can discuss it.

And again.......those who are claiming 'results' and 'success' bear the burden of proof!!!!!   Sheeeeesh.  Y'all have had over 4 decades.  You'd think you could come up with at least ONE by now, no?

:ftard:

Sorry for the drive by posting guys.  Busy busy busy.  Y'all have a good night! :rasta:

Annie

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2008, 03:42:01 PM »

I know!!!  You'd think by now they'd come up with at least something.  But nope.  Nada, zip, zilch, zero. 

'Tards.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2008, 03:48:22 PM »
Quote from: "AB"

There are many advantages to treatment in a residential facility.

Well, we're going to need more than your word on that.  As soon as you can cite your sources for the EVIDENCE BASED, PEER REVIEWED, LONG TERM, CLINICAL STUDIES that Wong used to prove any of that, maybe we can discuss it.

And again.......those who are claiming 'results' and 'success' bear the burden of proof!!!!!   Sheeeeesh.  Y'all have had over 4 decades.  You'd think you could come up with at least ONE by now, no?

:ftard:

Sorry for the drive by posting guys.  Busy busy busy.  Y'all have a good night! :rasta:

Annie

Anne Boleyn... Here ya go.  This study was performed in 2002:

Teatment Outcome Study

and there was an author (pulitzer prize) who followed a group of kids through the program for 16 months and wrote a book on it.

Click here for link

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2008, 03:54:29 PM »
Now where are your studies that state these places are ineffective or abusive?

Come on guys... all this talk and no links.... try to make it a study performed this century though I wont be too picky.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2008, 03:58:39 PM »
Now where are your studies that state these places are ineffective or abusive?

Come on guys... all this talk and no links.... try to make it a study performed this century though I wont be too picky.

you don't have them bookmarked? they've been provided to you numerous times.

and.... if the best of the best (Aspen- Excel)
http://fornits.com/smf/http://www.forni ... 87#p308587
considers illegal arrest and allowing adult jail inmates to smear vasoline on a kids ass as good 'therapy', what are the worse of the worse doing?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2008, 04:05:40 PM »

Here ya go.  This study was performed in 2002:

Teatment Outcome Study

Once again.  A paper written by a grad student DOES NOT A PEER REVIEWED, LONG TERM, EVIDENCE BASED, CLINICAL RESEARCH MAKE!!! C'mon, you're not really this stupid are you?

and there was an author (pulitzer prize) who followed a group of kids through the program for 16 months and wrote a book on it.

Click here for link

And that one is written by Dave Marcus, a PAID INDUSTRY CONSULTANT.

And again for the slow and stupid.   The burden of proof falls upon those claiming success!!!!!!!  But I have posted them many times before.  Who just dismisses them as not related to the TBS industry if the studies use terms like RTC or Bootcamp.  I'm late for a date with my long lost, travelling husband so if someone else wants to pull those up, feel free. (Deb probably has them relatively handy if someone wants to speak with her). If not, I'll do it later.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2008, 04:13:17 PM »
tsk,tsk,  Anne Boleyn lets not loose your head.

I provided a study and a Pulitzer prized author...  you may think you can debunk them with your red ink, but they show the industry to be effective.

Lets try this again... show us the type of study you mean?  Provide us a study that shows this industry to be ineffective or abusive.  If you expect others to provide evidence then you need to be the one to start.

This study was performed in 2002:

Teatment Outcome Study

Click here for link to Dave Marcus

The truth is there are plenty of studies out there but you will not see a single one talked about on fornits becasue they all show TBS's to have a positive impact on childen at risk.  Anne and the others know that.  This is why they get so pissed when I put one up here.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 04:36:07 PM by TheWho »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2008, 04:49:11 PM »
The following is the summary submitted to the APA Press Office to announce our symposium presentation at the 2006 Convention of the American Psychological Association in New Orleans:

Exploitation of Youth & Families: Perspectives on Unregulated Residential Treatment

Allison Pinto, Ph.D.
Monica Epstein, Ph.D.
Paul Lewis, B.B.A.
Kathryn Whitehead, B.A.

August 12, 2006
APA Convention 2006

On August 10, 2006, the American Psychological Association issued a statement reaffirming its unequivocal position against torture and abuse. APA President Gerald P. Koocher, Ph.D., stated, “Our intention is to empower and encourage members to do everything they can to prevent violations of basic human rights – at Guantanamo Bay or anywhere else they may occur. It is not enough for us to express outrage or to codify acceptable practices. As psychologists, we must use every means at our disposal to prevent abuse and other forms of cruel or degrading treatment (APA Press Release, August 10, 2006).”

This presentation focuses on mistreatment, abuse and human rights violations that youth have been experiencing in unregulated residential treatment facilities in states across the U.S., and calls for psychologists to actively respond in order to safeguard and protect youth and their families from mistreatment at the hands of U.S. owned and operated companies and programs.

To place the current concerns in context: Note that it is now illegal to use any of the following practices with regard to the treatment of U.S. detainees in Guantanamo Bay and other facilities:
o Use of phobias & fears to induce stress
o Physical training (forced calisthenics)
o Exposure to cold weather
o Sleep Deprivation
o Nutritional Deprivation
o Slapping face or stomach
o Stress positions (e.g. prolonged standing)
o Isolation greater than 30 days
o Forced Labor
o Denial of Use of Bathroom

However, each of these practices is being used to “modify the behavior” of U.S. adolescents in unregulated, private residential facilities, in the name of “therapeutic” schooling and programming.

Dr. Monica Epstein will provide an overview of the phenomena of unregulated residential treatment for youth. She will describe the private industry of residential programs that has flourished over the past 10-15 years, claiming to meet the needs of children with emotional and behavioral problems and their families. Marketing themselves as therapeutic boarding schools, emotional growth programs, and wilderness programs, among other labels, these programs offer an “innovative alternative” to families in crisis. In many states, these programs are not required to meet state licensing requirements for the residential mental health care they provide because they are not publicly funded or because they self-identify as schools rather than mental health treatment programs.

Highly disturbing reports have been published in the public media describing harsh discipline, inappropriate seclusion and restraint, substandard psychotherapeutic interventions conducted by unqualified staff, medical and nutritional neglect, and rights violations.

Kathryn Whitehead, B.A., will provide a first-hand account of her experience as an adolescent who attended an unregulated residential facility, where she experienced forced labor, exposure to extreme environmental conditions, mandatory exercise, humiliation, and patient as well as human rights violations. She will also share quotes illustrating the experiences of other youth who have recently responded to an online survey conducted by Allison Pinto, Ph.D., Whitehead, and colleagues at the University of South Florida to clarify the experience of adolescence in residential facilities. Youth experiences, in their own words, include:

o They “scared me into submission… I felt I was entering a teen prison…”
o “…had to get naked and squat while turning around in circles…”
o “I was made to get naked and humiliated- do jumping jacks…”
o “They didn’t talk to me like a human or try to comfort me as I cried…”
o “Physical activity was endless…it was meant to break us…”
o “Sleep deprivation in the longer 3-5 day workshops accompanied by very cold room temp. and carefully chosen music played at high volumes, was at times agonizing…”
o Newer students “were denied sleep until the older students were satisfied with the newcomers ‘progress’ each evening…”
o “Girls peed themselves…”
o “Many times I was hungry after I ate and couldn’t get more food…”
o “They treated us like we had no rights…we had no locks on the bathroom…staff would watch us dress, shower and sometimes even use the toilet…”
o “Some people were in isolation for months, lying on their stomach eating out of a bowl…”
o “The room was 7×7 feet, it was always cold…I remember screaming a lot…when I wasn’t, I would curl up in a ball in the corner and sing to myself…”
o “I was sexually abused while in restraints…”
o “I was pepper sprayed…”
o “My therapist stood behind me and whispered things about my rape, while playing the song I was raped to, for 4 consecutive groups sessions…”
o “At times we were forced to eat our food in the ‘push up position’ like dogs…”
o “I broke my finger while in the program and was not allowed to go to the doctor…”
o “I tried telling my parents what actually going on at that place, I was severely disciplined and my parents were told I was being manipulative…I was only telling the truth”
o “I still wake up with nightmares…”

Paul Lewis, B.B.S., will provide a first-hand account of his family’s experience with unregulated residential programming. The Lewis’ sent their 14-year-old son to a wilderness program where his rights were denied and he was mistreated, leading to his death. Mr. Lewis will explain that the intent in enrolling his son was to help improve his self esteem, learn strategies to deal with his depression and earn the necessary credits to complete 8th grade. Once enrolled, his son was not allowed to communicate with his parents, and when his parents called each day to inquire about how he was doing, they were told he was fine and assured he would be safe. They only found out later that this was not the case. On the sixth day in the program the Lewis’ son slashed his arm four times with a program supplied pocketknife; he then approached the adults in charge and told them, “Take this away from me before I hurt myself any more, I can’t take it any more. I want to call my Mom and I want to go home”. The next day the head therapist, who was not trained as a therapist, decided their son was just trying to manipulate them to get out of the program and go home, so he ignored their son’s cry for help. That night, their son hung himself only several feet from his makeshift campsite.

Allison Pinto, Ph.D. will present preliminary findings from an online survey of young adults who participated in residential programs as adolescents. She will report findings based on information from the 162 respondents who described their experience in 36 programs in 17 states labeled as therapeutic boarding schools, emotional growth academies, and behavior modification programs (as opposed to licensed residential treatment centers), in which they had no opportunity to contact an advocate if they had concerns or complaints while attending the program. Preliminary findings reveal that “patient” rights violations, inhumane treatment and abuse were reported by many youth.

With regard to “patient” rights violations, 120 youth reported that their rights were never described to them upon admission, 125 reported that their calls were monitored, 123 had letters monitored, and 114 indicated their conversations or letters were filtered or interrupted.

In terms of the violations of patients’ rights to least restrictive intervention, 82 experienced seclusion and 42 experienced restraint, and these interventions were often prompted not only by evidence of danger to self or others, but rather breaking a program rule (N = 90), saying something disrespectful (N = 68), cursing (N = 62), making a face (N = 42), or talking out of turn (N = 40).

Program practices reflective of inhumane treatment were reported by many youth, in terms of forced labor (N = 92), denial of access to bathrooms (N = 87), scare tactics (N = 84), excessive exercise (N = 75), exposure to elements — extreme heat or cold (N = 74), sleep deprivation (N = 61), nutritional deprivation (N = 51), and physical punishment (N = 36).

Furthermore, 76 individuals reported that they were emotionally, physically or sexually abused by the staff.

In response to participation in residential programming, 57 individuals endorsed items consistent with a diagnosis of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, although only 2 individuals indicated that they had received a diagnosis of PTSD prior to program participation.

Of the 118 individuals who provided feedback regarding their satisfaction with the program, 90 reported that they would not recommend the program to others.

These findings will be discussed in terms of urgent needs to:
o Increase family awareness
o Increase professional/system awareness
o Increase protections within programs
o Increase protections within states (with regard to licensing/regulating, suspected child abuse reporting, and protection & advocacy)
o Conduct research / evaluation
o Provide resources & supports for youth & families who have been harmed

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2008, 04:58:46 PM »
and further

Benefits of Residential Treatment for Adolescents
There are many advantages to treatment in a residential facility. As Wong (1999, p. 42) reports, “Adolescents with long-standing and intense aggressive, destructive, and disruptive behavior are not good candidates for short-term, outpatient, or in-home treatment. Simply put, youth in this state do not participate in or cooperate with therapy. Some type of extended residential or alternative living situation is probably necessary to provide a secure and controlled environment in which to instigate behavior change.” Inpatient care can provide immediate help in a crisis situation, and can remove the client from dangerous situations (Barker, 1974). More so than the average outpatient program, residential facilities offer more opportunities for therapeutic contact, more monitoring of dangerous and disturbing behaviors, and a more direct evaluation of aftercare options. Assessments that are hard to do as an outpatient can be done at these facilities, and at multiple intervals, and hence the reactions to medication and other interventions can be watched particularly closely. In fact, with a well-trained staff, all activities throughout
Colgate University Journal of the Sciences 156
the day can be monitored for the sake of frequent reinforcement and constant therapeutic feedback (Kolko, 1992). Residential treatment centers can also cater to the needs of specific populations. The particular needs of adolescents usually differ in their means of communication and in their views of authority (Barker, 1974a).
One of the biggest advantages of residential treatment is the freedom to use many different treatment modalities. No single treatment model could possibly help all troubled adolescents with their various backgrounds, personalities, and problems (Barker, 1988). Therapeutic milieus at adolescent residential treatment centers are usually characterized by the following elements: consistent rules and routines, program activities, group sessions, individual psychotherapy, conflict interventions, incentive systems, special education, family treatment, parent education groups, and individual behavior modification programs (Whittaker, 1979). More specifically, certain treatments have been advocated for certain problems. For the large proportion of depressed adolescents in residential treatment, Francis & Hart (1992) recommend social skills training, cognitive therapy, and a general increase in activity. For antisocial adolescents, behavioral management and social skills training is effective (Lochman et al., 1992) and anger control programs have a demonstrated success (Feindler et al., 1986). Traditional substance abuse treatments are effective when modified to the background of a particular patient and to the particular abused substance (Kaminer & Bukstein, 1992). Cognitive behavior therapy has been very successful in residential treatments, especially when booster sessions are given after the adolescent is re-exposed to the real world and when the treatment is modified to be age-specific (Kaminer & Bukstein, 1992). Behavior modification techniques of contingency management and token economies are often effective, as many of the children in treatment facilities were never exposed to consistent and adequate systems of discipline at home (Kolko, 1992). An increase in structure that is recognized as fair and predictable motivates young people to pursue rewards and fear negative consequences (Kolko, 1992). Many of these treatment modalities are implemented concurrently within an individual, and in those cases, research is unable to demonstrate which methods are most greatly contributing to treatment success (Kolko, 1992).
Most treatment centers also involve an educational component. In 1975, all students who were labeled as emotionally disturbed were guaranteed a free, appropriate, and public education under law (Loar, 1992). Even in private facilities, the classroom can become an additional environment in which to evaluate and modify a child’s behavior, and teachers can contribute to the planning and implementing of the child’s treatment.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2008, 05:02:45 PM »
http://cafety.org/index.php?option=com_ ... &Itemid=35
http://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-02-98-00570.pdf
http://www.nida.nih.gov/NIDA_notes/NNVo ... uping.html
http://www.enterthefreudianslip.com/sur ... ential.htm
http://www.wpic.pitt.edu/aacp/Vol-15-3/Youth.html
http://www.rickross.com/reference/apolo ... ist23.html
http://www.isaccorp.org/aspen/aspen-ach ... 21.02.html

http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/oct2004/od-15.htm
Panel Finds that Scare Tactics for Violence Prevention are Harmful
Good news is that positive approaches show promise

Bethesda, Maryland — Programs that rely on “scare tactics” to prevent children and adolescents from engaging in violent behavior are not only ineffective, but may actually make the problem worse, according to an independent state-of-the-science panel convened this week by the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The panel, charged with assessing the available evidence on preventing violence and other health-risking behaviors in adolescents, announced today its assessment of the current research.

The panel found that group detention centers, boot camps, and other “get tough” programs often exacerbate problems by grouping young people with delinquent tendencies, where the more sophisticated instruct the more naïve. Similarly, the practice of transferring juveniles to the adult judicial system can be counterproductive, resulting in greater violence among incarcerated youth.

“The good news is that a number of intervention programs have been demonstrated to be effective through randomized controlled trials,” explained Dr. Robert L. Johnson, Chair of the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, who chaired the state-of-the-science panel. “We were pleased to find several programs that work, and we hope that communities will adopt them and continue to develop other interventions that incorporate the features common to successful programs.”

The panel highlighted two programs that are clearly effective in reducing arrests and out-of-home placements: Functional Family Therapy, and Multisystemic Therapy. Among the important characteristics that these programs have in common are a focus on developing social competency skills, a long-term approach, and family involvement.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2008, 05:23:58 PM »
Quote from: "GZPNT"
http://cafety.org/index.php?option=com_ ... &Itemid=35
http://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-02-98-00570.pdf
http://www.nida.nih.gov/NIDA_notes/NNVo ... uping.html
http://www.enterthefreudianslip.com/sur ... ential.htm
http://www.wpic.pitt.edu/aacp/Vol-15-3/Youth.html
http://www.rickross.com/reference/apolo ... ist23.html
http://www.isaccorp.org/aspen/aspen-ach ... 21.02.html

http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/oct2004/od-15.htm
Panel Finds that Scare Tactics for Violence Prevention are Harmful
Good news is that positive approaches show promise

Bethesda, Maryland — Programs that rely on “scare tactics” to prevent children and adolescents from engaging in violent behavior are not only ineffective, but may actually make the problem worse, according to an independent state-of-the-science panel convened this week by the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The panel, charged with assessing the available evidence on preventing violence and other health-risking behaviors in adolescents, announced today its assessment of the current research.

The panel found that group detention centers, boot camps, and other “get tough” programs often exacerbate problems by grouping young people with delinquent tendencies, where the more sophisticated instruct the more naïve. Similarly, the practice of transferring juveniles to the adult judicial system can be counterproductive, resulting in greater violence among incarcerated youth.

“The good news is that a number of intervention programs have been demonstrated to be effective through randomized controlled trials,” explained Dr. Robert L. Johnson, Chair of the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, who chaired the state-of-the-science panel. “We were pleased to find several programs that work, and we hope that communities will adopt them and continue to develop other interventions that incorporate the features common to successful programs.”

The panel highlighted two programs that are clearly effective in reducing arrests and out-of-home placements: Functional Family Therapy, and Multisystemic Therapy. Among the important characteristics that these programs have in common are a focus on developing social competency skills, a long-term approach, and family involvement.

Great post…  More and more TBS’s are not accepting children with violent behaviors and with the “tough love” style boot camps starting to fall out of favor there are less options (options for the courts also) for these kids.  It is also nice to see that they are developing local services which have promise to be effective for them , transferring them to an adult facility would be disastrous.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2008, 06:18:05 PM »
this one from woodbury is revealing....

When asked what the strengths of their program were, the answers overwhelmingly indicated that the staff was the most positive aspect. 160 respondents answered “staff”, often naming specific individuals. Many used other terms that described staff functions, such as: communication = 24, parent support = 29, structure = 57, and therapy = 47. The same pattern showed in respondent ratings of various aspects of the program, with functions carried out by staff members being rated as a very positive as program element, for example, aftercare = 4.75, communication = 4.46, consistency = 4.56, emotional growth = 5.0, and program planning = 4.54.

A similar pattern showed in the answers provided by the respondents when they were asked about weak points of the program. That is, the most common weaknesses that were identified, also related to staff. In this case, the following number of respondents identified the program weaknesses as follows: 56 indicated staff, 62 = communication, and 23 = turnover. In satisfaction averages, the lowest rating for program weakness was its therapy = 1.67. “Misled” received a rating of 1.89, suggesting promising more than can be delivered can have drastic consequences, at least in the opinion of some of the respondents. It also seems some respondents perhaps had a desire for more therapy.

Overall, there was a suggestion that the opinion of credible sources played an important role when making placement decisions. This is indicated by the high rate of satisfaction among those who found programs through Local Child Care professionals such as psychiatrists and therapists, as well as the relatively high rates of satisfaction indicated by those using independent educational consultants.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2008, 08:36:10 PM »
Quote from: GGHYT
Lets recap on our wish list:

#1- there should be unaffiliated therapists providing therapy. The family should be involved in the  therapy and the facility should be as close to the family's home as is reasonably possible.
#2 Unmonitored phone calls should be available to the adolescents
#3 A fixed or predetermined length of stay... or maybe a small window of 14 -16 months..... 6-9 months .... 30 - 60 days etc. depending on the school/program.
#4 -Unless the treatment is specifically approved by an outside therapist it must be evidence based and consistent with any applicable standard of care.
#5-reporting sexual and other abuse to the proper authorities (all staff that treat kids will be mandatory reporters of child abuse to the state where the abuse allegedly occured).
#6-The ability for the children to earn high school diplomas and take the PSAT and SAT's.

#7-- No scare tactics!!

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2008, 08:46:24 AM »
Master list of schools (we can break these down into TBS and wilderness at some point)

*  ABM Boarding Academy
    * ABM Family Preparatory
    * ABM Ministries, Inc
    * Abundant Life Academy
    * Abundant Life Academy of Kanab
    * Abundant Life Christian Boarding School
    * Academy at Canyon Creek
    * Academy at Cedar Mountain
    * Academy at Ivy Ridge
    * Academy at Sisters
    * Academy at Swift River
    * Academy of the Sierras
    * ACE
    * Achievement Valley Ranch, Inc.
    * Adirondack Leadership Expeditions
    * Affinity Foundation
    * Alberta Adolescent Recovery Center (AARC)
    * Alldredge Academy
    * Alpine Academy/Cottonwood Grove
    * Alpine Academy/Oakridge
    * Alpine Academy/Smith Home
    * Alpine Academy/Willow Creek
    * Alpine Boys Ranch
    * America's Buffalo Soldiers Re-Enactors
    * Anasazi Foundation
    * Anchor Academy
    * Appalachian Wilderness Camp
    * Arizona Boys Ranch
    * Ascent, Inc.
    * Ascent Wilderness Intervention
    * Aspen Achievement Academy
    * Aspen Education Group
    * Aspen Ranch
    * Aspiro Wilderness Program
    * Auldern Academy
    * Avalon Hills Residential Eating Disorders Treatment
    * Ayne Institute

B

* Bachelor Academy
    * Bancroft NeuroHealth Inc
    * Banham Marshalls College
    * Bell Academy
    * Bethel Boys Academy
    * Bethel Girls Academy
    * Birdseye Boys Ranch
    * Blue Hills Academy
    * Blue Mountain Family Center
    * Blue Mountain Wilderness Program
    * Boulder Creek Academy
    * Boulder Outdoor Survival School
    * Bowling Brook Preparatory School
    * Bridges Boys Academy
    * Brightway Hospital
    * Broken Shackle Ranch
    * Bromley Brook School
    * Brown Schools
    * Browning Academy

C

* Catherine Freer Wilderness
    * Camas Ranch
    * Camp Oakland
    * Canyon Creek Academy
    * Canyon State Academy
    * Canyon View Park
    * Carlbrook
    * Carolina Springs Academy
    * Casa By the Sea
    * Catalyst Residential Treatment Center
    * Cedars Academy
    * Cedar Breaks Academy
    * Cedar Ridge Academy
    * CEDU Schools
    * CERTS
    * Chad Youth Enhancement Center --- Deaths? YES; Abuses? Yes; Still in Operation? Yes
    * Cherokee Creek Boys School
    * Challenger
    * Christ Community Church
    * Clear View
    * Cold Spring Academy
    * Colorado Mountain Camps
    * Copper Canyon Academy
    * Coral Island Academy
    * Coral Reef Academy
    * Cornerstone Programs Corp.
    * Corpus Christi State School
    * Cottonwood Youth Academy
    * Crater Lake School
    * Cross Creek Manor - North Campus
    * Cross Creek Manor, LLC - Main Bldg
    * Cross Creek Manor, LLC - Pass House
    * Cross Creek Programs, LLC - South Campus

D

* Darrington Academy
    * DeSisto School
    * Devereux Foundation
    * Deveraux Glenholme
    * Discovery Academy
    * Diamond Ranch Academy - Crystal Springs
    * Diamond Ranch Academy - Lava Falls
    * Discovery Ranch
    * Distant Drums Beginnings
    * Dundee Ranch Academy

E

* Eagle Point Christian Academy
    * Eagle Ranch Academy, Inc.
    * Eagle Valley Ranch, Inc.
    * Eckerd Youth Alternatives
    * Edgemeade-Raymond A. Rogers Jr. School
    * Elan School
    * Emily Griffith Center
    * Escuala Caribe
    * Evangeline Christian Home for Girls
    * Excel Academy
    * Excelsior Youth Ranch
    * Extended Famikly, Inc.

F

* Faith Ranch
    * Falcon Ridge Ranch
    * Family Foundation School
    * Flying H Youth Ranch
    * Focal Point Academy
    * Freedom Mountain Academy
    * Froerer Counseling
    * Fulshear

G

* Gatehouse
    * Gateway Academy, LLC
    * Gerard of Iowa care facility
    * Glacier Mountain
    * Grace Christian Home & Academy for Girls
    * Grandfather Academy
    * Grandfather Home for Children
    * Greensboro Psychiatric Hospital
    * Growing Together Inc
    * Gulf Coast Academy

H

* Hanna
    * Harbor Oaks Boarding School
    * Heartlight Ministries
    * Heritage Residential Treatment Center
    * Heritage Youth Services
    * Hidden Lake Academy
    * High Impact
    * High Top Ranch School
    * Hope Ranch
    * Horizon Academy
    * House of Hope
    * House of Hope Baja Teen Recovery Center
    * Hyde School

I

* Idaho Youth Ranch
    * Inner Changes of Provo Canyon
    * Inner Connections
    * Integrity House
    * Integrity House West
    * Intermountain Hospital
    * Ironwood Maine
    * Island View RTC

J

* Jeffrey C. Wardle Academy
    * Jubilee Youth Ranch
    * Jude Thaddeus Home Recovery Program
    * Judge Rotenberg Educational Center

K

* Keystone Camp
    * Keystone City Residence
    * Kiatou Wilderness & Therpeutic Centre
    * Kids Behavioral Health
    * Kids Centers of America
    * Kids Education and Kare
    * Kids Helping Kids
    * King George School
    * Kids Helping Kids
    * Kolob Canyon Residential Treatment Center

L

* La Europe
    * Learning Independence Through Education (L.I.T.E.)
    * Leeds
    * Liahona Academy
    * Lighthouse Christian Academy
    * Life Designs
    * Life-Lines, Inc.
    * Lindon Boys Home
    * Living Well Transitions
    * Logan River Academy
    * Lone Star Expeditions
    * Lost and Found Youth Academy
    * Lott's Legacy Boarding School
    * Love Demonstrated Ministries Christian Boot Camp

M

* Majestic Ranch Academy, Inc.
    * Manolia Christian Center
    * Manuia Plantation
    * Maple Lake Academy
    * Maple Rise Properties, LLC - Tavasi
    * Maryville Academy
    * Meridell Achievement Center
    * Midnight Mountain
    * Midwest Academy
    * Milestones
    * Mission Mountain School
    * Monarch School
    * Montana Academy
    * Moonridge Academy
    * Morava Academy
    * Mount Bachelor Academy
    * Mount Carmel Youth Ranch
    * Mountain Brook Academy
    * Mountain Homes Youth Ranch
    * Mountain Park Boarding Academy

N

* National Academy of Fitness
    * National Deaf Academy
    * Nevada Horizon Academy
    * New Beginnings Maternity Home
    * New Beginning Ministry, Inc.
    * New Beginnings Rebekah Academy
    * New Directions
    * New Dominion School
    * New Haven Residential Treatment Center
    * New Horizons for Young Women
    * New Horizons Youth Ministries
    * New Horizons Youth Ranch
    * New Leaf Academy
    * Next Step for Success
    * North Star Expeditions Inc
    * North Star Center
    * Northwest Academy
    * Northwest Passages
    * North Woods of Idaho

O

* Oak Ridge Military Academy
    * Oakley School
    * Obsidian Trails
    * Odyssey Wilderness Programs
    * OnTrack
    * Open Sky Wilderness Therapy
    * Optimum Performance Institute
    * Outback Therapeutic Expeditions
    * Outward Bound
    * Oxbow Academy

P

* Pacific Coast Academy
    * Pacific Quest
    * Pacific View Retreat
    * Paradise Cove
    * Parents Helping Parents
    * Passages to Recovery
    * Pathway Academy, LLC
    * Pathway Family Center
    * Peninsula Behavioral Health
    * Peninsula Village
    * Penrith Farms
    * Phoenix Institute
    * Pillars of Hope
    * Pine Ridge Academy
    * Pine View Academy
    * Pinnacle Foundatin
    * Positive Impact Bahia de Kino
    * Pressley Ridge Ohiopyle Therapeutic Wilderness
    * Progressive Youth, Inc.
    * Project DARE Canada - Wendigo Lake Expeditions
    * Provo Canyon School

Q
R

* Rainsbrook training centre
    * Rancho Valmora
    * Red Cliff Ascent
    * Red Rock Canyon School
    * Red River Academy
    * Renaissance Adolescent Services, Inc.
    * Resolution Ranch
    * Respect Camp
    * Ridge Creek
    * Rite of Passage
    * Robert Land Academy
    * Rocklyn Academy
    * Rocky Mountain Academy
    * Rose Hill Psychiatric Rehabilitation
    * Royal Gorge Academy

S

* Salem Ranch
    * SAFE, Inc/ACE
    * Safe Harbor Boys Home
    * Safe Harbor Haven
    * Sage Walk
    * San Cristobal Ranch Academy
    * Second Chance, Inc.
    * Second Nature Entrada, LLC
    * Second Nature Wilderness Programs
    * Shamrock Educational Academy
    * Shamrock Educational Alternative
    * Shepherd's Hill Farm
    * Shortridge Academy
    * Silverado Boys Ranch
    * Sky View Academy
    * Skyline Journey
    * SLS Health
    * Solacium - New Haven LLC
    * Solacium - New Haven LLC - Parks House
    * Solacium - New Haven LLC - Roosevelt
    * Solacium - New Haven LLC - Sacagawea
    * Solacium Sunrise, LLC
    * Soltreks
    * Sorensen's Ranch School
    * Southwestern Academy
    * Spring Creek Lodge Academy
    * Spring Ridge Academy
    * Stone Mountain School
    * Straight Arrow Apex
    * Straight Inc
    * STARR Academy
    * Stepping Stones for Success, LLC
    * Summit Achievement in New England
    * Summit Quest Academy
    * SummitQuest
    * Sunhawk Academy
    * Sunrise Academy
    * Sunrise Beach
    * Sunrise Family Services
    * SUWS
    * SUWS of the Carolinas
    * SUWS Youth Program
    * Swan Valley Youth Academy - (Closed in 2006 amid abuse allegations)
    * Swift River, Academy at

T

* Talisman Programs
    * Tavasi
    * Teen Help
    * Teen Horizon
    * Temagami Academy
    * Thayer Learning Center
    * Three Rivers Montana
    * Three Springs Schools
    * Top Flight Academy
    * Tranquility Bay